0780: "Sample"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rpgamer

Re: Sample (#780) discussion

Postby rpgamer » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:06 am UTC

Who listens to the radio anymore? Everyone seems to have some sort of music storage device anymore, and there are plenty of ways to hook those up in the car, and just as many stereo accessories that may be purchased.

Only liking music that doesn't exist on the radio has helped me in this regard, I suppose.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.

Otto

Postby Otto » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:15 am UTC

Oh yes, absolutely. There's this one song that has a sample in it, sort of in the background, that sounds exactly like the ring sound of my old Nokia cell phone. Even though I haven't had that phone in ten years, every time I hear the song and hear that sound, I reach for my phone. It's annoying as hell.

Technical Ben

Re: "Sample" discussion (#780)

Postby Technical Ben » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:24 am UTC

Heard a rap song last year with a sample that reminded me of the old mega drive games I use to play. It wasn't quite "sonic the hedgehog" more "Cool Spot" in sound.
It's the police sirens that get me every time! :shock:
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

zkillz

Postby zkillz » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:45 am UTC

Nineteen by Teegan and Sara has a beep in it of the same tone as my cars out of gas beep. only happens once in the song, super weird.

taj

Postby taj » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:54 am UTC

Bobsama wrote:
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Semi-relatedly, alarm clock noises from televisions, etc., freak me way the fuck out. Fear of school, I suppose.

I find telephone rings or police sirens to be much worse. I've actually received phone calls while listening to something like that.

Sirens in songs always freak me out while I'm driving. For a split second I'll think that I'm getting pulled over.

Trung2695

Postby Trung2695 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:58 am UTC

Reading this comic reminds me how much I hate good sound track converted into ring tones :(

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:17 am UTC

Brillant, catchy instant classics?

Framling

Postby Framling » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:19 am UTC

There's a Goodwill commercial that's been playing for the last few weeks that has a car crash sound in it. Really great to hear right when you're pulling out of a driveway.
your = belonging to you
you're = you are
their = belonging to them
they're = they are
there = not here

syko_lozz

Postby syko_lozz » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:22 am UTC

benlukes wrote:Did he just misspell "Brilliant"?

yeah?! did he? or have I missed the introduction of "brillant" as a term?
Debate politics with a fern. If you lose, refuse to water it.

marten

Postby marten » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:24 am UTC

"Take me to the hospital" from The Prodigy has a siren that sounds almost exactly like the sirens of our actual ambulances here in the Netherlands. Gets me every time.

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:25 am UTC

Oh, I apparently posted into the wrong thread. Well, let's put it here too.
Ubik wrote:Brillant, catchy instant classics?
But it is probably a typo.

AL_

Postby AL_ » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:46 am UTC

Proabably of little use if you're in you're in your car (unless you'bve got a really fancy hifi) but may I sugges the excellent BBC 6 Music. It is just plain good. Free to listen to, those of us here in the UK kindly pay for it through our TV licence fees. No commercials.

F. Nord

Postby F. Nord » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:47 am UTC

Back when i lived with my parents there was a song which had a part in it that sounded exactly like my mother calling me in an angry voice.
It was horrible...

psyEDk

Postby psyEDk » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:57 am UTC

Bobsama wrote:Alt: There are two or three songs out there with beeps in the chorus that sound exactly like the clock radio alarm I had in high school, and hearing it makes me think my life since junior year has been a dream I'm about to wake up from.

You're right, this has all has been your dream.
PLEASE DON'T WAKE UP!
I don't want to die :(
psy/OPs :.
Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter
¯ Project 2501

melladh

Postby melladh » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:06 am UTC

This reminds me of a coworker who recorded the fire alarm and used it as his ringtone.
Image Image

Dream Felix

Postby Dream Felix » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:15 am UTC

You know, there was a song I used to listen to all the time that always had the exact same sound as the one made when someone chats with you in gtalk, but for the life of me I can't remember what that song is anymore. It used to drive me crazy.

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:44 am UTC

A couple of months ago there was a song on high rotation on triplej (something by crystal castles IIRC) which had a *beep* just like my phones SMS alert. V irritating
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

plams

Postby plams » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:50 am UTC

xkcd's ideas sometimes gain quite a following - like wet riffs, read-my-youtube-commmnt-aloud, glued chessboard, geohashing, etc. How long before someone composes this instant classic? I might give it a shot..

