0273: "Electromagnetic Spectrum"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:54 pm UTC

If it's quiet enough (as in impossibly quiet in the city), I can hear the blood flowing in my ears. It's really eerie being somewhere that quiet as it happens so rarely.

Edit: Hehe, I made a pun.... ear-ie :D

legato

Postby legato » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:57 pm UTC

poster++
I'm not a troll, I'm just an idiot

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:58 pm UTC

impressed by the tampax reference. That took a little bit of throwing caution to the wind, as many males are so disgusted by such things they don't even find them funny. Props.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

bippy

Re: Gravitational waves

Postby bippy » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:00 pm UTC

duetosymmetry wrote:Gravitational waves are not electromagnetic. Perhaps it is supposed to be a joke, but 1) I don't understand the joke 2) some people might actually think that gravitational radiation is electromagnetic.
I propose that gravitational radiation be moved to the 'other types of waves' section.

FFS, of course it's a joke. Do you think Jack Black has heat vision or that Blogorays exist, or that potatoes are in the hard x-ray region of the spectrum? Lighten up.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:03 pm UTC

AtomicLlama wrote:
I can tell when there's a TV on anywhere inside my house, even if it's muted

Me too. I wondered if anyone else could.

I can hear it... it's kinda annoying.

Worse, though, are these things, probably noone outside of Australia's seen them... to stop kangaroos from jumping into the road and then just standing there, waiting to be hit by cars, people buy these things that they strap onto the front bumper that emits a loud, obscenely-high-pitched chirp to scare the 'roos away. Now, this is supposed to be above the threshold of hearing, but I can hear it (and so can my sister).

Annoyingly, the people who actually use the things can't, and leave them turned on all the time. Often, even in the middle of town, there'll be a car driving past making this painful chirping noise, just in case there's a roo hiding behind the supermarket lying in wait to jump out at an unsuspecting motorist.

Gah... so annoying... worse than fingernails on a blackboard...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

quasihellfish

Postby quasihellfish » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:03 pm UTC

Wait a minute, I thought it was Miller "Lite". You know, 'cause they make it without "GHT". Maybe he was thinking of Coors Light. Then the entire image would be completely accurate, and I could sleep tonight. :lol:

p.s. Yes, I too registered just for that smartaleck comment. And I'd also buy the poster.

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:14 pm UTC

there should be soup waves ^_^ oh well v. good again.
in ur beanz makin u eveel

j.m.p

Postby j.m.p » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:49 pm UTC

phlip wrote:
AtomicLlama wrote:
I can tell when there's a TV on anywhere inside my house, even if it's muted

Me too. I wondered if anyone else could.

I can hear it... it's kinda annoying.

Me too. And my wife can't, or at least it doesn't seem to bug her. Most often happens when we watch a DVD. After it's over, she'll turn off the DVD player, but the TV will be showing a flat black screen with no sound - almost like it was off, but that high pitched sound is still there. Annoys the heck out of me, but apparently not her.

philip wrote:Worse, though, are these things, probably noone outside of Australia's seen them... to stop kangaroos from jumping into the road and then just standing there, waiting to be hit by cars, people buy these things that they strap onto the front bumper that emits a loud, obscenely-high-pitched chirp to scare the 'roos away. Now, this is supposed to be above the threshold of hearing, but I can hear it (and so can my sister).

I know in this area (southern US) there are similar things called deer whistles, which I believe use the airflow from the car's movement to make their sound. Although this means they can't be turned off, it also means that in slow, in-town driving, they tend to be much more subdued. Doesn't really matter, because apparently they don't work.

McLurker

Postby McLurker » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:56 pm UTC

I'm another one who can tell if a TV is on, even if there is no sound. I don't really notice it unless I think about it- but it is very obvious to me when the TV is turned off.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:04 pm UTC

j.m.p wrote:I know in this area (southern US) there are similar things called deer whistles, which I believe use the airflow from the car's movement to make their sound. Although this means they can't be turned off, it also means that in slow, in-town driving, they tend to be much more subdued. Doesn't really matter, because apparently they don't work.

If you hit a deer with your car after having those things mounted, they work. :lol:

I once hit a deer, but it did very little to virtually no damage to my truck. Was a much older truck (late 70s model), and huge. Was a Chevy. I miss that truck.:cry:

They're supposed to have a high-pitched sound, which means only deer and other animals can hear them, but not humans. However, I can hear them. I can also hear the computer fan even from the opposite end of the room.

I had a Timex clock radio with an LCD display that had the Indiglo backlight that came on automatically when the room was dark enough. When it was set to the medium to highest setting, it emitted a very high-pitched hum. I could hear that hum clear across the room.
PRG

An important message for you:

frezik

Postby frezik » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:19 pm UTC

I hear TVs on all the time. I'm 24 and can hear up to about 18KHz. My roommate had his range of hearing destroyed by childhood injuries and left the TV on all the time when we had a CRT one. My sanity is now being saved by LCD projector goodness.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:29 pm UTC

TVs on black screen also project light, which makes it really easy to notice.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

saxything43

Postby saxything43 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:37 pm UTC

I would buy the poster as well.
This post brought you to by the number 42.

Banksy

Postby Banksy » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:39 pm UTC

Yet another truly epic XKCD, I love it!
Especially how Randall manages to blend intelligent jokes (such as the SETI/aliens hilarious) with things such as 'Potato'
Amazing.
I would also buy a poster of this.
But if anyone were ever to discover the meaning of life, all of space and time would collapse in on itself, and in the place that remained a large sign would appear saying:

Level 2.

Denmarx

Postby Denmarx » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:08 pm UTC

I can't believe the caption! I thought I was the only one who day-dreamed about trying to compress a greater amount of the spectrum into the visible. While certainly not the same as having receptors triggered by infrared and uv, it's as close as we're likely to get in this era.

[I registered for this comic.]

EradicateIV

Postby EradicateIV » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:16 pm UTC

I try often to picture your sister naked sometimes to...

The alt-text made this.

Potato!

Our truth is only as good as our assumptions.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:40 pm UTC

rhebus wrote:
TheKhakinator wrote:Yeah, that would be YET ANOTHER EXAMPLE of real life imitating xkcd, like the whole Richard Feynman/Katana and the bloggy guy with the cape, etc.

Do you mean Richard Stallman?

Yes, he most certainly does.

Unless the scientific community has gotten over their collective crush, and I just missed the memo. Then we *could* add Feynman to the life-imitating-xkcd list.

wilco

Meanings...

Postby wilco » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:49 pm UTC

Brilliant comic; ++poster!

"Gal" may also be a Galileo Unit, 0.01m/s^2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gal_%28unit%29

"q" is usually the variable for charge: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_%28disambiguation%29

I think the 3rd number from the left on the Q line is 5*sqrt(0)^50 (or is it the fifth root of 0?)

suso

Postby suso » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:38 pm UTC

I'm glad to see that other people hear how complete silence can have a sound of its own. I guess that's what people call deafening silence.

I thought it was really funny that the Aliens spectrum was just outside the SETI spectrum. That's funny.

So does FHF == F*cking High Frequency?

Great stuff.

Tomcat

Postby Tomcat » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:49 pm UTC

I can hear the TV too, from any room. I've read before that it is more common with younger folks than older, the ability to hear higher frequencies degrades over time. I can also hear (sometimes) the choke from tubelights.

back to the comic...

...wow.

It is (to use a phrase I picked up from the interwebs) all kinds of awesome.

I keep making passes over it and picking up something new.

Brilliant.
---
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I

DuSTman

Postby DuSTman » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:04 pm UTC

I like the subtle hawking paraphrase to this comic. Nice. Very nice.

Poster++

Kelley

Postby Kelley » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:02 pm UTC

I loved this. As soon as I read it I printed it out and tacked it up on the wall in my office. Being a chemist and working with UV Vis regularly I don't think my boss with even pick up on it.

mkamba

Laughing Too Hard

Postby mkamba » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:07 pm UTC

I'm laughing so hard, I'm crying. This is quite possibly the best xkcd EVAR! Even better than Raptors!

Poster++

(Yet another person who registered just to post for this comic.)

rregall

Postby rregall » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:11 pm UTC

I don't think anybody saw the potato coming... I know I didn't...

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:44 pm UTC

I read this comic thinking "heh-heh... heh-heh... funny xkcd as usual, but not that special... 'Sinister Google Projects'? WAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAAAAA!!"

This comic is great.

jaggerlink

Postby jaggerlink » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:46 pm UTC

To those who say the high pitched noises you hear when nothing else is making sound is because of lights... I have heard the noises without lights on. Does anyone actually know what the sound is?

