0745: "Dyslexics"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Karilyn

Re: "Dyslexics" Discussion

Postby Karilyn » Thu May 27, 2010 4:36 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
Karilyn wrote:
Aluminum Falcom wrote:Actually, if you DIDN'T have Asperger's Syndrome, you wouldn't have to make a post point out everything you just did. So by "aspie'ing out" and making a post that is totally a stereotypical Aspie post, you just confirmed the opposite of what you just said.

I spy with my little eye, a Catch 22.

Not quite. Falcom said that he has Asperger's and yet acts perfectly normal. Karilyn said that in saying so (the way he did, at least), Falcom demonstrates that that is not true, presumably because saying so (in that way) is not perfectly normal. Presuming that Karilyn's assertion is correct: if Falcom had Aspergers and yet acted perfectly normal, and didn't say so (in that way), then it could be perfectly true that he had Aspergers and yet acted perfectly normal. No contradiction. We just wouldn't be having this conversation because Falcom wouldn't have said anything, or he would have said something in a way consistent with (Karilyn's conception of) perfect normality.

Reading your post gave me a headache because you got me and Falcom mixed up repeatedly, and possibly mixed me up with mszegedy. It's hard keeping track of who the heck you are talking about.

The catch 22 is that Falcom claims that Aspergers are compelled to to defend their condition and that they are not normal for it. If you protest that it is unfair to label Aspergers as incapable of acting normal, then you are in fact, not normal. Thus the only way to prove you are normal is to not protest, and thus you cannot defend the position.

To be allowed to leave the airforce, you must be insane.
If you try to leave the airforce, you are not insane.

To defend the position that Aspies can be normal, you must show you are normal.
If you defend the position that Aspies can be normal, you are not normal.
Gelsamel wrote:If you punch him in the face repeatedly then it's science.

Kalos

Postby Kalos » Thu May 27, 2010 4:44 pm UTC

I was offended by this comic.

Not because of the dyslexic thing, but because Randall's recycling a joke that's at least two decades old.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Thu May 27, 2010 7:17 pm UTC

The1exile wrote:I'd just like to say that I approve greatly of Randall's move recently away from his previous hurtful jokes about those of us who have mothers.

My mother died in a dyslexic t-shirt related accident. Not cool. Not funny. Not a good comic.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

lesmith11

Postby lesmith11 » Thu May 27, 2010 7:30 pm UTC

VectorZero wrote:While I am fully aware of the correct spelling of the words, I find that, when I handwrite, I not infrequently begin a word at the second letter and have to go back and squeeze in the first.

I do that too! I haven't always though. I'm so glad I'm not the only one, there have been so many times where I thought I was developing dyslexia.

Is that even possible?

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Thu May 27, 2010 7:41 pm UTC

Kalos wrote:I was offended by this comic.

Not because of the dyslexic thing, but because Randall's recycling a joke that's at least two decades old.

Except he subverted the joke.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

lesmith11

Postby lesmith11 » Thu May 27, 2010 7:45 pm UTC

holshy wrote:
This reminds me of a great interview question to test whether somebody *really* knows MS Excel well. "What happens when you use the tilde in a lookup key for a vlookup or hlookup?". Of those people who list "proficient in Excel" on their resumes, 90% of their heads will explode at this question.

I may (definitely) be wrong but doesn't it find the exact sequence? So "d??" could give you "dog" or just "d" etc, but "d~?~?" will give you exactly "D??"?

I would really like to know because I do use excel a lot at work and consider myself reasonably proficient :)

Kalos

Postby Kalos » Thu May 27, 2010 10:19 pm UTC

mmmcannibalism wrote:
Kalos wrote:I was offended by this comic.

Except he subverted the joke.

Except it's not a subversion, the joke is still "lol people with dyslexia often confuse letters to produce a different word" just the delivery is vaguely changed. Hell, even the joke of "trying to intentionally misspell something and then spelling it right" is about as common as it is unfunny (that is, very common).

Subverting the joke would be having the shirt and saying something like "dyslexics are just as capable of using spell check" in place of the joke t-shirt bit. Granted that's still not a very good joke, but then I don't pretend to be a comic artist to sell novelty t-shirts for a living.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu May 27, 2010 10:50 pm UTC

Karilyn wrote:Reading your post gave me a headache because you got me and Falcom mixed up repeatedly, and possibly mixed me up with mszegedy. It's hard keeping track of who the heck you are talking about.

