0787: "Orbiter"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

0787: "Orbiter"

Postby Jourdy289 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:00 am UTC

Alt text="Normally, the Shuttle can't quite safely reach the orbital inclination required to pass over both those points from a Canaveral launch, but this is an alternate history in which either it launches from Vandenburg or everyone hates the Outer Banks."
Last edited by Jourdy289 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Cut your clothes to fit your body, and not the other way around!
http://thestuffiread.blogspot.com -Book Blog http://www.travian.co.uk/?uc=uk5_48953 -Want to play Travian? Sign up here!
Jourdy289

"Orbiter" discussion (#787)

Postby LucasBrown » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:00 am UTC

Alt text: "Normally, the Shuttle can't quite safely reach the orbital inclination required to pass over both those points from a Canaveral launch, but this is an alternate history in which either it launches from Vandenburg or everyone hates the Outer Banks."

PC: overused and misapplied to the point of pointlessness.
Last edited by LucasBrown on Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
You are hereby warned that I occasionally make liberal use of the edit button in the few minutes immediately following the submission of my posts.
LucasBrown

Re: "Orbiter" discussion

Postby LucasBrown » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:01 am UTC

*AHEM*

You are blatantly cheating and I am reporting your post.

NO PLACEHOLDERS!
You are hereby warned that I occasionally make liberal use of the edit button in the few minutes immediately following the submission of my posts.
LucasBrown

Re: "Orbiter" discussion (#787)

Postby Fat Tony » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:02 am UTC

I disagree. If you look for the punchline in the first frame, then yeah, you're right, but I think the comic as a whole is hilarious.
Edit: Woops - I thought you meant that Basic Human Decency was overused as a comedy theme. Disregard my initial statement.
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.
Fat Tony

Postby Jourdy289 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:03 am UTC

*COUGH* Sorry, didn't know that rule :oops:
Cut your clothes to fit your body, and not the other way around!
http://thestuffiread.blogspot.com -Book Blog http://www.travian.co.uk/?uc=uk5_48953 -Want to play Travian? Sign up here!
Jourdy289

Postby LucasBrown » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:03 am UTC

That's what the rules thread is for... it's this forum's only stickied thread.
LucasBrown

Postby Aceilooprrtv » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:07 am UTC

a) Thanks, Randall, for some good comic.
b) Posting here because it seems strange that this, the correct thread has fewer posts than the illegal one. Just doing my part, folks.
Aceilooprrtv

Postby RogueCynic » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:09 am UTC

Great comic. I'd say why I liked it but it's late and I'm tired. Randall has posted a few NASA related comics lately. Do you think he misses his old job?
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?
RogueCynic

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:14 am UTC

We'll free Oklahoma from the oppressors one day.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title
EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby 1is0 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:15 am UTC

The middle east conflict is good money: One semi-jewish cat has an interesting relevant buisness venture but not all viewers agree as to it`s legitimacy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIU7BgIINT8
1is0

Postby Almost in register » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:19 am UTC

I've lived in Texas all my life, and for the record I've never heard of anyone here wanting anything to do with Oklahoma in an it-should-be-ours sense. In fact, I've always heard it asked, why doesn't Texas fall into the Gulf of Mexico? Because Oklahoma sucks.

Comic was funny though.
Last edited by Almost in register on Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Almost in register

Postby The Milkman » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:21 am UTC

Oh my god...
I've had it...

GOOMHR! I'm in Israel right now and had a chat with a construction worker from here about the conflict.
Do you love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic? Did you wish that you had a place to talk about your love? Then join #xkcd-ponies! You won't be sorry.
The Milkman

Postby eleniy86 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:52 am UTC

RogueCynic wrote:Great comic. I'd say why I liked it but it's late and I'm tired. Randall has posted a few NASA related comics lately. Do you think he misses his old job?

i think he does
"Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things." -Randy Pausch
eleniy86

Postby scarecrovv » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:10 am UTC

xkcd wrote:Normally, the Shuttle can't quite safely reach the orbital inclination required to pass over both those points from a Canaveral launch, but this is an alternate history in which either it launches from Vandenburg or everyone hates the Outer Banks.

I'm 99% certain that this statement is wrong. As you orbit around the earth, it rotates underneath you, so you wind up flying over (in a low orbit, and for sufficiently loose values of over) every point within a certain distance of the equator that depends on your inclination. As long as you stay up for 24 hours of course. Unless he means passing over both these points in a single orbit period, in which case it's plausible, but I don't have a globe here.

