0761: "DFS"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Lathe

Re: "DFS" Discussion

Postby Lathe » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:07 pm UTC

skeptical scientist wrote:So, how many panels did people make it through before figuring out the acronym DFS?

I was expecting Distributed File System (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_file_system). I was about 3 panels in before my mind went to Depth First Search. :)

Story

Postby Story » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:16 pm UTC

I don't get why everyone is saying this comic is subpar. It's easily one of the best in a while.

savanik

Postby savanik » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:19 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
Madtentacle wrote:Breadth-first works best on dating because you are looking for the minimal number of moves to achieve coitus.

Ok, now listen.

The moment when you start talking like a "character" from an xkcd comic, STOP.

It's not healthy, it's not nice, it's not smart.

You must be new here. Welcome to XKCD!

I, for one, do talk like that regularly. Furthermore, I have the advantage of having an SO who is just as strange, intelligent, and quirky. We make quantum physics puns at each other on a regular basis. We're very happy together. :)

Many of the people here read the comic because it reflects directly people whom they know (or indeed, their own thoughts, hence 'GET OUT OF MY HEAD RANDALL'). The fact that 'no one talks like this in real life' is simply a literary mechanism - if you have read comic books, does it ever occur to you to wonder, 'Why are they constantly talking to themselves?'

"Oh no, automated defense drones! And with my radio dead, there's no one I can call for help! My only hope is to activate my ultrasphere and hope that the psionic rays will disable their circuits!"

There is actually a proper term for this, but the phrase escapes me for the moment.

Sav
"If it were up to the copyright lobby, owning a pen would be punishable by fines." ---Arancaytar

davetp425

Postby davetp425 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:24 pm UTC

This is why I like to open links in a new tab: they appear at the end of the list of tabs, so if I process tabs left-to-right then I've got a queue, which gives breadth-first search.

savanik wrote:The fact that 'no one talks like this in real life' is simply a literary mechanism - if you have read comic books, does it ever occur to you to wonder, 'Why are they constantly talking to themselves?'

"Oh no, automated defense drones! And with my radio dead, there's no one I can call for help! My only hope is to activate my ultrasphere and hope that the psionic rays will disable their circuits!"

There is actually a proper term for this, but the phrase escapes me for the moment.

Soliloquey?

StClair

Postby StClair » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:33 pm UTC

It's probably for the best that people who act like this are less likely to pass along their genes.

Stickman fails at risk assessment/management, process flow, dating, and life.

kest23

Postby kest23 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:45 pm UTC

So the problem with this comic is that a guy who answers the door for the date dressed in a towel and talking enthusiastically about snake venom? Pretty hot. Screw whatever we were going to do, let's go in and you can show me your venom spreadsheet.

HermanBlount

Postby HermanBlount » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:53 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:The moment when you start talking like a "character" from an xkcd comic, STOP.

Talking like that, neither breadth-first nor depth-first nor ANY kind of search will help.

The problem with the guy from the comic is not that he used the wrong algorithm -- it's just that he doesn't behave like a human being.

Unless that post you referred to was written by a bot or a room full of monkeys, then they were "behaving like a human" because, well, they are human. Unless your suggesting that people who behave outside the social norm are NOT human.
It's AFTER the end of the world. Don't you know that yet?

Aquilai

Postby Aquilai » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:03 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:DFS? More like ADD, amirite? :P

I was thinking ADD could apply to both DFS and BFS. For BFS it would be lame too because it'd be like the girl mentions a topic and all he could do is say "I am peripherally aware of the existence of said subject" for every topic.

Dobblesworth wrote:
skeptical scientist wrote:So, how many panels did people make it through before figuring out the acronym DFS?

The only DFS I'm aware of is a certain furniture chain store in the UK, of the kind that only ever seems to be on a 50% seasonal sale.

@skeptical scientist, first look at the title! I can't help being a geek!
@Dobblesworth, DFS the chain store didn't even come to me till you mentioned it! XD

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:04 pm UTC

Anyone who has tried to code a GO ai, you feel this one. You feel it deep inside.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

noot

Postby noot » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:15 pm UTC

Very surprised "Velociraptor attack" didn't make it into the list of emergencies...

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:01 pm UTC

Either that, or prepare for dates much further ahead of time.

It's impressive that this man was able to formulate an essay outline-style list in his head and remember all the parts, and that his hair disappears once it's dry and combed.

I laughed seeing "snake bite," "lightning strike," and "fall from chair" together in a list. Somewhat like "reactor meltdown," "plane crash," and "dropped ice cream" together.

SirMustapha wrote:The moment when you start talking like a "character" from an xkcd comic, GO OUT AND DO SO IN PUBLIC. Everyone talks the same way these days, and it's getting seriously boring.

There! Fix'd
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

Mr. Burke

Postby Mr. Burke » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:54 pm UTC

See kids, that's why nature gave us natural selection.

Also, parallelizing is superior to single-threaded DFS or BFS.

Leibnix

Postby Leibnix » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:54 pm UTC

neoliminal wrote:Anyone who has tried to code a GO ai, you feel this one. You feel it deep inside.

Not if you use Monte Carlo search, Neo. That way you get to go all the way to the end several times over!

MikeMagik

Postby MikeMagik » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:55 pm UTC

Mr. Burke wrote:Also, parallelizing is superior to single-threaded DFS or BFS.

Yeah, when I read the alt-text I immediately remembered this awesome article:
http://blog.bitquabit.com/2007/02/14/sm ... -parallel/

AlexanderRM

Postby AlexanderRM » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:35 pm UTC

noot wrote:Very surprised "Velociraptor attack" didn't make it into the list of emergencies...

Yeah, now that you mention it, highly surprising. Randall must have been replaced with a robot impostor. :0

Leibnix wrote:
neoliminal wrote:Anyone who has tried to code a GO ai, you feel this one. You feel it deep inside.

Not if you use Monte Carlo search, Neo. That way you get to go all the way to the end several times over!

That sounds like an appealing strategy for dating. :D

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:01 pm UTC

savanik wrote:I, for one, do talk like that regularly. Furthermore, I have the advantage of having an SO who is just as strange, intelligent, and quirky. We make quantum physics puns at each other on a regular basis. We're very happy together. :)

I, for one, don't boast about my relationship. :)

savanik wrote:The fact that 'no one talks like this in real life' is simply a literary mechanism

Sorry, but NOT HERE. The mark of xkcd is that most comics are meant to be verosimilar -- the caracters and situations are supposed to be somehow familiar and relatable, and the humour comes from things that break that familiarity. xkcd is not surrealistic or absurd; it's surprisingly down to Earth. The problem is that THE WRITING IS VERY BAD and the dialogue is terrible: "I'm here to pick you up. You're not dressed?"... WHO TALKS LIKE THAT? That's not "quirkiness"; that's just bad writing.

SpringLoaded12 wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:The moment when you start talking like a "character" from an xkcd comic, GO OUT AND DO SO IN PUBLIC. Everyone talks the same way these days, and it's getting seriously boring.

There! Fix'd

What do you mean, "everyone talks the same way"? Not to me, no; each one has a very distinct and personal way of talking, different from everyone else -- be it little or a lot, but still different. I know plenty of people and no two people talk the same -- very special, interesting styles. It's the inherent variety of life. Unlike you, I appreciate that, and I don't need to act and talk in a completely fake, fabricated and awkward manner just to feel "different". I don't need that kind of validation, thanks.

Also, Randall fixed the hair. RANDALL FIXED THE HAIR. Could it be possible that Randall didn't notice it before? Or was he too lazy to do it sooner?... just HOW MUCH does Randall care about his own webcomic, anyway??

P13808

Postby P13808 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:41 pm UTC

I came here to see if anyone noticed the hair.

Apparently someone noticed the hair.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:45 pm UTC

Okay, I have to ask this. SirMustapha: are you Carl?

And I agree with you about the dialogue. That stuck out a lot for me. More realistic: "Why aren't you dressed?" She doesn't have to say "I'm here to pick you up", because that's pretty dang obvious.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:13 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:If anyone's too lazy to Google, LD50 refers to the amount of substance that is lethal to 50% of a population.

