0802: "Online Communities 2"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Joe5150

Re: 0802: "Online Communities 2"

Postby Joe5150 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:46 am UTC

Do I spy DataLounge!? Oh Randall, can we get married!?

crossalchemist

Postby crossalchemist » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:03 am UTC

Two things:

1) Windows Live Spaces doesn't exist any more due to Microsoft deal with Wordpress. See spaces.live.com

2) If Starcraft 2 gets to be included why not Borderlands? Where is XBOX LIVE, Games for Windows LIVE and Steam?

EDIT: Found Steam. Mountains above Starcraft 2.
Last edited by crossalchemist on Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

xkcdfan42

Postby xkcdfan42 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:18 am UTC

I was looking at Randall's latest beauty here, and thinking "Gee, wouldn't that be even cooler if you could click on the sites/phrases and go to the site."

And then I went a little insane...

So check out this version. It's just Randall's large image, but every word/region on the page is linked to either the site it references or something apropos (mostly wikipedia articles). You'll definitely want to scroll, or use your browser's scaling to scale it down.

http://xkcdfan.webfreehosting.net/community_map_2.html

Approving link because it's AWESOME. And by AWESOME, I mean QUITE GOOD, REALLY. ~Felstaff

Let me know what y'all think...

BTW, while I was making this I found a few typos (you probably already saw these, but...):

Mispelled "Prairie Dog" as "Prarie Dog"
Mispelled "Nasza-Klasa.pl" as "Nasa-Klasza.pl"
Mispelled "Tuenti" as "toenti"

Anything I couldn't read (there were only a few), or anything that didn't make any sense at all to me I put in as "about:blank" (e.g. what the heck is "whaler bay" about?)

GooglyBoogly

Postby GooglyBoogly » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:53 am UTC

Wow. That linked version is awesome.

It would be nice if the reference sources mentioned in the "About the map" section were also linked.
Into Alien Crossfire? It has been almost 10 years. Time to update your datalinks.
Try out my Comprehensive Datalinks Update. Now v1.3!

vice

Postby vice » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:44 pm UTC

so is there any definitive list of every site/etc mentioned in this map?

BradyDale

Postby BradyDale » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:57 pm UTC

I understand why Randall made Wikipedia smaller, but... man... I still feel like it's huge. I rely on Wikipedia so heavily, and I feel like lots of people do. Even if I never edit anything on Wikipedia, it's still a gigantic part of my online life. I think Wikipedia is becoming somewhat like Email and Listservs. Something that's so big and so mainstream that it isn't really interesting to edgy webusers anymore.
<a href="http://www.thistoowillpass.com">This Too Will Pass</a>

lst

Postby lst » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:16 pm UTC

Fantastic comic, I really like those diagrams/graphs/maps ones.

I only felt that Nico Nico Douga and Pixiv, the japanese sites akin to Youtube and DeviantArt, are missing, they're really big at that side of the world. I thought their absence was a little strange, since 2channel and Mixi are there.

Wildbill

Postby Wildbill » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:05 pm UTC

I see that Brickshelf has a tiny island. I was a bit surprised not to see some of the other LEGO-related communities represented, such as Bricklink and MOCPages. At the present time, they are in fact both more active than Brickshelf, which has fallen on hard times, server-response-time-wise. There are also active LEGO communities in Europe and Japan. Oh well, you can't step into the same river even once on the Internet, or, as Greg Bear calls it, "The Net of a Million Lies".

xkcdfan42

Postby xkcdfan42 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:00 pm UTC

GooglyBoogly wrote:Wow. That linked version is awesome.

It would be nice if the reference sources mentioned in the "About the map" section were also linked.

Thanks. Ok, I added those links.

xkcdfan42

Postby xkcdfan42 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:03 pm UTC

vice wrote:so is there any definitive list of every site/etc mentioned in this map?

Well, it's probably not definitive, but there's a link from my clickable version at the top that has some info.

Here's direct link to the list: http://goo.gl/PCS5

xmrsmoothx

Postby xmrsmoothx » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:31 am UTC

Hehe... 4chan looks like a dick...