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:50 pm UTC

I'm going to go with previous posters and say tinnitus

They/them

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:52 pm UTC

jaggerlink wrote:To those who say the high pitched noises you hear when nothing else is making sound is because of lights... I have heard the noises without lights on. Does anyone actually know what the sound is?

Tinnitus has been said. Check all other electrical devices are also off. Check it's not some wierd-ass acoustics of breathing or something.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:15 pm UTC

I can hear the CRT sound, and the dimmer sound, but nothing in a dark and empty room. Ha.

My roommates are both electric guitar players, and one is a drummer too. They can't hear shit. It drives me nuts when they leave the TV on, and they don't know what I'm talking about when I'm like "Can't you HEAR THAT?"
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

EOTistatron

Postby EOTistatron » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:19 pm UTC

Maseiken wrote:w00t, octarine!

I'll second (or, um, nth?).

And, like, totally all that other stuff too... >_>

vish

in a quiet environment - tinnitus

Postby vish » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:01 pm UTC

physiological tinnitus (meaning it is normal, and not pathological) ,
is what everybody hears when it gets quiet enough.
it isn't an illness, it is just your brain turning up the auto-gain when there's no other sound.
it is a hallucination of sound, and most people don't notice it unless they enter an airlock(like a sound studio), at which point everybody hears it.

the high pitched TV sound also occurs when the TV is on stdby, and not completely off. (that was the case with my old TV) it is ~20kHZ, and i think that new/good TV sets won't feature it

briguyd

Postby briguyd » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:50 pm UTC

I can also hear the TV on. It freaked my friends out once when we were walking up the stairs to one of our classes and when we were still one floor down from the room, I shouted "Yes! We're watching a movie today!" because I could hear the TV on and everyone just wondered how the heck I figured that out. I was so proud of myself.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:00 pm UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:Check it's not some wierd-ass acoustics of breathing or something.

My weird ass-acoustics generally have a lower pitch.

impressed by the tampax reference. That took a little bit of throwing caution to the wind, as many males are so disgusted by such things they don't even find them funny. Props.

I'm confused why people are so disgusted by the tampax reference, when nobody made a comment when hat guy chopped off somebody's hand.

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:08 pm UTC

I was fine with the tampax reference. Some people need to get sicker senses of humour.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

Gilly

Postby Gilly » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:18 pm UTC

space_raptor wrote:I was fine with the tampax reference. Some people need to get sicker senses of humour.

Absolutely.

Was the potato a Douglas Adams reference?

Oh, and the obligatory "I WANT THIS AS A POSTER!"

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:15 pm UTC

jaggerlink wrote:To those who say the high pitched noises you hear when nothing else is making sound is because of lights... I have heard the noises without lights on. Does anyone actually know what the sound is?

Y'know that ringing in your ears? That 'eeeeeeeeee'? That's the sound of the ear cells dying, like their swan song. Once it's gone you'll never hear that frequency again. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Points to the person who knows where the quote's from.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:04 am UTC

bbctol wrote:

Y'know that ringing in your ears? That 'eeeeeeeeee'? That's the sound of the ear cells dying, like their swan song. Once it's gone you'll never hear that frequency again. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Points to the person who knows where the quote's from.

Yeah, it was from that terrible movie, "Children of Men."
I'm not afraid. Bring it.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

ZerothRoot

Postby ZerothRoot » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:10 am UTC

space_raptor wrote:I was fine with the tampax reference. Some people need to get sicker senses of humour.

I concur.

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:25 am UTC

SpitValve wrote:I'm confused why people are so disgusted by the tampax reference, when nobody made a comment when hat guy chopped off somebody's hand

Personally, I'm just confused as to why people are more impressed/disgusted by the tampax reference than by the depends reference. Personally, I find urine and feces a *lot* more disgusting than menses.

For example, if my hands, genitals, and stomach are covered in menses, it probably means I just did something *really*, *really*, *fun*. If they're covered in urine and feces, there may be some serious problems.

They/them

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:49 am UTC

Belial wrote:Personally, I'm just confused as to why people are more impressed/disgusted by the tampax reference than by the depends reference. Personally, I find urine and feces a *lot* more disgusting than menses. .

So that's what it was referring to...

Maybe part of it is because we don't have Depends here... as far as I know...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”