0763: "Workaround"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BioTube

Re: "Workaround" discussion

Postby BioTube » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:38 pm UTC

Those are Ubuntu's problems, not Linux's - Debian's always(to the best of my knowledge) had workable upgrade paths, due to a standing policy of quality over release date.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

caseysousa

Postby caseysousa » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:28 am UTC

Man, that's so true. My grandma's solution to most of her problems involve using objects to prop up printers, mouse pads, etc.

Glenn Magus Harvey

Postby Glenn Magus Harvey » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:57 am UTC

Hey Randall!

Fuck you for ruining my explanation! Now I'm going to complain about it on another part of the internet! YEAH! :D

xepher

Postby xepher » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:26 pm UTC

One of my most hated parts about people who don't know how to use the computer isn't not knowing how to use the computer itself, but...

TYPING QUICKLY.

I'm tired of the seek-and-peck method that my mom still uses. Although that being said, she's a computer genius compared to the people I'm reading of on this topic... thank god.

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:49 pm UTC

The best way to teach quick typing is to force people to use the command line.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

Ephemeron

Re: 0763: "Workaround"

Postby Ephemeron » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:56 pm UTC

Okay, I am now convinced that some people know nothing about computers, or at least know nothing of the existence of 'file sizes' and the fact that data storage is finite. :roll:

First of all, let me explain that I am a student at the University of Nottingham. Our student email accounts have a maximum inbox size of 50mb. Mailing lists are often over-inclusive, and we receive about 50 emails per week, most are irrelevant. It is one of the great stresses of university life. (To make things worse, the system uses Microsoft Outlook.)

I just recieved an email with two huge jpeg files attached. Each was a copy of a brochure, with an image size of 4925 x 2469, because we really needed to see the text in that much detail. The file sizes were 4mb and 5.5mb, presumably saved with the maximum amount of quality. Now that's two brochures taking up 19% of my inbox, when the person sending them could have just left them in a .doc or .pdf format.

It was sent to ALL undergraduates, and ALL postgraduates - 33550 people. By my calculations, someone just wasted 295gb of server space. :shock:

And the subject of the email? China Summer Camp Opportunities. :evil:

I have since replied back, politely suggesting that she compress her jpegs - or better yet, upload them to Imageshack, and send us the link.

Alleged Accomplice

Re: 0763: "Workaround"

Postby Alleged Accomplice » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:10 pm UTC

This computer had problems awhile back and I took it in for servicing. Wanting to get online while it was gone I got the old one out forgetting I had used the OS hard drive out of it in the new one as storage. Found another older hard drive then tried to reinstall the OS with the disk from the old one, I still had them amazingly. When I turned it on though it kept giving me a stupid error saying it could not find something I knew it still had. What I no longer remember. I kept at it now and then but then I remembered the definition of insanity and decided to stop and try something I sometimes use on a machine at work that does nothing but make plastic bags. It sometimes says something is missing or wrong when I can see for a fact everything is there and nothing is wrong. I give it something else to find by unplugging something else it needs. It has a new error but as soon as I plug the thing I unplugged back in it works. So I took the old phone modem out of the old computer and shazam the damn thing started up and allowed me to install the OS. The old modem lies in front of me now on the desk.

Oh, I forgot you don't actually want to know how we computer illiterates do the things we do. Sorry.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”