0782: "Desecration"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

0782: "Desecration"

Postby LucasBrown » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:01 am UTC

Alt text: "It gets worse! You know that wizened old monk with the gypsy wife whose voodoo shop we smash up every every day after school?"

Oh, God...
Flashbacks of a movie I don't remember the name of. (Edit: it's Poltergeist. Thanks, wandersoulz.)
MIxed with a vignette from Dandelion Wine (by Ray Bradbury).
Last edited by LucasBrown on Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:20 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
You are hereby warned that I occasionally make liberal use of the edit button in the few minutes immediately following the submission of my posts.
LucasBrown

Re: "Desecration" discussion (#782)

Postby Duo Nox Sol » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:03 am UTC

I second your ability of not being able to remember the title of this movie that so eludes perception. Midnight is too long for a tired mind. First plox? Just kidding. Maybe.
"Because "atheism" is a entirely better description of the universe, only theists feel superior. Hard as it is for theists to admit, we atheists actually don't have to feel superior, we simply are so."
Duo Nox Sol

Postby scottyb » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:05 am UTC

Wait - Rob? Someone in-panel being addressed by name!? Is this a first for non-celebrities on xkcd?
scottyb

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:08 am UTC

What is this I don't even?
ImagePlay the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

GAZEBO OINTMENT HARPSICHORD CREDENZA BUNGALOW
Eternal Density

Postby Mazuku » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:09 am UTC

No... REALLY??
Allmächtige Exzentrikerin3

Mazuku

Postby eaglef2 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:15 am UTC

Why does the alt-text say "every every?"
"I am a four hundred-foot tall purple Platypus Bear with pink horns and silver wings."
-Azula, Avatar: The Last Airbender.
eaglef2

Postby from canada » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:18 am UTC

So the last three comics all contained typing/spelling/factual errors... Randall just doesn't even care anymore

not to mention this comic screams 11:55 deadline buster
from canada

Postby wandersoulz » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:23 am UTC

poltergeist
wandersoulz

Postby helo darqness » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:32 am UTC

i always assumed his name was gary
helo darqness

Postby squareroot » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:34 am UTC

Vote up. :D

{{subst:Insight|<PAGENAME>}}
<signature content="" style="tag:html;" overused meta />
squareroot

Postby sugarhyped » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:34 am UTC

wandersoulz wrote:poltergeist

yep googled
rob indian burial ground curse movie
and it comes up first.

from canada wrote:So the last three comics all contained typing/spelling/factual errors... Randall just doesn't even care anymore

not to mention this comic screams 11:55 deadline buster

I liked the comic despite that. But yeah he should check spelling/grammar for the comic.

I'm going to keep editing stuff in. I don't care if my grammar is good, his is supposed to be professional-ish.

again, I smiled at the comic so...
Really people should just assume life is a horror movie.
Last edited by sugarhyped on Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.
sugarhyped

Postby from canada » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:36 am UTC

scottyb wrote:Wait - Rob? Someone in-panel being addressed by name!? Is this a first for non-celebrities on xkcd?

I swear to god, you people get more retarded with every comic...

http://xkcd.com/746/
http://xkcd.com/672/
http://xkcd.com/631/
Last edited by from canada on Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:40 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
from canada

Postby westrim » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:39 am UTC

scottyb wrote:Wait - Rob? Someone in-panel being addressed by name!? Is this a first for non-celebrities on xkcd?

No. Very no.

from canada wrote:

I swear to god, you people get more retarded with every comic...

http://xkcd.com/746/
http://xkcd.com/672/
http://xkcd.com/631/

*peers closer* What do you mean you people?
Last edited by westrim on Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:42 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
westrim

Postby from canada » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:42 am UTC

westrim wrote:*peers closer* What do you mean you people?

blacks, hispanics, italians, jews, mexicans...you know sub-people
from canada

Postby Piogre » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:43 am UTC

Wow, Anecdote time.

