0745: "Dyslexics"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

cypher

Re: "Dyslexics" Discussion

Postby cypher » Wed May 26, 2010 5:11 pm UTC

xkcdfan wrote:
rwald wrote:The problem with the alt text is that this is why we have both single and double quotation marks: for nesting. Sure, the British use the single quotation mark on the outside and the double mark for the internal quote, while Americans do the opposite, but having single quotes both on the outside and inside is just wrong.

Using double quotes would have broken the title text. Learn you some HTML.

This is what escape characters are for.
find the limit as x approaches infinity of
___x___
(x2+1)1/2
using L'Hôpital's rule.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 26, 2010 5:12 pm UTC

Agent Foxtrot wrote:I found today's strip to be wholly unfunny, as most of them have been for the past month or two. I think Randall ran out of ideas.
Everyone knows xkcd jumped the shark with Petit Trees (sketch). It's just been a slow, never ending slide downhill since then. He should probably just stop now, while people still have some good memories left.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Wed May 26, 2010 5:19 pm UTC

There is no joke for which someone will not be insulted... The funnier the joke, the more likely it is to insult a greater audience.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

A'Tuin

Postby A'Tuin » Wed May 26, 2010 5:45 pm UTC

Re-reading this topic I can't actually find an angry dyslexic (Their are probably a few knocking around though). All I can seem to find is people really angry on our behalf. Thanks and all but maybe they should all check with the dyslexics before defending us :-/

ANYWAY
less with angry people this is a comic, they are meant to make you smile, so lets hear a few laughs ok? please?

Chad

Postby Chad » Wed May 26, 2010 5:49 pm UTC

Viadd wrote:The first step in dealing with dyslexia is admitting you have a problem.

Denial is not just a park in Alaska.

I thought this joke was so funny I registered an account just so I could quote it.

LTK

Postby LTK » Wed May 26, 2010 6:12 pm UTC

So it's a joke about a dyslexic failing to make a joke about dyslexia. A backwards-joke. It was also very backwards-funny.

Edrees

Postby Edrees » Wed May 26, 2010 6:52 pm UTC

I suspect that 80% of people who claim to suffer from Dyslexia do not actually suffer from it, but just once in awhile runs through things quick and mess up words.

this comic made me laugh hard. alt text is meh though

brngrhm84

Postby brngrhm84 » Wed May 26, 2010 6:56 pm UTC

Does noone remember that Gary Larson did a Farside comic with this exact same joke like 20 years ago? Literally the exact same words, on a banner, held up by a bunch of marching dyslexics.

*Just got that it says UNITE, not UNTIE. Now I feel Sutipd.

Patteroast

Postby Patteroast » Wed May 26, 2010 7:10 pm UTC

An explanation of the alt-text (if needed...)

Doing it wrong: misspelling "Dyslexics of the World Unite" as 'untie' because of dyslexia.

Doing 'doing it wrong' wrong: while trying to make a joke about the 'untie' spelling, accidentally spelling it correctly as 'unite'.

Doing "doing 'doing it wrong' wrong" wrong: while trying to make a joke about messing up the 'untie' joke by spelling 'unite' correctly, accidentally spelling unite as 'untie', which would undo the meta-joke. The alt-text is saying this happened but was corrected to doing it wrong x 2.

Doing "doing 'doing 'doing it wrong' wrong' wrong" wrong: if Randall had accidentally misspelled the word 'untie' in the alt-text.

:lol: :P

holshy

Postby holshy » Wed May 26, 2010 7:13 pm UTC

xkcdfan wrote:Using double quotes would have broken the title text. Learn you some HTML.

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Escaping them should do the trick

BA-
phlip wrote:That's what " is for.

ZING!

This reminds me of a great interview question to test whether somebody *really* knows MS Excel well. "What happens when you use the tilde in a lookup key for a vlookup or hlookup?". Of those people who list "proficient in Excel" on their resumes, 90% of their heads will explode at this question.

Cmebeh wrote:If I was colorblind in one eye, I think I would develop Asperger's Sydrome, OCD, and schizophrenia, because it would be like looking through those red and blue 3d glasses my whole life
-sig'd

bschoner

Postby bschoner » Wed May 26, 2010 7:20 pm UTC

This strip reminds me of a geeky but relevant anecdote:

Some years ago, I was playing in a Shadowrun RPG tournament at Gen Con. Without going into laborious details, one of the characters (a troll) was given information by a contact that we should go to a certain location and go down the left-hand corridor. When the party did so, the GM became very perplexed and took the troll's player aside for a few minutes; they both came back to the table laughing hysterically.

