0814: "Diode"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: 0814: Diode

Postby Solt » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:41 am UTC

Jebobek wrote:I think many fail to find this one funny mainly because their SO has been doing that for years without a diode...


I hear you :-(
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris
User avatar
Solt
 
Posts: 1912
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:08 am UTC
Location: California

Re: 0814: Diode

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:17 am UTC

I fail to find it funny because it's not a particularly clever or funny joke. It's about as funny as "Man walks into a bar. Ouch".
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?
User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
 
Posts: 7788
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: 0814: Diode

Postby corporalgubbins » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:28 am UTC

Why does it have to be funny for it to be a good comic?

I thought it was clever - understated enough that it took me a second before I got it and a great metaphor. Nicely done!
corporalgubbins
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:10 am UTC

Re: 0814: Diode

Postby jozwa » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:33 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:So basically, girl uses diode to take total advantage of a guy despite the fact that all good relationships go both ways rather than just one? And then Randall laughs at his cheap little pun?

Hey, that's a good analysis.

And yeah, not really chuckly (can't wait to read the blind bashing at xkcdsucks). There's only so much humor you can squeeze out of a diode.
jozwa
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:16 pm UTC
Location: Finland

Re: 0814: Diode

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:03 am UTC

jozwa wrote:There's only so much humor you can squeeze out of a diode.

And it only comes out one end.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?
User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
 
Posts: 7788
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: 0814: Diode

Postby littlelj » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:06 am UTC

Saxman wrote:Resistor? I hardly know her.

:D

I know very little about electronics, so I knew I hadn't got the joke, but even I could tell this is a whimsy/regret comic rather than a gut-splitter. If you want every comic to be funny and easily understood, you might have more fun at dilbert.com.

Now that you have all explained to me gently what diodes actually do (wiki didn't quite help this time) I at least get the reference. I find it quite a neat analogy for some kinds of relationships, alas.
Dudes, I'm a woman.
User avatar
littlelj
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:40 am UTC

Re: 0814: Diode

Postby Tualha » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:06 am UTC

Rather depressing and not terribly funny. Perhaps Randall is having a bit of relationship trouble atm.
User avatar
Tualha
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:18 pm UTC

Re: 0814: "Diode"

Postby Whelkaholism » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:20 am UTC

I read it as "women don't hear men's reasons for being upset, and men don't hear women's apologies".

Although as she didn't hear his reason for being upset, she didn't apologise anyway. So the last bit is theoretical.

Now I'm confused again.
Whelkaholism
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:13 am UTC

Re: 0814: Diode

Postby Mjauti » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:33 am UTC

Arundo wrote:I hate to say it but you have the diode drawn wrong. For this joke to make sense the black end needs to be on her side. Then the current of apology will flow towards her and not towards him. This is assuming the diode drawn is a general purpose rectifier (1N4007).


I guess it may also make sense the other way, if interpreting the "current" as communication in general. Then the she would have asked him to hold the recipient side of the diode in order to let him hear her complaint, without her receiving his. The side effect would of course be that she would be unable to hear his apology as well, thus resulting in her uttering the words in the toooltip.
Mjauti
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:07 pm UTC

Re: 0814: Diode

Postby BigMcStrongmuscle » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:53 am UTC

diremage123 wrote:BTW, how does a diode work? D:

Stand back, good citizens! I'm an electrical engineer!

Basically, its a little piece of silicon (which is electrically neutral) where one end is doped with positive ions and the other with negative ions, giving them a slight electric charge. The magic happens at the "junction" - the point where the two sides intersect. The electromagnetic force on incoming electrons will be stronger from whichever of the two sides is closest. If you try to push electrons through the junction from the negatively-doped side, the similar electric charges repel each other and block the current. If you try to push them through the positive side, however, the pull from the positively-doped silicon is strong enough to boost the electrons past the part that repels them, losing only a little force in the process.

The reverse breakdown voltage is the point where you have so much potential energy across the diode that the charge hindering current flow becomes more or less irrelevant. It's similar to the way a pull-only door can stop you from pushing it open, but won't stop, say, a charging rhinoceros.
BigMcStrongmuscle
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:45 pm UTC

Re: 0814: "Diode"

Postby Vroomfundel » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:56 am UTC

And the Hitchhikers's Guide is commonly abbreviated to H2G2 because Douglas Adams himself suggested it by founding h2g2.com
lexicum.net - my vocabulary learning platform
Vroomfundel
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:36 am UTC

Re: 0814: "Diode"

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:02 am UTC

I guess this is why it's hopeless to suggest Randall get an editor.

EDITOR: Okay, now I have to point out some flaws.
RANDALL: First, hold this diode. HAHAHA LOLZ LOLZ HAHAHA GET IT? LOLZ AND THEN YOU SAY I HAVE TO "IMPROVE" HAHAHA
User avatar
SirMustapha
 
Posts: 1303
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Re: 0814: Diode

Postby Arundo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:04 am UTC

Mr. Burke wrote:Well, what do you know, another “Haven't Gotten Over Megan Yet” comic.

Also, the circuit isn't closed.


Gah, you're right! They need to be holding hands... as if embracing each other in affection... only for it to be one sided.
Arundo
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:55 am UTC

Re: 0814: "Diode"

Postby BigMcStrongmuscle » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 am UTC

Maybe they are barefoot, and the floor is apologetically conductive?
BigMcStrongmuscle
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:45 pm UTC

Re: 0814: "Diode"

Postby Solt » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:27 am UTC

Tualha wrote:Rather depressing and not terribly funny.
jozwa wrote:And yeah, not really chuckly
SlyReaper wrote:I fail to find it funny because it's not a particularly clever or funny joke. It's about as funny as "Man walks into a bar. Ouch".


Where in the world did you guys get the impression that xkcd was supposed to be funny? I checked the front page and it doesn't say that anywhere, so if you guys are giving yourselves false expectations as to what xkcd is, you only have yourselves to blame. Have you guys even read the archives? There's some depressing stuff in there!

Even Calvin and Hobbes had the occasional serious comic. "Comic" (referring to the style of drawn art, not the word) does not, by anyone's definition, mean "something funny" although it CAN be. Some people...


Personally, I think this is yet another example of Randall's genius. The use of technological concepts as metaphors (and sometimes not) to shed insight into our everyday lives... brilliant!
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris
User avatar
Solt
 
Posts: 1912
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:08 am UTC
Location: California

Re: 0814: Diode

Postby mr-mitch » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:40 am UTC

itsdrenthe wrote:Their relationship seems like it has a high potential of breakdown!

XD


This is what I thought the joke was, but it seems I was wrong.
mr-mitch
 
Posts: 480
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:56 pm UTC

Re: 0814: "Diode"

Postby tullavin » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:56 am UTC

Add yet again this web comic defines my last relationship...
tullavin
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:42 am UTC

Re: 0814: Diode

Postby gerardw » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:30 am UTC

Mr. Burke wrote:Also, the circuit isn't closed.

Closed through ground.
gerardw
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:39 am UTC

Re: 0814: Diode

Postby mjec » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:10 pm UTC

atteSmythe wrote:They're going to need more diodes if they want to rectify the situation.


This made me laugh.
For context: early-20s male born and living in Australia of UK [Norman]/USA [Western European Jewish] heritage. My blog.

My avatar isn't me, it's "Law Girl". I even did an xkcd ripoff about it one time. She's kind of like my version of nerd girl.
User avatar
mjec
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:29 am UTC
Location: au->tas->7005

Re: 0814: "Diode"

Postby BAReFOOt » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:37 pm UTC

As far as I understood the comic, it’s about the inequality of women treating men worse than the other way around, right? (If not, ignore the rest of this comment. Thanks. :))

It’s sad that most men still don’t get, that the reason women treat them that way in RL, is because the men let them. Most men seem to accept everything, out of fear of losing her. And then lose her to a “real man”, because she didn’t want a doormat. It’s our own damn fault. There is no inequality, except the one we allow to happen.
Guys… would you want a woman who is a doormat? I mean for a real relationship. Of course not. The ones that are hard to get… the ones that say no… those are the ones you want most, am I right?
See… that’s why saying no, not accepting everything, and leading the way is so attractive to women. And why saying yes out of fear of losing her is the worst thing you can do. :)

Oh, and the exact same thing is true for jobs too. This is the first thing they told me on my first job: Learn to say no! :) The more you put up with, the more shit you will get. Because they can. Simple.

And in both cases, the other side is not evil! It’s just efficient! :)
Everyone in the universe likes it to do little, and get more.
You are the one deciding your price.
User avatar
BAReFOOt
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:48 am UTC

Re: 0814: Diode

Postby EduardoLeon » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:49 pm UTC

Nyerguds wrote:Gah, people, stop calling it "alt" text. It isn't. It's "title" text.

No, you are wrong. It is the alt text.

Nyerguds wrote:The alt title text just says "Diode".

FTFY.
Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein!
EduardoLeon
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:26 am UTC
Location: Lima, Perú

Re: 0814: "Diode"

Postby Phrozt » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:11 pm UTC

BAReFOOt wrote:As far as I understood the comic, it’s about the inequality of women treating men worse than the other way around, right? (If not, ignore the rest of this comment. Thanks. :))

It’s sad that most men still don’t get, that the reason women treat them that way in RL, is because the men let them. Most men seem to accept everything, out of fear of losing her. And then lose her to a “real man”, because she didn’t want a doormat. It’s our own damn fault. There is no inequality, except the one we allow to happen.
Guys… would you want a woman who is a doormat? I mean for a real relationship. Of course not. The ones that are hard to get… the ones that say no… those are the ones you want most, am I right?
See… that’s why saying no, not accepting everything, and leading the way is so attractive to women. And why saying yes out of fear of losing her is the worst thing you can do. :)

Oh, and the exact same thing is true for jobs too. This is the first thing they told me on my first job: Learn to say no! :) The more you put up with, the more shit you will get. Because they can. Simple.

And in both cases, the other side is not evil! It’s just efficient! :)
Everyone in the universe likes it to do little, and get more.
You are the one deciding your price.


Ugh.. way to make a bad comic worse by over analyzing the crap out of it...
User avatar
Phrozt
 
Posts: 466
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:27 pm UTC

Re: 0814: "Diode"

Postby EduardoLeon » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:14 pm UTC

BAReFOOt wrote:It’s sad that most men still don’t get, that the reason women treat them that way in RL, is because the men let them. Most men seem to accept everything, out of fear of losing her. (...TL;DR...)

Alternative: Remember every time she has been unfair, until you have enough accumulated hatred. Start reminding her all the time of every single occasion when she has been a b*tch to you. Tell her she doesn't deserve you, yet you remain with her in an immense act of love. Begin a little crisis in your relationship every time you perceive she has wronged you, if only to get some information on how much she is willing to do to make up for her acts. Then use that knowledge to be psychologically abusive to her. If she complains, well, who has been the b*tch first?
Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein!
EduardoLeon
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:26 am UTC
Location: Lima, Perú

Re: 0814: "Diode"

Postby Stanistani » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:39 pm UTC

EduardoLeon wrote:
BAReFOOt wrote:It’s sad that most men still don’t get, that the reason women treat them that way in RL, is because the men let them. Most men seem to accept everything, out of fear of losing her. (...TL;DR...)

Alternative: Remember every time she has been unfair, until you have enough accumulated hatred. Start reminding her all the time of every single occasion when she has been a b*tch to you. Tell her she doesn't deserve you, yet you remain with her in an immense act of love. Begin a little crisis in your relationship every time you perceive she has wronged you, if only to get some information on how much she is willing to do to make up for her acts. Then use that knowledge to be psychologically abusive to her. If she complains, well, who has been the b*tch first?

