0780: "Sample"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

cparker15

Re: "Sample" discussion (#780)

Postby cparker15 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:24 pm UTC

DarthMarth wrote:"The Glass Prison" by Dream Theater is one of my favorite songs, but it has a sound effect of a car crash in it. Not good to listen to while driving.

Now I know I've been spending too much time on Stack Overflow... I was just looking for the button to upvote you.

I love Dream Theater! I especially love The Glass Prison!
Peter Gibbons wrote:I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

tundraazul

Re: Sample (#780) discussion

Postby tundraazul » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:25 pm UTC

Magic mushrooms by 1200 micrograms has this alarm sound in it. One night I was a bit altered and listening to this song, and kept thinking the fire alarm was going off. I didnt say anything because I thought I was imagining it. But then I listened to the song sober, and was like, dude..

Besides that, I always jump when they use the same alarm as mine in a movie.

art

Postby art » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:33 pm UTC

Randall's comics lately have proven good stimulus for interesting forum talk, but not much more.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:07 pm UTC

The worst is when a song has sirens in it, and you think there is an invisible ambulance somewhere and you need to pull over.

If I owned a radio station, I would ban any song with sirens for that reason; my only listeners are people who are driving, so I don't want to scare away the last few people I have.

Brineshrimp

Postby Brineshrimp » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:50 pm UTC

Katy Perry's California Girls gets me every time. Those darn girls in their darn jeeps.
Cramped Crustaceans need love too.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:58 pm UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:The alternative Christian metal station adds techno into their playlists in the wee hours of the morning and the classical station has all kinds of niche classical hours.

I'm just blown over by the fact that there is such a thing as an alternative Christian metal station, but the fact that they also play techno makes it epic win.

Also, if practically all the radio stations are Top 40-ish anymore, how the hell do new songs get on the chart? (in before some smug hipster says "they don't")
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Sulayman-F

Postby Sulayman-F » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:11 pm UTC

Vanessa Carlton's song, A Thousand Miles, was a top-40 song for ages, and it has the sound of a police siren, as if a cop just turned it on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwkej79U3ek#t=3m20s (link to moment in song) Playing it while driving used to startle me, as my head would snap to the rear-view mirror.

Eventually I'd use this to my advantage when I had passengers, I'd turn it up and then act like I was getting pulled over, making all my passengers whip around and look out the back window for the phantom police car.

dwasifar

Postby dwasifar » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:25 pm UTC

Iluvatar wrote:I'd jerk off my headphones at work...

By rubbing the cord, or what?

@dmin

Postby @dmin » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:28 pm UTC

God I hate when songs or radio commercials have police sirens in them, I normally get that adrenaline rush and look around for where the cop car is thats trying to pull me over.

DorkRawk

Postby DorkRawk » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:53 pm UTC

The first song on the Less Than Jake record Borders & Boundaries (Magnetic North) starts with this really cool bass riff. I used to use that CD for an alarm clock back in high school and now whenever I hear that song it reminds me of having to wake up way too early.

EduardoLeon

Postby EduardoLeon » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:19 pm UTC

DarthMarth wrote:"The Glass Prison" by Dream Theater is one of my favorite songs, but it has a sound effect of a car crash in it. Not good to listen to while driving.

cparker15 wrote:I love Dream Theater! I especially love The Glass Prison!

When the keyboardist is constantly proving the vastness of his keyboard's sound patches, why do you complain about a mere car crash sound? I would complain about the keyboardist himself.

TL;DR, and also somewhat off-topic:

Spoiler:
Meh, The Glass Prison is rather flat and boring, with almost no dynamics. I mean, it is a nice song (for the first five or six minutes or so) but it should not last fourteen minutes. (No, guys, your p***ses do not get any longer when you write longer tunes.) How many minutes would be saved (and, thus, invested in other more important activities) if they trimmed all Rudess' solos from it? The man might be the best "rock" musician ever (technique-wise), but he struggles too hard to rock. Except for a few golden moments like the continuum solo in the end of The Dark Eternal Night, of course, but those moments are very rare. This is coming from a keyboardist and longtime Dream Theater fan.

cparker15 wrote:Now I know I've been spending too much time on Stack Overflow... I was just looking for the button to upvote you.

