0746: "Birth"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

neoliminal

Re: "Birth" Discussion

Postby neoliminal » Fri May 28, 2010 2:19 pm UTC

rigwarl wrote:The alt text is referencing:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/03/ ... 8261.shtml

I play too many video games.

Oi.

I like how people suggest that GTA inspires killing sprees but the more likely scenario is that people who are prone to violent killing sprees play violent video games. In the example case the man grabbed a policeman's gun, shot him and two others in the head and escaped in a police cruiser. If GTA trained this man, then how did he know how to A) chamber a round in a Glock, B) switch the safety off, C) aim a handgun with enough precision to take head shots from as far away as 15 yards.

This person obviously knew about guns, and was a decent shot. Something no part of GTA can teach you.

This is all Duck Hunt's fault, QED.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

tetsujin

Postby tetsujin » Fri May 28, 2010 3:16 pm UTC

Well, look who's talking! Not only does he have Bruce Willis's voice, but John McClane's bad-assery, too!
---GEC
I want to create a truly new command-line shell for Unix.
Anybody want to place bets on whether I ever get any code written?

Caligari_87

Postby Caligari_87 » Fri May 28, 2010 3:43 pm UTC

This was good, but would have been sooooooooooooo much better with a joke about spawn camping.

8-)

devilish

Postby devilish » Fri May 28, 2010 3:53 pm UTC

neoliminal wrote:
Oi.

I like how people suggest that GTA inspires killing sprees but the more likely scenario is that people who are prone to violent killing sprees play violent video games. In the example case the man grabbed a policeman's gun, shot him and two others in the head and escaped in a police cruiser. If GTA trained this man, then how did he know how to A) chamber a round in a Glock, B) switch the safety off, C) aim a handgun with enough precision to take head shots from as far away as 15 yards.

This person obviously knew about guns, and was a decent shot. Something no part of GTA can teach you.

This is all Duck Hunt's fault, QED.

In my opinion, today's comic was meh, but totally worth it for generating neoliminals comment above ---^

nanotube

Postby nanotube » Fri May 28, 2010 3:57 pm UTC

Caligari_87 wrote:This was good, but would have been sooooooooooooo much better with a joke about spawn camping.

8-)

haha indeed. sorry to say, but that p-a is /so/ much more funny than this xkcd is. :)

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Fri May 28, 2010 4:04 pm UTC

Great job, Megan, playing GTA while pregnant. You were supposed to play Big Brain Academy.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Fri May 28, 2010 5:57 pm UTC

NO!!! NO!!! NO!!! Megan's having another man's baby?! NO!!! NO!!! NO!!! I will never read xkcd again. My heart is broken in more pieces than there are grains of sand on the beach. The fire of a thousand hells will never compare to the torment my soul is experiencing. A million global warmings will never drown the angst I feel. The blackest black hole is still brighter than my view of the world now. Damn you Randall! Damn you to hell!
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

vviipp

Postby vviipp » Fri May 28, 2010 7:10 pm UTC

crawfishpersonguy wrote:well this was a shitty little comic, wasn't it

Why don't you all see for yourself.

I can only assume he got the gun in there the same way Stewie Griffin got a map of Europe, before the writers turned him gay(-ish).
And a ticking time bomb.
Last edited by vviipp on Sat May 29, 2010 6:27 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Maskami

Postby Maskami » Fri May 28, 2010 7:17 pm UTC

For a moment I was sure this was going to be an internet/tubes joke.

BenWarden

Postby BenWarden » Fri May 28, 2010 7:31 pm UTC

In my minds eye, after panel 3 the Doctors words lead into the Beastie Boys.

Doctor: Looks like the barrel of a...

Beastie Boys: gun, son of a gun, son of a b*tch getting paid getting rich

And the last panel is panned out to include the proud papa looking on from the corner. He is of course an anthropomorphic gun.

Its the only explaination of how that gun got in there. It is a permanent part of SonofaGun. This sequence of images could also serve as the intro to a new cheaply produced micro hit on Adult Swim, titled for the protaganist. Stoners would watch this at 4 in the morning and somehow it would come up in conversation at parties.

Anybody else? *Crickets* Okay then... weird as I wanna be.

ubel

Postby ubel » Fri May 28, 2010 8:36 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:So, the doctor wants Megan to cause 6 more weeks of winter?

