0792: "Password Reuse"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Bobsama

0792: "Password Reuse"

Postby Bobsama » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:00 am UTC

Alt-text: It'll be hilarious the first few times this happens.

I think it's a better comic than Friday.

LucasBrown

"Password Reuse" discussion (#792)

Postby LucasBrown » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:01 am UTC

Alt text: "It'll be hilarious the first few times this happens."

I've actually fallen victim to this.

Mike_Bson

Re: "Password Reuse" discussion (#792)

Postby Mike_Bson » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:02 am UTC

Always love the hat guy.

OP, you've fallen victim to your password being taken, or have you fallen victim to making a website and having nothing to do etc, like the hat guy?

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:04 am UTC

So I randomly guessed that March 1997 was when they passed the DMCA, because that sounds like the sort of thing that would make Randall "stop believing in anything." I guessed wrong. Who else wants to take a stab at it?
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Tyrannosaur

Re: "Password Reuse" Discussion (#792)

Postby Tyrannosaur » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:05 am UTC

I am just waiting for Google to turn evil... unfortunately it's destined to happen....

why aren't they playing Modern Warfare 2, anyway? It's a cooler game...
djessop wrote:The t-shirt should read "There are 11 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who insist the number above is pronounced as eleven no matter what base you're in".

existentialpanda

Postby existentialpanda » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:05 am UTC

Looks like Hat Guy's having a bad day.

rpgamer

Postby rpgamer » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:05 am UTC

I'd admit I'm guilty of this, too, but that sounds like a bad idea.

Also, huge comic.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:05 am UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:So I randomly guessed that March 1997 was when they passed the DMCA, because that sounds like the sort of thing that would make Randall "stop believing in anything." I guessed wrong. Who else wants to take a stab at it?

Numerous possibilities.

EDIT: Ack, other post was first, we shouldn't be posting here... :-\
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Tyrannosaur

Postby Tyrannosaur » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:06 am UTC

I am just waiting for Google to turn evil... unfortunately it is destined to happen...

Why aren't they playing Modern Warfare 2? Cooler game in my opinion.....
djessop wrote:The t-shirt should read "There are 11 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who insist the number above is pronounced as eleven no matter what base you're in".

pyroman

Postby pyroman » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:13 am UTC

hmm the only thing I can think of for march of 1997 is the ban on government funding for human cloning. Other than that I'm not sure what it could be.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:15 am UTC

Google's logo isn't right, unless it's supposed to be set back in Cod2 days.. even then, I've never seen the google logo with a circle around it?

HI JOEE

On topic: my passwords are different for important things. Throw away accounts get one of a few passwords, based on when they were created, and what kind of security I want on them. With all this security, it sucks how ATMs expect a password to protect your money that has a 1 in 10,000 chance of being cracked.
Last edited by glasnt on Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SocialSceneRepairman

Postby SocialSceneRepairman » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:16 am UTC

Congratulations. You've A: Given millions of your lower bracket of readers ideas (which they'll just use to make money, of course), B: Established Black-Hat-Foil as ignorant of a basic computer security measure.

I'm pretty sure this has happened plenty of times, actually...

TheAbstractor

Postby TheAbstractor » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:23 am UTC

existentialpanda wrote:Looks like Hat Guy's having a bad day.

He's still not over the lackluster response by the general public to his comedy routine.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:24 am UTC

I must admit I kinda enjoyed this one.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Xentropy

Postby Xentropy » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:25 am UTC

I'm not sure why the other thread has way more views and replies, since this one was first (and fully correct in formatting without an edit marker, kudos).

monicaclaire
Location: Where you will never get to me. Sometimes, but not all the time, on P3X-774.

Postby monicaclaire » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:29 am UTC

pyroman wrote:Other than that I'm not sure what it could be.

Hehe, maybe it was this or maybe he was sad Hale-Bopp didn't take him away. :lol:

Ego

Postby Ego » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:29 am UTC

it can't be so easy. when you get enough password-power someone come to you and invite you to join world puppetmaster community or something like that. and kill you in case of denial

Biduleman

Postby Biduleman » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:30 am UTC

SocialSceneRepairman wrote:Congratulations. You've A: Given millions of your lower bracket of readers ideas (which they'll just use to make money, of course), B: Established Black-Hat-Foil as ignorant of a basic computer security measure.

I'm pretty sure this has happened plenty of times, actually...

Back when Diablo 2 was huge, a friend of mine started a clan forum with a modified phpBB that sent him the login/pass of anyone who registered. Lots of people used the same login and pass for his forum and diablo, and one even used the same password for his paypal account. (but he didn't do anything with the paypal, I guess he didn't want lots of trouble with the justice xD)

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:32 am UTC

Randall is on a roll. I welcome the return of the Black Hat Guy
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Magic Molly

Postby Magic Molly » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:32 am UTC

I can't quite think of what could have happened in march of 1997. I think Randall just wants to see the google search listings go up a ton.

Also, you'd think he'd put something like TF2 or half-life, not call of duty.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:32 am UTC

If this was the first, I'll bump this with my comments.

I welcome the Black Hay Guy back. Randall is on a roll again
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Catbertthegreat

Postby Catbertthegreat » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:34 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
Steve the Pocket wrote:So I randomly guessed that March 1997 was when they passed the DMCA, because that sounds like the sort of thing that would make Randall "stop believing in anything." I guessed wrong. Who else wants to take a stab at it?

Numerous possibilities.

It was the Heaven's Gate suicide that the Black Hat guy was referring too. Joined the forum just to answer that question.

MoogleGunner

Postby MoogleGunner » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:34 am UTC

Was...

BHG looking forward to human cloning so much that the federal ban on funding sent him into a spiraling depression.
BHG's father the president of Guyana, and his death made him lose hope for the world
BHG a huge fan of Pablo Picasso, and the theft of his favourite work Tête de Femme, despite its return, cause him to become bereaved beyond measure
BHG living in Sri Lanka and was traumatized for life by the overrunning of a military base
BHG irrevocably distraught by the fact that even Japan was losing human lives to nuclear radiation, thus destroying his faith in politics
BHG a huge Mother Teresa fan, and was less than please with their choice of successor
BHG an enormous Sichuan traditionalist and the formation of Chongqing caused to be filled with insane melancholy
BHG saw the Phoenix Lights and found himself trapped in inescapable ennui.
BHG shocked by the Sandline affair and forever distraught
BHG personally involved with the Russian An-24, and the grounding of them made him hideously depressed
BHG's involvement with the government of Zaire failed to pay off because of Etienne Tshiksekedi lead him to become catastrophically desperate
BHG's lack of foresight with regards to the Sandling mercenary withdrawal made him titanically ashamed
BHG became unrepentantly wretched after Tara Lipinski made him realize he would never be the youngest women's world figure skating champion.
BHG gazed into the tail Comet Hale-Bopp, and the tail gazed back into him
BHG was filled with unending tears after being kidnapped and forced to watch Billy Crystal host the Academy Awards
BHG was haughtily disgusted with himself after it took so long for the Heaven's Gate cultists to die.
BHG was secretely Julius Chan, and after stepping down as prime minister succumbed to impotent despair.

simcop2387

Postby simcop2387 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:35 am UTC

If I had to guess (and I suppose I do) what the March 1997 comment is about, I'd guess its a reference to the Heaven's Gate cult and the Hale-Bopp comet.

Uninfinity

Postby Uninfinity » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:38 am UTC

It feels like the black hat guy is slowly turning into the joker for some reason. This is good. :D

Troger64

Postby Troger64 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:43 am UTC

ive been worried about this so ive been varying my passwords very slightly with the less memorable changes on the sites im less likely to return to

in the end i just wont be able to long into anything because i dont know which password to use

eaglef2

Postby eaglef2 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:44 am UTC

Randall needs to elaborate on BHG's suffering.
"I am a four hundred-foot tall purple Platypus Bear with pink horns and silver wings."
-Azula, Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Goofy McCoy

Postby Goofy McCoy » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:47 am UTC

Catbertthegreat wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:

Numerous possibilities.

It was the Heaven's Gate suicide that the Black Hat guy was referring too. Joined the forum just to answer that question.

...Blast it, did the same thing, AND YOU BEAT ME TO IT. ಠ_ಠ

k3lit0

Postby k3lit0 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:49 am UTC

Great comic. I'm grateful every day that Google is a benevolent overlord. Could you imagine what the world would be like had Yahoo or AOL stayed on top? D:

KTLin

Postby KTLin » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:51 am UTC

I love that Wikipedia has already been updated to include BHG's day on March 15th.

Gurgan Dellik

Postby Gurgan Dellik » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:52 am UTC

After reading the comic I was curious about what happened in March 1997 so I wiki'd it. http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=1997&oldid=384524021. Unfortunately, minutes later it was changed back.

I should also note that I made this account just to post this response and in doing so decided to choose a password that I have never used before. D;

Uninfinity

Postby Uninfinity » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:00 am UTC

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promise_ ... ected=true
A different kind of March. Muahaha. (October 4th, 1997)
Also, whups; shoulda posted in this thread first.
Last edited by Uninfinity on Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

s0merand0mdude

Postby s0merand0mdude » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:03 am UTC

Dang.

