0776: "Still No Sleep"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Ego

Re: "Still No Sleep" discussion (#776)

Postby Ego » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:50 am UTC

waitwhut wrote:Gee Willikers! This exact thing happened to me when I was under the influence of mind-altering hallucenogenic drugs! Wacky!

drugs ar ebad. u shouldn't use drugs cause it's bad. don't be bad using drugs. sorry for stupd post but it seems a good way to keep self alive. *don't sleep don't sleep son't dleep*

F3ngles

Postby F3ngles » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:18 am UTC

Ah, but is it you who is hallucinating the squirrel? Or is the squirrel hallucinating you?

Ego

Postby Ego » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:20 am UTC

it's tree hallucinating you both

rainslash
Location: Crazy. Don't say I'm going crazy, because I'm already there.

Postby rainslash » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:25 am UTC

Sleep is entirely over-rated anyway and if it WAS a hallucination, nobody else would've seen it. Unless it was a collective hallucination, but I rather doubt it.

Also, that wasn't a talking squirrel. Obviously it was an alien.
what is the love child of a french horn and a trumpet?
Spoiler:
mellophone.if you don't know what that is, google it, and then smack yourself for not knowing in the first place.

Nyerguds

Postby Nyerguds » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:28 am UTC

Maybe it was a transforming half-alien squirrel girl?

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:I call this forum ICT because IXCT looks like "ichthys" and confuses me. The troll would be the guy posting just above my previous post.

Ehh... do you mean XKCD? I'd reckon that's pronounced something like "ex'kaycidee". :P
I always found it to be something like "exquisite" with an ending like that of "giddy".

It is on par with Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, only more compact :mrgreen:

Tei

Postby Tei » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:36 am UTC

I am sleeping just now.

Not wen I was writting this sentence, wen you read it.

xe3r

Postby xe3r » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:49 am UTC

Tei wrote:I am sleeping just now.

So you are still sleeping?Or maybe you will sleeping forever if someone never stops reading this sentence.. Or maybe this sentence is a hallucination.. :P

Ego

Postby Ego » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:01 am UTC

Nyerguds wrote:Maybe it was a transforming half-alien squirrel girl?

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:I call this forum ICT because IXCT looks like "ichthys" and confuses me. The troll would be the guy posting just above my previous post.

Ehh... do you mean XKCD?

IXCT - Individual XKCD Comic Threads

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:32 am UTC

Ego wrote:
Nyerguds wrote:Maybe it was a transforming half-alien squirrel girl?

Ehh... do you mean XKCD?

IXCT - Individual XKCD Comic Threads

What are you talking about? IXCT looks nothing like an ichthys. Maybe CX...maybe.

Coderego

Postby Coderego » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:38 am UTC

Please notice that SQUIRREL is in all caps. Is this just for emphasis in the sentence? Or....

http://www.squirrelhillpsych.org/

Tei

Postby Tei » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:40 am UTC

xe3r wrote:
Tei wrote:I am sleeping just now.

So you are still sleeping?Or maybe you will sleeping forever if someone never stops reading this sentence.. Or maybe this sentence is a hallucination.. :P

I am awake now. Sorry for being sleeping while you was writting this. Heres my reply now.

wolf550e

Postby wolf550e » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:41 am UTC

Just wanted to say that in Russian slang, the Russian word for squirrel ("belochka") means Delirium tremens, hallucinations caused by alcohol withdrawal. Obviously, a cornerstone of Russian culture.

Ego

Postby Ego » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:57 am UTC

Faranya wrote:What are you talking about? IXCT looks nothing like an ichthys. Maybe CX...maybe.

uuu right, IXCT cannot be spelled as ichthys.. let Grammar Bolshevik say what did he mean. i still think it was "Individual XKCD Comic Threads"

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:04 am UTC

Is ths real life?!

Also

HI JOEE

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:33 am UTC

What? You folks don't know what ICT is? You must be TROLLS, all of you!

