0777: "Pore Strips"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

NotAllThere

Re: "Pore Strips" discussion (#777)

Postby NotAllThere » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:19 pm UTC

I'm sometimes surprised how much comes out. I didn't realise it was flakes of bone.
yangosplat wrote:So many amazing quotes, so little room in 300 characters!

ritvax

Postby ritvax » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:23 pm UTC

Quite possibly the grossest concept since the ear wax candle.
I wish I was running VMS v.6.5

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:19 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:Here we are! Definite proof once and for all that Randall is a plagiarist. Are you reading this, xkcd sucks blog?

What are you, insane?? The box reads "Deep cleaning" at the lower right. This is CLEARLY an entirely different joke that nobody has ever done before.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:21 pm UTC

Ask yourself these question:

If Randall were a plagiarist, why are some of his jokes so bad?
Do you really think Randall spends his time looking for obscure jokes from whatever corner of the internet you happened to find a similar joke, just to round up material for his stick figure comic?
And what of all the jokes that are clearly not copies of anything thought of before? Why bother?

Move on. Original ideas are very hard to come by.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

RabbitWho

Postby RabbitWho » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:15 pm UTC

neoliminal wrote:Ask yourself these question:

Do you really think Randall spends his time looking for obscure jokes from whatever corner of the internet you happened to find a similar joke, just to round up material for his stick figure comic?
And what of all the jokes that are clearly not copies of anything thought of before? Why bother?

There's no such thing as an original idea. All of the potential of human thoughts are stored like books in a library. We cannot own them, only take them down for short periods of time, sometimes wiping the dust off them.

Sometimes you're the first person to get a book out, but it was there waiting, someone else would take it out if you didn't, and many will take it out after you.

SpringLoaded12 wrote:Clearly you aren't very devoted to being awesome.

It's effortless.

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:25 pm UTC

Query: does anyone else feel a compulsion to buy some of these and try them out? I imagine it must be very... satisfying to pull out all those blackheads in one go.
...And before you ask: yes, I do like to listen to myself talk!

Mr. Burke

Postby Mr. Burke » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:55 pm UTC

amiller wrote:Pretend your Hamlet ... methinks :wink:

I fail to see how pretending my Hamlet is going to help.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:51 pm UTC

This was actually really funny. Kind of simplistic, but even if it has been done before, it's not exactly overdone- hell, I've never seen it. The execution was also much better than it usually is- nothing weighing the joke down.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

Дерсу Узала

Postby Дерсу Узала » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:54 pm UTC

"I was ... vaguely fascinated ..."

Wait. What does that even mean?

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:20 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:This is unusually gross for an xkcd, but I thought it was funny. I'm now wondering about the skeletal structure in the rest of the stick figure.

Very, very skinny.

RabbitWho wrote:
neoliminal wrote:Ask yourself these question:

There's no such thing as an original idea. All of the potential of human thoughts are stored like books in a library. We cannot own them, only take them down for short periods of time, sometimes wiping the dust off them.

Sometimes you're the first person to get a book out, but it was there waiting, someone else would take it out if you didn't, and many will take it out after you.

Didn't Qoheleth say that over 2000 years ago? Ecclesiastes 1: 1-2, 4, 9-10"
"The words of David's son, Qoheleth, king in Jerusalem: Vanity of vanities, says Qoheleth, vanity of vanities! All things are vanity! ... One generation passes and another comes, but the world forever stays. The sun rises and the sun goes down; then it presses on to the place where it rises. ... What has been, that will be; what has been done, that will be done. Nothing is new under the sun. Even the thing of which we say, "See, this is new!" has already existed in the ages that preceded us."
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Tactical Bacon

Postby Tactical Bacon » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:17 pm UTC

you know, that stuff is like hairspray, and hairspray does nasty things to your pores

axilog14

Postby axilog14 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:12 pm UTC

My pore strip anecdote: Around here I don't see the ready-to-use pore tape strips for sale anymore, what we do get is this weird white cream you apply on your nose and leave on for 5 minutes, at which point it dries into this rubbery substance you have to carefully pull off.

I've used this stuff three times. Only the first time yielded any of the shocking, disgusting and vaguely fascinating results mentioned in the comic. Yay, I don't have clogged nose pores anymore?

Steve the Pocket wrote:So how long have three of the quick links been different, and I just hadn't noticed yet?

SpringLoaded12 wrote:OH MY GOD THE SMALL SQUARE IMAGES THAT ARE SAMPLES FROM OTHER NOTEWORTHY COMICS HAVE CHANGED! WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN

Oh God, thank you. I have always wondered about been bothered by those five thumbnails that always appeared at the bottom of the home page ("Selected Comics" really does not tell you much), and I nearly flipped out after seeing them changed.

Explain, anybody! Explain!

Please?
"Yes, my life is pathetic. But I still prefer it to the alternative!"

from canada

Postby from canada » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:34 am UTC

axilog14 wrote:

Please?

Randall was self-conscious of the fact that his best work was behind him and so replaced some of the "favourites" with more recent work in an attempt to persuade people that these comics are actually better than they really are and that the last few years of comics haven't been a cesspool of utter regret.

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:39 am UTC

Clever!
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Switch31

Postby Switch31 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:19 am UTC

from canada wrote:
axilog14 wrote:

Please?

Randall was self-conscious of the fact that his best work was behind him and so replaced some of the "favourites" with more recent work in an attempt to persuade people that these comics are actually better than they really are and that the last few years of comics haven't been a cesspool of utter regret.

That's a bit harsh...I mean "cesspool of utter regret" is really overstating it. It's still pretty clever on many days. Honestly, I didn't care for this one that much because it seems like low hanging comedy fruit. And I'll agree that the recent stuff isn't as consistently good as it was a couple of years ago...but really, it's not all that bad.

fernie

Postby fernie » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:24 am UTC

I like watching most of the police-procedural shows (including the ones with lots of gore), I enjoy watching the aftermath of horror films, I've changed diapers, seen dead animals, short of working at an ER or as an undertaker I used to think I had a very good strong stomach... for some reason when I googled (along with several dozen other xkcd followers judging from the comments on youtube)these strips and found some videos and images... I gagged and nearly puked... for some reason a nose-fat-grease-bacterial-deposit turned into a cactus really grossed me out... typing that last sentence had the same effect ....

General Meevious

Postby General Meevious » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:20 am UTC

On the subject of poor strips: http://xkcd.com/777/

BlueNight

Postby BlueNight » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:22 am UTC

RabbitWho wrote:There's no such thing as an original idea. All of the potential of human thoughts are stored like books in a library. We cannot own them, only take them down for short periods of time, sometimes wiping the dust off them.

I came up with "listening to" body language using the language centers of the brain just before Batgirl (Cassandra Cain) debuted. There are ten more ideas I had just before someone else's completed work arrived.
---------
BlueNight

Maquox

Postby Maquox » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:31 am UTC

Switch31 wrote:
from canada wrote:
axilog14 wrote:

Please?

<<Stuff>>

That's a bit harsh...I mean "cesspool of utter regret" is really overstating it. It's still pretty clever on many days. Honestly, I didn't care for this one that much because it seems like low hanging comedy fruit. And I'll agree that the recent stuff isn't as consistently good as it was a couple of years ago...but really, it's not all that bad.

The problem is not the lack of consistency in the comic's cleverness and humour, it is the fact that notable numbers are used in sub-par strips.

777 being an example.

Time Kitten

Postby Time Kitten » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:55 am UTC

I tried the poor strips once, and it didn't want to come off the scar on my nose. Tore the skin around the scar a bit before I finally went to soak it off.

Chrysalis

Postby Chrysalis » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:12 am UTC

Fat Zombie wrote:Query: does anyone else feel a compulsion to buy some of these and try them out? I imagine it must be very... satisfying to pull out all those blackheads in one go.

Yes, me. I've never used pore strips in my life, and this strip led me to watch a very detailed youtube video showing exactly how they work. Now I wish I could get the image out of my head again. :| It seems that applying kid's glue to your nose also works, as a cheap alternative.
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Karilyn

Postby Karilyn » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:40 pm UTC

axilog14 wrote:My pore strip anecdote: Around here I don't see the ready-to-use pore tape strips for sale anymore, what we do get is this weird white cream you apply on your nose and leave on for 5 minutes, at which point it dries into this rubbery substance you have to carefully pull off.

I've used this stuff three times. Only the first time yielded any of the shocking, disgusting and vaguely fascinating results mentioned in the comic. Yay, I don't have clogged nose pores anymore?

Rubbery stuff is better than the tape strips IMO. Hell I make my own. A tablespoon of unflavored gelatin. A tablespoon of milk. Mix until chunky. Microwave for 10 seconds. It should now resemble a goopy glue-like consistency. Allow to cool about 20 seconds so it doesn't burn your skin (You can test it on your arm or something). Brush over nose (for all the men out there without makeup brushes, a small 1/4th-1/2 inch clean unused paintbrush would work too). Wait 10 minutes for it to dry hard. Pull off slowly.

And depending on your facial composition, you may only need to do it once in a blue moon. Hell, some blackheads on your face could easily be 4-6 years old. Remove them, and your face no longer is the teenage cesspool of oil and grime, then it may very well not develop again.
Gelsamel wrote:If you punch him in the face repeatedly then it's science.

clanders

Postby clanders » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:21 pm UTC

Does anyone remember that episode of RvB early on, where Jimmy got beat with his own skull by Tex?

