0781: "Ahead Stop"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Xias

Re: "Ahead Stop" discussion (#781)

Postby Xias » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:33 pm UTC

Abecedarius wrote:"They actually started the reversed-text practice in 1973 -- not for ease-of-reading reasons, but because too many people were driving backward down the highway blasting the Star Wars opening theme."

Wait, they started the reversed-text because people were using it like the Star Wars intro? Wouldn't it be that they started it and then people started doing it?

Unless I'm just reading it wrong...

Yes, you're reading it wrong. The joke is that if text were not reversed, and the layout was top to bottom, you could imitate the star wars intro by driving in reverse over the text. It would appear that the messages are rising from the front of your car. So, they obviously implemented reverse-text to prevent it.

bcoblentz

Postby bcoblentz » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:27 am UTC

Yikes, this one's a real stinker.

typo

Postby typo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:47 am UTC

"Backwards words say to used I.
Again go I there.
Shit oh."

- George Carlin

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:50 pm UTC

The alt-text makes this comic.

I keep reading the writing on the highway as "ONLY LANE FAST" as we approach the tolls. At this point, it's not by mistake anymore; it's intentional because I'm stubborn and wish they had written it the other way.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

robhagopian

Postby robhagopian » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:48 pm UTC

It's called the MUTCD. Google it since I'm not allowed to post links yet.

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:40 pm UTC

Mithorium wrote:Arent the words usually spaced out far enough that you only see one line at a time, thereby making you read them in the correct order?
I would definately have my attention attracted to the STOP before the AHEAD in this case for example

Let's assume for a moment that the words can only be read in the order they arrive:
The first word is instructing you to "STOP" about 100ft (30m) from the intersection.

On "stop here" signs:
Where I live, traffic light controlled intersections have signs that read: "<- Signals stop line."
As others have mentioned, this is very useful when the stop line is covered by snow and ice.

Because I have poor depth perception, it also helps me gauge how far away an intersection is as well (light poles a spaced ~50M apart).
Did you get the number on that truck?

dllthomas

Postby dllthomas » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:53 am UTC

My personal favorite is "CLEAR KEEP", which is almost never spaced out enough to be read in the correct order (due to having to fit in the space they want us to keep clear), and which always makes me think of crystal castles or the like.

cout

Postby cout » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:44 am UTC

I'm always caught off guard whenever I see:

HUMP
SPEED

And by the time I realize this isn't a sexual reference I already have all four wheels in the air and am about to hit the ground.

cout

Postby cout » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:55 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:The one I'm most familiar with is:
LANE
ONE
FORM

THE HEAD
FORM
AND I'LL

beard

Postby beard » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:46 pm UTC

Ronfar wrote:
r3loaded wrote:Another trait of US road designers are using very wordy signs when a simple symbol would have done - the most infamous one in my mind is "Stop here on red". Seriously? Are drivers that dumb that they don't know they need to stop at a red light?

"Stop here on red" means "stop here where the sign is, instead of at the intersection itself (which is where you'd normally stop)."

In Finland this is accomplished simply by painting a white line across the lane. No words needed. The only text I've seen painted on lanes is speed reminders and BUS on bus lanes, both merely repeating overhead or roadside signs. Then again, any road markings will be covered under snow for 3 to 6 months of the year anyway, besides being ground down under studded tires, salt, sand, and snow removal equipment...

Our road signs also contain mostly pictograms, like the UK counterparts: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_signs_in_Finland

AsianBorat

Postby AsianBorat » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:10 am UTC

I got confused because I read this the normal way...

drbitboy

Postby drbitboy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:35 pm UTC

And can anyone tell me what a door with one of these
automatic_caution_door.jpg
automatic_caution_door.jpg (3.12 KiB) Viewed 2128 times

attached is supposed to be or do?

(oops, there's already a thread for this, and previous posts in this thread)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The bartender says "Hey, we don't serve tachyons in here!"
A tachyon walks into a bar.

That joke may not be funny on the road.

We should all be careful in this thread; I didn't find it but there's a comic about someone failing to talk clearly, acting superior when misunderstood, and suffering the consequences - I think it ends somethin like "I hope we learned something today."

Edit: added oops and stream of consciousness, and this. and this ...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”