0815: "Mu"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

snowyowl

Re: 0815: "Mu"

Postby snowyowl » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:06 pm UTC

Gerino wrote:My desk chair has 4 legs, as in "no rotation at all".

The productivity actually is quite low. Therefore, I think that the graph should be falling much more sharply in the end.

Coefficient of friction = nearly infinity when compared to a rotating desk chair.
The graph looks pretty low at infinity.

I reckon that by flipping the graph horizontally, you get the graph of "quality of Internet connection" versus "Productivity". Too low, and you can barely do your job. Too high, and you spend your entire day on the xkcd fora.
The preceding comment is an automated response.

Remboooo

Re: 0815: Mu

Postby Remboooo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:20 pm UTC

Ghavrel wrote:
Watsisname wrote:If I hold my arms out when I start spinning, then draw them inward as I slow down, I can get more spins! <3

WARNING: The following post contains a classics major postulating about physics. Proceed with caution.

While you would get more spins than if you had held your arms out the whole time, I doubt you would get more than if you had kept them close to you from the start; you wouldn't be increasing angular momentum beyond that which you would have had in the arms-close-to-you-from-the-start scenario.

This theory assumes that the amount of kinetic energy you put in at the start has a fixed value. However, I find that it is actually the rotation speed that is limited - I can only move my legs so and so quickly - and thus when my arms are stretched out when spinning up, I increase the total amount of kinetic energy I can put in.

Pathogenyx

Postby Pathogenyx » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:27 pm UTC

Randall, get out of my ... desk chair !

I am somehow glad to know there are others adepts of desk chair whirling out there !

From the strip I can't tell if it spinning clockwise or counterclockwise ..

Do southern hemisphere spinners spin their chairs backward ? :roll:

The Origamist

Postby The Origamist » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:31 pm UTC

So for a sufficiently low coefficient of kinetic friction, you would get negative work done?
This signature intentionally left empty.

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:45 pm UTC

edbdqt wrote:I would posit that for sufficiently small COKF, productivity actually goes back to 0 due to the increasingly time consuming spinning and inability to actually invite people into contests.

Are you assuming that when CoKF=0, the complete lack of friction means the chair will keep spinning eternally?
No matter what high school Physics teaches anyone, one must also account for air resistance. The spinning person will still (albeit VERY slowly) lose speed.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:00 pm UTC

The Origamist wrote:So for a sufficiently low coefficient of kinetic friction, you would get negative work done?

Yes, as the mouse-over text explains: "As the CoKF approaches 0, productivity goes negative as you pull OTHER people into chair-spinning contests."
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

SorryBoringNickName

Postby SorryBoringNickName » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:03 pm UTC

I tried to spin on my chair...
And it hit the desk.
And I hit the floor.

Then I rofl'd. Literally.
Nothing to do, nowhere to go-oh

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:24 pm UTC

The Clinger wrote:I guess he couldn't type μ. Oh wait...

He may have been referring to the Taoist term.

nah.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:36 pm UTC

μs = Munited States
μk = Munited Kingdom.
I don't know what to do for you

StNowhere

Postby StNowhere » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:39 pm UTC

uncivlengr wrote:μs = Munited States
μk = Munited Kingdom.

Don't forget the μae - Munited Arab Emirates?

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:58 pm UTC

EVE Online: Daesis Wrack
Starcraft 2 (US): CosmicOsmo #465
Anarchy Online (RK2): Azzamis

Almost in register

Postby Almost in register » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:18 pm UTC

Seriously, make sure your titles are correct, LucasBrown. This includes quotation marks. I've had to correct every single one so far. ~~Felstaff

Do you know how ugly it is to have a message from a mod as the first thing you see in a thread? I don't understand why you don't just have a bot start the topic so it would be perfect every time. I know for a fact skilled people have offered to write one. Another benefit is we wouldn't have to put up with the comment the first poster is supposed to include so that he is somehow adding to the conversation. It's so rushed that he almost never does add anything but pointless drivel.

Quantum Sunshine

Postby Quantum Sunshine » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:23 pm UTC

Best comic in a long time. :mrgreen:
Sometimes, the best comics are the silliest.

StNowhere

Postby StNowhere » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:33 pm UTC

Almost in register wrote:
Seriously, make sure your titles are correct, LucasBrown. This includes quotation marks. I've had to correct every single one so far. ~~Felstaff

Do you know how ugly it is to have a message from a mod as the first thing you see in a thread? I don't understand why you don't just have a bot start the topic so it would be perfect every time. I know for a fact skilled people have offered to write one. Another benefit is we wouldn't have to put up with the comment the first poster is supposed to include so that he is somehow adding to the conversation. It's so rushed that he almost never does add anything but pointless drivel.

I definitely agree with this. Maybe the mods didn't intend for new comic posts to become such a race, but they have, and as long as it is a race, you're going to have shoddy workmanship in trying to get there first. Take away the race, and you can control the quality.

Scuttlemutt

Postby Scuttlemutt » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:05 pm UTC

I don't think that would be entirely true. While you won't have people racing to make the topic first, they'll just race to get the first post after the bot instead.

I guess it would help stop multiple topics cropping up, though.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:21 pm UTC

Better solution - I just start frying everything that doesn't have at least 100 words of commentary.

Everything.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:22 pm UTC

So, so true. Both directions. No swivel is not totally unproductive. However having a chair 2 feet too low (sofa used as an office chair, cos it broke. :( ) makes it approach zero quicker.
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

chrth

Postby chrth » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:22 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Better solution - I just start frying everything that doesn't have at least 100 words of commentary.

Everything.

You need 83 more words to save yourself.

StNowhere

Postby StNowhere » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:34 pm UTC

Scuttlemutt wrote:I don't think that would be entirely true. While you won't have people racing to make the topic first, they'll just race to get the first post after the bot instead.

I guess it would help stop multiple topics cropping up, though.

Well, no one's saying the first post after the bot can't be inane. Nor would anyone restrict the third, fourth, fifth, etc. But the mods seem to want a specific quality of post in a specific format for the lead post, and you're not going to get that if people are racing to be first. After that first post, you can make any kind of stupid post you like.

AdranGarrison

Postby AdranGarrison » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:35 pm UTC

Remboooo wrote:
Ghavrel wrote:
Watsisname wrote:If I hold my arms out when I start spinning, then draw them inward as I slow down, I can get more spins! <3

WARNING: The following post contains a classics major postulating about physics. Proceed with caution.

While you would get more spins than if you had held your arms out the whole time, I doubt you would get more than if you had kept them close to you from the start; you wouldn't be increasing angular momentum beyond that which you would have had in the arms-close-to-you-from-the-start scenario.

This theory assumes that the amount of kinetic energy you put in at the start has a fixed value. However, I find that it is actually the rotation speed that is limited - I can only move my legs so and so quickly - and thus when my arms are stretched out when spinning up, I increase the total amount of kinetic energy I can put in.

Actually, if the kinetic energy is fixed, it is always advantageous to start with your arms out and then bring them in shortly after the start (the exact moment in time when it is optimal to do so depends on the air friction, if you want to consider that). Since the work done by friction is a function only of position and not time, a given starting kinetic energy will always result in the same total angle of rotation (Work=Torque*theta). The only way to gain is by pulling your arms in, thus doing work in order to increase your total energy of rotation (you can't change your angular momentum with central forces, but you certainly can change your energy).

.... yeah... the science of chairspinning O_o

djkjr
Location: All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

Postby djkjr » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:58 pm UTC

chrth wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Better solution - I just start frying everything that doesn't have at least 100 words of commentary.

Everything.

Ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnngggggggggg

snowyowl wrote:I reckon that by flipping the graph horizontally, you get the graph of "quality of Internet connection" versus "Productivity". Too low, and you can barely do your job. Too high, and you spend your entire day on the xkcd fora.

New factor. Combine great "quality of internet connection" with "overzealous 'information management' " blocking every and any site that could elicit and work day joy and what do you get? An even larger drop in productivity as workers continue their search for different avenues of approach in order to pass by those "slow hours" (what other desk work hours are there?!)

aaaaannnnnnndddddd *swivel*!

(Nerf guns also fit nicely into the work day equation :twisted:)
War is Peace.
Freedom is Slavery.
Ignorance is Strength.

melladh

Postby melladh » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:45 pm UTC

I'm getting some very odd behavior from this comic at the moment, all I see is a very pixely arrow and a very pixely "productivity" text. :(
Image Image

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:20 pm UTC

chrth wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Better solution - I just start frying everything that doesn't have at least 100 words of commentary.
Everything.
Jokes stop working when you explain them.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Uninfinity

Postby Uninfinity » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:51 pm UTC

Not my favorite pokemon. XP

Halborr

Postby Halborr » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:07 pm UTC

I had to register just for this GOOMHR moment... We learned about coefficients of friction in college physics today. Although I'm glad it's so, because I understand it!

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:46 pm UTC

I got a little over 5.5 rotations on my chair here at home. Me likes it.
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:49 pm UTC

Almost in register wrote:I don't understand why you don't just have a bot start the topic so it would be perfect every time. I know for a fact skilled people have offered to write one.

I remember reading something along the lines of "Don't just offer to write a bot, go ahead and write one. Test it somewhere else first. If it works, we'll consider it." but I can't seem to find where it was.
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:10 am UTC

Cloud Walker wrote:I got a little over 5.5 rotations on my chair here at home. Me likes it.

15 spins. Beat that.

*in unrelated news, my stomach's spin capacity seems to be around 70.
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:48 am UTC

Nic the Man

Postby Nic the Man » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:24 am UTC

q) Why'd the cat fall off the roof
a) it didn't have enough [imath]\mu[/imath]

It frustrates me that Olympus camera company spell their [imath]\mu[/imath] range "mju"

Nyerguds

Postby Nyerguds » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:23 am UTC

LucasBrown wrote:I can relate strongly to the left half of the graph, but in my experience, the tapering off on the right is nonexistent.

Seriously? It's really annoying to be in a desk chair that's supposed to rotate but doesn't do so property...

Though yeah, when it goes towards infinity it actually increases again, indicating chairs that aren't supposed to rotate at all.

On that topic, my chair is "none of the above"... it rotates, but springs back into forward position when you stop trying to hold it in a different position. Its resistance increases as it goes towards 180 degrees, and decreases again when you turn on towards forward position again. Really annoying, since first turning away from the desk and then getting up guarantees getting slapped on the behind by the back of the seat, as it rotates back into default position.

Tass

Postby Tass » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:21 pm UTC

Nic the Man wrote:It frustrates me that Olympus camera company spell their [imath]\mu[/imath] range "mju"

Yeah, it should be mü or my.

zorro226

Postby zorro226 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:18 pm UTC

Dangit, I went on here to procrastinate from my physics homework because I didn't want to do a problem involving mu. Looks like I'll go back to that, then...

jakelin

Postby jakelin » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:47 pm UTC

black_hat_guy wrote:
Jolterr wrote:
ARandomDude wrote:I feel like the right side should drop a lot faster...

Why? You can still work in a chair that can't move.

Maybe if your chair doesn't move enough you're less willing to work and prefer to just goof off in ways other than spinning your chair.

I definatly feel I work best in a mediumly spinny chair
If it's too high than you can waste time tipping chair side to side, backward, trying to balance, and such.

agelessdrifter

Postby agelessdrifter » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:49 pm UTC

I would have sworn this comic had already been made. Was there another very similar comic at some point, or at least one dealing with desk chairs that I might be confusing it with?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:03 pm UTC

agelessdrifter wrote:I would have sworn this comic had already been made. Was there another very similar comic at some point, or at least one dealing with desk chairs that I might be confusing it with?

Compiling?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

VaebnKehn

Postby VaebnKehn » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:30 pm UTC

um.... Isn't the coefficient of friction always between 0 and 1?

StNowhere

Postby StNowhere » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:13 pm UTC

VaebnKehn wrote:um.... Isn't the coefficient of friction always between 0 and 1?

No. Under most conditions, it probably will be, but it is not restricted to be less than 1.

The Abominable Cellist

Postby The Abominable Cellist » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:46 am UTC

Fuck! I thought the title was something to do with Discordia.
Damn my association of everything with my religion!

inund8

Postby inund8 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:34 pm UTC

This comic goes double if the floor is even slightly sloped

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”