0781: "Ahead Stop"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User? What User?
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Re: "Ahead Stop" discussion (#781)

Postby User? What User? » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:44 pm UTC

mheney wrote:Yep - Randall seems to have corrected the title text. is this a first for XKCD?

Decidedly not. There have been corrections to actual comic content before, too.

Also, contrary to Randall's (apparent) belief, simply stating a view that your readers are likely to share in graphic form is not the same thing as drawing a comic. It's not funny, and even if it were the 'humour' is derived purely from the reader thinking: "oh yeah, I've seen road signs, too, and dash it all if the text isn't written backward; therefore get out of my head Randall you comic genius." We should probably expect an 'airline food' comic soon.
Signature? What Signature?

jakster

Postby jakster » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:59 pm UTC

I've just arrived in the US and hired a car. It took me whole day to find out (someone told me) what the following sign meant and that it meant the same as the pictogram above it.

PED
XING

The written text are easy to understand as long as they don't use strange abbr. In all other countries this is done by some stripes on the road and the same pictogram above it and no text at all.

from canada

Postby from canada » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:05 pm UTC

User? What User? wrote:Decidedly not. There have been corrections to actual comic content before, too.

And sometimes he just doesn't give a fuck. It still says "BRILLANT" on 780.

But what else can you expect from a hypocritical, pedantic pseudo-pop-nerd

PTaine

Postby PTaine » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:10 pm UTC

Ogdan Nash took on this subject in "I'll Take the High Road Commission", the final lines of which are:

CROSS
CHILDREN
WALK

;

CHEERFUL
CHILDREN
RIDE

qzex

Postby qzex » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:24 pm UTC

For the Star Wars thing, the text would still be backwards if you drove backwards, as driving backwards would force you to read the lines forwards-to-backwards. A Yoda reference within the intro reference?

from canada

Postby from canada » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:37 pm UTC

qzex wrote:For the Star Wars thing, the text would still be backwards if you drove backwards, as driving backwards would force you to read the lines forwards-to-backwards. A Yoda reference within the intro reference?

NO!

1. Yoda does not talk backwards you fucking retards

2.The intro reference was meant to be if the text was arranged as so:
HIGHWAY
ENGINEERS
THINK
I READ
BACKWARD.

and the "joke" was it was changed (in either '73 or '77), so people would stop pretending to do the intro thing with their cars.

bytbox

Postby bytbox » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:39 pm UTC

uncivlengr wrote:
r3loaded wrote:Another trait of US road designers are using very wordy signs when a simple symbol would have done - the most infamous one in my mind is "Stop here on red". Seriously? Are drivers that dumb that they don't know they need to stop at a red light?
I have noticed the excessive use of textual signs while travelling in the US as well - overhead signs will have simple arrow signs indicating the direction in which the lane turns, but there will also be another sign with "Left turning lane only" with it, seemingly to reinforce the concept for anyone who understands english but not arrows.

You haven't been in the US long enough, then. Without an explicit "must" or "only", certain drivers who are "in a rush" (DOUGHNUTS! THIS IS AN EMERGENCY! MUST HAVE DOUGHNUTS!) will interpret practically any traffic sign as a suggestion. I imagine that at some point, someone (or ones) got away with this in traffic court, hence the common explicit "must".

As for the "stop here on red" - that's from people pulling up too far and interfering with pedestrians (generally). It's the "here" that's important.

jqavins

Postby jqavins » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:49 pm UTC

pfloriani wrote:Burma Shave
Dang! If I didn't have to get up early for work you couldn't have beat mt to this. (Out of bed by 8:00; barbaric!) Honestly, I was expecting to see just these two little words as the alt-text.
-- Joe
"[Some people don't believe in coincidence, but] I believe in coincidence. Coincidences happen every day. I just don't trust coincidence."
Elim Garak