That aside though, I liked the comic. Good one.
scarecrovv
It's pronounced 'double u'

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:47 am UTC

I'm mildly amused for a change.
ImagePlay the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier

GAZEBO OINTMENT HARPSICHORD CREDENZA BUNGALOW
Eternal Density

Postby mrpippy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:06 am UTC

Found a typo: it's Vandenberg AFB, not Vandenburg. Do I win anything :lol:

Anyway I went to UCSB and regularly watched Vandenberg launches from the cliffs of Isla Vista.
I regularly dream about an alternate future where Challenger never happened, the Shuttle actually became the space delivery truck it was envisioned as...and I could have watched Vandenberg Shuttle launches from 40 miles away in my backyard :cry:
mrpippy

Postby drahcir » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:08 am UTC

scarecrovv wrote:
xkcd wrote:Normally, the Shuttle can't quite safely reach the orbital inclination required to pass over both those points from a Canaveral launch, but this is an alternate history in which either it launches from Vandenburg or everyone hates the Outer Banks.

I'm 99% certain that this statement is wrong. As you orbit around the earth, it rotates underneath you, so you wind up flying over (in a low orbit, and for sufficiently loose values of over) every point within a certain distance of the equator that depends on your inclination. As long as you stay up for 24 hours of course. Unless he means passing over both these points in a single orbit period, in which case it's plausible, but I don't have a globe here.

No he is right, launching from cape Canaveral gives you an east west orbit, unless you do an orbit inclination burn, you are stuck at a 28.4 degree orbit, which doesnt pass through both points. If you launch from Vandenburg then you get a North South orbit and in that case yes you can pass through both points at some point in your orbit.
drahcir

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:13 am UTC

You mean the Levant!

But in all seriousness, an online topic with a mention of Israel and it hasn't decayed into a flamewar in over an hour? I'm impressed.

*cough*Canaan!*cough*
CorruptUser

Postby RamblingPants » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:14 am UTC

Hey, guys? What happened the last time Randall posted coordinates?

Of course, there's no time or date here. So everyone should show up in Seminole, OK!
Or Palestine.
At some point.
Yeah.
RamblingPants

Postby aleflamedyud » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:16 am UTC

There's always one of those douchebags willing to insist that anywhere you pick on the bloody globe has some kind of injustice drenching it irrevocably in blood. And now we can call him Frank. lulzy
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."
aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby TheStormRanger » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:24 am UTC

I take offense to this comic. Texans aren't good enough to oppress us Oklahomans.

Almost in register wrote:I've lived in Texas all my life, and for the record I've never heard of anyone here wanting anything to do with Oklahoma in an it-should-be-ours sense. In fact, I've always heard it asked, why doesn't Texas fall into the Gulf of Mexico? Because Oklahoma sucks.

Comic was funny though.

Oklahoma's south winds come because Texas blows and Kansas sucks. On the contrary, we get our north winds because Texas sucks and Kansas blows.

:lol:
TheStormRanger

Postby SW15243 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:33 am UTC

Whenever I hear anything about Oklahoma I'm reminded of a standup routine by a guy named Anthony Clark from awhile back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hODiNmWr5Gw
SW15243

Postby r3loaded » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:36 am UTC

The waters south of Iceland? You mean the occupied British cod-fishing territory? :D :P
r3loaded

Postby Dr Zoidberg » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:36 am UTC

Orbiter is passing over

Jordan, or don't you mean Israel?
Lebanon, or don't you mean Israel?
Syria, or don't you mean Israel?
Israel, or don't you mean Palestine?
Dr Zoidberg

Postby Raistlen007 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:41 am UTC

drahcir wrote:
scarecrovv wrote:

No he is right, launching from cape Canaveral gives you an east west orbit, unless you do an orbit inclination burn, you are stuck at a 28.4 degree orbit, which doesnt pass through both points. If you launch from Vandenburg then you get a North South orbit and in that case yes you can pass through both points at some point in your orbit.

If you want to pass over Israel after launching from cape Canaveral you need to launch to a 65 degree inclination. This orbit takes you over France, and not south of Iceland. the rest of the orbital parameters for this orbit are a longitude of ascending node of 146.2 degrees, longitude of periapsis of 42.2 degrees.

I would post a link to a map of this orbit and the rest of the orbital parameters, but I registered just to say this and I can't post links yet.
Raistlen007

Postby mwibeck » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:56 am UTC

drahcir wrote:No he is right, launching from cape Canaveral gives you an east west orbit, unless you do an orbit inclination burn, you are stuck at a 28.4 degree orbit, which doesnt pass through both points. If you launch from Vandenburg then you get a North South orbit and in that case yes you can pass through both points at some point in your orbit.