LordBritish

Postby LordBritish » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:33 am UTC

VelociraptorEvader wrote:More importantly, what doesn't a SQUIRREL know about mental health?

Somebody please come up with an idea what the acronym SQUIRREL means.
In vacuum, you are no longer a sucker.

now to something completely different: http://demesos.blogspot.com

sab39

Postby sab39 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:20 pm UTC

... and sometimes I'd get up that tree and that squirrel would be COVERED in makeup...

... "Did I leave the gas on? ... ... No! ... No, I'm a f*ckin' squirrel!"

... "Get the flute, it's the source of his power!"

(This thread needed more Izzard)

delicatemelody

Postby delicatemelody » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:46 pm UTC

I just joined after years of lurking because of this comic. I just worked the overnight shift at my hospital and swore I just saw someone walk in my living room, when upon checking, there was no one there. So here I am thinking I'm seeing things and then read this comic. I love coincidences and random shared experiences with strangers.
huzzah to humanit-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Bobsama

Postby Bobsama » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:55 pm UTC

Gamer_2k4 wrote:Randall, here's a protip for you:
Being unable to think of something funny for a comic does NOT give you an excuse for writing down whatever jumble of thoughts is in your head. There's just so much wrong with this comic. Really, it's alright to work on your comic BEFORE 11:55 at night. Please try it sometime.

Randall's response to that it seems. :lol:

Randall: +1
Gamer_2k4: 0

LSN

Postby LSN » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:08 pm UTC

Is this the real life?
Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality?

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:41 pm UTC

Bobsama wrote:
Being unable to think of something funny for a comic does NOT give you an excuse for writing down whatever jumble of thoughts is in your head. There's just so much wrong with this comic. Really, it's alright to work on your comic BEFORE 11:55 at night. Please try it sometime.

Yeah, a recycled comic with no joke makes an excellent response.

ionine_

Postby ionine_ » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:41 pm UTC

I just saw Inception.
GTFOOMHR

alahos

Postby alahos » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:05 pm UTC

LordBritish wrote:
VelociraptorEvader wrote:More importantly, what doesn't a SQUIRREL know about mental health?

I wouldn't come up with the whole development, but I'm pretty sure the S stands for "Scientology".

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:43 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
Bobsama wrote:

Yeah, a recycled comic with no joke makes an excellent response.

Really? Because I thought this one was actually pretty funny and the joke was better executed than it has been. And what was it recycled from? I don't remember another one like this.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

asliceofpi

Postby asliceofpi » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:01 pm UTC

LordBritish wrote:

Seeing Questionable Undertakings Involving Real Rodents with Excellent Linguistics?

Sorry, best I can do on the fly. =P

littlelj

Postby littlelj » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:18 pm UTC

GTFOOMFHR My two-year-old was up for over three hours in the night (1am-4.15am, since you're asking) and today I am a complete zombie.

Squirrel = SQL. I read this comic as "I am so sleep-deprived that my internal deliberations about SQL databases with tree-like systems is manifesting itself in hallucinations about squirrels and trees."

A little IT knowledge is a very dangerous thing.

Edited TWICE dammit for stupid sleep-deprivation-induced bad spelling and punctuation.
Dudes, I'm a woman.

XKCDeviant

Postby XKCDeviant » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:25 pm UTC

Ok, so I'm kinda freaked out by today's comic...

I awoke after two hours solid sleep (yey) to have the postie knocking at my door with a t-shirt I'd ordered. Whilst opening the package I sat down and started reading todays strip, and lol'd at the fact Randall too seemed to be an insomniac. Then I looked at the t-shirt and I couldn't believe it, this was the top I had ordered http://www.cafepress.com/pokertowers.459227609

So should I be scared?