Ack, you are right, sort of. Sorry, I was half asleep when I wrote that, and looked up at my quoted text for the relevant names, and forgot that I was replying to your reply to Falcom's reply to mszegedy, rather than to Falcom himself. I'll edit my post to reflect that:

- mszegedy claimed to be an Aspie and yet normal.
- Falcom claimed that mszegedy's claim was self-demonstrably false.

The catch 22 is that Falcom claims that Aspergers are compelled to to defend their condition and that they are not normal for it. If you protest that it is unfair to label Aspergers as incapable of acting normal, then you are in fact, not normal. Thus the only way to prove you are normal is to not protest, and thus you cannot defend the position.

Right, and my point was that that leaves the option still of not defending the position, which is, according to Falcom, what a normal person would do. Falcom claims that mszegedy's speech-act contradicts his speech-content. It's much like the famous Moore's Disbelief assertion, "x is true but I don't believe x": the speech-content is logically consistent (something can be true and yet not believed, it happens all the time), but the speech-act of claiming "x is true..." demonstrates the falsehood of the claim "...I don't believe x". Likewise, mszegedy could be an Aspie and yet act normally with no logical contradiction, but Falcom claims that asserting such demonstrates the falsehood of the claim to normalcy.

But, you can negate either the speech-content (claim either to not be an Aspie, or to not be normal), or the speech-act (don't make a claim to begin with), and be contradiction-free. "I am an Aspie and I am not normal" is perfectly consistent (even by Falcom's criteria), just like "x is true and I believe it". And silence, of course, is always just fine.

However...

To be allowed to leave the airforce, you must be insane.
If you try to leave the airforce, you are not insane.

To defend the position that Aspies can be normal, you must show you are normal.
If you defend the position that Aspies can be normal, you are not normal.

This is a valid analogy, and makes me realize that I was falsely conflating a Catch-22 with a simple paradox.

In the canonical Catch-22, the combination of the apparently contradictory assertions does not actually result in a logical paradox, rather it boils down to the simple claim that you are not allowed to leave the Air Force. "P implies Q, and P implies not-Q", just implies "not-P". Likewise, Falcom's claim boils down, as was my original point, to simply the claim that "you cannot defend the positions that Aspies can be normal", which is not a paradox in itself, but the way he makes that claim does seem to follow the structure of the canonical Catch-22, which is not, strictly speaking, paradoxical either.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Ermes Marana

Postby Ermes Marana » Thu May 27, 2010 11:05 pm UTC

A+

I actually laughed out loud at this one. It was probably more funny to me because I have never heard the "untie" joke before but still got the joke here.

pensive bosom

Postby pensive bosom » Fri May 28, 2010 1:17 am UTC

I bet that an annoying aspect of being an open Aspie is that the folks around you are constantly on the lookout for Aspie-stereotypical behaviour. So, whereas people of all neurological dispositions occasionally express themselves weirdly, anything an Aspie does that's out of the ordinary becomes a case of Aspieïng out. It's like "Girls suck at math".

AvianMinded

Postby AvianMinded » Fri May 28, 2010 2:29 am UTC

"I put the sexy in dyslexic." Random quote I found using StumbleUpon one day. Didn't see it in the discussion and wanted to share.
"There is a BIG difference between finding the shotgun and finding the guy WITH the shotgun."

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Fri May 28, 2010 3:02 am UTC

pensive bosom wrote:I bet that an annoying aspect of being an open Aspie is that the folks around you are constantly on the lookout for Aspie-stereotypical behaviour. So, whereas people of all neurological dispositions occasionally express themselves weirdly, anything an Aspie does that's out of the ordinary becomes a case of Aspieïng out.
Just how do you mean "open"? Do you go around telling every acquaintance you're neuroatypical? Just doesn't seem like something that'd come up in normal conversation.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

littlelj

Postby littlelj » Fri May 28, 2010 8:46 am UTC

Troger64 wrote:
coredumperror wrote:I'm probably just dumb, but where's the joke in this comic? I simply don't see any sort of punchline whatsoever.

there is a joke [...]
this joke is funny because the person with Dyslexia was trying to make said joke and accidentally reversed the curse and made it the correct way
it's funny because it's totally bass-ackwards and possibly trying to satirize the way that you see the stupid "UNTIE" joke EVERYWHERE

Edit: Teal Deer: Joke is funny because it's backwards

Thanks for this explanation. I thought it might be this but it didn't make me laugh. It's been a bad week for me and XKCD jokes...!
Dudes, I'm a woman.