Wow, a capacitor! :lol:
User avatar
Stanistani
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:13 pm UTC

Re: 0814: Diode

Postby melladh » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:41 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I fail to find it funny because it's not a particularly clever or funny joke. It's about as funny as "Man walks into a bar. Ouch".


Yeah, that's pretty funny :)
Image Image
melladh
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:06 pm UTC

Re: 0814: Diode

Postby Pifreak94 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:07 pm UTC

EduardoLeon wrote:
Nyerguds wrote:Gah, people, stop calling it "alt" text. It isn't. It's "title" text.

No, you are wrong. It is the alt text.

Nyerguds wrote:The alt title text just says "Diode".

FTFY.


Clearly a Wikipedia link greatly increases credibility.

http://i56.tinypic.com/jie6id.png

Or, you could just look at the source yourself.
Pifreak94
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:01 am UTC

Re: 0814: "Diode"

Postby jacog » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:09 pm UTC

Nikola Tesla, a dynamo with the ladies. (I am sure there there's a joke there somewhere)
User avatar
jacog
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:55 am UTC

Re: 0814: "Diode"

Postby neoliminal » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:09 pm UTC

Could be worse. Could have been a capacitor.
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/214255
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]
User avatar
neoliminal
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:39 pm UTC

Re: 0814: "Diode"

Postby neoliminal » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:10 pm UTC

jacog wrote:Nikola Tesla, a dynamo with the ladies. (I am sure there there's a joke there somewhere)



Only when they cornered him.
Spoiler:
Image
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/214255
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]
User avatar
neoliminal
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:39 pm UTC

Re: 0814: "Diode"

Postby Hungry_Myst » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:11 pm UTC

itsdrenthe wrote:Their relationship seems like it has a high potential of breakdown!

XD
:lol: Best reply in this thread.

No the comic isn't particularly funny, but like Solt said I don't think that being funny was Randalls intent. A relationship without adequate communication won't work, and eventually is bound to, well, breakdown.
User avatar
Hungry_Myst
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:12 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: 0814: Diode

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:14 pm UTC

Pifreak94 wrote:
EduardoLeon wrote:
Nyerguds wrote:Gah, people, stop calling it "alt" text. It isn't. It's "title" text.

No, you are wrong. It is the alt text.

Nyerguds wrote:The alt title text just says "Diode".

FTFY.


Clearly a Wikipedia link greatly increases credibility.

http://i56.tinypic.com/jie6id.png

Or, you could just look at the source yourself.


...

Yeah, I'm going to call it the Mousey Text from now on.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
 
Posts: 23018
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!

Re: 0814: "Diode"

Postby BenM » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:31 pm UTC

No one's pointed out that the title-text is deliberately ambiguous, and works regardless of who says it:
  • if it's the guy talking to the girl, it's literally true: she doesn't apologize, because his upset-ness doesn't get through.
  • if it's the girl talking to the guy, it's effectively true: she doesn't hear it, because his apology doesn't get through.

For me, the resonance between these two equally sad outcomes is what makes this comic.
BenM
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:25 pm UTC

Re: 0814: Diode

Postby x-geek » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:44 pm UTC

glasnt wrote:That's a big ass-diode.


MANUFACTURER'S WARNING:
Thank you for purchasing our product. Our Ass-Diode is designed to provide many years of quality service. Please observe the following precautions to ensure safe and successful installation.

* Observe proper polarity before installing Ass-Diode. Failure to do so could result in injury or death.
* Wear safety gear and ensure adequate ventilation.
* Do not install near sparks or open flame.
* Not compatible for use by homosexuals. Please see our line of Zener Ass-Diodes.
Last edited by x-geek on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:38 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
x-geek
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 0814: "Diode"

Postby Aic » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:13 pm UTC

Pretty sad. But a funny comparison, I think.
I do gud englisch. Also, yes, I'm a girl. Sorry.
Aic
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:57 am UTC

Re: 0814: "Diode"

Postby cyborg_572 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:13 pm UTC

It took me a while to notice the stealth pun in this comic. What's another word for accusations?
User avatar
cyborg_572
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:12 pm UTC
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: 0814: "Diode"

Postby djkjr » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:19 pm UTC

Comic, by definition, implies comedy, laughter or something humorous.
It seems though that the medium that "comics" exist in has altered the definition as it has progressed.
You can go into any "comic shop" and easily read a dozen "comics" that have no sense of hilarity at all.
I feel the same goes for "webcomic". It isn't necessarily supposed to be funny.
Again, as I've stated before, I don't all too often see the point of such heavy criticism when it comes to posting on the XKCD forum about how terrible or sad or unfunny XKCD is. If you don't like it so much, why continue to post on this fora? How constructive does anyone really think there forum criticism is going to be? I'm sure Mr. XKCD, a.k.a. Randall, doesn't care all too much about what is written about any one comic he's made from the forum.
Furthermore, who here has anything comparable to a very well known "webcomic" that they can personally claim. There's a reason why it's so known, because it plays on so many different levels and, in so doing, generates a wide fan base. I mean there was nothing funny about his really early posts, but they were interesting and thought provoking. An exercise of the medium. "Webcomics" do not have to be funny. Much like you don't have to color inside the lines.
Maybe I'm just missing something...?
But ehhhh, whatever. I'll probably just be seen as a troll for writing any of this anyway.

Needless to say, I thought the comic was funny/good because it played on a reality of relationships we see/experience/hear about all too often. I'm sorry other people didn't find it funny/good for their own reasons, but you can't please everyone all the time. I'm sure one of you "Diode" nay-sayers loved one that I didn't, so what's the problem? Why keep going on and on about it?

(I suppose the answer to that last question mirrors why I have the desire to express my opinion on the matter. Irony?)
War is Peace.
Freedom is Slavery.
Ignorance is Strength.
User avatar
djkjr
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:21 pm UTC
Location: All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

Re: 0814: "Diode"

Postby nealo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:50 pm UTC

Comics (from the Greek κωμικός, kōmikos "of or pertaining to comedy" from κῶμος - kōmos "revel, komos",[1] via the Latin cōmicus) is a graphic medium in which images convey a sequential narrative.

No mention there of having to be funny. Whilst humour may have been the most popular use of the particular medium it need not define it.

Does that mean News will become synonymous with depressing stories (if you don't count the filler at the end about a skateboarding gerbil)
nealo
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:47 pm UTC

Re: 0814: "Diode"

Postby neoliminal » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:12 pm UTC

djkjr wrote:Comic, by definition, implies comedy, laughter or something humorous.


English, living language, meanings change, word root can become completely reversed (re: bad circa 1960-70) to current usage or perverted (re: gay circa 1920s, now).
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/214255
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]
User avatar
neoliminal
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:39 pm UTC

Re: 0814: "Diode"

Postby djkjr » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:22 pm UTC

neoliminal wrote:
English, living language, meanings change, word root can become completely reversed (re: bad circa 1960-70) to current usage or perverted (re: gay circa 1920s, now).

Thank you for agreeing :)
War is Peace.
Freedom is Slavery.
Ignorance is Strength.
User avatar
djkjr
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:21 pm UTC
Location: All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

Re: 0814: "Diode"

Postby IronSoldier820 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:33 pm UTC

I'd like to point everyone to the description of XKCD up on top of the main page.

"A webcomic of romance,
sarcasm, math, and language."

Notice that humor isn't implied, it's simply derived from time to time. Not every comic has to be funny for it to be a good comic. That being said, this one actually made me kind of sad.
User avatar
IronSoldier820
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:14 pm UTC
Location: The Depths of Hell

PreviousNext

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Earthling on Mars and 27 guests