Ehh.. That depends on which way you launch. Launching anything from a 28.4 latitude only limits you to having a greater inclination than 28.4 from launch (you can change afterwards, but that's expensive). Now, as for the shuttle, I'm pretty sure it has rendezvoused safely with the ISS, which has an inclination of over 51 degrees..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennedy_Space_Center_Launch_Complex_39 says 28 - 62 degrees inclination possible from Canaveral.

/Magnus
mwibeck

Postby Raistlen007 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:16 am UTC

mwibeck wrote:
drahcir wrote:No he is right, launching from cape Canaveral gives you an east west orbit, unless you do an orbit inclination burn, you are stuck at a 28.4 degree orbit, which doesnt pass through both points. If you launch from Vandenburg then you get a North South orbit and in that case yes you can pass through both points at some point in your orbit.

Ehh.. That depends on which way you launch. Launching anything from a 28.4 latitude only limits you to having a greater inclination than 28.4 from launch (you can change afterwards, but that's expensive). Now, as for the shuttle, I'm pretty sure it has rendezvoused safely with the ISS, which has an inclination of over 51 degrees..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennedy_Sp ... Complex_39 says 28 - 62 degrees inclination possible from Canaveral.

/Magnus

This is accurate. Most of the shuttle launches were launched at either 28.5 degrees (which is a rather cheap orbit that gives you good equatorial coverage, and also where the Hubble is.) Or at 51.6 degrees which is where Mir was and the ISS is.

Although the maximum approved shuttle launch inclination is 57 degrees, the highest inclination shuttle launch ever was STS-36 which launched at 62 degrees, but required suspension of flight over land rules. They suspended these flight rules because the payload was deemed important to national security.
Raistlen007

Postby wolf550e » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:41 am UTC

At coordinates 32.0N 35.5E is the town Rujm ash Shara'irah, a suburb of Amman, and capitol city of the Hashemite Arab Kingdom of Jordan.

Not Israel, or Palestinian Territories/Palestine.
wolf550e

Postby Plasma Man » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:19 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:There's always one of those douchebags willing to insist that anywhere you pick on the bloody globe has some kind of injustice drenching it irrevocably in blood. And now we can call him Frank. lulzy

I second this idea. The comic is also a good illustration of why I generally stay out of the Israel / Palestine threads on the fora.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.
Plasma Man

Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby rdm_box » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:05 am UTC

Israel and Palestine almost came to an agreement where Palestine would cut and Israel would choose, however, diplomatic proceedings broke down when Palestine revealed it had licked both pieces. :D
Regards,

-rdm_box
rdm_box

Postby H.H » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:32 am UTC

This is the map of Israel as it should be, everything inside the red border lines:

'http://img294.imageshack.us/f/greaterisraelmap.jpg

Anyone who says anything else is either a defeatist, or an enemy. Probably both.
H.H

Postby Alero » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:38 am UTC

Alero

Postby Steroid » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:55 am UTC

Couldn't he have just said, "over the West Bank?"
Steroid

Postby NotAllThere » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:21 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:...But in all seriousness, an online topic with a mention of Israel and it hasn't decayed into a flamewar in over an hour? I'm impressed.

*cough*Canaan!*cough*

My thoughts exactly. ( get out of my head! ). I was expecting 5 pages of vitriol by now at least. But give it time...
yangosplat wrote:So many amazing quotes, so little room in 300 characters!
NotAllThere

Postby H.H » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:33 am UTC

Steroid wrote:Couldn't he have just said, "over the West Bank?"

Tell me, how can a river bank be hundreds of meters high?
"The occupied territories", though a wrong mane by international law (the land wasn't claimed by any nation after the british mandate, which was given to it by the League of Nations, was over in 1948, by a recommendation of UNSCOP), at least has some foundation in ideology.
"The West Bank" ends a few dozen meters west of the border with Jordan. This is just geographic common sense.
H.H

Postby Frankie » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:33 am UTC

FWIW, there is indeed http://occupiedtexas.com

I did not check if they had any Rule 34 stuff though.
Frankie

Postby yedidyak » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:39 am UTC

wolf550e wrote:At coordinates 32.0N 35.5E is the town Rujm ash Shara'irah, a suburb of Amman, and capitol city of the Hashemite Arab Kingdom of Jordan.

Not Israel, or Palestinian Territories/Palestine.

I could find you enough people who would argue for any of those three options... :wink:
yedidyak

Postby mmmcannibalism » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:16 pm UTC

That was pure genius
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.
mmmcannibalism

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:47 pm UTC

"Occupied north Texas" is kind of unwieldy for a punchline, but the comic is overall good; and it made a good job of touching the Middle Eastern problem without making an ugly mess out of it.
SirMustapha

Postby Me321 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:53 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:We'll free Oklahoma from the oppressors one day.

Over my dead body.
Me321

Next

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads