0803: "Airfoil"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

emholtin

Re: 0803: "Airfoil"

Postby emholtin » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:46 pm UTC

I've been working on this for a few hours now, and I still don't have an accessible answer for 7th-graders who need a basic intro to physical science with the intention of A) not teaching them errors that future physics profs will have to undo, B) helping them develop the habit of thinking about problems in terms of testing/modifying/trying again, and C) convincing them that science doesn't suck. They haven't taken algebra yet, and while no one is encouraging "dumbing down" information, it's also true that it's a mixed-ability (and mixed-interest) class.

They generally get velocity & acceleration; they basically understand Newton's 3rd law. We'll start the chapter on pressure next week. Our textbook explains lift via "equal and opposite force," as well as Bernoulli ("Curved air moving over the top has a greater speed than air moving under the bottom. As a result, the air moving over the top exerts less pressure than the air below.") Is there an explanation for these kids as to why the air moves faster over the curved top of the wing? Please help!

P.S.--Sometimes even competent, knowledgeable teachers still need to tell a child that the answer to the question involves math that they haven't learned yet. Other teachers, that is. Me, I say, "Heck, I don't know! Why don't you look that up the next time we're in the computer lab and share what you find out with the rest of us?" Which is how I've learned about snake venom, human hairballs, and many, many things related to poop. Ah, 7th grade.
P.P.S.--If it helps, I looked at the lists of physics misconceptions, and I haven't committed any of them yet! :)

theross

Postby theross » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:52 am UTC

Thanks for making the lecture run long with your questions, dick

Have fun getting jumped after school

thank you for bumping a three year old thread to simply be a jerk. Now we know to watch you. -ST

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:46 pm UTC

charonme wrote:http://www.lefthandedtoons.com/874/
Spoiler:

I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:44 am UTC

GirlGenius wrote:"Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”