0745: "Dyslexics"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

10nitro

0745: "Dyslexics"

Postby 10nitro » Wed May 26, 2010 4:03 am UTC

Title-text: And of course I had to redo this like three times because I kept writing 'UNTIE'; I kept doing 'doing 'doing it wrong' wrong' wrong.

Comment: As a lydexic, the only way I ever manage to make posts here is by re-reading them tive fimes.

[edit]Ok, so the above mistakes were intentional, there were several dyslexic mistakes that I did legitimately make while tipyng that, that I had instinctively corrected. If I recall, I attempted to write `manage' as `namaeg', that's one of the worst I've seen myself do. When typing, a lot of people call it por foor typing skills. However
1) Those kind of typing mistakes usually come from one hand being out of sync with the other. A significant portion of mine are on the same hand.
2) I do this when hand-writing too.
3) I'm a computer programmer, I'm pretty decent at typing.
The mistakes in this edit are genuine.
[/edit]
Last edited by 10nitro on Wed May 26, 2010 4:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
IT technician, GNU/Linux admin, comp. security guy
Eagle Scout
http://lukeshu.ath.cx

rwald

Re: "Dyslexics" Discussion

Postby rwald » Wed May 26, 2010 4:04 am UTC

The problem with the alt text is that this is why we have both single and double quotation marks: for nesting. Sure, the British use the single quotation mark on the outside and the double mark for the internal quote, while Americans do the opposite, but having single quotes both on the outside and inside is just wrong.

murphy42

Postby murphy42 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:04 am UTC

Whenever I want to make a good dyslexic joke, I run whatever I want to say through a rot13 filter.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed May 26, 2010 4:05 am UTC

Ten bucks says this is going in the xkcd store. (Actually, twenty. I'd need enough money to buy it.)

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Wed May 26, 2010 4:07 am UTC

Apparently I'm a really shit writer, but even after re-reading things over and over again, I'll get "my" and "by" mixed up. Or me/be. It can me really distressing for be.

Kain

Postby Kain » Wed May 26, 2010 4:11 am UTC

So yeah, I totally read that wrong.. and yet I didn't read it as untie. I have no idea what I read there, but it was neither unite nor untie, and I can't recall what it was, and it is totally stressing me out man.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Wed May 26, 2010 4:12 am UTC

I read it as "untie".
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

mszegedy

Postby mszegedy » Wed May 26, 2010 4:12 am UTC

I think this was done in the six minutes it took to upload the comic. I mean, I don't even get the joke. What are they supposed to be untying that makes this joke funny? Their shoes? Their bras?

Oh yeah, and way to offend another minority group, Randall.
Last edited by mszegedy on Wed May 26, 2010 4:19 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

xkcdfan

Postby xkcdfan » Wed May 26, 2010 4:13 am UTC

rwald wrote:The problem with the alt text is that this is why we have both single and double quotation marks: for nesting. Sure, the British use the single quotation mark on the outside and the double mark for the internal quote, while Americans do the opposite, but having single quotes both on the outside and inside is just wrong.

Using double quotes would have broken the title text. Learn you some HTML.

Glass Fractal

Postby Glass Fractal » Wed May 26, 2010 4:13 am UTC

Damn, read it as UNTIE five times before I saw what he wrote.

coredumperror

Postby coredumperror » Wed May 26, 2010 4:14 am UTC

I'm probably just dumb, but where's the joke in this comic? I simply don't see any sort of punchline whatsoever.

Troger64

Postby Troger64 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:21 am UTC

coredumperror wrote:I'm probably just dumb, but where's the joke in this comic? I simply don't see any sort of punchline whatsoever.

I'm going to assume you're being serious
and possibly look like a prick-know-it-all-who-uses-too-many-hyphens

there is a joke stating
"Dyslexics of the world, untie"
where it is someone with Dyslexia making the shirt, so the obvious mistake of "UnITe" becoming "UnTIe" (capitalized for emphasis)

this joke is funny because the person with Dyslexia was trying to make said joke and accidentally reversed the curse and made it the correct way
it's funny because it's totally bass-ackwards and possibly trying to satirize the way that you see the stupid "UNTIE" joke EVERYWHERE

Edit: Teal Deer: Joke is funny because it's backwards
Last edited by Troger64 on Wed May 26, 2010 4:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

