0119: "Worst Band Name Ever"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

flamewise

Re: 0119: "Worst Band Name Ever"

Postby flamewise » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:43 pm UTC

Plasma Mongoose wrote:As for having a worst band name ever, is there really a name you can use that is so awful, that the band in question will never be popular with the 'mainstream'?

If there is, I bet indie bands would change it to that so they can make music people would want to listen to without the risk of 'selling out to The Man'.

A lot of punk bands try to do just that, see Cherry Poppin' Daddies and This Bike Is a Pipe Bomb.

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:43 am UTC

flamewise wrote:A lot of punk bands try to do just that, see Cherry Poppin' Daddies and This Bike Is a Pipe Bomb.

Those names are just quirky at best, if they really want a band name that will act like mainstream repellant, I can think of a few off-hand:
[*] AWESOME 9/11
[*] SODOMIZER
[*] AL-QAEDA LOVER
[*] PEDERASTY FOREVER
There is no way any (mainstream) radio who would play groups with names like that.
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

keithc

Postby keithc » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:44 pm UTC

Plasma Mongoose wrote:
flamewise wrote:A lot of punk bands try to do just that, see Cherry Poppin' Daddies and This Bike Is a Pipe Bomb.

Those names are just quirky at best, if they really want a band name that will act like mainstream repellant, I can think of a few off-hand:
[*] AWESOME 9/11
[*] SODOMIZER
[*] AL-QAEDA LOVER
[*] PEDERASTY FOREVER
There is no way any (mainstream) radio who would play groups with names like that.

Fuck Buttons get played on BBC Radio 1. Mind you, can't for the life of me think why

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:34 pm UTC

Plasma Mongoose wrote:If there is, I bet indie bands would change it to that so they can make music people would want to listen to without the risk of 'selling out to The Man'.

"Selling out to The Man" on the other hand would be the most awesome band name ever.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:32 am UTC

Diadem wrote:"Selling Out To The Man" on the other hand would be the most awesome band name ever.

A band with a name like that might even appeal to hipsters cos THEY LOVE IRONY!
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”