jqavins

Postby jqavins » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

bytbox wrote:
uncivlengr wrote:
r3loaded wrote:Another trait of US road designers are using very wordy signs when a simple symbol would have done - the most infamous one in my mind is "Stop here on red". Seriously? Are drivers that dumb that they don't know they need to stop at a red light?
As for the "stop here on red" - that's from people pulling up too far and interfering with pedestrians (generally). It's the "here" that's important.
And, you'll see it (somewhat) less in the southern states. There's a line painted across the lane to indicate the "here" part, but it might be snow covered for a significant portion of the year. It's the same with "No Passing" and "Pass With Care" signes; sometimes the yellow lines are covered with snow.
-- Joe
"[Some people don't believe in coincidence, but] I believe in coincidence. Coincidences happen every day. I just don't trust coincidence."
Elim Garak

marsman57

Postby marsman57 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

You can see my interpretation of this comic at http://www.tehposse.org/brandon/mkcd/

qzex

Postby qzex » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:10 pm UTC

from canada wrote:
qzex wrote:For the Star Wars thing, the text would still be backwards if you drove backwards, as driving backwards would force you to read the lines forwards-to-backwards. A Yoda reference within the intro reference?

NO!

1. Yoda does not talk backwards you fucking retards

2.The intro reference was meant to be if the text was arranged as so:
HIGHWAY
ENGINEERS
THINK
I READ
BACKWARD.

and the "joke" was it was changed (in either '73 or '77), so people would stop pretending to do the intro thing with their cars.

Ah, I see. My punishment for reading too fast *facepalm*

OCEAT

Postby OCEAT » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:15 pm UTC

At first I thought the sentence was "I think highway engineers read backward", which was really stupid. Then I got it. Now it's kinda funny.
GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Say "ocean".
Look at my name.
Tee-hee.

snowyowl

Postby snowyowl » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:27 pm UTC

Burma-Shave
To decode
Takes me too long
On the road
Backwards writing

Burma-Shave
From Star Wars
Playing the theme
Randall adores
When in reverse
The preceding comment is an automated response.

Alathrk

Postby Alathrk » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:29 pm UTC

It might be because I just woke up, but the idea of someone driving slowly backwards down the road, blasting the Star Wars theme, really got me chuckling. So much so that I didn't even notice the error with the year until I came here.

TheSoberPirate

Postby TheSoberPirate » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:47 pm UTC

gerv wrote:In the UK, our road signs are also awesome pieces of standardised design:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_signs ... DesignGerv

People who live in the UK are so lucky to have simple pictographic road signs.

Spoiler:
car motor.jpg
car motor.jpg (38.64 KiB) Viewed 5461 times

Of course, they're apparently cursed with motorcyclists who feel the need to constantly launch themselves over your car. So maybe it's a wash.
Last edited by TheSoberPirate on Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

monicaclaire
Location: Where you will never get to me. Sometimes, but not all the time, on P3X-774.

Postby monicaclaire » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:52 pm UTC

Not really having to deal with the theme of this comic but on the same subject;

The other day I was driving on the highway and saw an electronic sign flash:

WARNING
ROAD WORK
AHEAD

then it flashed:

EXPECT
LIGHT
DELAYS

and all I could think of, at first, was; are we to be driving through a denser medium? :lol:

HermanBlount

Postby HermanBlount » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:02 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:"Every time someone designs something idiot proof, Nature makes a better idiot."

-written on the chalkboard my first day of class for civil engineering.

So, the first thing they teach civil engineers is a superiority complex? Or is that simply a prerequisite?
It's AFTER the end of the world. Don't you know that yet?

nizzle

Postby nizzle » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:04 pm UTC

... maybe because over here, we don't write stuff on the road, but I don't get it... :?

"Highway Engineers Think I read backwards."

that's not funny, so I misread it.

Is it : "Backwars. I read think Engineers Highway"?

I can't stop repeating this in my head... help me out here...

dp2

Postby dp2 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:11 pm UTC

I never thought I'd see the day when Americans are called stupid for using too many words and not enough pictures.

littlelj

Postby littlelj » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:45 pm UTC

Karilyn wrote:
littlelj wrote:Those from the US who haven't yet read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_signs ... ed_Kingdom as linked earlier might like a quick peruse.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say those signs look ridiculously overcomplicated compared to US signs.

But hey, here's a list of all the signs we use in the US: http://www.trafficsign.us/

bytbox wrote:You haven't been in the US long enough, then. Without an explicit "must" or "only", certain drivers who are "in a rush" (DOUGHNUTS! THIS IS AN EMERGENCY! MUST HAVE DOUGHNUTS!) will interpret practically any traffic sign as a suggestion. I imagine that at some point, someone (or ones) got away with this in traffic court, hence the common explicit "must".