Well, I thought people on Stack Overflow upvoted answers/posts based on their technical merits, not personal opinions (unless those opinions are technical, of course). But it has been a long time since I am not an active user, so things might have changed a bit.

@dmin wrote:God I hate when songs or radio commercials have police sirens in them, I normally get that adrenaline rush and look around for where the cop car is that's trying to pull me over.

It is like they do not know how to make their songs and radio commercials more interesting by and on themselves, "so let's throw this loud, completely random sample, just to ensure we have caught your full attention, even if our content is not appealing enough to you on its own merits." I understand that the lack of a visual element prevents from appealing to the most important psychological drive according to Freud (or, more explicitly, using images of young, attractive people; and in the case of girls, provocatively and perhaps scantily dressed), but there must be other less disturbing resources.
Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein!

libra

Postby libra » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:25 pm UTC

benlukes wrote:Did he just misspell "Brilliant"?

I do believe he has.

twilliams1755

Postby twilliams1755 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:53 pm UTC

Zanmanoodle wrote:There's one station back home (I'm at school now) called "The River" based out of Gainesville, GA. They play "classic hits", but I swear it's the same ten songs over and over and over again. If I hear them play Dream Weaver one more time... RAGE

YES. i drove from cartersville to athens and back yesterday. i flipped through 94.9, 101.5, 96.1, and 97.1, and i was tired of all four by the time i got home. atlanta needs something new! though out of canton, 105.7 just started up. its somewhat obscure.

Xerox_Cat

Postby Xerox_Cat » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:59 pm UTC

I actually created this problem for myself. i hated the windows error noises, so I replaced them with short parts of songs. (intro to Rage Against the Machine's Guerrilla Radio, first beat from Beck's Pressure Zone)
now whenever i hear the songs away from my computer, i jump a bit

Kalos

Postby Kalos » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:01 pm UTC

Mainstream hip hop has already been doing this for years, the only people who are fooled are your doting grandmothers.

Aelfyre

Postby Aelfyre » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:03 pm UTC

codeman38 wrote:
bonjonelson wrote:The classic song "Rock the Casbah" by The Clash has something that sounds perfectly like a cellphone ringtone (old-school non-polyphonic), and has fooled friends of mine in the car several times. Not bad considering the song came out in 1982, quite some time before the first person was ever irritated by a ringtone.

From what I've read, that noise is actually the alarm from one of the band members' Dukes of Hazzard digital watch. And yes, if you listen carefully, it is, as you might expect, playing "Dixie". (Edited to add: Other anecdotes have it that it's a Pac-Man watch that, inexplicably, plays "Dixie" rather than a Pac-Man theme. But it's a watch that plays Dixie, whatever license it had...)

Related to this topic, I swear that Röyksopp's "Happy Up Here" (look for it on YouTube; I can't post links yet...) samples the "new mail" sound from OS X and iOS at about 30 seconds in. I even went and listened to the .aiff file for comparison, and other than a slight pitch change, it's identical. Let's just say that several times while I've listened to that song, I've instinctively checked for new e-mails...

THATS the song I was trying to think of... Rock The Casbah.. yeah it is definatley playing Dixie.. I never heard the story about it being a band members watch tho.. I wonder how it didnt get edited out if it wasn't intentional.. musta not had the software for it back then.. LOL
Xanthir wrote:To be fair, even perfectly friendly antimatter wildebeests are pretty deadly.

paste

Maybe "Random" could be extended

Postby paste » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:14 pm UTC

The problem with the "random" inserting of sound effects in prerecorded tracks is that continuous radio-play will mean these sound effects would become predictable over time. If I were the artist to make this song, I would insist that the radio stations who play it install a DRM program that would, while playing my song, insert a random number of randomly selected sound effects at random points in the song.