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Fri May 28, 2010 9:34 am UTC

lesmith11 wrote:
holshy wrote:This reminds me of a great interview question to test whether somebody *really* knows MS Excel well. "What happens when you use the tilde in a lookup key for a vlookup or hlookup?". Of those people who list "proficient in Excel" on their resumes, 90% of their heads will explode at this question.

I may (definitely) be wrong but doesn't it find the exact sequence? So "d??" could give you "dog" or just "d" etc, but "d~?~?" will give you exactly "D??"?
I would really like to know because I do use excel a lot at work and consider myself reasonably proficient :)

A quick google indicates that ~ is indeed used to escape the ? and * wildcards. If you want to search for ~ itself, you need to look for "~~". If you have a string like A~B, it won't find it with vlookup, hlookup or match unless you escape the ~ inside the string. However, countif and friends behave differently - they treat ~? and ~* as escapes for the literal characters, but isolated tildes don't require escaping. So you can have vlookup tell you that the value doesn't exist while countif tells you that it does.

Karilyn

Postby Karilyn » Fri May 28, 2010 12:23 pm UTC

BioTube wrote:
pensive bosom wrote:I bet that an annoying aspect of being an open Aspie is that the folks around you are constantly on the lookout for Aspie-stereotypical behaviour. So, whereas people of all neurological dispositions occasionally express themselves weirdly, anything an Aspie does that's out of the ordinary becomes a case of Aspieïng out.
Just how do you mean "open"? Do you go around telling every acquaintance you're neuroatypical? Just doesn't seem like something that'd come up in normal conversation.

I generally consider it regrettable to inform someone I have Aspergers. So I make a specific point not to tell people unless it is relevant to the conversation (regrettably, like it to the current conversation).

If my memory serves me correctly, I never even told my husband until we had been married for 1-2 years and the subject ended coming up. For the most part, it's not relevant information that needs to be shared with people.

On a side note, the term Aspie always bugged me, always sounded a slur or insult to me, though I'm well aware that's not (most) people's intentions.
Gelsamel wrote:If you punch him in the face repeatedly then it's science.

dogugotw

Postby dogugotw » Sat May 29, 2010 9:36 am UTC

Below is an exchange from my facebook page. I posted the comic and here's what happened. The text is not modified and I'm not making this up.
AWESOME comic!

D is me.
R is my (directionally challenged) daughter
J is an acquaintance.

J
Uh, yeah, not getting it...
R
it took me a second.
J
Oh god, someone please explain it to me! I keep staring at it, trying to figure out why it's funny. What am I missing? Wah!
R
if this shirt were made to be a joke it would say: "Dyslexics of the world UNITE" inverting the "I" and the "T",and thus making a joke about being dyslexic, but since the shirt was made by dyslexics they inverted it again, and spelled it right.
J
Wow, that's complicated. :P
D
R, swing and a miss...
The joke is that dyslexic would create a shirt that says "Dyslexics of the world UNTIE" but, being dyslectic, they spelled it right making the shirt wrong. This is too funny. You must still be tired/feelin' bad.
R
No! That's what I said, or ment to say I guess.
D
IT, TI Looks the same to me... ;-)
R
i can't believe I actually demonstrated the joke by trying to explain the joke and failing due to dyslexia.
J
Um yeah, actually that's even funnier than the original joke, LOL!

Werewolf

Postby Werewolf » Sun May 30, 2010 1:51 am UTC

Karilyn wrote:On a side note, the term Aspie always bugged me, always sounded a slur or insult to me, though I'm well aware that's not (most) people's intentions.

It doesn't bug me, because all other ways of casually refering to my condition are longer and more confusing than I'd like. And I've never heard the term used as an insult.