It turned out that the troll's character sheet mentioned that he was dyslexic. The GM reflected this by giving the wrong directions to the player, thus assuming that the party would go down the wrong passage, and comic/violent mayhem would ensue. However, the player playing the troll at our table was ALSO dyslexic, and had unwittingly auto-corrected and sent us down the correct route after all.

One of my most memorable RPG moments. And we ended up winning the tournament.

*And yes, I'm aware that left-right confusion is not always connected to dyslexia (and may be entirely unrelated). This was the explanation given at the time, and I was in no position to refute it.

acd

Postby acd » Wed May 26, 2010 7:56 pm UTC

mszegedy wrote:Oh yeah, and way to offend another minority group, Randall.

I think that your problem might be attitude - disliking people, rather that dyslexia

Saui

Postby Saui » Wed May 26, 2010 8:08 pm UTC

neoliminal wrote:There is no joke for which someone will not be insulted... The funnier the joke, the more likely it is to insult a greater audience.

I registered to say one thing:
This always holds true until you are the target of the joke.

P.S. comic is not funny, either.

wigglyworm91

Postby wigglyworm91 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:54 pm UTC

xkcdfan wrote:
rwald wrote:The problem with the alt text is that this is why we have both single and double quotation marks: for nesting. Sure, the British use the single quotation mark on the outside and the double mark for the internal quote, while Americans do the opposite, but having single quotes both on the outside and inside is just wrong.

Using double quotes would have broken the title text. Learn you some HTML.

Using entities (such as " and ' ) would not have broken the title text. Learn you some HTML.

Edit: Argh, ninja'd. Oh well. I'll keep this here anyway.
Need more help or clarification? Feel free to PM me.
Fractal_Tangent wrote:(speaking of the xkcd fora)
I have never seen anyone on any website get a virtual beating for lack of proper grammar and capitalization.
I like it here.

Callista

Postby Callista » Wed May 26, 2010 9:02 pm UTC

For the record, "Aspies don't get jokes" is an incorrect stereotype. We do; and we make them up, too. Often about Asperger's itself.

Troger64

Postby Troger64 » Wed May 26, 2010 9:25 pm UTC

brngrhm84 wrote:Does noone remember that Gary Larson did a Farside comic with this exact same joke like 20 years ago? Literally the exact same words, on a banner, held up by a bunch of marching dyslexics.

*Just got that it says UNITE, not UNTIE. Now I feel Sutipd.

i do believe that was the dimwits of america

and they were holding it upside-down

Aluminum Falcom

Postby Aluminum Falcom » Wed May 26, 2010 9:32 pm UTC

mszegedy wrote:
oxy wrote:
mszegedy wrote:I think this was done in the six minutes it took to upload the comic. I mean, I don't even get the joke. What are they supposed to be untying that makes this joke funny? Their shoes? Their bras?

Oh yeah, and way to offend another minority group, Randall.

How is this offensive? I'm dyslexic and I find it hilarious.

I dunno. I'm not dyslexic. If he wrote a comic like this about Asperger's Syndrome, colorblindedness, OCD, or paranoid schizophrenia, I'd be offended.

Yes, I have Asperger's Sydrome and OCD, and am also colorblind (only in my left eye, strangely) and schizophrenic. Yet I manage to ACT perfectly normal.

Actually, if you DIDN'T have Asperger's Syndrome, you wouldn't have to make a post point out everything you just did. So by "aspie'ing out" and making a post that is totally a stereotypical Aspie post, you just confirmed the opposite of what you just said.
"What the Hell is an Aluminum Falcom?!"

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Wed May 26, 2010 9:39 pm UTC

So I thought/ "Oh Randall, this has been done before, laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame" Then I got it, and I laughed out loud. Jolly Good Show
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Karilyn

Postby Karilyn » Wed May 26, 2010 9:51 pm UTC

Aluminum Falcom wrote:Actually, if you DIDN'T have Asperger's Syndrome, you wouldn't have to make a post point out everything you just did. So by "aspie'ing out" and making a post that is totally a stereotypical Aspie post, you just confirmed the opposite of what you just said.

I spy with my little eye, a Catch 22.

I am not amused :roll:
Gelsamel wrote:If you punch him in the face repeatedly then it's science.

mszegedy

Postby mszegedy » Wed May 26, 2010 10:05 pm UTC

herbys wrote:
mszegedy wrote:
oxy wrote:
mszegedy wrote:I think this was done in the six minutes it took to upload the comic. I mean, I don't even get the joke. What are they supposed to be untying that makes this joke funny? Their shoes? Their bras?

I dunno. I'm not dyslexic. If he wrote a comic like this about Asperger's Syndrome, colorblindedness, OCD, or paranoid schizophrenia, I'd be offended.

So you are telling me you didn't notice all the Asperger jokes in red font with green background Randall has been writing about you?

I did.