I need to get some new passwords. I use pretty much just one password for every new account I make. The thing is, I also don't have any high-sensitivity accounts. I don't care if someone hacks my Facebook: I'm already a nerd. I don't care if somebody hacks my YouTube: I only have one subscriber and can just make a new one. I don't care if somebody hacks my forum accounts: I mean, what're they gonna do there? The only thing I slightly care about are my Wiki accounts on different Wiki's, since I've spent a while building up a reputation.
unus vox wrote:Then again, you're looking for characterization, compelling dialogue, and cohesion in a 3-panel web comic with stick figures.

xnick

Postby xnick » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:15 am UTC

I'm wandering what occurred in march of '97... Maybe some mind boggling film was aired?

Wikipedia events for 1997 March:

March 4 – U.S. President Bill Clinton bars federal funding for any research on human cloning.
March 6 – President of Guyana Cheddi Jagan dies in office.
March 6 – Pablo Picasso's Tête de Femme is stolen from a London gallery (recovered a week later).
March 6 – In Sri Lanka, Tamil Tigers overrun a military base and kill more than 200.
March 11 – An explosion at the Tokaimura nuclear waste reprocessing plant in Japan exposes 35 workers to low-level radioactive contamination, in the worst nuclear accident in Japan's history.
March 13 – India's Missionaries of Charity chooses Sister Nirmala to succeed Mother Teresa as its leader.
March 13 – The National People's Congress of the People's Republic of China creates a new Chongqing Municipality, out of part of Sichuan.
March 13 – The Phoenix Lights are seen over Phoenix, AZ.
March 16 – Sandline affair: On Bougainville Island, soldiers of commander Jerry Singirok arrest Tim Spicer and his mercenaries of the Sandline International.
March 18 – The tail of a Russian An-24 charter plane breaks off while en-route to Turkey, causing the plane to crash, killing all 50 on board, and resulting in the grounding of all An-24s.
March 21 – In Zaire, Etienne Tshiksekedi is appointed prime minister; he ejects supporters of Mobutu Sese Seko from his cabinet.
March 21 – Mercenaries of Sandline International withdraw from Papua New Guinea.
March 22 – Tara Lipinski, 14, becomes the youngest women's world figure skating champion.
March 22 – The Comet Hale-Bopp makes its closest approach to Earth.
March 24 – The 69th Academy Awards, hosted by Billy Crystal, are held at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, California, with The English Patient winning Best Picture.
March 26 – In San Diego, California, 39 Heaven's Gate cultists commit mass suicide at their compound.
March 26 – Julius Chan resigns as prime minister of Papua New Guinea, ending the Sandline affair.

Question for forum users: have you used an original user name and password register here? hmmmm... This comic might be based on a true story...

akrolsmir

Postby akrolsmir » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:17 am UTC

I've actually worried about this before, since I sign up for a lot of ...things (forums, games, websites, etc), of varying security.
My end solution was one password for anything I didn't care too much about (games, mostly. Also some social network stuff) and a unique password for each important site which share a same base but are customized for each site. Of course, that's not really too difficult to crack; if someone finds the base I'm probably screwed.
What do you guys do to combat this?

@ above: Same user, but the password for things not critically important.
Last edited by akrolsmir on Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:18 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

solobutterfly

Postby solobutterfly » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:18 am UTC

I want to believe it has something to do with television...either his favorite show was cancelled and he lost hope, something major happened to some characters in a show he watched, or a show he hated started airing and he felt it displayed the worst in humanity started.

BHG hates Buffy? Cartoon Network's Toonami block? Step by Step? Just Shoot Me?

Edit: I also like how this comic has gotten people to confess to how little security they concern themselves with, Randall has now narrowed down the list of people who's passwords to start using on common sites.
Last edited by solobutterfly on Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

thret

Postby thret » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:19 am UTC

I have the same username everywhere, but a different random 10-digit password. I went old-school and used dice to churn out a bunch of truly random passwords, they aren't that hard to memorise when you use them all the time.

hintss

Postby hintss » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:22 am UTC

meh, 9 passwords. but only 3 for web services. doh!

hatten

Postby hatten » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:23 am UTC

Same username everywhere, different passwords everywhere. I keep all my passwords in a text file hidden somewhere in my directory structure. Got a bash script for accessing passwords, and another for creating new.

This was a real funny one!

solobutterfly

Postby solobutterfly » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:26 am UTC

Or perhaps the answer lies in here somewhere for those truly dedicated to educating themselves about March 1997: http://www.encyclopedia.com/Newsweek/pu ... geNumber=1

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”