Just out of curiosity, if I'm not too lazy to Google, what does it mean?

SirMustapha wrote:
Madtentacle wrote:Breadth-first works best on dating because you are looking for the minimal number of moves to achieve coitus.

Ok, now listen.

Talking like that, neither breadth-first nor depth-first nor ANY kind of search will help.

The problem with the guy from the comic is not that he used the wrong algorithm -- it's just that he doesn't behave like a human being. That is generally not very good for dates.

Of course he doesn't behave like a human being. He's a nerd!
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:18 pm UTC

Leibnix wrote:

Deep Monte Carlo search? I'd rather use a 3D Hilbert Curve.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:27 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:Okay, I have to ask this. SirMustapha: are you Carl?

Yes. And Carl is Randall. Yet I'm not Randall. Solve THAT one!

Seriously, now, I post there as Fernie Canto. I used to be a fairly annoying cuddlefish until... well... until comic 631, I think.

poslfit

Postby poslfit » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:10 am UTC

"A breadth-first search makes a lot of sense for dating in general, actually; it suggests dating a bunch of people casually before getting serious, rather than having a series five-year relationships one after the other."

"A bunch"?! It is a well-known result (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretary_problem) that the optimum number is n/e, where n is the number of potential mates you expect to be able to meet. (Westley never expected to leave Buttercup's farm, so for him, n was equal to 1, which led to the rest of the movie.)

philippos42

Postby philippos42 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:38 am UTC

Why would you ever use depth-first (except maybe for computers that play strategy games like chess & go)?
That reminds me of this.
SirMustapha wrote:But on second thought... neither does the girl behave like a human being. "I'm here to pick you up. You're not dressed?". NO ONE talks like that.
I have known persons who talked like that.
savanik wrote:"Oh no, automated defense drones! And with my radio dead, there's no one I can call for help! My only hope is to activate my ultrasphere and hope that the psionic rays will disable their circuits!"

Exposition, or expository dialogue.
kest23 wrote:So the problem with this comic is that a guy who answers the door for the date dressed in a towel and talking enthusiastically about snake venom? Pretty hot. Screw whatever we were going to do, let's go in and you can show me your venom spreadsheet.
I like your attitude.

Karrot

Postby Karrot » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:52 am UTC

savanik wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:
Ok, now listen.

You must be new here. Welcome to XKCD!

I, for one, do talk like that regularly. Furthermore, I have the advantage of having an SO who is just as strange, intelligent, and quirky. We make quantum physics puns at each other on a regular basis. We're very happy together. :)

I think you missed the intended joke, where he was contradicting himself. (By which I am, of course, referring to the fact that his very last sentence is a line from Comic 55.)

Or maybe I am reading way, way too much into it.

alden

Postby alden » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:36 am UTC

prometheus3737 wrote:The layout on the other hand makes me makes me want to punch Randal in the face so hard his momma feels it.

The layout kind of bothered me at first, but after reading it a few times I think it is brave and interesting, and good. I wish more people would take chances like that! No more doing what is done. We should do what is not done?

Aquilai

Postby Aquilai » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:40 am UTC

noot wrote:Very surprised "Velociraptor attack" didn't make it into the list of emergencies...

Wackiest

Postby Wackiest » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:09 am UTC

Once I read the title of the comic, I couldn't help but think of sofas for the entire thing.

Mr. Burke

Postby Mr. Burke » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:11 pm UTC

alden wrote:No more doing what is done. We should do what is not done?

Good point. Where are the babies? I'm hungry!

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:26 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:And I agree with you about the dialogue. That stuck out a lot for me. More realistic: "Why aren't you dressed?" She doesn't have to say "I'm here to pick you up", because that's pretty dang obvious.
Not to mention the weird "danger" and question marks along the side of his thought bubble - are we to assume that his stream of consciousness is numbered and tabulated?

Cue someone gleefully claiming they think in numbered lists and tables ALL THE TIME.

EDIT: looks like the guy's missing hair has returned.
I don't know what to do for you

EduardoLeon

Postby EduardoLeon » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:48 pm UTC

Variable Neighborhood Search FTW!
Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein!

xctrigeek11

Postby xctrigeek11 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:44 am UTC

Ok, now listen.

