0773: "University Website"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

LucasBrown

Postby LucasBrown » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:39 am UTC

Alt text: "People go to the website because they can't wait for the next alumni magazine, right? What do you mean, you want a campus map? One of our students made one as a CS class project back in '01! You can click to zoom and everything!"

I've had similar feelings at times. My school's website is much the same as the left side at first glance. You can find the stuff on the right only by looking very deeply into the site.
Last edited by LucasBrown on Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:43 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

rator10

Postby rator10 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:40 am UTC

Alt-Text: People go to the website because they can't wait for the next alumni magazine, right? What do you mean, you want a campus map? One of our students made one as a CS class project back in '01! You can click to zoom and everything!

As a college student, this comic REEAAAALLY hits home, and I expect a lot of "Randall, get out of my head!!!" posts with classes starting in the next month

from canada

Re: "University Website" discussion (#773)

Postby from canada » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:41 am UTC

I just had three orgasms after reading this...
Last edited by from canada on Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:43 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:41 am UTC

It gets a lot worse the cheaper the cost of attendance is.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Shishire

Postby Shishire » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:41 am UTC

Alt: People go to the website because they can't wait for the next alumni magazine, right? What do you mean, you want a campus map? One of our students made one as a CS class project back in '01! You can click to zoom and everything!

First time doing a thread for the comic. I work at a university. I know how bad it is. I tried to find out how to change my password the other day. On the bright side, I didn't get any work done that day :)

LucasBrown

Postby LucasBrown » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:42 am UTC

That actually makes a lot of sense; my school's a public high school and, therefore, free.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:44 am UTC

LucasBrown wrote:That actually makes a lot of sense; my school's a public high school and, therefore, free.

Yo, I saw you edit your post to act like it was a response to infina. You can't fool me.

Richard.

Postby Richard. » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:47 am UTC

True comic is true
we live in a beautiful world.

Spoiler:

LucasBrown

Postby LucasBrown » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:47 am UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:
LucasBrown wrote:That actually makes a lot of sense; my school's a public high school and, therefore, free.

Yo, I saw you edit your post to act like it was a response to infina. You can't fool me.

Please clarify.

LOLGRADY

Postby LOLGRADY » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:48 am UTC

HA.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:50 am UTC

LucasBrown wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:

Please clarify.

Well either you edited your post or F5 now has the power to magically change text, but either way it was substantially shortened.

I'm not actually sure what it said before.

BUT WHAT HAS BEEN SEEN CANNOT BE UNSEEN.

Halrandir

Postby Halrandir » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:50 am UTC

My college's website was so bad some students put together a school-funded organization to set up a new site that linked to all the pages a student would actually find relevant on the main site. It's been going strong for 10 years and easily gets more traffic from the student body than the official site ever will.

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:54 am UTC

Heh, my school's home page is like that, but they have a convenient link to a "current students" page, which has everything on the right side save the application forms and the campus police number. A great improvement over the last design (from last year and prior) which nailed the comic to a t.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

westrim

Postby westrim » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:55 am UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:Well either you edited your post or F5 now has the power to magically change text, but either way it was substantially shortened.

Oh me yarm CONSPIRACY! Chillax, it didn't matter and you didn't need to point it out to inflate your self importance.

@ Comic: So Damn True.

That is exactly the information provided on my colleges website, though the drop menu links are very comprehensible. Faculty info is an ass in the pain to find, though.
Oh look, my post shortened, I must have drastically changed its focus in the process ! (To those who come later, it did not.)
Last edited by westrim on Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ARandomDude

Postby ARandomDude » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:57 am UTC

I disagree. When I visit a University website, I'm never looking for a full name.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:03 am UTC

Eh, mine's not quite that bad. I call this a worst case scenario, maybe exaggerated a bit.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:04 am UTC

westrim wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:Well either you edited your post or F5 now has the power to magically change text, but either way it was substantially shortened.