In the UK you know whether it's a "must" or a "don't if you value your life / licence" or "you might like to try" by what (shape and) colour it is. So a picture of a motorbike in a circle means "only motorbikes" or "no motorbikes", depending on whether it's blue or red.

There are very few that don't immediately make sense to an experienced driver, even if they've not seen the sign before.

Mind you, our roads are pretty narrow so maybe we just don't have space to paint on them.

dp2 wrote:I never thought I'd see the day when Americans are called stupid for using too many words and not enough pictures.

We're not criticising you, we're criticising your government... :D
Dudes, I'm a woman.

finlay

Postby finlay » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:50 pm UTC

r3loaded wrote:First time on XKCD here, and I'd like to point out that this is a curious US habit, rather than one of road engineers in general. In the UK, they're always written the correct way around, so it's "BUS STOP" and not "STOP BUS". The only problems arise in Wales and the Scottish Highlands, where they like to put the Welsh/Gaelic translation above the English. :roll:

Another trait of US road designers are using very wordy signs when a simple symbol would have done - the most infamous one in my mind is "Stop here on red". Seriously? Are drivers that dumb that they don't know they need to stop at a red light? Then there's the tautological "Left lane must turn left" - which we accomplish using a simple arrow :)
I could go on tbh - highway signs not aligned with lanes, stop signs at just about every junction even when they're completely unnecessary...

But the UK's version of that is even wordier!
Granted, it's a temporary one, but still.

And yes, I've never seen this either. I was wondering WTF he was talking about and whether this was actually standard practice in the US – because it seems a bit odd to me. The other one is the abbreviation XING, which we never use.

Patteroast

Postby Patteroast » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:57 pm UTC

Having seen 'AHEAD STOP' and 'STOP BUS' and even 'YOU THANK' at some fast food places, I thought this was quite funny. And definitely a 'get out of my head!' moment.

Karilyn

Postby Karilyn » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:12 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:I never thought I'd see the day when Americans are called stupid for using too many words and not enough pictures.

TL;DR: It's currently fashionable to mock America. Doesn't matter if it's contradictory or not.

I dislike pop culture so meh, I don't partake in such trivial "America Sucks" style humor. I suspect these same people are the reason that I can't seem to escape meaningless news stories about Lindsey Lohan, Paris Hilton, or whoever the pop-culture person of the week is.

littlelj wrote:
Karilyn wrote:
littlelj wrote:Those from the US who haven't yet read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_signs ... ed_Kingdom as linked earlier might like a quick peruse.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say those signs look ridiculously overcomplicated compared to US signs.

But hey, here's a list of all the signs we use in the US: http://www.trafficsign.us/

bytbox wrote:In the UK you know whether it's a "must" or a "don't if you value your life / licence" or "you might like to try" by what (shape and) colour it is. So a picture of a motorbike in a circle means "only motorbikes" or "no motorbikes", depending on whether it's blue or red.

We do too, for the most part.

Red = Danger
Yellow = Caution
White = Descriptive information which is "relatively" unimportant.
Green = Names of places/locations/etc
Blue = Names of important places/locations/etc (such as hospitals, airports, police stations, fire stations, government buildings)

More or less
Gelsamel wrote:If you punch him in the face repeatedly then it's science.

John Horton

Postby John Horton » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:38 pm UTC

Not really on topic, but in my town (American, thus we drive on the right side of the road), there are several left-turn-on-red intersections. The lights are timed with precedence to the street one would turn on, so it takes only one out of towner to block up traffic for a mile.

Which is almost as bad as the 93S/95N/128E mashup on the same piece of pavement south of Boston.

Griffin

Postby Griffin » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:44 pm UTC

I was always under the impression have signs up in addition to lines on the road was for areas where it snows regularly (and thus lines on the road are obscured).