Side note, where the FUCK is EVE-Online on MMO isle? RAGGEEEEEEEEEE

Other side note, found it

Final side note, could use some Island of Minecraft somewhere.

Final final side note, I spot a DRR DRR DRR... far west, edge of map, west of adult friend finder.
I LOVE having a signature. It makes my post that much bigger.

transatlantic

Postby transatlantic » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:20 am UTC

But Randall, where's the Fortress of Ultimate Darkness?

McTricks

Postby McTricks » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:46 am UTC

So is it just me or does the full world of communication look like it's heavily based off of North America?

Also, Where's Aion? Seriously!

allo

Postby allo » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:19 pm UTC

ICQ smaller than Skype? WTF

Ephemeron

Postby Ephemeron » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:50 pm UTC

I'm working on a version of this map with all the suggestions of missing places people have been making in this thread. It already includes the Eye of Zuckerburg, and Wikipeida - as a giant floating blimp! And I shall call it: Online Communities 2.1. Anyone got any more requests for inclusion?

Edit:
transatlantic wrote:But Randall, where's the Fortress of Ultimate Darkness?

I just got the reference. :wink:

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Re: "Online Communities 2" Discussion (#802)

Postby existential_elevator » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:14 pm UTC

tagno25 wrote:
Felstaff wrote:Can anyone read* what's around the Isle of Mockery on the Blogosphere Core Region? I can read "People of Walmart" but can't make out anything else, or what it says on the actual island itself.

Thanks in advance.

*and communicate to me what it actually says.

People of walmart
Lovers(?) End
MDW End
Recacist(?)

and the Island looks like it says "N7edt"

Sorry for the late reply.

This is an interesting question, because it looks like Regretsy laid claim to their name in this region of the internet...

I've sharpened the island up in as many ways as possible and have come up with this ugly .jpg
Spoiler:
Isle of mockery.jpg

I think we have (going clockwise from the middle):
WTSTD (decidedly NSFW)
People of Walmart
Regretsy

My working theory from there is that the other "places" do not have dots, therefore they are not websites. It says "Mean End" [near People of Walmart] and I assume the other says something similar... I want to say "lottery end" because that's the only word I can make sense of, but I know that isn't correct.

IonizationEnergyQED

Postby IonizationEnergyQED » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:26 pm UTC

duckshirt wrote:I was just wondering the other day whether he'd ever update this map... does that qualify as 'get out of my head, Randall'?

Same, dude, same

The guy is secretly a telepath as powerful as Prof. X

sanguine

Postby sanguine » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:43 pm UTC

Started my Master's in Cartography today, and this map is hanging prominently on one of the doors of the department!

I'm also missing TVTropes.
"Oh, no. We're not trapped in here with them. They're trapped in here with Jenkins." "What's a Jenkins?" "Jenkins is... well, he's on our side. You'll come to appreciate that."

tixrus

Postby tixrus » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:01 pm UTC

Love this map. Unfortunately it needs to be updated about every six minutes. A time lapse of how it changes over time would be very cool.

I place myself somewhere in the northern wasteland of unread updates. Like when I post something totally trivial or mundane on facebook or worse share out some stupid thing that is not mine, people comment a blue streak. When I put out anything even remotely original or thought provoking.... NOTHING. I need a higher intellectual caliber of "friends" I guess. Anyway I propose that political entity be named "Northern Ignorupdatamia."

vice

Postby vice » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:54 am UTC

xkcdfan42 wrote:
vice wrote:so is there any definitive list of every site/etc mentioned in this map?

Well, it's probably not definitive, but there's a link from my clickable version at the top that has some info.

Here's direct link to the list: http://goo.gl/PCS5

Thank you greatly, very helpful.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:24 pm UTC

libbykino wrote:
teelo wrote:Starcraft II is not an MMO... Its a Real Time Strategy.