Is Randall stalking me? :shock:

I would ask if I should stay at home all day to keep myself safe, but unfortunatly, that wouldn't change my habits one little bit

I actually signed up today so I could tell everyone how freaked out I am, so hello all! :D

Lode

Postby Lode » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:27 pm UTC

Ok, what they say about Randall IS true. Randall IS in my head. I couldn't sleep last night. Doesn't happen that often. Was a very bad case of sleep deprivation. Had multiple weird dreams too. And the next morning Randall publishes this comic?!

NotAllThere

Postby NotAllThere » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:31 pm UTC

I was wondering when the consequences of assuming a dream is real are worse than the assumption that reality is a dream? I'd ask the squirrel, but it just flew off.
yangosplat wrote:So many amazing quotes, so little room in 300 characters!

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:42 pm UTC

Lode wrote:Ok, what they say about Randall IS true. Randall IS in my head. I couldn't sleep last night. Doesn't happen that often. Was a very bad case of sleep deprivation. Had multiple weird dreams too. And the next morning Randall publishes this comic?!

He even did a comic on this effect. At any given time, someone somewhere is thinking GOOMHR!
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

iamevn

Postby iamevn » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:54 pm UTC

XKCDeviant wrote:Ok, so I'm kinda freaked out by today's comic...

I awoke after two hours solid sleep (yey) to have the postie knocking at my door with a t-shirt I'd ordered. Whilst opening the package I sat down and started reading todays strip, and lol'd at the fact Randall too seemed to be an insomniac. Then I looked at the t-shirt and I couldn't believe it, this was the top I had ordered http://www.cafepress.com/pokertowers.459227609

So should I be scared?

Is Randall stalking me? :shock:

I would ask if I should stay at home all day to keep myself safe, but unfortunatly, that wouldn't change my habits one little bit

I actually signed up today so I could tell everyone how freaked out I am, so hello all! :D

Having gotten a good 12 hours of sleep, I don't have anything much to say to the comic but this post made me chuckle

PS: There is a rule that you can't post links until you do a few more posts. Some people get pissed about it. Go post some more then post links

XKCDeviant

Postby XKCDeviant » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:02 pm UTC

PS: There is a rule that you can't post links until you do a few more posts. Some people get pissed about it. Go post some more then post links

I purposly ran around the forum posting (non junk) messages so that I could get above the 5 posts minimum thing in order to post that link because it did honestly scare me a little.

He even did a comic on this effect. At any given time, someone somewhere is thinking GOOMHR

I know about that comic, and that people on this group always joke about it, but what if it is true? *Random thought* Remember that comic he did where someone makes a computer out of stones on an infinite beach, with infinite time on his hands... what if that is how Randall gets all his info about what people are thinking?

And don't worry mods, now that I have finally joined the forum I'm not gonna disappear after posting one link, I'm not a bot, I promise :D

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:22 pm UTC

One thing I have learned in life, and I've been around a long time, is that if a squirrel tells you something: you need to pay very close attention.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:28 pm UTC

Faranya wrote:What are you talking about? IXCT looks nothing like an ichthys. Maybe CX...maybe.

Not the symbol, but the word: IXCT looks enough like ΙΧΘΥΣ το μακε με λοοκ τωιςε.

Chfan wrote:Really? Because I thought this one was actually pretty funny and the joke was better executed than it has been. And what was it recycled from? I don't remember another one like this.

Σεε, what you have to understand is that, for SirMustapha, any comics that mention the same thing, or things in the same category of thing, are all the same. So, any comic that involves sex is the same recycled joke. Any comic that relates to computers, math, or science is a cynical appeal for nerd cred. And I assume there are some comics out there that deal with sleep, dreams, etc., so they're more or less identical to this one.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

from canada

Postby from canada » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

XKCDeviant wrote:I would ask if I should stay at home all day to keep myself safe, but unfortunatly, that wouldn't change my habits one little bit

Since when did being a shut-in become something to brag about?

And why is Randall sleep deprived, if as some people assume (so that they may have some fleeting connection to another human being) this comic is reflective of himself?

He has all day to look at wikipedia since he doesn't even have a fucking job! There's no reason for him to deprive himself of sleep. That's just a stupid thing to do to yourself.