Aluminum Falcom wrote:
mszegedy wrote:
oxy wrote:

Yes, I have Asperger's Sydrome and OCD, and am also colorblind (only in my left eye, strangely) and schizophrenic. Yet I manage to ACT perfectly normal.

Actually, if you DIDN'T have Asperger's Syndrome, you wouldn't have to make a post point out everything you just did. So by "aspie'ing out" and making a post that is totally a stereotypical Aspie post, you just confirmed the opposite of what you just said.

What?

Karilyn

Postby Karilyn » Wed May 26, 2010 10:07 pm UTC

mszegedy wrote:What?

He's busy stereotyping all Aspergians based on your actions.
Gelsamel wrote:If you punch him in the face repeatedly then it's science.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed May 26, 2010 10:14 pm UTC

Feel free to make fun of Asperger's all you want; if you can find an actually humorous way to make fun of Asperger's, of course. There isn't much to make fun of, unless you include the absent-minded professor archetype. (I have Asperger's, barely, before anyone complains).

I do get offended when people see abortion as the solution for autism (Asperger's is a form of autism) should screening become available. I fail to see a difference between abortion for autism and, say, abortion for ginger hair. (No, I'm not a redhead).

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Wed May 26, 2010 10:29 pm UTC

oxy wrote:

That's because you have a sense of humor.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

e47

Postby e47 » Wed May 26, 2010 11:02 pm UTC

I looked at this one for a while and didn't get why it was funny, so I came here to figure out what it was I wasn't getting. I've never heard the "Dyslexics of the world untie" before so... that was it.

Edrees

Postby Edrees » Wed May 26, 2010 11:45 pm UTC

People are never going to find this funny if they haven't seen the joke about "Dyslexics untie" at least once a year in the past 5 years. But if they have, like myself, it's hilarious.

Eikinkloster

Postby Eikinkloster » Thu May 27, 2010 12:01 am UTC

hexalm wrote:Lots of people are X and don't take exception to jokes about X. Lots of people are X and take offense to jokes about X. I don't think it follows from that that it's OK to make jokes about X if you can find X people who are OK with the jokes.

You nailed it.
My criteria is usually to substitute X with "black". It always make it sound offensive. But then some asses will come and say X is in no way comparable with being black, because, because, NOTHING compares with being black and there we go again, even when X is something that drives many people to suicide, and the last time I heard of people being driven to suicide because of ethnic prejudice it was Brazilian Indians. Yeah, they off themselves a lot here.

EDIT: oh, by the way, my actual point is that there is no avoiding being offensive, regardless of what X is, black or otherwise, so I don't really care.
Well, I do care a bit when X is actually black, because I live in society and I try to go by without getting shot or something.
Last edited by Eikinkloster on Thu May 27, 2010 12:18 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Chaos Reigns!

f(x)

Postby f(x) » Thu May 27, 2010 12:13 am UTC

I put the sex in dyslexic.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu May 27, 2010 12:41 am UTC

f(x) wrote:I put the sexy in dyslexic.

Fixed. Nothing major; this is just better.

Дерсу Узала

Postby Дерсу Узала » Thu May 27, 2010 12:43 am UTC

Reminds me of the anti- ‘anti-missile’ missile’ missiles of the cold war.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu May 27, 2010 1:44 am UTC

Kinda funny but the alt-text beat the joke into the ground with extreme mallets.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

presson312

Postby presson312 » Thu May 27, 2010 1:49 am UTC

I'm dyslexic, and I read the shirt three times before I read the line under it...wondered if I had accidentally corrected the "mistake..."

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Thu May 27, 2010 3:05 am UTC

I kept looking at the word "Dyslexics" over and over... wondering if it was spelling right. I had no problem with the rest and wasn't sure I should laugh until I was positive about the "Dyslexics" part.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

Justinlrb

Postby Justinlrb » Thu May 27, 2010 5:07 am UTC

It's contagious! I had some difficulty with d vs. b and 9 vs. p when I was a child. Fractions written at a slant were tragically frustrating for a time. I got over all that. But now that I teach English to Arabs, I find myself writing p when I mean b.
226Ra --> 222Rn + α

ajnsit

Postby ajnsit » Thu May 27, 2010 7:20 am UTC

Gawain wrote:I expected the alt-text to be something like "Fortunately, none of them noticed and they all thought it was hilarious."

Ha ha, now THAT would have made this comic actually funny...