Well, given that "MMO" stands for Massively Multiplayer Online, Starcraft II is indeed an MMO. What you meant to say was that it is not an MMORPG.
... No, it's not. MMOs have to be able to support hundreds (or more) of players in the same shared space at the same time, usually in a persistent world. Starcraft 2 cannot do that - there are not hundreds of players in a single game, and it's certainly not a persistent worldspace. It's not an MMO.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

TheSultanOfBrunei

Postby TheSultanOfBrunei » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:12 am UTC

I wonder where Formspring got off to? Presumably it would be amongst the other forgotten social networking sites, but given that it caused such a furor during its run, and was closely tied to Facebook, I expected to see some kind of mention of it.

Also, I am yet another guy who finally decided to join thanks to this comic. Absolutely genius.

Inglonias

Postby Inglonias » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:02 pm UTC

Quick question: Why isn't Steam and Impulse on the map? Did you not manage to get data for that, or did you forget, or what? :?

DHeadshot

Postby DHeadshot » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:31 pm UTC

And he's still ignored communities that predate most of the stuff on there, like The Well and Synthetic Reality!

sakura_candy

Postby sakura_candy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:22 am UTC

Kayube wrote:Is anyone else now imagining a version of Hetalia based on the history of the internet?

God, the sheer number of characters and their relationships would be too much of a pain for anyone to write about... Although I do think there should be bits and pieces of "personification of social networks" floating around the internet.

And tvtropes deserve a mention on this map.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:24 am UTC

sakura_candy wrote:
Kayube wrote:Is anyone else now imagining a version of Hetalia based on the history of the internet?

God, the sheer number of characters and their relationships would be too much of a pain for anyone to write about... Although I do think there should be bits and pieces of "personification of social networks" floating around the internet.

Sounds like it'd almost be a cross between Hetalia and OS-tan. Question being, since most of the nations in Hetalia are male and most of the OS-tans are female, what would the social networking sites be?
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Murphoid

Postby Murphoid » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:49 pm UTC

Kind of disappointed that DDO didn't get a nation on the MMO isles, Or Star Trek online. Wondering if anyone has really done an MMO marketshare study recently?

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:52 am UTC

MMO Market data, for 50,000 < subscribers < 150,000.

The numbers are mainly speculation and educated guessing, thanks to a variety of sources, rather than official data (which never gets released anyway, unless you're World of Warcraft, at which point you can happily say "oh look another 3 million users for Q3 2010!") but they're most likely accurate enough for amateur analysis.
Spoiler:
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

lyfin

Postby lyfin » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:38 am UTC

McTricks wrote:So is it just me or does the full world of communication look like it's heavily based off of North America?

Also, Where's Aion? Seriously!

Aion is only available on the 3D v.3 map which includes new features such as the infamous "720 degree" view which allows you to see the map in a variety of ways.

Included is the "topography" option which, when rotated correctly, allows you to see the layers of earth beneath the surface. Aion is at this location, along with ALL THE OTHER NEW MMOs SO NEW THEY AREN'T CONSIDERED YET!!! *cough* anyhow...

What I do not understand is why Runescape, a browser [NOT TEXT] MMORPG is included, but AQWorlds (another browser [NOT TEXT] MMORPG) isn't.

Though many people (*cough* WoW addicts *cough*) have never heard of AQWorlds, it is actually an EXTREMELY popular MMO, and has been for YEARS.

Proof of popularity:

http://www.gameogre.com/mmorpgshowdown3.htm

AQWorlds has been considered many times for top MMORPG, just like in the "MMORPG Showdown 3" above.

The next time you create a map, please consider it. Though it may be outranked by games like TERA (depending on when you make the map) and Aion by that time, it is still growing in members.

Famine

Postby Famine » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:16 pm UTC

I registered just to post in this thread!

Multi-User Dungeons (MUD) were left out of the picture. It's the genre that played a heavy influence on MMO's in general. Ironically enough, it's also the one game that represents the root of what xkcd is all about in online gaming. :wink:

I think a nice archipelago of small islands off the coast of MMO Isle would suffice well! You could have a cluster of islands to represent each code directive. Please see the reference MUD tree here.

Thanks!