Honestly, if its dark and raining I STILL can't usually see road lines, so signs are much preferable since snowing and raining are both common enough where I live (NE US)

But other than the "Stop Here on Red" signs, which i've seen a few of at weird interesections, most permanent road signs I've sign are pictoral. I think those wordy signs only really get put up in areas where, for whatever reason, people are not responding to the more standard communications.
Bdthemag: "I don't always GM, but when I do I prefer to put my player's in situations that include pain and torture. Stay creative my friends."

Bayobeasts - the Pokemon: Orthoclase project.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:44 pm UTC

Mr. Burke wrote:From his comics I gather that Randall is a weed-smoking hippie who doesn't own a car and has only passing knowledge of operating one. This would explain his unrealistic depictions of anything related to cars (see also Monday's comic).

It has nothing to do with weed: it's just that CARS ARE NOT COMPUTERS, and therefore NOT COOL.

Mr. Burke wrote:For everything else, there's the weed.

... true.

JustMe

Postby JustMe » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:50 pm UTC

A related peeve: Am I the only one that reads "Automatic CAUTION Doors" at every store entrance?
Sucks to be a compulsive reader - I haven't managed to ignore it yet.

IOT, I'm so using this when I teach transportation engineering in the spring!
I have traveled from 1963 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

SEE

Postby SEE » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:13 pm UTC

tjunction wrote:So when you're used to all that, it makes it really hard as a tourist in New York or wherever to figure out what a "LANE FIRE" is, or why on earth anyone would think that was better than writing "FIRE LANE", if indeed such a lane designation is necessary.

Such a lane designation means "If you park here, you're in deep shit, bucko, because this lane is supposed to be kept open so fire trucks can get close to the buildings next to the road in case of fire. The fine is bigger than it is for other types of illegal parking."

Sasha S

Postby Sasha S » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:40 pm UTC

A Star Wars reference ... phrases with elements rearranged.

Surely there is a Yoda connection here somewhere. Perhaps Master Yoda the Highway Department runs.

-Sasha

Xias

Postby Xias » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:54 pm UTC

Sheesh, all the engineer bashing.

Sure, if you are the only one on the road, it's easy to read the text top to bottom, and the reversed text is unnecessary. However, when there's any kind of dense traffic and there's another vehicle within a few car lengths ahead of you, you will see the words drop one at a time out from under the other vehicle.

It's not engineers thinking people can't read fast. It's not engineers thinking they came up with something efficient without taking real human thought processes into consideration. It's engineers realizing that hey, sometimes you're not the only car on the road, and other cars might block the first words from view.

That's the same reasoning behind text based signs saying "Left lane must turn left" or "Right lane must turn right". What if there's a traffic jam and you can't see the arrow on the road? What if you don't want to turn left and you don't know it's a dedicated turn lane, but there's a couple cars stopped at the light that are blocking the arrow? These signs are there to guarantee that if you are in the lane, you will understand what the lane is for, and be able to change lanes safely before reaching the end of the lane. Again, it's a matter of engineers taking into account new drivers, unfamiliar drivers, and traffic all at the same time. If there was a sign with just a left arrow on it, that might be confusing since that generally means "the entire road turns left".

Soultaker~

Postby Soultaker~ » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:24 pm UTC

Xias wrote:Sheesh, all the engineer bashing.

It's just questioning the effectiveness of a common practice. How is that "engineer bashing"?

Sure, if you are the only one on the road, it's easy to read the text top to bottom, and the reversed text is unnecessary. However, when there's any kind of dense traffic and there's another vehicle within a few car lengths ahead of you, you will see the words drop one at a time out from under the other vehicle.

The point is that if you can see the whole text at once, reversing the lines is not just "unnecessary", but it's actually very confusing, because the majority of people will attempt to read the text top to bottom. The reverse order might be easier to read if you can't see the whole thing at once, but it's confusing when you can. The normal order is more intuitive to read when you can view it as a whole, but harder to read if you can only see it partly. That's a trade-off.

Now the question is whether the right decision was made to write text in reverse order. It does frequently confuse people. And I'd argue that if the road is so full that you can't see a little ahead, you probably have to slow down a lot anyway, and the message on the road might not be so important.

asliceofpi

Postby asliceofpi » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:27 pm UTC

Xias wrote:It's not engineers thinking people can't read fast. It's not engineers thinking they came up with something efficient without taking real human thought processes into consideration. It's engineers realizing that hey, sometimes you're not the only car on the road, and other cars might block the first words from view.