Was that a brilliant, veiled mock on pregnancy, or were you merely alluding to Ground Hog day? :)

Either way, haha!

Praetor

Postby Praetor » Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 pm UTC

neoliminal wrote: If GTA trained this man, then how did he know how to A) chamber a round in a Glock, B) switch the safety off, C) aim a handgun with enough precision to take head shots from as far away as 15 yards.

Well,
A) Cops usually carry with a round in the chamber. (Especially with glocks, with a Sig or somesuch they'd probably carry with a round in the chamber, but decocked).
B) Glocks don't have safeties (outside the three passive measures to prevent accidental discharge; there are no safeties to "switch", you just pull the trigger).
C) You are right on here, pistols are a lot harder to aim than movies/games suggest, someone with no prior experience would be a very crappy shot.

And I'll add that I learned none of this from games.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Sat May 29, 2010 12:28 am UTC

Praetor wrote:A) Cops usually carry with a round in the chamber. (Especially with glocks, with a Sig or somesuch they'd probably carry with a round in the chamber, but decocked).

Some do, some don't. Since you are right on about point B), I'm going to suggest that any officer worth a damn does NOT have one chambered because it means anyone could walk next to him and pull the trigger for him while it was still in the holster. But, I could be wrong about these things. I'll ask some of my cop buddies.

Praetor wrote:B) Glocks don't have safeties (outside the three passive measures to prevent accidental discharge; there are no safeties to "switch", you just pull the trigger).

I thought that safety looking thing there was a safety. It isn't, you are 100% correct, that's the magazine eject.

Praetor wrote:C) You are right on here, pistols are a lot harder to aim than movies/games suggest, someone with no prior experience would be a very crappy shot.

Damn, at least I got one thing right. ;-)
[hint, scary!]

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Sat May 29, 2010 12:49 am UTC

If I can trust what I've read, the Glock is one side of the debate on the best way to carry a gun when you can expect to need it quickly - cocked and locked(ie, safety on) or uncocked and unlocked(or just lacking a safety). Besides, if you can fire a cop's gun while he's got it holstered, he doesn't deserve the consideration.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat May 29, 2010 1:10 am UTC

ubel wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:So, the doctor wants Megan to cause 6 more weeks of winter?

Was that a brilliant, veiled mock on pregnancy, or were you merely alluding to Ground Hog day? :)

Either way, haha!

Both, actually. But not my brilliance; http://www.xkcd.com/431/

Praetor

Postby Praetor » Sat May 29, 2010 1:46 am UTC

neoliminal wrote:
Praetor wrote:A) Cops usually carry with a round in the chamber. (Especially with glocks, with a Sig or somesuch they'd probably carry with a round in the chamber, but decocked).

Some do, some don't. Since you are right on about point B), I'm going to suggest that any officer worth a damn does NOT have one chambered because it means anyone could walk next to him and pull the trigger for him while it was still in the holster. But, I could be wrong about these things. I'll ask some of my cop buddies.

Praetor wrote:B) Glocks don't have safeties (outside the three passive measures to prevent accidental discharge; there are no safeties to "switch", you just pull the trigger).

I thought that safety looking thing there was a safety. It isn't, you are 100% correct, that's the magazine eject.

Praetor wrote:C) You are right on here, pistols are a lot harder to aim than movies/games suggest, someone with no prior experience would be a very crappy shot.

True, it could be either way depending on an individual cop's preferences, but it's my understanding that the glock is sort of designed to be carried with a round in the chamber (it's got the fancy trigger and other safety measures to keep it from going off if dropped or caught on a holster), and it would be sort of unwieldy to rack the slide if you need to immediately use the gun (especially under stress, I imagine it'd be easy to not pull the slide back far enough). I don't think having someone grab an officer's firearm is usually a huge consideration compared to allowing the officer to quickly draw and fire (it's more likely that a cop will be confronted by someone who already has a gun/knife/etc, than by someone who's bold enough to grab their gun)

Although, my experience with glocks doesn't extend past the shooting range, I'm mainly going off what my dad (retired cop) has said.

mszegedy

Postby mszegedy » Sat May 29, 2010 3:26 am UTC

Praetor wrote:
neoliminal wrote:

True, it could be either way depending on an individual cop's preferences, but it's my understanding that the glock is sort of designed to be carried with a round in the chamber (it's got the fancy trigger and other safety measures to keep it from going off if dropped or caught on a holster), and it would be sort of unwieldy to rack the slide if you need to immediately use the gun (especially under stress, I imagine it'd be easy to not pull the slide back far enough). I don't think having someone grab an officer's firearm is usually a huge consideration compared to allowing the officer to quickly draw and fire (it's more likely that a cop will be confronted by someone who already has a gun/knife/etc, than by someone who's bold enough to grab their gun)

Although, my experience with glocks doesn't extend past the shooting range, I'm mainly going off what my dad (retired cop) has said.

The sheer amount of knowledge about this that the *common* person has is ridiculous. I doubt either of you specialize in the manufacture (or God forbid usage) of propulsion weapons.

Praetor

Postby Praetor » Sat May 29, 2010 4:16 am UTC

mszegedy wrote:The sheer amount of knowledge about this that the *common* person has is ridiculous. I doubt either of you specialize in the manufacture (or God forbid usage) of propulsion weapons.

Is it really ridiculous for people to be informed about how firearms work? I for one am very much pro-2nd amendment and shooting is a big hobby of mine, so knowledge of their operation is vital as far as safety goes (I won't pick up a gun that I don't know how to safely handle), but even for someone who hates guns, I think it's useful to know how they function (God forbid you're in a situation where someone is threatening you with a gun, being at least a little bit informed about how that gun functions is going to be more useful than nothing).

And also, if you're going to take an opinion on gun control, knowledge about the items in question is pretty darn important :wink: .

Wow this has gone off topic... :lol:

-.Mateo.-

Postby -.Mateo.- » Sat May 29, 2010 6:23 am UTC

xnick wrote:I didn't get it. Who's Megan?

:shock:
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

twig-z

Postby twig-z » Sat May 29, 2010 7:12 am UTC

haha, no one has mentioned it yet... this is a STICK up! perhaps the most lame joke in this comic but the funniest i found :P

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Sat May 29, 2010 11:07 am UTC

My 12 yrs old cousin used to play GTA 3 7 years ago. Nothing seems to have happened to his life, except for being fantasized with guns guns guns...

rileyrulesu

Postby rileyrulesu » Sat May 29, 2010 1:56 pm UTC

I guess megan really does like under pressure.

jendral_hxr

Postby jendral_hxr » Sat May 29, 2010 2:39 pm UTC

I think the best part of GTA isn't killing people with guns, it's stealing fancy car and ROAR!! Plus, getting the 4th (or 5th) police wanted-level by BAZOOKA'in police cars and officers is also one of the best.
I wish I weren't so stupid

bmuenzer
Location: On the Internet (where nobody knows you're an animagus)

Postby bmuenzer » Sat May 29, 2010 10:45 pm UTC

mszegedy wrote:It would be interesting to know how Randall even thought of this comic. I mean, who goes around associating birth and stick ups?

Someone thinking about stick moms giving birth to stick babies?

edbdqt

Postby edbdqt » Sun May 30, 2010 5:54 am UTC

And not a mention of Vagina, the "banned" video game that takes place in one?

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Sun May 30, 2010 1:03 pm UTC

mszegedy wrote:The sheer amount of knowledge about this that the *common* person has is ridiculous. I doubt either of you specialize in the manufacture (or God forbid usage) of propulsion weapons.

It doesn't take specialization to read articles on the features of a Glock. It does help to have family members and friends who are or were police officers. It also is fairly easy to fire a gun at a range if you wish (and I have.)

The sheer amount of assumption about what the common person has is ridiculous. I doubt anyone here on XKCD is common.
[hint, scary!]

xyzyxx

Postby xyzyxx » Mon May 31, 2010 2:12 am UTC

I'd date a girl who could 'pull' like that.

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Mon May 31, 2010 2:15 am UTC

For those people wondering how the gun got in there, I'm pretty sure this comic is the end result of this one.

Harlan Kilstein

Postby Harlan Kilstein » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:06 am UTC

Shouldn't it be the other way around, with the doc holding the baby hostage until he settles the bill?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”