0818: "Illness"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mattbob

Re: 0818: "Illness"

Postby mattbob » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:48 am UTC

This is sad and all, but why make it into a comic? Randy just could have put a notice on the top of the site, and reference the blag for more info about it. And what else confuses me is that even though he's not working on a schedule...he's still going to put up stuff every M/W/F That doesn't make much sense. I know he's apparently not going to do comics, and doing drawings instead, but wouldn't drawings take even more time than a comic? That would defeat the purpose of lessening one's workload.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:04 am UTC

I think the nuance everyone is overlooking is that just because he's not posting a comic as per his regular schedule does not necessarily mean, per se, that he's going to refrain from posting a drawing of some sort (possible humorous, e.g. a notebook margin doodle; or non-humorous yet nevertheless interesting, such as a bit of handwritten, and ergo scanned and posted by his sysadmin et al, poetry) every Monday/Wednesday/Friday, i.e. [several more paragraphs of overly compound sentences overanalyzing the distinction between temporarily suspending from the comic schedule entirely and posting regularly scheduled filler in stead of the regularly scheduled comic].

(For the slow kids in the audience, this is more of that "dry wit" people have been exercising earlier in this thread, mixed with some self-parody and absurdism. It's probably failed miserably by this point, but it sounded funny when I started writing it...)
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:47 am UTC

bmonk wrote:Updated rollover text:

<3 If there's anything you can do, I'll let you know. For the moment, any simple distracting online games sent to sick@xkcd.com will not go unappreciated [EDIT: Holy crap 2,700 games before noon. I love you guys; thank you. They will be passed along and played by us all.]

Somehow, I'm not the least bit surprised. Personally, I sent him Psychopath, which I think will appeal to his fondness for puzzles.

Edit: I successfully eradicated humanity with a parasite. From this experience, I have learned that we should not be worried about an epidemic from something like HIV or bird flu, which already have known treatments, but rather from an unknown disease which spreads completely unnoticed because it has no symptoms. Then it will gradually infect every human being on the planet, still with no symptoms. Once all of humanity is infected, it will simultaneously evolve everywhere on Earth to become a vicious killer, literally decimating the population overnight, because that's how evolution works.

Actually, I'm somehow comforted that the most dangerous strategy for this disease simulation is also completely unrealistic for an actual disease.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

2 tanners

Postby 2 tanners » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:56 am UTC

I had to finally register, instead of laughing and lurking.

Randall, I wish you and yours well. Good health and Godspeed.

2 tanners

I registered. Why would I need a sig too? Oops.

midian

Postby midian » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:11 am UTC

feeling really guilty as read the blag and didn't post my best wishes. didn't think you'd be reading them all. now i read that you have passed the wishes on. [shrug]

sorry. please give my best wishes to your family through this difficult time. sincerely & heartfelt.

i really enjoy your blag and strip. thnak you.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:39 am UTC

mattbob wrote:This is sad and all, but why make it into a comic? Randy just could have put a notice on the top of the site, and reference the blag for more info about it.

What? What difference does it make? He made it a comic so that it would be more visible. It's not really hurting things.
And what else confuses me is that even though he's not working on a schedule...he's still going to put up stuff every M/W/F That doesn't make much sense. I know he's apparently not going to do comics, and doing drawings instead, but wouldn't drawings take even more time than a comic? That would defeat the purpose of lessening one's workload.

From my understanding, Davean is going to put up old drawings Randall already made. Randall may also throw up an odd comic or two, or maybe something cool he found on the web?
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Wallydraigle

Postby Wallydraigle » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:11 pm UTC

Whenever someone announces a mystery illness I always just assume it's syphilis Image

addams

Postby addams » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:56 pm UTC

Yeah. Me, too.

Be well. Take good care.
I am just one of the many that you have touched with humor.
I am fan # X+1.
Just one Fibonacci number that lends its self to the spiral.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

fimzo

Postby fimzo » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:34 pm UTC

Not knowing you, It seems akward to make a personal post to you. And since you probably don't have time to read through every post here (which is completely understandable), I doubt you'll see this. But despite that, I'll say that hope your family's illness goes away soon, and not just so you can return to more regular posting. I won't send any flash games, as you probably have more than enough already. Get well soon!
-Fimzo

StNowhere

Postby StNowhere » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:01 pm UTC

Wallydraigle wrote:Whenever someone announces a mystery illness I always just assume it's not lupus.

FTFY.

Bunnybeater

Postby Bunnybeater » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:04 pm UTC

LucasBrown wrote:Games like Manufactoria?

Fuck you, I was going to get some work done tonight.

TomPace101

Postby TomPace101 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:38 pm UTC

Thanks very much for the cool ideas and humor. Thanks also for the honesty and transparency regarding this situation. Respect++
Here's hoping things get better for all involved.

tris

Postby tris » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:33 am UTC

I have read XKCD for years and never felt it necessary to join a thing to discuss a thing. I joined just now as I've just seen this particular (comic? notice?) and felt a need to express my deepest sympathies and hopes for a positive outcome. This is not my area of strength, so I hope none of that was offensive. All the best wishes from Ireland - T

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:30 am UTC

Bunnybeater wrote:

Tonight may be too late, but I Installed Flash under a limited-user account I don't use for day-to day stuff. As a result, that game simply says:

Manufactoria - FREE online game - Jay is Games wrote:Click here to download plugin.

Off to do something useful ;)
Did you get the number on that truck?

skeptical scientist

Postby skeptical scientist » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:39 am UTC

Bunnybeater wrote:

Heh, I know the feeling. So far my favorite is the one that is supposed to accept any number of reds, followed by an equal number of blues. On its last test, it took 2 minutes for the robot to go through the machine!
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

Waterhouse

Postby Waterhouse » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:09 pm UTC

Praying that disease
Will leave the ones you love and
Never come again.

ProfMoxie

Postby ProfMoxie » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:22 pm UTC

Sorry about that, man. Best wishes and hope whomever is ill recovers soon. XKCD has become an increasingly utilized tool in my classes. Your effort and knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Klayman

Postby Klayman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:50 pm UTC

Waterhouse wrote:Praying that disease
Never come again.

That was an acrostic haiku. Impressive.

Paprika

Postby Paprika » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:22 pm UTC

Klayman wrote:
Waterhouse wrote:Praying that disease
Never come again.

That was an acrostic haiku. Impressive.

It's a quote from the song "On the Radio" by Regina Spektor.
3.1416 and All That

Rowadanr
Location: Living in my solar dome on a platform in... somerset.

Postby Rowadanr » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:05 pm UTC

I'm going to add what I can to the substantial pool of general goodwill and hope that's already built up for ye and your family, Randall.

Also, what with 2,700 coming in on the first day, I'm geussing somewhere in there will be Gravitex 2 (unbe-effing-leviably addictive after a couple of levels) But I thought I ought to throw it out there just in case (and in case any forumites haven't seen it yet)
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.
- John Cage

Werewolf

Postby Werewolf » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:42 am UTC

I'm tired and do cannot grasp the concept of Manufactura. The machine I build, which robots is it supposed to let through? All of them? The ones with a specific colour pattern that yet alludes me?

Bunnybeater

Postby Bunnybeater » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:20 am UTC

skeptical scientist wrote:
Bunnybeater wrote:

Heh, I know the feeling. So far my favorite is the one that is supposed to accept any number of reds, followed by an equal number of blues. On its last test, it took 2 minutes for the robot to go through the machine!

It doesn't help that I am one of those liberal-arts majors who runs off to Wikipedia any time the strip involves science/technology/Feynman.

On the plus side, I now have a working knowledge of what binary actually is.

And yeah. Last night I had a dream that Randall was still posting comics after this one, but they were all very depressing and the forums were full of people becoming suicidal.

oddtail

Postby oddtail » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:23 am UTC

Trying to express sympathy and warm feelings for a complete stranger can only sound dry, insincere, rude or creepy. So I won't.

I still send my sincere best wishes to you, Randall, if you happen to be reading this.

thanksbastards

Postby thanksbastards » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:07 am UTC

i assume he has already defeated the beast that is notpr0n, so i won't bother sending it along, but does anyone know what that thing did with my life andtime? i could use some of it back, got some shit due at 8

skeptical scientist

Postby skeptical scientist » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:41 am UTC

Okay, I have now completely finished Manufactoria. Time to get some work done.

The hardest two levels, imo, were "Metatron" and "Academics!" which took me 141 and 121 pieces, respectively. Those were the only two levels where squeezing into the allotted space was an issue.

susanrhill2000

Postby susanrhill2000 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:32 pm UTC

Hey I just wanted to say that I recently had to deal with a very terrible family illness and every night when I came home from the hospital I read xkcd for a while - it made all the difference in the world. So thanks. I hope you are able to find something as clever and entertaining to keep your sanity. Atl text *I considered looking for a site to send you to, but realized that would alert your readers to the competition and I thought wrecking your outlet seemed a bit salt in the wound..kno? (not that there are any others....but...)*

dawolf

Postby dawolf » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:03 pm UTC

hope the family member gets well soon Randall.

JustinR1015

Postby JustinR1015 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:35 pm UTC

I'm a long time comic viewer, and I just wanted to pop in to give my best wishes to Randall and his family. Hope everything turns out well.

Aoife

Postby Aoife » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:48 pm UTC

XKCD has always either made me laugh or taught me something (sometimes both!)

Very sorry to hear about the family illness, Randall. Do whatever you need to do till things are better, don't feel you need to keep this up.

I'm a relatively new reader anyway, so still have a lot of Archive to trawl through! :wink:

Take care, and best wishes to your family,

A.

seemomster

Postby seemomster » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:10 am UTC

Randall--

Best of luck to you and yours. I hope whomever is ill heals soonest. Thank you for the delight you've given this less-than-math-y crone.

dafuuu

Postby dafuuu » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:54 am UTC

I first came across this site a year or two ago, and have been checking back on it ever since. Intellectual humor with a dash of romance seemed really cool, and I was always fond of stick figure artwork for some reason. My favorite comic is the one with the girl doing the Fibonacci sequence and the ending line being "I don't know what I did to deserve you, but it couldn't have possibly been enough." When I read the 2nd to latest comic, I felt compelled to sign up on the forums to say:

I'm really sorry to hear about the illness in the family, and sincerely wish the best for Randall and his family.

Rilian

Postby Rilian » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:14 am UTC

I don't read his blag. I was like wtf. He could have just skipped this and gone straight to the "comics in under five minutes". Those are funny.
And I'm -2.

Dvandemon

Postby Dvandemon » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:55 am UTC

"family illness"? Does that mean a bug passed around in his families or some sort of genetic thing?
Spoiler:
from canada, SirMustapha etc. WHO THE FUCK SAID YOUR OPINION MATTERS???!?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:38 am UTC

Dvandemon wrote:"family illness"? Does that mean a bug passed around in his families or some sort of genetic thing?

It just means someone in his family is ill.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

webheads

Postby webheads » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:26 pm UTC

Wishing the best of health to everyone, and utilizing my awesome long-distance aura-healing massage therapy skills to help.

(Note: therapy not covered by most HMOs)

spookie

Postby spookie » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:47 am UTC

Randall,

Being rather older than you, I've been in the "family illness" position on several occasion. Take care of your self and be easy.

ClassTax

Postby ClassTax » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:07 am UTC

Ghavrel wrote:It's pretty impressive that he's only missed one for as long as I've been checking in. Well wishes, &c!

Where do you believe he missed one? lol

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”