But we're talking about words that are 3', maybe 4' tall. (I have bad perspective and therefore no idea how tall they really are.) If you're following a car in bad traffic, you're typically about one car length behind (about 15') when you're moving and about 1-2' behind when stopped. So you're either going to have plenty of space to see the complete message at once, or you won't be able to see it at all.

Also, most of the places where I see the "AHEAD STOP" message are on roads where you've been going at a steady pace for a while and need something to indicate that they cannot continue that pace. On roads like that, you're typically not seeing a lot of traffic; otherwise, the stop would be really obvious based on the cars in front of you. Similarly, pedestrian crossings show up most frequently in neighborhoods, which aren't terribly busy in terms of car traffic.

The intent is sensible. But then there's reality. ;)

fibonacci

Postby fibonacci » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:30 pm UTC

monicaclaire wrote:then it flashed:

EXPECT
LIGHT
DELAYS

and all I could think of, at first, was; are we to be driving through a denser medium? :lol:

But first you must find a bulb that emits broken light.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:31 pm UTC

Reminds me of this one.

http://www.xkcd.com/745/
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

unus vox

Postby unus vox » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:36 pm UTC

User? What User? wrote:Also, contrary to Randall's (apparent) belief, simply stating a view that your readers are likely to share in graphic form is not the same thing as drawing a comic. It's not funny, and even if it were the 'humour' is derived purely from the reader thinking: "oh yeah, I've seen road signs, too, and dash it all if the text isn't written backward; therefore get out of my head Randall you comic genius." We should probably expect an 'airline food' comic soon.

Out of curiosity, what is your definition of a comic? It sure looks and smells like a comic to me. I mean, it has some boxes and some drawings and some text. If this isn't the strip of a comic, there must be a whole bunch of other who-knows-what that I've been reading all these years. Or do you mean that for something to be considered a comic, it must be inherently humorous? If that's the case, I'm interested in your definition of humor. Personally, I'm not convinced that all humor needs to be derived from irony, tragedy, wordplay, or whatever joking format you find preferable. In many cases, people find humor in a shared experience brought to light. This is how some of the most popular comedians made a living (George Carlin comes to mind). You need not find any humor in it if that's not for you, but I wouldn't go around saying it doesn't qualify as a comic or humorous because it didn't appeal to you. Unless you're working under that age-old assumption of "everything I say is obviously my opinion so you can't prove me wrong," in which case I shouldn't bother responding.
Spoiler:

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:43 pm UTC

Xias wrote:It's not engineers thinking people can't read fast. It's not engineers thinking they came up with something efficient without taking real human thought processes into consideration. It's engineers realizing that hey, sometimes you're not the only car on the road, and other cars might block the first words from view.

It doesn't matter anyway: if you just stuck to writing the words in the "correct" order, Randall would still make an obnoxious, patronising comic complaining about it and his readers would agree and go "GET OUT OF MY HEAD" like never before. It's the need to feel superior.

chrth

Postby chrth » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:54 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:It's the need to feel superior.

Unlike the need to come into a forum for a comic and spend most of your time bashing said comic?

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:59 pm UTC

HermanBlount wrote:
eran_rathan wrote:"Every time someone designs something idiot proof, Nature makes a better idiot."

-written on the chalkboard my first day of class for civil engineering.

So, the first thing they teach civil engineers is a superiority complex? Or is that simply a prerequisite?

Or, you know, it is a useful piece of advice.

Hans

Postby Hans » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:22 pm UTC

That's not backwards, that's Reverse Polish Notation on the road.
Don't look or you'll collapse my wave function!

unus vox

Postby unus vox » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:24 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:It doesn't matter anyway: if you just stuck to writing the words in the "correct" order, Randall would still make an obnoxious, patronising comic complaining about it and his readers would agree and go "GET OUT OF MY HEAD" like never before. It's the need to feel superior.

And, in an equal need to feel superior, people who didn't like the comic would still proclaim their dissenting opinion in a smug and degrading way, claiming that said comic's creator and fans are somehow inferior due differences in senses of humor.
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”