Recently our school demolished the old gym due to failure of earthquake safety measures. They intended to build a new one in its place, but the workers found Indian bones on the site and it took months of extra legal work to build the new one because the Native American community claimed it was an ancient burial ground. They had no prior evidence, even written, so it was overturned, but for a while it looked like the school wouldn't have a gym anymore. (I personally wouldn't have minded)
Piogre

Postby ysth » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:44 am UTC

I only read this forum for the cultural references.
A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |
ysth

Postby glasnt » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:45 am UTC

New people don't get cannon, it's ok. They just need some sense beaten into them..

.. wait? What do you mean they'll get hurt and start weeping red stuff out of them if we hit them too hard? YOU MEAN THEY BLEED?!
glasnt

Postby bcoblentz » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:47 am UTC

Heh, amusing, but after going through all the old comics and noticing that heads are often completely detached from their possessors' bodies, the last panel really bugs the crap out of me.
bcoblentz

Postby Sasha S » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:55 am UTC

glasnt wrote:New people don't get cannon, it's ok. They just need some sense beaten into them..

.. wait? What do you mean they'll get hurt and start weeping red stuff out of them if we hit them too hard? YOU MEAN THEY BLEED?!

New people don't get cannon.

New people get lash.

Old people get cannon.

No powder, though.

-Sasha
Last edited by Sasha S on Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:59 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Sasha S

Postby theta4 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:55 am UTC

I truly do not get this joke. They desecrated something, and they should have known better. This is supposed to be a joke?

Either I'm retarded and missing something really important or Randall's sense of humor's gotten a lot worse.
GENERATION -i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.
PREVIOUS GENERATION: 1-i
theta4

Postby DVC » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:56 am UTC

bcoblentz wrote:Heh, amusing, but after going through all the old comics and noticing that heads are often completely detached from their possessors' bodies, the last panel really bugs the crap out of me.

Thanks a lot.

theta4 wrote:I truly do not get this joke. They desecrated something, and they should have known better. This is supposed to be a joke?

Either I'm retarded and missing something really important or Randall's sense of humor's gotten a lot worse.

The point is that it is so obvious. Like, how could you make a film with that as the premise? It's like so like dumb. Like totally. Like.
Last edited by DVC on Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
DVC

Postby DVC » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:58 am UTC

DVC

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:03 am UTC

Gypsies?! The term is Romani. Someone is asking for a curse! In the form of an angry letter, of course. Most of the materials for cursing were used up when Aaron Seltzer and Jason Friedberg made a deal for their careers.
CorruptUser

Postby Sasha S » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:07 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Gypsies?! The term is Romani. Someone is asking for a curse!

Possibly you, since not all gypsies are 'Romani'. Beware the Irish Travellers!

-Sasha
Sasha S

Postby Nintendon't » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:29 am UTC

from canada wrote:
westrim wrote:*peers closer* What do you mean you people?

blacks, hispanics, italians, jews, mexicans...you know sub-people

Get the fuck out of my country.
Nintendon't

Postby AirIK » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:54 am UTC

"So the last three comics all contained typing/spelling/factual errors... Randall just doesn't even care anymore."

I think that there's a possibility of all the errors being intentional. Maybe they're a riddle or something to that effect.
AirIK

Postby DragonHawk » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:06 am UTC

OMGWTF this comic sucks, there's a typo, xkcd is going downhill, this isn't funny, I don't get it, it's too obscure, it's too obvious, and the borders of the panels are too thick.

(Did I miss anything?)
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.
DragonHawk

Postby Yuri797 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:37 am UTC

I would be more worried about dealing with NAGPRA. But you wouldn't know about that because you're a scientist and us anthropologists aren't. *Forever holds a grudge over One Two*
Yuri797

Postby Murder she » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:37 am UTC

This sort of reminds me of Stephen King's Pet Sematary. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it yet.
Murder she

Postby Minthulf » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:43 am UTC

Hahahahahahaha! Kind of terrible and wonderful. Beautifuly captures the idiocy behind so many horror films and has a pleasant lightheartedness.
Nonetheless the desecration aspect makes me cringe somewhat.
Minthulf

Postby Chrisfs » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:52 am UTC

eaglef2 wrote:Why does the alt-text say "every every?"