Also, I think this comic is great.

sp9

Postby sp9 » Sun May 30, 2010 8:23 pm UTC

Thanks for the explanation. I totally didn't get the joke in this comic. I was looking for something misspelled but nothing was.

Aluminum Falcom

Postby Aluminum Falcom » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:22 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
Karilyn wrote:
Aluminum Falcom wrote:Actually, if you DIDN'T have Asperger's Syndrome, you wouldn't have to make a post point out everything you just did. So by "aspie'ing out" and making a post that is totally a stereotypical Aspie post, you just confirmed the opposite of what you just said.

I spy with my little eye, a Catch 22.

Not quite. mszegedy said that he has Asperger's and yet acts perfectly normal. Falcom said that in saying so (the way he did, at least), mszegedy demonstrates that that is not true, presumably because saying so (in that way) is not perfectly normal. Presuming that Falcom's assertion is correct: if mszegedy had Aspergers and yet acted perfectly normal, and didn't say so (in that way), then it could be perfectly true that he had Aspergers and yet acted perfectly normal. No contradiction. We just wouldn't be having this conversation because mszegedy wouldn't have said anything, or he would have said something in a way consistent with (Falcom's conception of) perfect normality.

Consider, for analogy, the sentence "This sentence contains twenty-seven words." That is self-demonstrably false, like Falcom claims mszegedy's assertion to be. However, this is no problem at all with "This sentence does not contain twenty-seven words." Ok, it doesn't. No contradiction there. Likewise with the negation of mszegedy's statement.

For it to be a "Catch-22" (or just a paradox, if you will), you would need an additional self-contradictory negation of mszegedy's speech or speech-act: either remaining silent or asserting that "I have Aspergers and yet act perfectly normal" in a perfectly normal way would also have to imply that mszegedy is not perfectly normal, OR, asserting ""I have Aspergers and therefore do not act perfectly normal" would have to count as evidence of normality.

Interestingly, if Falcom's assertion did imply a paradox, that would trivially imply his assertion's falsehood via reductio ad absurdum: if Falcom's assertion implies that either mszegedy's assertion or its negation implies a contradiction, then Falcom's assertion implies a contradiction either way and is thus false. But since Falcom's assertion does not imply a paradox, it's just a matter of unsettled opinion whether mszegedy's post was self-refuting or not.

[EDIT: names corrected]

Well, I have 2 official diagnosis' of Asperger's myself (one from an MD, one from a Psych PhD), so really I wasn't trying to make fun of Aspie's or point out a paradox as much as I was trying to directly insult my own kind.

To quote Barney Stinson "Yes offense."

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"What the Hell is an Aluminum Falcom?!"

eric_svrei

Postby eric_svrei » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:54 am UTC

Ah, dyslexic jokes. The only one I know is:

So, what do you get when you cross a dyslexic, an insomniac, and an agnostic?

Spoiler:
A guy who stays up all night wondering whether there really is a dog.

caseysousa

Postby caseysousa » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:30 am UTC

Awesome. I'm actually dyslexic, and I had to read unite several times wondering what the joke was. Haha!

RabbitWho

Postby RabbitWho » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:00 am UTC

eric_svrei wrote:Ah, dyslexic jokes. The only one I know is:

So, what do you get when you cross a dyslexic, an insomniac, and an agnostic?

Spoiler:
A guy who stays up all night wondering whether there really is a dog.

*twitch* Headway Upper-Intermediate Third Edition - Chapter 4. "My mate Norman"

SmoothBlade

Re: 0745: "Dyslexics"

Postby SmoothBlade » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:32 pm UTC

One of my favorite dyslexia jokes is one my friend (who is a dyslexic) says. "I put the sexy in dyslexia" XD
Otherwise known as Cheesy or Machete

A conservative furry! What a rarity!

Monox D. I-Fly

Re: 0745: "Dyslexics"

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:03 pm UTC

This comic reminds me to a joke I saw at 9Gag where some dyslexic people hold a sign which read "We Have Sex Daily. Sorry, We Mean Dyslexia".
Finally found one comic mentioning a Trading Card Game:
https://xkcd.com/696/

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”