I would also insist that the commercial version of the song not have this DRM requirement in order to add to the mystery. And to make listeners think the radio stations are crazy or broken. More so than they already are.

johnfreeman45

Postby johnfreeman45 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:16 pm UTC

I liked the comic, but I would also be so true if you cut off the bottom part and made it:

"How to be the most hated band in the world:"
"Record an album that's nothing but brilliant, catchy instant classics, guaranteed popularity and airtime ..."

Freiberg

Postby Freiberg » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:26 pm UTC

link3000 wrote:A few songs I like have sounds that are just like the Gmail new-chat notification sounds. It's even worse than alarm-clock noises.

Agreed! I was going to post the same thing, but it is better to quote.

flguy1980

Postby flguy1980 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:48 pm UTC

Wow...I once had a similar incident.

When I was in elementary school--4th grade, IIRC--I had a dream where I was in eighth grade at my K-8 school, doing, well, 8th-grade stuff. While the dream was at walking home from school, my alarm clock ended the dream, and that dream remained forever imprinted in my head.

Four years (and 980 miles away, thanks for getting the new job, Dad) later, I'm in 8th grade. One random afternoon, I'm walking home from the school bus stop. A light suddenly turns on in my head, and a weird "something ain't right" feeling comes over me. I remember the dream, and suddenly, my head is darting around, thinking that any second, my alarm clock would sound, I'd wake up four years in the past and 980 miles away--finding that I had a four-year dream--and it's off to fourth grade. Fortunately, this didn't happen.

At some point in my life, should my alarm clock jar me out of a long dream and thrust me back to a previous point in my life, I'll make sure to write down as much as I can remember, since that knowledge of the future would put me in a much better position than I'm in now, both financially and personally. Hot Tub Time Machine, anyone?

Damnit Randall, get out of my head! :-)

scottgoblue314

Postby scottgoblue314 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:04 pm UTC

For me, the worst sin a musician can commit is to open a song with one of those brilliant, instantly recognizable opening licks. "Ice Ice Baby" and "All summer Long" are the worst. What makes it even more annoying than the theft itself is that with the exception of "Can't Touch This"/"Superfreak", the rip-off is just an all-around bad song.

rockNme2349

Postby rockNme2349 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:05 pm UTC

I used to listen to eve radio for a while. The DJ's there loved to mix in the "You're being locked" sound effect. It made me jump every time.

Nicad

Postby Nicad » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:21 pm UTC

I forget what it was called, but there was one song that would always come on the radio station that my mom put on in the car with a part that sounded EXACTLY LIKE A SIREN!

Sunidesus

Postby Sunidesus » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:48 pm UTC

melladh wrote:This reminds me of a coworker who recorded the fire alarm and used it as his ringtone.

Reminds me of a coworker who made a ringtone out of the EAS alert noise. I work at a TV station, this is not a noise one wants to hear randomly as it generally means something needs to be done NOW.

Along with a few others upthread I've managed to do the reverse to myself as well. One of the alert noises on my phone is the ST:TNG door signal chirp. And of course now when I watch TNG episodes I find myself constantly reaching for my phone.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:53 pm UTC

EduardoLeon wrote:Meh, The Glass Prison is rather flat and boring, with almost no dynamics. I mean, it is a nice song (for the first five or six minutes or so) but it should not last fourteen minutes. (No, guys, your p***ses do not get any longer when you write longer tunes.) How many minutes would be saved (and, thus, invested in other more important activities) if they trimmed all Rudess' solos from it? The man might be the best "rock" musician ever (technique-wise), but he struggles too hard to rock. Except for a few golden moments like the continuum solo in the end of The Dark Eternal Night, of course, but those moments are very rare. This is coming from a keyboardist and longtime Dream Theater fan.

EduardoLeon wrote: (No, guys, your p***ses do not get any longer when you write longer tunes.)