Gee Willikers CONSPIRACY! Chillax, it didn't matter and you didn't need to point it out to inflate your self importance.

Dude, you do not know just how deep this goes. This could change the world as we know it.

I think this ties into the subtle Satanic messages you get when you decrypt the least significant bits of each pixel in the comic.

scalziand

Postby scalziand » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:05 am UTC

Yes, these things are true.

Still, a couple years ago a couple students created an arcade cabinet that would show the campus in first person. Unfortunately, such a thing is not accessible through the website.

Muertos13

Postby Muertos13 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:06 am UTC

So true about the maps.

Qwert

Postby Qwert » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:08 am UTC

SO TRUE!
2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2.
- Grabel's Law
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer

Kaelri

Postby Kaelri » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:12 am UTC

I've been ranting about this for years. UT's website(s) have gotten better recently, but they're still a mess. I'm pretty net-savvy, and didn't discover how to access my school webmail until my third year.

Time Kitten

Postby Time Kitten » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:15 am UTC

ARandomDude wrote:I disagree. When I visit a University website, I'm never looking for a full name.

Since you have already googled the short hand name to get there, and the address is the full name?

I watched my collage degrade from right to left over a course of certifying their CIS program. It went from a student made for students usefulness, to a professional adobe template ripoff of the next five in the state that while doing a good job advertising for the collage, still has pages from the last two collages to use the service.

xodyac

Postby xodyac » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:20 am UTC

I'm going to be a senior, going to apply for college as soon as next fall semester opens up. This is a definite GOOMHR for me. "What kind of schedule am I looking at for a CS major?" "OOH LOOK THE CS DEPARTMENT MADE STUFF LAST YEAR!!! LOOK AT THIS! WHAT'S A SCHEDULE?!"

Jof16's

Postby Jof16's » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:29 am UTC

Get outta my head!

LOL. I was just browsing my colleges website (which fits this comic to a T) moments ago when I decided to take a break by coming here. :lol:

Kaijyuu

Postby Kaijyuu » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:38 am UTC

Seriously, university websites suck. In order to get the phone number for the academic advisors, I had to follow 5 links from the front page.
The cake is a lie, but truth is in Pi.

drixoman

Postby drixoman » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:45 am UTC

this comic just made my day...by the time someone mock this anomaly...and Randall do it well...

anyway..this is my uni: http://www.uvic.ca/

i don't want to find out how to use this uni's site: http://www.sfu.ca/, although i prefer going there...

i'm second year and i'm still making "tab explosion" off uni site hoping one of those page has the right link to what I need...

mschmidt62

Postby mschmidt62 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:47 am UTC

A thousand times yes.

We have an Office of Communications that specializes in not communicating. Over and over, they were sending out emails telling us that parking lot T would be closed Thursday, and parking lot M would be repaved next week. But nobody knew which parking lots those were, they just knew where they always parked. So people would have to go onto the website, tunnel through layers and layers of links , and get this map with tiny, tiny letters. Our lab tech, whose eyesight isn't good, had to print it out so she could figure out which parking lot was to be closed.

Well, someone obviously complained, so now, when they send out emails about parking lot closures, they include a link to the parking lot map. Which always gives a 404 error.

DreadArchon

Postby DreadArchon » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:48 am UTC

So very true.

faunablues

Postby faunablues » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:54 am UTC

So true. At my past two schools, the main site has been to irrelevant to students that there was a separate website for students. A while ago someone told me there was a picture of me in the slideshow on the front of the site. It turns out it had been there for four months... I stopped going to the main site once I got accepted to the school.

For my current school, I couldn't even find the webmail address with the site map. I guessed webmail. name. edu and it worked. It's sad when you have to guess URLs. Later, I used google to find a campus map that wasn't just a map of all the parking lots. As it turns out, we don't have a classroom map either, "yet."