"This doesn't seem physically possible!"

RabbitWho

Postby RabbitWho » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:53 pm UTC

BlueNight wrote:
RabbitWho wrote:There's no such thing as an original idea. All of the potential of human thoughts are stored like books in a library. We cannot own them, only take them down for short periods of time, sometimes wiping the dust off them.

I came up with "listening to" body language using the language centers of the brain just before Batgirl (Cassandra Cain) debuted. There are ten more ideas I had just before someone else's completed work arrived.

Me too! (not those specific ideas) Isn't it so frustrating! But at least there's no pressure; if I don't do the wonderful creative world changing thing.. someone else will!

Lukeisheretic

Postby Lukeisheretic » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:00 am UTC

THIS COMIC SUCKS SO MUCH BALLS
randall has disappointed me again and again
fail
epic fail
his humor is slacking
oh lets point out something slightly funny and NOT HAVE A FUCKINGPUNCHLINE ABOUT IT YEAA!!!! IM A Genius!

excuse my anger i used to care for xkcd, now its just disappointment again and again. i want the days of: http://xkcd.com/150/ back... i want the blissfully nostalgia, i want the blinding loving honeymoon.
im sorry xkcd we have to break up i just dont feel the same about us anymore

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:51 am UTC

Lukeisheretic wrote:THIS COMIC SUCKS SO MUCH BALLS

Insightful.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Ghona

Postby Ghona » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:22 am UTC

Lukeisheretic wrote:THIS COMIC SUCKS SO MUCH BALLS
randall has disappointed me again and again
fail
epic fail
his humor is slacking
oh lets point out something slightly funny and NOT HAVE A FUCKINGPUNCHLINE ABOUT IT YEAA!!!! IM A Genius!

excuse my anger i used to care for xkcd, now its just disappointment again and again. i want the days of: http://xkcd.com/150/ back... i want the blissfully nostalgia, i want the blinding loving honeymoon.
im sorry xkcd we have to break up i just dont feel the same about us anymore

Your delivery was sloppy. While I understand the pun you were going for (balls vs. balls), the unorganized content of your post ended up completely undermining any potential comedic value.

D-, would not read again.
If you're taking me too seriously, you probably are making a mistake.

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:08 am UTC

RabbitWho wrote:I had this exact joke on a geocities page called "Oil of Olay exposé" when I was 15. If geocities hadn't gone under I could show it to you :(

If?

http://www.geociti.es
http://www.reocities.com
http://www.oocities.com
http://www.geocities.ws

Your page is there, somewhere. Not even Yahoo itself could kill GeoCities. :D
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

Mavrisa

Postby Mavrisa » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:17 am UTC

Mr. Burke wrote:
amiller wrote:Pretend your Hamlet ... methinks :wink:

I fail to see how pretending my Hamlet is going to help.

Normally people would see you as an asshole for that, but I got a good chuckle out of this. Well done, sir.
"I think nature's imagination is so much greater than man's, she's never gonna let us relax."

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:55 am UTC

Ghona wrote:Your delivery was sloppy. While I understand the pun you were going for (balls vs. balls), the unorganized content of your post ended up completely undermining any potential comedic value.

D-, would not read again.

<giggles uncontrollably>

Now I have to explain my co-workers that I am laughing about nothing, nothing at all and it's all your fault! :mrgreen:
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

RabbitWho

Postby RabbitWho » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:26 am UTC

RebeccaRGB wrote:
RabbitWho wrote:I had this exact joke on a geocities page called "Oil of Olay exposé" when I was 15. If geocities hadn't gone under I could show it to you :(

If?

http://www.geociti.es
http://www.reocities.com
http://www.oocities.com
http://www.geocities.ws

Your page is there, somewhere. Not even Yahoo itself could kill GeoCities. :D

I tried the Internet archive before, trying the ones you linked now.

I'm pretty sure the site name was "schism" and I've put in some unique sentences I remember, but no sign of it.

For a while it was hosted by a friend on a subdomain: http://catharsis.freakfm.com
The frame is in the Internet archive: http://web.archive.org/web/200703161623 ... eakfm.com/
Which I'm delighted about, because I worked so hard on that frame.

Ggrogg

Postby Ggrogg » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:36 am UTC

mdistancerunner wrote:
"I'm sure they're a harmful tool of the cosmetics-industrial complex and all, but my goodness do those strips ever work to pull gunk out of your pores. I was shocked, disgusted, and vaguely fascinated by the result."

Glad to see I'm not the only one that finds the results a little interesting to look at :)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”