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu May 27, 2010 8:35 am UTC

A'Tuin wrote:Re-reading this topic I can't actually find an angry dyslexic. All I can seem to find is people really angry on our behalf. Thanks and all but maybe they should all check with the dyslexics before defending us :-/

A'Unit is right. We should all group up and start railing on those dyspraxic fuckers instead. They suck at DDR.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

CaydenA

Postby CaydenA » Thu May 27, 2010 8:53 am UTC

My poor dyslexic brain wants this T-shirt. Would have been very useful for my chemistry exam yesterday while I was inventing new terminology.
Want it for today's astrophysics exam too actually. I have an awful tendancy for swapping words around.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu May 27, 2010 10:22 am UTC

Karilyn wrote:
Aluminum Falcom wrote:Actually, if you DIDN'T have Asperger's Syndrome, you wouldn't have to make a post point out everything you just did. So by "aspie'ing out" and making a post that is totally a stereotypical Aspie post, you just confirmed the opposite of what you just said.

I spy with my little eye, a Catch 22.

Not quite. mszegedy said that he has Asperger's and yet acts perfectly normal. Falcom said that in saying so (the way he did, at least), mszegedy demonstrates that that is not true, presumably because saying so (in that way) is not perfectly normal. Presuming that Falcom's assertion is correct: if mszegedy had Aspergers and yet acted perfectly normal, and didn't say so (in that way), then it could be perfectly true that he had Aspergers and yet acted perfectly normal. No contradiction. We just wouldn't be having this conversation because mszegedy wouldn't have said anything, or he would have said something in a way consistent with (Falcom's conception of) perfect normality.

Consider, for analogy, the sentence "This sentence contains twenty-seven words." That is self-demonstrably false, like Falcom claims mszegedy's assertion to be. However, this is no problem at all with "This sentence does not contain twenty-seven words." Ok, it doesn't. No contradiction there. Likewise with the negation of mszegedy's statement.

For it to be a "Catch-22" (or just a paradox, if you will), you would need an additional self-contradictory negation of mszegedy's speech or speech-act: either remaining silent or asserting that "I have Aspergers and yet act perfectly normal" in a perfectly normal way would also have to imply that mszegedy is not perfectly normal, OR, asserting ""I have Aspergers and therefore do not act perfectly normal" would have to count as evidence of normality.

Interestingly, if Falcom's assertion did imply a paradox, that would trivially imply his assertion's falsehood via reductio ad absurdum: if Falcom's assertion implies that either mszegedy's assertion or its negation implies a contradiction, then Falcom's assertion implies a contradiction either way and is thus false. But since Falcom's assertion does not imply a paradox, it's just a matter of unsettled opinion whether mszegedy's post was self-refuting or not.

[EDIT: names corrected]
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Thu May 27, 2010 10:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

bag

Postby bag » Thu May 27, 2010 12:15 pm UTC

Saui wrote:
neoliminal wrote:There is no joke for which someone will not be insulted... The funnier the joke, the more likely it is to insult a greater audience.

I registered to say one thing:
This always holds true until you are the target of the joke.

P.S. comic is not funny, either.

I'd disagree, this holds true even if you ARE the target of the joke.

If you can't laugh at yourself then you have no right laughing at anything, since as as a whole, its all at someones/somegroups/somethings expense.

P.S.
Gawain wrote:I expected the alt-text to be something like "Fortunately, none of them noticed and they all thought it was hilarious."

Viadd wrote:The first step in dealing with dyslexia is admitting you have a problem.
Denial is not just a park in Alaska.

These 2 posts made this thread for me :p

Sire Styx

Postby Sire Styx » Thu May 27, 2010 2:07 pm UTC

I registered just so I could complain about the people complaining.
I'm not saying it's funny to mock people who're dyslexic, but I assumed the joke in this comic was more toward the expense of the "joke about dyslexics."

The original joke has been around for so long that any tiny, remote particle of funny that was in it originaly has been driven out, beaten up and burried in a hole.
From my point of view the only people that are mocking or whatever dyslexics are the people who went "oh that says untie." because that's what they've come to expect from a joke like that.

Most jokes I find (or can remember) always have someone as "the butt of the joke" so to speak.
So to not offened people 97.6% of all jokes would have to go. Sometimes I think the only person you can mock and get away with is a middle-aged English (or possibly American) straight white male who has no disabilities, is of average handsomeness/intelligence with brown/black hair, with no weight problems and is perfectly "normal" in every sense. If you slightly deviate from that then there is a huge uproar.

(btw I quickly looked through the posts and it seemed that mostly people without dyslexia were complaining and a few that were dyslexic found it funny.)

But this is my POV, you are entitled to your own and to say you disagree with mine :)

The1exile

Postby The1exile » Thu May 27, 2010 3:05 pm UTC

I'd just like to say that I approve greatly of Randall's move recently away from his previous hurtful jokes about those of us who have mothers.
mosc wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:The military wrote custom PS3 software and bought a bunch of them for some very specific application.

A modern warfare lan party, duh.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”