"OOO look at me I got two hours of sleep cause I was 'surfinz the webz'," yeah good job asshole, I guess damaging your health is the hip thing to do these days?

TheGrammarBolshevik

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:33 pm UTC

from canada wrote:Since when did being a shut-in become something to brag about?

Whooosh!

from canada wrote:He has all day to look at wikipedia since he doesn't even have a fucking job!

He runs a business, which I am told is quite profitable. You might as well point out that Bill Gates is an unemployed college dropout.
Not even sporange.

from canada

Postby from canada » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:38 pm UTC

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:
from canada wrote:Since when did being a shut-in become something to brag about?

Whooosh!

Every joke holds a kernel of truth motherfucker...

Edit: I didn't notice the link and thought you meant it was all sarcasm. Still, being self-deprecating doesn't change anything. By calling himself on it he's trying to legatimize being a social outcast, just because other people might do it too.

from canada wrote:He has all day to look at wikipedia since he doesn't even have a fucking job!

He runs a business, which I am told is quite profitable. You might as well point out that Bill Gates is an unemployed college dropout.

I didn't know someone who sold t-shirts could be compared to Bill Gates.

TheGrammarBolshevik

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:52 pm UTC

from canada wrote:Every joke holds a kernel of truth motherfucker...

Questionable as this is, such jokes still wouldn't amount to bragging. Is this the part where I call you a shitshampooer?

from canada wrote:I didn't know someone who sold t-shirts could be compared to Bill Gates.

The more you know…

They are comparable in that they both earn a living from the businesses that they founded. Therefore, they are comparable in that, while neither has a sit-at-a-desk-and-do-what-your-boss-says jobby job, neither is the shiftless failure which you make out Randall to be.
Not even sporange.

t-note

Postby t-note » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:54 pm UTC

tojo940 wrote:This is what I immediately thought of. Probably because I'm somewhat obsessed with Chinese culture.

This reminds me of some strange things I experimented with in high school...
Also of note, I once went a full 10 day stretch with only 7 hours of sleep during the whole thing. (asking why will get you no where) By the end, I had a migraine like you wouldn't believe and everything was kind of fuzzy. I finally laid down on my bed and just laid there for hours til my brain shut down. I'm not sure how long I slept after that, but my brain stopped hurting and I finally went back to 4-7 hours of sleep a night for the most part.

SirMustapha wrote:What? You folks don't know what ICT is? You must be TROLLS, all of you!

Yes, I am, and if you cross the bridge I will eat you.

littlelj wrote:GTFOOMFHR My two-year-old was up for over three hours in the night (1am-4.15am, since you're asking) and today I am a complete zombie.

Squirrel = SQL. I read this comic as "I am so sleep-deprived that my internal deliberations about SQL databases with tree-like systems is manifesting itself in hallucinations about squirrels and trees."

A little IT knowledge is a very dangerous thing.

Edited TWICE dammit for stupid sleep-deprivation-induced bad spelling and punctuation.

That was something I was seeing as a double meaning to this, which made it super funny. ah the layers to some jokes just keep getting peeled back...

from canada

Postby from canada » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:06 pm UTC

They are comparable in that they both earn a living from the businesses that they founded. Therefore, they are comparable in that, while neither has a sit-at-a-desk-and-do-what-your-boss-says jobby job, neither is the shiftless failure which you make out Randall to be.

Okay my turn:

Randall - got a physics degree
Gates - dropped out of college

Gates - built a multi-million dollar company known world-wide and is essentially a cornerstone of everyday life (yes I realize there's nothing that inherently makes Microsoft irreplaceable, but the fact is it's not going away)

Randall - "draws" a stick-figure comic 3 times a week and sells t-shirts and posters with images of said comics on them

And no that doesn't mean everyone that's not Bill Gates is a failure, it just means that he's not someone Randall can be compared too. It's okay, as long as the peons don't lose faith he can still be King of his corner of the internet.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”