RogerMurdock

Postby RogerMurdock » Wed May 26, 2010 4:24 am UTC

Troger64 wrote:
coredumperror wrote:I'm probably just dumb, but where's the joke in this comic? I simply don't see any sort of punchline whatsoever.

there is a joke stating
where it is someone with Dyslexia making the shirt so the obvious mistake of "UnITe" becoming "UnTIe" (capitalized for emphasis)

this joke is funny because the person with Dyslexia was trying to make said joke and accidentally reversed the curse and made it the correct way
it's funny because it's totally bass-ackwards and possibly trying to satirize the way that you see the stupid "UNTIE" joke EVERYWHERE

Thanks for the explanation. I feel dumb too but I didn't understand it at all until you posted.

oxy

Postby oxy » Wed May 26, 2010 4:24 am UTC

mszegedy wrote:I think this was done in the six minutes it took to upload the comic. I mean, I don't even get the joke. What are they supposed to be untying that makes this joke funny? Their shoes? Their bras?

How is this offensive? I'm dyslexic and I find it hilarious.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Wed May 26, 2010 4:26 am UTC

xkcdfan wrote:
rwald wrote:The problem with the alt text is that this is why we have both single and double quotation marks: for nesting. Sure, the British use the single quotation mark on the outside and the double mark for the internal quote, while Americans do the opposite, but having single quotes both on the outside and inside is just wrong.

Using double quotes would have broken the title text. Learn you some HTML.

Escaping them should do the trick
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

mszegedy

Postby mszegedy » Wed May 26, 2010 4:32 am UTC

oxy wrote:
mszegedy wrote:I think this was done in the six minutes it took to upload the comic. I mean, I don't even get the joke. What are they supposed to be untying that makes this joke funny? Their shoes? Their bras?

I dunno. I'm not dyslexic. If he wrote a comic like this about Asperger's Syndrome, colorblindedness, OCD, or paranoid schizophrenia, I'd be offended.

Yes, I have Asperger's Sydrome and OCD, and am also colorblind (only in my left eye, strangely) and schizophrenic. Yet I manage to ACT perfectly normal.

Fixman

Postby Fixman » Wed May 26, 2010 4:36 am UTC

Troger64 wrote:

there is a joke stating
where it is someone with Dyslexia making the shirt, so the obvious mistake of "UnITe" becoming "UnTIe" (capitalized for emphasis)

Thanks for the explanation. I suspected the joke was around this way, living in a Spanish-speaking country never saw a "Untie" shirt.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed May 26, 2010 4:37 am UTC

xkcdfan wrote:Using double quotes would have broken the title text. Learn you some HTML.

That's what " is for.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

overslacked

Postby overslacked » Wed May 26, 2010 4:38 am UTC

Hilarious. I actually scrunched my face up and blinked repeatedly trying to read "untie".

I agree with whoever suggested this be made into a shirt - I've love to see someone else go through that mental contortion and be in on the joke.

Gawain

Postby Gawain » Wed May 26, 2010 4:40 am UTC

I expected the alt-text to be something like "Fortunately, none of them noticed and they all thought it was hilarious."

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Wed May 26, 2010 4:46 am UTC

Before I read the text under the shirt I totally that Randall had accidentally misspelled untie.

Kow

Postby Kow » Wed May 26, 2010 4:47 am UTC

mszegedy wrote:
oxy wrote:

I dunno. I'm not dyslexic. If he wrote a comic like this about Asperger's Syndrome, colorblindedness, OCD, or paranoid schizophrenia, I'd be offended.

Yes, I have Asperger's Sydrome and OCD, and am also colorblind (only in my left eye, strangely) and schizophrenic. Yet I manage to ACT perfectly normal.

Why would you be offended? If someone made a joke about half blind people, blonde people, americans, males, nerds or any other thing I happen to be, I'm not going to get offended. There is no logical reason to take offense to something as impersonal as that.

10nitro

Postby 10nitro » Wed May 26, 2010 4:49 am UTC

phlip wrote:
xkcdfan wrote:Using double quotes would have broken the title text. Learn you some HTML.

That's what " is for.

Because of that HTML entity, I've started to say ``kwot'' instead of `quote' in spoken English.

Gawain wrote:I expected the alt-text to be something like "Fortunately, none of them noticed and they all thought it was hilarious."