EduardoLeon wrote: p***ses

Did you fuckin' censor the word "penises"? Heh. Shit's funny yo. Yeah but dream theater sucks cocks. We had a big discussion about it in the "metal" thread in the music forum. About how they're too technical for their own good, and how playing in 17/8 doesn't matter unless it sounds good. As an example: the song "under a glass moon" or whatever. It's everything that's wrong with that band.
uhhhh fuck.

tuseroni

Postby tuseroni » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:39 am UTC

oh god, alarm clocks, esspecially the alarm clock i had in highschool. bad memories of waking up. (i have never had an occasion where i have been woke up and enjoyed the experience...its usually peaceful, serine, maybe something really cool is happening in my dream like im at the climax of some mystery book and then *BEEEEEP* jetted awake groggy and suddenly feeling all the springs from my bed...)

Bobsama

Postby Bobsama » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:00 am UTC

Music is like candy: you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it.

RabbitWho

Postby RabbitWho » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:05 am UTC

The alt-text is wonderful.
Me being a tiny unknown unmentioned character in the universe of a dream of a teenager explains so much!

chees91

Postby chees91 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:28 am UTC

I used to always play an awesome song, Dinosaur Jr.'s See You, in the car - until I realized there was a part in it that sounded like a car faintly beeping its horn. Freaked me out every time.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:35 am UTC

The E major chord at the end of "A Day in the Life" sounds suspiciously like the startup chord on a mac. I think this is an intentional FU to Apple.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:22 am UTC

Nicad wrote:I forget what it was called, but there was one song that would always come on the radio station that my mom put on in the car with a part that sounded EXACTLY LIKE A SIREN!

Is that the song "Breakeven" by The Script?

I'm still alive but I'm barely breathing
Just prayed to a God that I don't believe in
'Cause I got time while she got freedom
'Cause when a heart breaks, no it don't breakeven

Her best days will be some of my worst
She finally met a man that's gonna put her first
While I'm wide awake she's no trouble sleeping
'Cause when a heart breaks, no it don't breakeven, even, no

What am I suppose to do
When the best part of me was always you and
What am I suppose to say
When I'm all choked up and you're okay

I'm falling to pieces, yeah
I'm falling to pieces

They say bad things happen for a reason
But no wise words gonna stop the bleeding
'Cause she's moved on while I'm still grieving
And when a heart breaks, no it don't breakeven, even, no

What am I gonna do
When the best part of me was always you
And what am I suppose to say

I'm falling to pieces
(One's still in love while the other one's leaving)
I'm falling to pieces
('Cause when a heart breaks, no it don't breakeven)

You got his heart and my heart and none of the pain
You took your suitcase, I took the blame
Now I'm tryna make sense of what little remains, oh
'Cause you left me with no love and no love to my name

I'm still alive but I'm barely breathing
Just prayed to a God that I don't believe in
'Cause I got time while she got freedom
'Cause when a heart breaks, no it don't break
No it don't break, no it don't breakeven, no

What am I gonna do
When the best part of me was always you
And what am I supposed to say

I'm falling to pieces
(One's still in love while the other one's leaving)
I'm falling to pieces
('Cause when a heart breaks, no it don't breakeven)

Oh, it don't breakeven, no

No I'm not a fan of the song, but because of that siren alone I change stations whenever I hear this song come on...

thedumbestpersonhere.

Postby thedumbestpersonhere. » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:35 am UTC

I went on a hike on the Lava flow at Kilauea on Hawaii Island and while riding back to Hilo the driver put on a classic rock station with their two for Tuesday thing goin' on.
I was able to guess the majority of second songs that they were going to play by figuring out "what a classic rock format would play" That really sucks.
I suggest student stations and some community stations for real variety.
I actually cheated because I was an AOR progressive DJ when we actually played every cut on an album. When the format tightened I vacated the "career."

The hike on the Lava flow, fanfrickin'tastic recommended highly.

ModestMouse

Postby ModestMouse » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:59 am UTC

"It's gonna take a lot to take me away from you
There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do
I bless the rains down in Africa
Gonna take some time to do the things we never have"

"It's gonna take a lot to take me away from you
There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do
I bless the rains down in Africa,
I bless the rains down in Africa "

There, revenge is mine. No car horns, though. Just some catchy tunes and awkward lyrics. :)

Crap, I think I fragged myself.

Noodles

Postby Noodles » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:02 am UTC

There's a song by Swedish band 'kent', on their B-sides album called 'Langtan Skala 2-1'. At 4-47 there's what I'd swear is an old Windows error/alert sound. Was the weirdest thing when I first listened to it, as I was lying on top of a halfpipe slightly dazed...suddenly hearing a Windows alert made me freak out a little!

Kartoffelkopf

Postby Kartoffelkopf » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:17 am UTC

katastrophe wrote:My brother's girlfriend used to put on a top twenty station at work. Unfortunately (while not at all musical) I have an excellent audio memory, so I had the "AUGH" moment identifying from which older song they had lifted a sample and looped to stand in for their lack of musical talent. There's nothing quite like getting a brain-queue to hear "Brown-Eyed Girl" or "White Winged Dove" and getting some vacuous piece of pop instead.

Ugh. I hate it when this happens. All of those horrible rap/pop songs ripping samples from older songs make me sick, most horribly because there will be people who prefer the newer version, or don't realise there was an older version and associate that sample with the new one...

Xerox_Cat wrote:I actually created this problem for myself. i hated the windows error noises, so I replaced them with short parts of songs. (intro to Rage Against the Machine's Guerrilla Radio, first beat from Beck's Pressure Zone)
now whenever i hear the songs away from my computer, i jump a bit

I had a similar thing occur on my old computer, which had the CODEC sounds from Metal Gear Solid 2 as the system sounds. So, imagine watching a Youtube video of said game, and thinking that your computer is beeping at you...

billythehick

Postby billythehick » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:35 pm UTC

You ended the alt text with a preposition. You bastard.

krucifi

Postby krucifi » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:45 pm UTC

Stay_Puft_marshmallows wrote:in a related note, I SWEAR the autorun for mass effect on the PC plays a sound when you start the game that sounds exactly like the opening bar of "pokerface"

Jesus Christ man i will check that out. on a related note i was listening to a beat my friend made and i said why did you remake Nelly and Kelly track dilemma that's a shit song. he said it's fucking streets of rage you cunt. i checked them both and they were identical lmao.
Yes, my name is the negative frequency of radioactive decay, of the initial speed of light's radius.
And on the eighth day God created Irony.
But on the ninth day Satan was all like, "Nuh uh!"
And ironically made Alanis Morrisette his minion.

schatzedefect

Postby schatzedefect » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:53 pm UTC

Not sure if someone else has said this yet, but thanks to this comic I can FINALLY air my random-sound-in-song grievance: in the song "Ocean Avenue" by Yellowcard, there are AIM 'message received' sounds during the chorus. No one else can hear them when I try to point them out, but I hear them clear as day and it used to drive me crazy.

meekrab

Postby meekrab » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:43 pm UTC

I worked at a movie theater for a few years, and for about a year and half, our fire alarm went off about once every two weeks, which is a huge pain in the ass at a movie theater, because you have to check every auditorium, get everyone out of the building, keep them outside (no matter what the weather is, and believe me idiots always ask 'oh boo hoo its cold can my kids/wife/grandmother wait in the lobby'), wait for the fire department, blah blah blah and then give everyone free passes on their way back in.

Fast forward a year or so, and on a busy Saturday night, my coworker brings in a techno cd to play in the cash room. Track 4 on this cd has a siren in the background that sounds EXACTLY like our fire alarm. :shock:

KestralTweet

Postby KestralTweet » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:32 pm UTC

In This Moment's "The Gun Show" has a portion where a backup singer comes in I turn around every time thinking it's someone.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”