I guess common sense doesn't apply. My normal approach is useless here.

hmmm... seems like someone should take their own advice...

"My normal approach is useless here."

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:57 am UTC

uncivlengr wrote:
sje46 wrote:And I agree with you about the dialogue. That stuck out a lot for me. More realistic: "Why aren't you dressed?" She doesn't have to say "I'm here to pick you up", because that's pretty dang obvious.
Not to mention the weird "danger" and question marks along the side of his thought bubble - are we to assume that his stream of consciousness is numbered and tabulated?

Cue someone gleefully claiming they think in numbered lists and tables ALL THE TIME.

Uncivlengr, get out of my head! lol

I'll stop replying to you like this, otherwise people will think we're the same people because OBVIOUSLY there can't be TWO people who are negative towards xkcd Oh me yarm heresy

xctrigeek11 wrote:hmmm... seems like someone should take their own advice...

"My normal approach is useless here."

It didn't occur to you that I did that on purpose? I was merely using an xkcd quotation against an xkcd fan. There should be nothing so mysterious about that.

rpgamer

Postby rpgamer » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:48 am UTC

FCN wrote:What happened to his hair?

It just took a few days to grow back.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.

CogitoSum

Postby CogitoSum » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:56 am UTC

TheEponymousBob wrote:
What's a good heuristic to use with A* in order to improve my dating strategy?

Breast-first search.

Funniest post here. The first time I've had a good laugh for at least a little while :)

Oktalist

Postby Oktalist » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:19 pm UTC

(I figured it out while reading panel 3.)

Also guessed the punchline by panel 3. But I didn't make the connection to the title until later.

Not that that's an negative reflection on Randall. I often like jokes where I can guess the punchline; it makes me feel smart.
philip1201 wrote:Not everything which maps countable infinities onto finite areas is a Lovecraft reference.

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:48 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
SpringLoaded12 wrote:

There! Fix'd

What do you mean, "everyone talks the same way"? Not to me, no; each one has a very distinct and personal way of talking, different from everyone else -- be it little or a lot, but still different. I know plenty of people and no two people talk the same -- very special, interesting styles. It's the inherent variety of life. Unlike you, I appreciate that, and I don't need to act and talk in a completely fake, fabricated and awkward manner just to feel "different". I don't need that kind of validation, thanks.

No, not everyone talks the same way. I was looking for something to add, and couldn't think of anything, yet it needed something, so that's what I put :/

I don't talk in a fake/fabricated/awkward manner, I talk the way that comes naturally to me. I don't put on acts for validation, and I'm not unappreciative of modern speech. I quoted you and changed what you said because I saw you reprimanding someone else over their post, without provocation, and I thought it would be more interesting than just yelling at you.

Whoa. In this post, I quoted you quoting me quoting you. If this goes on too long, we might get into some serious recursion shit :shock:
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

DVC

Postby DVC » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:21 am UTC

I feel it necessary to point out that the alt-text assumes that dating is the only way to tell if someone is right for you to a first approximation. That's not necessarily true. You can get to know someone without dating them.

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:25 am UTC

SirMustapha, I don't really see how you can justify making this comment:
SirMustapha wrote:"I'm here to pick you up. You're not dressed?"... WHO TALKS LIKE THAT? That's not "quirkiness"; that's just bad writing.

in the very same post that you also write this:
SirMustapha wrote:What do you mean, "everyone talks the same way"? Not to me, no; each one has a very distinct and personal way of talking, different from everyone else -- be it little or a lot, but still different. I know plenty of people and no two people talk the same -- very special, interesting styles.

So, everyone has their own unique speech patterns, but nobody could possibly use the speech pattern of the character in the comic? I trust you see the inconsistency here. Or are you claiming to have made a statistical study of the speech patterns used by a large number of people (from differing countries and cultures) in an analogous situation? If so, please do share the citation.

For what it's worth, the line didn't seem particularly forced or unnatural to me. I could imagine it being said if the girl knew the guy to be absent-minded and prone to losing context - as he certainly seems to be.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”