This comment made me exhale through my nose. I then sipped my soda. I was suddenly worried that I had just ruined my laptop. Dyslexia: all the fun of spraying soda out your nose laughing, without the mess!
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
IT technician, GNU/Linux admin, comp. security guy
Eagle Scout
http://lukeshu.ath.cx

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed May 26, 2010 4:59 am UTC

Kow wrote:
mszegedy wrote:I dunno. I'm not dyslexic. If he wrote a comic like this about Asperger's Syndrome, colorblindedness, OCD, or paranoid schizophrenia, I'd be offended.

Why would you be offended? If someone made a joke about half blind people, blonde people, americans, males, nerds or any other thing I happen to be, I'm not going to get offended. There is no logical reason to take offense to something as impersonal as that.

The comic isn't even a joke at the expense of dyslexics. It's a joke at the expense of a tired joke at the expense of dyslexics.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Cmebeh

Postby Cmebeh » Wed May 26, 2010 5:00 am UTC

mszegedy wrote:
oxy wrote:

If I was colorblind in one eye, I think I would develop Asperger's Sydrome, OCD, and schizophrenia, because it would be like looking through those red and blue 3d glasses my whole life
Cmebeh wrote:LOL you computer scientists; isn't it obvious? P = NP is undecidable à la continuum hypothesis

gamma-normids

Postby gamma-normids » Wed May 26, 2010 5:01 am UTC

Fixman wrote:Thanks for the explanation. I suspected the joke was around this way, living in a Spanish-speaking country never saw a "Untie" shirt.

I am too, but I realised because a friend of mine used a signature like : "Bad spellers of the world, Untie!".

Argh, not dyslexic but it's so cool here that my fingers are clumsy. Had to check for misspellings at least twice..! >_<

And, Randall, don't mind about Tourette jokes... I'm fine with them. What would I do if I suddenly lost the ability to laugh at myself?

Icalasari

Postby Icalasari » Wed May 26, 2010 5:15 am UTC

mszegedy wrote:
oxy wrote:

I have partial green colour blindness, OCD, and Aspergers as well (although I have Tourrettes instead of Schizophrenia), and I wouldn't be offended if he made a joke about those disorders

Anyways, great comic, but I don't get the joke in the alt text =/

Daishi2442

Postby Daishi2442 » Wed May 26, 2010 5:28 am UTC

I find it kind of annoying how anyone making a joke at all related to an illness is automatically branded as the person being an ass. If someone made a joke about a disorder I had, I'd laugh my ass off. I definitely read the shirt as "untie" the first time.

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Wed May 26, 2010 5:33 am UTC

That actually hurt for some reason.

Maybe cause of my nephew. :|

pensive bosom

Postby pensive bosom » Wed May 26, 2010 5:40 am UTC

The cruelty of joking about Aspies is that the humour will be totally lost on them.

thanksbastards

Postby thanksbastards » Wed May 26, 2010 5:41 am UTC

glad to see I am not the only one who saw untie, and was sadly depressed at the quality of the joke. soo sad, I thought I had hit random by accident as the joke was sooo old. tehn I read the alt text, had to read the shirt thrice more, and then got it. quality.

oh and you can offend soomeone with aspergers. heh, assburgers.

herbys

Postby herbys » Wed May 26, 2010 5:48 am UTC

Troger64 wrote:

there is a joke stating

No, that's not the joke. The joke is that when dyslexics try to write a joke about dyslexics, they will most likely write it wrong (that is, right, given the double swap). So a dyslexic would try to make a joke by writing something like "dyslexia for cure discovered" and they would end up writing "cure for dyslexia found", which is not funny.

hintss

Postby hintss » Wed May 26, 2010 5:49 am UTC

meta-shirts!

also, related to typos (I just realised there was a typo in typo, and fixed it. no, really), yesterday, I switched out my nine-special-character password with a password, which if I'm right, its 44 characters, including a sentence and my old password. Anyway, I managed to mistype it thrice at school today...

herbys

Postby herbys » Wed May 26, 2010 5:52 am UTC

mszegedy wrote:
oxy wrote:

So you are telling me you didn't notice all the Asperger jokes in red font with green background Randall has been writing about you?

hexalm

Postby hexalm » Wed May 26, 2010 5:55 am UTC

Kow wrote:
mszegedy wrote:I dunno. I'm not dyslexic. If he wrote a comic like this about Asperger's Syndrome, colorblindedness, OCD, or paranoid schizophrenia, I'd be offended.