On the other hand, LACC has the worst set up I've seen for a current students page. You want a calendar of important dates, like registration, semester begin/end - How about a list of days we have off instead? You want the fall class schedule since registration opens next week - how about summer session begin/end dates instead? Conveniently, they still list the schedules for the past 3 years, because you need that information.

SpotWeld

Postby SpotWeld » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:55 am UTC

I can say with pride my Alma Matter does pretty good in comparison.
At the University of Michigan http://www.umich.edu/ there's a "quick links" section, that gives you about half of the "Things People Go to the Site (are) Looking For"

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:56 am UTC

Nice to know Cal Poly's web site isn't the only example of this.

Their financial aid pages are all under http://www.calpoly.edu/_oar/finaid/ or some such nonsense. Never mind the two or three subdirectory depth—who seriously puts a leading underscore in a publicly-accessible URL? WHO!?
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

billyswong

Postby billyswong » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:00 am UTC

Oh just today I am cursing the new portal system opened this year in my university which "merge everything students need into one system". The new course registration system is fairly inconvenient. I have never thought they could done something worse than what we have in the past. Browsing what courses are available in term 1, term 2, or both, is like a battle. Putting every things inside the frame (yes, the new system uses frameset, which the older system don't) makes things worse. The silly MyCUHK text and campus photo take holds of the precious vertical screen space and will not go. And what's the point of all those expand/collapse stupidity? I just want a number of simple to check tables, with everything separated into its own columns! Don't waste my plenty-to-spare horizontal screen space! Our screens are no longer 800x600 or 1024x768! Think about all those widescreens in notebooks or on desktops!

Okay rants ended. Randall you are always my hero.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:08 am UTC

Randall, get out of my, err, school's website?

Speaking of which, I've been trying to find the school's gym hours for the summer, but I can't find it anywhere on the site.

ave_matthew

Postby ave_matthew » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:25 am UTC

Both my university and it's parent have very good websites http://www.cusb.ca and http://www.umanitoba.ca so I'm a little shocked to see how bad some of these others are.
ave matthew, je m'appelle matthew, mi nomas matthew, me llamo matthew, I'm matthew.

GENERATION 22: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

squareroot

Postby squareroot » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:32 am UTC

Oh god, my high school's website is a nightmare to navigate. I hate it.

And I haven't even spent one day there. X-(
It's pretty well designed, from the aesthetics point of view, the URLs make sense, all that jazz, it's even got it's own search... the unfortunate part is that SO MANY IMPORTANT PAGES can't be accessed by any link traversal or searching from the main page. The only way to find them and access them is Google. Also, I heard (when I was interviewing at the school) that last year some cracker abused their e-mail form and got a python script to run on the server, sending out spam e-mails for about half a day.

That's what they get for not actually giving us the e-mail addresses, and instead giving us some idiotic form (again, only findable through Google) with a 200 character limit on all messages sent to the teachers.

Oh, god, why...
<signature content="" style="tag:html;" overused meta />
Good fucking job Will Yu, you found me - __ -

lemma

Postby lemma » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:34 am UTC

Eh, one of the first things I want to find out about a university on its website is usually its history, the 'founding principles' as it were, and then go on to see how it completely doesn't hold itself to those standards anymore :P

Gatesunder

Postby Gatesunder » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:42 am UTC

Oh me yarm, I love you Randall, *russian bear hug*.

http://Www.kent.edu

I swear, you nailed this one on the head ...

EDIT: question: when did O M G get replaced by gee willikers? Kinda funny ...
I'm wrong 99% of the time, but some day that 1% will be better than the rest ...

_jbryan

Postby _jbryan » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:43 am UTC

The only way I ever access my school's website is by going to google and typing "UIC $what_i_want_to_find". Letting google sift through all the crap is a much more efficient use of my time.

Hamsvlekiss

Postby Hamsvlekiss » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:52 am UTC

Randall.
Get out.

drixoman

Re: "University Website" Discussion

Postby drixoman » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:59 am UTC

Mod please merge thread

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”