Ouch.jars

Postby Ouch.jars » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:02 am UTC

syko_lozz wrote:
benlukes wrote:Did he just misspell "Brilliant"?

Yeah! Did he? Or have I missed the introduction of "brillant" as a term?

Hey, wait... I've been using "brillant" after a misspelling I saw a few years ago. GOOMH Randall!

(I've been waiting for ages to say that)
ouchjars: putting the "pie" in "sapience" since '08

Kartoffelkopf

Postby Kartoffelkopf » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:04 am UTC

I've had the opposite effect: when I'm listening to music and a sound nearby occurs in perfect timing with the song, so I think it's part of it. Then I'm disappointed when I rewind and find out that it is not, in fact, part of the song.

As a fan of industrial music, I love sirens and samples in songs, especially if they come out of the middle of nowhere. I used to be able to think of about five songs off the top of my head featuring an air raid siren at the beginning. I can't really think of anything weird or jarring in music right now, but try this while you're in a construction zone - it doesn't really have any particularly ordinary samples, but the same raw sound is there.
Last edited by Kartoffelkopf on Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:53 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

alexophile

Postby alexophile » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:13 am UTC

Even more unnerving I think is when The Flaming Lips sample the GSM interference sound on a few tracks from Embryonic. That'll mess with your head - even though my speakers have solid enough RF shielding to prevent cell interference, it still gets me every time.

Kartoffelkopf

Postby Kartoffelkopf » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:14 am UTC

[DATA EXPUNGED]
Last edited by Kartoffelkopf on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kyrn

Postby Kyrn » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 am UTC

Kartoffelkopf wrote:I've had the opposite effect: when I'm listening to music and a sound nearby occurs in perfect timing with the song, so I think it's part of it. Then I'm disappointed when I rewind and find out that it is not, in fact, part of the song.

As a fan of industrial music, I love sirens and samples in songs, especially if they come out of the middle of nowhere. I used to be able to think of about five songs off the top of my head featuring an air raid siren at the beginning. I can't really think of anything weird or jarring in music right now, but try this while you're in a construction zone - it doesn't really have any particularly ordinary samples, but the same raw sound is there.

Of course, that's the whole point of 4′33″.
I am NOT a snake.

Opinions discussed are not necessarily the opinions of the people discussing them.

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:23 am UTC

to become a hated band in the music community the annoyance is unnecessary, simply release and album of radio hits that everyone loves and you're guaranteed a level of hatred from critics and musicians alike.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:30 am UTC

I've had a different way of having this in reverse. There's a song I like that starts with a couple of pizzicato notes from a cello, a higher one and then a lower one. The thing is that the same kind of two-tone pattern is used on a lot of door opening noises in shops, so whenever I go in and hear it, I expect to hear the rest of the song and then it doesn't come.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:39 am UTC

Songs with sirens in them should not be on the radio. I hate when I'm driving, hear sirens in the background of the music, and then have to look around like an idiot for the non-existent emergency vehicle to confirm whether I need to pull off to the side to let it go by.

Also, can't remember the song, but there is one that I heard a lot a couple years ago on the radio that had a drum beat that sounded exactly like my turn signal noise. I'd be driving along, and all of a sudden think "Oh shit, my turn signal is on!" It never was, but the infuriating part is that I did this after every turn I made while listening to this song...

Chiffre

Postby Chiffre » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:47 am UTC

There is an organ suite called "Toot suite". It's a piece for organ and four hands (and of course four feet). It is a "normal" organ piece, but has an unrelated sound in it time-to-time. I think the auhor is the couple (both church organists) that played it, and the single voice might have meant their first child (who knows only one tone yet). They said it's a Schickele piece, but an expert smilingly told me that it can't be.
Spoiler:

Keiji

Postby Keiji » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:20 am UTC

I registered just to say that a few particular songs I listen to have a bit in them that sounds like someone calling me.

Scares the crap out of me, every time.

This comic has been the best one in quite a while. :D

Sire Styx

Postby Sire Styx » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:23 am UTC

(Not exactly to do with a song) but it seems that my phone's ringtone just happens to be a "stock sound" for phones, so every time there's a phone noise on the radio or TV or such I think I'm ringing :\
I should really change it but lol.

chrth

Postby chrth » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:40 am UTC

"Record an album that's nothing but brilliant, catchy instant classics, guaranteed popularity and airtime ..."

Holy crap, Randall, I'm in the middle of doing that! GOOMH!