You're applying logic to human emotion, first of all. And you find that impersonal? Maybe your life makes it easy for those aspects of yourself to be invisible or unremarkable, but not everyone is so privileged.

Lots of people are X and don't take exception to jokes about X. Lots of people are X and take offense to jokes about X. I don't think it follows from that that it's OK to make jokes about X if you can find X people who are OK with the jokes.
Spoiler:
Personally I dislike when people make jokes about X group, and avoid doing it myself--but I don't necessarily find them offensive, per se, and generally laugh if they're funny, though I might check myself afterward. However, reducing groups of people to jokes generally just marginalizes them and jokes about different conditions tend to propagate misunderstanding them. There's evidence to suggest making jokes about groups of people isn't as harmless as it's tempting to think, including a recent study on sexist jokes.

Regardless of who it offends or hurts emotionally (and it can be a significant amount of hurt for some, which is enough reason for me to shy away from jokes about X group I'm not in), jokes do effectively trivialize groups of people and their problems in other ways that have real life consequences. I don't know what you meant by "half blind" exactly, but apart from possibly that group and nerds, the other groups you happen to fall into (white, blonde, male, american) are hardly vulnerable subjects of offensive jokes, or much in the way of oppression, institutional or otherwise. Generally quite the opposite.

Blonde jokes, for example, are pretty much universally misogynist, so a white man, blonde or otherwise, need not be offended. I don't know how many blind jokes there are, but half-blind could leave you unscathed in a similar fashion--or you could just be thicker skinned than other people, or you could just be lucky in your interactions with others, etc., etc. (Fill in the blank, if you like, since I don't know you apart from what you said in your posts =)

When white guys (including myself) say "I don't see what the fuss is about" when someone in X group is offended by a joke (it's just a joke, guys!), there's a good chance it's because we don't put up with the same prejudice and other institutional crap as people in various minority and vulnerable groups, and therefore fail to understand--the failure is usually ours, not the people who are in the groups being made light of who are offended. It's a matter of privilege to be in a position to say that the person who is hurt by the joke is at fault, and not the joker (I think Batman is one white male who is excepted from this, btw--it's better for him to assume the joker did it). It's basically victim-blaming.

So to weave this back into my own life (unlike your life, I'm in a position to comment on it!)--I'm lame, but that doesn't mean I can speak for all disabled people, especially because with respect to race, gender and ability to work, I'm in a good position to avoid most prejudice, institutional bias, etc leveled against people with disabilities. I'm also pretty thick skinned. However, I do know that many physical and mental health conditions like, for example, everything mszegedy listed (see also any invisible illness), are met with a striking amount of ignorance and prejudice, and misinformed humor doesn't probably help.

Jokes about X group aren't made in a vacuum, and then people happen to come by and happen to encounter it and independently decide whether they will be offended. They usually come about because someone thinks X group is funny or ridiculous already--then the ridiculing follows suit.

Erm, I think I got a bit derailed here discussing humor in general...

[not a spoiler--I just made a long long post!]

Randall's comic is at least a joke on the original dyslexic joke, but that doesn't make it immune to criticism. It at least isn't heaping mockery and shame upon dyslexic people overtly--but it's still saying "dyslexics can't even fail at failing! It's that bad!". Not an attitude I care to reinforce, personally. On a scale of puns to jokes about lynching, this comic is definitely not all that high (I guess it ranks somewhere around mocking learning disabilities). And I laughed, btw. But it's worth considering that someone out there who is dyslexic probably disagrees.

Viadd

Postby Viadd » Wed May 26, 2010 6:02 am UTC

The first step in dealing with dyslexia is admitting you have a problem.

Denial is not just a park in Alaska.

aggrav8d

Postby aggrav8d » Wed May 26, 2010 6:54 am UTC

After reading the mouseover comment on this comic, I suspect Randall is reading "Godell, Escher, Bach".
Man, my brain could not process that book. It was like... an unplayable record or something.

Pandaburn

Postby Pandaburn » Wed May 26, 2010 7:11 am UTC

Is this comic SMBC now?

MedO

Postby MedO » Wed May 26, 2010 7:21 am UTC

I actually read it correctly the first time despite knowing the "untie" joke (though I did read it twice to make sure). Could have something to do with being a pgdp.net proofreader :)

Arky

Postby Arky » Wed May 26, 2010 7:27 am UTC

I assume the alt-text is a ref to doing' the ron ron ron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqgtsai2aKY
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”