0816: "Applied Math"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

LucasBrown

0816: "Applied Math"

Postby LucasBrown » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:01 am UTC

Alt text: "Dear Reader: Enclosed is a check for ninety-eight cents. Using your work, I have proven that this equals the amount you requested."

The principle of explosion returns.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Re: 0816: Applied Math

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:03 am UTC

A logical proof that disproves logic? How interesting!

HI JOEE!
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

black_hat_guy

Postby black_hat_guy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:04 am UTC

Only 1,317,408 errors?
Billy was a chemist.
He isn't any more.
What he thought was H2O
was H2SO4.

Ghavrel

Postby Ghavrel » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:04 am UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:A logical proof that disproves logic? How interesting!

HI JOEE!

Today, mes amis, I've ordered the metaphysics special with a side of Gödel's incompleteness theorems. I expect our discussion will be as lively as ever.
"Si ad naturam vives, numquam eris pauper; si ad opiniones, numquam eris dives."
Live rightly and you shall never be poor; live for fame and you shall never have wealth.
~Epicurus, via Seneca

Uninfinity

Postby Uninfinity » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:04 am UTC

I'll bet she divided by zero somewhere in there... -_-

black_hat_guy

Postby black_hat_guy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:05 am UTC

Randall hasn't updated the >| button yet.
Edit: Now he has.
Last edited by black_hat_guy on Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Billy was a chemist.
He isn't any more.
What he thought was H2O
was H2SO4.

bytbox

Postby bytbox » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:05 am UTC

A flowchart? Seriously? Real mathematicians use 4pt serif font when writing on the blackboard. Because secretly, it's all done with tex. (Insert comment about knuth here.)

mikebolt

Postby mikebolt » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:05 am UTC

Alright, I need an explanation. Did the book author promise to send someone money if they found errors in his/her book?

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:06 am UTC

HI JOEE x INFINITY

Also, the pricely sum of 2^8 x 10-2 per error is nice.

edit: wow, I only just read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knuth_reward_check from the link below.. that man is awesome.
Last edited by glasnt on Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:26 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

bytbox

Postby bytbox » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:06 am UTC

black_hat_guy wrote:Randall hasn't updated the >| button yet.

He has not changed it. And he will not. It points to xkcd.com/, not any specific number. So it is /always/ up-to-date.

bytbox

Postby bytbox » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:08 am UTC

mikebolt wrote:Alright, I need an explanation. Did the book author promise to send someone money if they found errors in his/her book?

Yup. Donald Knuth's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_of_Computer_Programming

Ghavrel

Postby Ghavrel » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:08 am UTC

mikebolt wrote:Alright, I need an explanation. Did the book author promise to send someone money if they found errors in his/her book?

This isn't restricted to mathematics; my classics professors will send in grammar errors and assorted typos that they catch in our references.
"Si ad naturam vives, numquam eris pauper; si ad opiniones, numquam eris dives."
Live rightly and you shall never be poor; live for fame and you shall never have wealth.
~Epicurus, via Seneca

calico

Postby calico » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:09 am UTC

Of course, since we all know $0.98 is the same thing as $0.098, that check's not worth the paper it's printed on.
Oh no, I've said too much; I haven't said enough

black_hat_guy

Postby black_hat_guy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:09 am UTC

bytbox wrote:
black_hat_guy wrote:Randall hasn't updated the >| button yet.

He has not changed it. And he will not. It points to xkcd.com/, not any specific number. So it is /always/ up-to-date.

That's a good point. I've come to expect that xkcd.com has the latest comic on it.
Billy was a chemist.
He isn't any more.
What he thought was H2O
was H2SO4.

Turing Machine

Postby Turing Machine » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:13 am UTC

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/dialetheism/

seriously not terribly high-level logic here, guy

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:14 am UTC

Inb4 .02 cents!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

SocialSceneRepairman

Postby SocialSceneRepairman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:15 am UTC

Turing Machine wrote:http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/dialetheism/

The point is that it could be derived from an arbitrary P with the bare minimum of assumptions used in most useful problems, thus proving any P impossible.

Of course, hasn't it been proven that such a proof is impossible?

Finally, keep in mind that the Incompleteness Theorem, as the name suggests, showed only that a system cannot be both complete and consistent, that is to say, it can't precisely address every question that could possibly be posed to it (which would have to include "will this system answer 'no' to this question?") without running into an inconsistency.

black_hat_guy

Postby black_hat_guy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:21 am UTC

Apparent inconsistency of logic arises from assuming logic is complete. Logic is not complete since it's consistent.
Billy was a chemist.
He isn't any more.
What he thought was H2O
was H2SO4.

memcginn

Postby memcginn » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:25 am UTC

Man, I walked in to say that Knuth proved that the reader requested an amount of money equal to 98 cents by the reason of that other comic where assuming contradictory premises led to any true conclusion the thinker liked.

Um...oh dear, how to contribute now...? I've got it! Poorly-executed computer science joke!

So, I notice that the conclusion here is P and not-P. Now, we have a pretty good guess that P != NP, but does not-P = NP?
while (!spoon) {
fork();
}

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:27 am UTC

This just made me realize that there should be a Knuth Facts website to accompany the Schneier one. :P

The man's a legend.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

black_hat_guy

Postby black_hat_guy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:29 am UTC

memcginn wrote:Man, I walked in to say that Knuth proved that the reader requested an amount of money equal to 98 cents by the reason of that other comic where assuming contradictory premises led to any true conclusion the thinker liked.

Um...oh dear, how to contribute now...? I've got it! Poorly-executed computer science joke!

So, I notice that the conclusion here is P and not-P. Now, we have a pretty good guess that P != NP, but does not-P = NP?

If P!=NP, then that must mean P=NP!
Billy was a chemist.
He isn't any more.
What he thought was H2O
was H2SO4.

StClair

Postby StClair » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:30 am UTC

I expect she'll be killed at a zebra crossing.

black_hat_guy

Postby black_hat_guy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:34 am UTC

StClair wrote:I expect she'll be killed at a zebra crossing.

Yes. And Donald Knuth will disappear in a puff of logic. :-(
Billy was a chemist.
He isn't any more.
What he thought was H2O
was H2SO4.

DanielLC

Postby DanielLC » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:56 am UTC

I notice she would have gotten nearly twice as much money by pointing out that she proved all of the Millennium Prize Problems. In any case, I'm sure they'd consider that more important than any of them, and the should at least give her one million-dollar prize.

Shouldn't she use a proof checker? I wouldn't trust a human with something like that. Or just one proof checker for that matter.

rhhardin

Postby rhhardin » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:00 am UTC

Women start from the conclusion and work backwards.

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:02 am UTC

black_hat_guy wrote:
StClair wrote:I expect she'll be killed at a zebra crossing.

Yes. And Donald Knuth will disappear in a puff of logic. :-(

that makes little sense if you're american and dont know that zebra crossing is crosswalk.
Thats what I have taken away from this topic...
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:04 am UTC

The title text burnt my cheese.
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

exploto

Postby exploto » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:11 am UTC

Godel's theorem comes in two parts: one implies that predicate logic is incomplete. It's actually the second part that's weirder, it says that any sufficiently powerful axiom system CANNOT prove itself to be CONSISTENT! Yes I'm serious. It's really weird. But let's say even if a system COULD prove itself consistent: this wouldn't actually mean anything, because it might still be an inconsistent system, since inconsistent systems CAN prove themselves to be consistent, it's just that they can also prove themselves to be inconsistent, and all sorts of other contradictions. There IS no proof, and cannot be, that second order predicate logic will never prove 1 = 0 and A = not A, although (hopefully?) it is true. Weird. http://everything2.com/title/Godel%2527 ... e+syllable you might want to check out the wikipdedia page also. And here's a talk I just found going into what it would actually mean if the current foundations of mathematics were to be found inconsistent! (Which actually happened once before when it was attempted to build up mathematics from naive set theory which lead to russel's paradox. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russel%27s_paradox)

poizan42

Postby poizan42 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:40 am UTC

SocialSceneRepairman wrote:Of course, hasn't it been proven that such a proof is impossible?

So tell me, what would you actually use to make such a proof?

mafaraxas

Postby mafaraxas » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:13 am UTC

To be a small sticker on notation:

where it says [imath]P \Lambda \bar{P}[/imath], what you probably meant, the adjoint (conjugate transpose for finite-dimensional spaces), is usually written [imath]P^*[/imath] rather than [imath]\bar{P}[/imath] to distinguish it from only doing complex conjugate (without doing transpose) of all the elements in the matrix. So [imath]P \Lambda P^*[/imath] is how you usually see it. Unless this was the hidden joke and Randall was trying to troll mathematicians or something.

Also I don't really see what the comic has to do with applied math at all. Consistency of logic systems is about as far from applied math as you can get (restricting yourself to the realm of math). Unless this is part of the joke too? I don't know.

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:30 am UTC

mafaraxas wrote:Also I don't really see what the comic has to do with applied math at all.

The application is getting the $3,372,564.48.
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

DT_

Postby DT_ » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:37 am UTC

mafaraxas wrote:To be a small sticker on notation:

where it says [imath]P \Lambda \bar{P}[/imath], what you probably meant, the adjoint (conjugate transpose for finite-dimensional spaces), is usually written [imath]P^*[/imath] rather than [imath]\bar{P}[/imath] to distinguish it from only doing complex conjugate (without doing transpose) of all the elements in the matrix. So [imath]P \Lambda P^*[/imath] is how you usually see it. Unless this was the hidden joke and Randall was trying to troll mathematicians or something.

Also I don't really see what the comic has to do with applied math at all. Consistency of logic systems is about as far from applied math as you can get (restricting yourself to the realm of math). Unless this is part of the joke too? I don't know.

P is a proposition, not a matrix. The girl has proved "P and not P."

SW15243

Postby SW15243 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:04 am UTC

I was under the impression that The Art of Computer Programming was in italics because the writer was referring to the very foundations of computer programming, and thus, based on the gravity of this revelation, was using italics for emphasis!

I see now that it's a book. Also, I know what the deal is with the cheque. Much funnier now.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Re: 0816: "Applied Math"

Postby Yakk » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:40 am UTC

I had a burning cheese problem with this one.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

NumberFourtyThree

Postby NumberFourtyThree » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:04 am UTC

SocialSceneRepairman wrote:Of course, hasn't it been proven that such a proof is impossible?

You forget the subject. If logic itself is inconsistent, then an apparently solid proof that something can't be proven might be also provably false, as you could prove contradictory and false things. By the very nature of the question to prove that such a proof is impossible would be irrelevant as the production of such a proof would show that the proof of its inability to be proved was invalid.

A more troubling objection is that all proofs rely on basic logic, so such a proof of logic's invalidity would thus prove itself to be invalid and unable to be relied on to prove anything, including logic being invalid.
The world is imperfect because it has to be. If everything were perfectly fair and without problems we would all live the exact same pointless life, with no possible meaning to it.

BioTronic

Postby BioTronic » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:30 am UTC

Of course. But it's also been proven that such a proof is possible.

Waylah

Postby Waylah » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:21 pm UTC

Turing Machine wrote:http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/dialetheism/

I was reading that link, and I got down to

(5) (5) is false, or neither true nor false, or the fourth thing.

And that's still supposed to be paradoxical, but I don't see how. Why can't 'the fourth thing' be a true thing? In which case, (5) is the fourth thing, and true. Which is not paradoxical.

Surely it would only be paradoxical if it was
(5) (5) is false, AND neither true nor false, or the fourth thing
or any other arrangement that says it can't be the fourth thing and true. Hahaha, what about
(5) (5) is false, or neither true nor false, or a paradox

Ezbez

Postby Ezbez » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:48 pm UTC

Assume such a proof exists. Then P and not P. Contradiction. Therefore, no such proof exists.

fvieira

Postby fvieira » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:26 pm UTC

Assume such a proof exists. Then P and not P. Contradiction. Therefore, no such proof exists.

If you assume such a proof exists, that is, that logic is invalid, then you can't use logic to make the rest of your proof, can you?

ihope127

Postby ihope127 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:05 pm UTC

Ezbez wrote:

It happens that "P is provable; therefore, P is true" is not valid mathematical reasoning. In fact, adding this as an axiom to our systems of logic would make them inconsistent.
There is a significant chance that an artificial intelligence created within the next few decades will not value humanity and therefore will treat us as we treat animals. It would be awesome if xkcd mentioned this.
----
Find me on freenode as uorygl.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”