Nah not really

As for why I listen to the radio, I have a 5-minute commute both to and fro work. It seems pointless to spend the time hooking up an iPod to hear one song.
Recently a local oldies station that was pretty much the only place for the Beatles (the local classic rock station plays more 70s and 80s and *shudder* 90s) converted to a Christian format. I guess Lennon was wrong. :(

EDIT: My cell phone ringtone is the sax solo from Baker Street. When my toddler hears the actual song, he thinks my phone is ringing and pretends to answer it.

katastrophe

Postby katastrophe » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:45 am UTC

My brother's girlfriend used to put on a top twenty station at work. Unfortunately (while not at all musical) I have an excellent audio memory, so I had the "AUGH" moment identifying from which older song they had lifted a sample and looped to stand in for their lack of musical talent. There's nothing quite like getting a brain-queue to hear "Brown-Eyed Girl" or "White Winged Dove" and getting some vacuous piece of pop instead.

bonjonelson

Postby bonjonelson » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:57 pm UTC

The classic song "Rock the Casbah" by The Clash has something that sounds perfectly like a cellphone ringtone (old-school non-polyphonic), and has fooled friends of mine in the car several times. Not bad considering the song came out in 1982, quite some time before the first person was ever irritated by a ringtone.

monicaclaire
Location: Where you will never get to me. Sometimes, but not all the time, on P3X-774.

Postby monicaclaire » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:00 pm UTC

Yes, the exact frequency and duration of my work email warning is within the first minute of Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor, Op. 64, 3rd movement. I will still instinctively pull up my email while listening to it. :lol:

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:13 pm UTC

Seems I'm lucky: I don't think there are any Top X stations in my area(there's enough local talent that there's really no excuse); of course, half the stations are in Spanish so I could easily be wrong. Hell, even Clear Channel's stations are decent.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

danowar

Postby danowar » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:19 pm UTC

a wiseass DJ friend of mine at one point had made a cd for me of some of his latest tracks. he knows that i am a chronic automotive hypochondriac, so he put various broken-car sounds (engine knock, mysterious grinding sounds, etc) randomly interspersed throughout the cd at varying sound levels. it took a good hour for me to figure it out. perhaps he and mr. black hat should get together for a collaboration. ;P

codeman38

Postby codeman38 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:22 pm UTC

bonjonelson wrote:The classic song "Rock the Casbah" by The Clash has something that sounds perfectly like a cellphone ringtone (old-school non-polyphonic), and has fooled friends of mine in the car several times. Not bad considering the song came out in 1982, quite some time before the first person was ever irritated by a ringtone.

From what I've read, that noise is actually the alarm from one of the band members' Dukes of Hazzard digital watch. And yes, if you listen carefully, it is, as you might expect, playing "Dixie". (Edited to add: Other anecdotes have it that it's a Pac-Man watch that, inexplicably, plays "Dixie" rather than a Pac-Man theme. But it's a watch that plays Dixie, whatever license it had...)

Related to this topic, I swear that Röyksopp's "Happy Up Here" (look for it on YouTube; I can't post links yet...) samples the "new mail" sound from OS X and iOS at about 30 seconds in. I even went and listened to the .aiff file for comparison, and other than a slight pitch change, it's identical. Let's just say that several times while I've listened to that song, I've instinctively checked for new e-mails...
Last edited by codeman38 on Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Apeiron

Postby Apeiron » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:39 pm UTC

Throw in some car alarms or sirens for added infuriation.

skylink

Postby skylink » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:06 pm UTC

There's a part in Perfume - Electro World that sounds exactly like the MSN Message sound. And it bothers me every time I fall for it.

jzimbert

Postby jzimbert » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:12 pm UTC

So this is how to become Nickelback, huh?

This totally happened to me, too. I was flipping through the stations one day, and heard this song where I swear the guy did nothing but play my cell phone ring. I think his name was Beethoven, or something like that. What ever happened to originality?

alahos

Postby alahos » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:22 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:If there was any doubt after Still No Sleep, the alt-text makes it clear Randall has recently seen Inception.

non, je ne regrette rien...

Maybe he has...

Les dimanches de printemps
Tout flanqués de soleil
Qui effacent en brillant
Les soucis de la veille
Dimanche plein de ciel bleu
Et de rires d'enfants
De promenades d'amoureux
Aux timides serments

Edit: Maybe he just hates Sundays.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”