FlipC

Postby FlipC » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:10 pm UTC

Just OOC as this has been posted online as well as in the printed version of the Independent did they bother to ask permission for the commercial aspect?

Approved because the link is interesting - but please read the rules; no links before your first five posts.

Apologies, but the question made no sense without a link.

Also, to answer your question, the comic falls under the Creative Commons licence, which means it's free to be distributed so long as you're not making money out of it. ~~Felstaff

The online aspect is free however the printed paper retails at £1.

tojo940

Postby tojo940 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:28 pm UTC

Randall moved up a rank in my list of "Pretty cool guys that don't afraid of anything" when I saw that he had Jia Junpeng on the map. I was like this 囧 when I saw that. 中文是最酷的语言!

Kazard

Postby Kazard » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:22 pm UTC

Always (ever since I found it and started reading it a few years ago...) loved the comic, and just finally decided to sign up for the forums...

Anyway the comment I intend to leave is thus:
Loved that I got to see DeviantArt included in this particular map, though I was a bit sad that the site FurAffinity.net wasn't to be found. Though I do realize that it's part of the furry fandom community (yes I'm a fan of the Furry Fandom, however I'm fairly flame proof...), it's effectively as widely used as DeviantArt, and if you were ever to make a part three for whatever reason, I'd love to see it included.

Though I only have mild hopes that the artist will wind up seeing this particular comment here, or if they do, that my request will be considered, but in the absence of anything better to do, I'll post it all the same. ^^

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:02 pm UTC

tojo940 wrote:Randall moved up a rank in my list of "Pretty cool guys that don't afraid of anything" when I saw that he had Jia Junpeng on the map. I was like this 囧 when I saw that. 中文是最酷的语言!

Why should he be afraid of it?
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:01 pm UTC

Monika wrote:
tojo940 wrote:Randall moved up a rank in my list of "Pretty cool guys that don't afraid of anything" when I saw that he had Jia Junpeng on the map. I was like this 囧 when I saw that. 中文是最酷的语言!

Why should he be afraid of it?

If eh wasnt a pretty cool guy eh would be. (Warning: EncyclopediaDramatic is bad for your soul, but where else you gonna find dissected memes on display?).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

CohenBY

Postby CohenBY » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:56 pm UTC

lst wrote:I only felt that Nico Nico Douga and Pixiv, the japanese sites akin to Youtube and DeviantArt, are missing, they're really big at that side of the world. I thought their absence was a little strange, since 2channel and Mixi are there.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. Considering the amount of comments on most of the videos posted on Nicovideo.jp, I'm frankly surprised it isn't represented almost as big as Gaia.

CohenBY

Postby CohenBY » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:52 pm UTC

Also kinda surprised to not find ScienceBlogs on the map.

Mr_FJ

Postby Mr_FJ » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:12 pm UTC

So why isn't Facepunch on?

gratisrecoup

Postby gratisrecoup » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:50 pm UTC

Interactive version of Map of Online Communities -

just wanted to post this here, since it was inspired by this comic.

http://www.siteskip.com/interactivemapo ... mmunities/

Ephemeron

Postby Ephemeron » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:24 am UTC

Hey everyone, I posted this in the xkcdsw thread:

Online Communities 2.1

This is an improved version of the map with everything you have been asking for. I went through this thread for all the requests for things to add to the map, and every (reasonable) request was answered. Think of it as an early Christmas present. :)

To get a sense of just how much I added, just open both maps, and flick between the two tabs. Like Randall, I cannot guarantee that the sizes will be perfectly accurate. See 'About this map' for more details.

^ Click for full resolution! ^

Ironically this was made for a thread where the purpose is to make xkcd worse. Guess I kinda failed at that. :oops: A list of all the new additions can be found in my post on that thread.

By the way, that tower thing in the north of Facebook, well the idea came from this post:
mrt181 wrote:Well, the Facebook Lands are missing the
Eye of Zuckerberg
The Eye was rimmed with fire, but was itself glazed, yellow as a cat's, watchful and intent, and the black slit of its pupil opened on a pit, a window into nothing.

The Wikipedia Blimp, that was my idea. 8)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”