Every every is a slang way of saying 'literally every day'. He is writing as people would be speaking.
Chrisfs

Postby bcoblentz » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:03 am UTC

AirIK wrote:
"So the last three comics all contained typing/spelling/factual errors... Randall just doesn't even care anymore."

I think that there's a possibility of all the errors being intentional. Maybe they're a riddle or something to that effect.

"What do you call a webcomic author who, judging by the frivolous things that annoy him in everyday life, is quite meticulous, does not proofread his own comics before posting them?"
bcoblentz

Postby InflatableSoulmate » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:25 am UTC

I thoroughly enjoyed this comic. Actually, I've thoroughly enjoyed the last several. I don't really understand what inspires people to come here and pick at every little thing, especially when they post in every 'Individual Comic Thread' that they thought the comic sucked. I think if I wasn't enjoying the comics, I would just stop checking the site.

As for grammar/spelling errors, do you do anything at all where your spelling or grammar actually translate to lost money when you make an error? I do, and I still make mistakes. No matter how many times you read over something, you are the one who wrote it to begin with, so you'll have a tendency to not catch the errors. The only way I can really feel sure that I've done something right is to walk away from it for a while to focus on something else before reading it again, then I pass what I consider to be the 'finished product' off to someone else so that a fresh set of eyes can have a look. Even then, typos make it through, and eventually get printed on t-shirts (fail :( ), even though I've proofed my own work, another person has shot the work to a screen, yet another person has printed the shirts, and maybe even one more person has boxed them. Errors can make it through all of those people only to be finally caught by the customer. So, a few minor errors that don't in the slightest way affect how you understand the comic don't warrant any discussion other than your need to feel like you're better than the author for catching them.
InflatableSoulmate

Postby jozwa » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:35 am UTC

Nah, this strip was okay. Though somehow seems rushed, but maybe it's just the alt text which is kinda... meh.
jozwa

Postby bcoblentz » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:38 am UTC

I am actually not too bothered by the mistakes on their own, but in the context of Randall being kind of nitpicky (there are a lot of comics that play on this little quirk, if you haven't noticed) they are inexcusable. And it is just dumb as hell when people say "Nono he does it ON PURPOSE, we just can't figure out why because we aren't as clever".
bcoblentz

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:52 am UTC

So mocking horror films with hyperbole is funny today, is that what's going on? Meh.
ImagePlay the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

GAZEBO OINTMENT HARPSICHORD CREDENZA BUNGALOW
Eternal Density

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:59 am UTC

I thought this was one of the funnier ones, actually. I also get the impression that it presents a better plot than Piranha 3D will have.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.
Plasma Man

Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:37 am UTC

bcoblentz wrote:
AirIK wrote:

"What do you call a webcomic author who, judging by the frivolous things that annoy him in everyday life, is quite meticulous, does not proofread his own comics before posting them?"

[decrypts recent typos with his magic decoder ring]

..."Remember to drink your Ovaltine"? That doesn't even make sense as an answer to your question!

Oh wait sorry, wrong decoder ring. It was [decrypts some more] "They're hurting us. Get me out." That makes even less sense!
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)
Pfhorrest

Postby Almgren » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:46 am UTC

canada brought up some examples, but I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this yet:

http://www.xkcd.com/716/

One would think that "Rob" might have learned a lesson from having to beat himself to death once before.
Almgren

Postby Michael of Lucan » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:05 am UTC

Sasha S wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:Gypsies?! The term is Romani. Someone is asking for a curse!

Possibly you, since not all gypsies are 'Romani'. Beware the Irish Travellers!

-Sasha

The Irish travellers are not what used to be called gypsies, although both groups are nomadic and there has been occasional intermarriage over the years. Travellers have an Irish background, although they are officially recognised by the irish government as a separate community group.
Michael of Lucan

Next

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads