0819: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 1"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

manveruppd

Re: 0819: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 1"

Postby manveruppd » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:02 pm UTC

I reckon Wagner's Ring Cycle is powered entirely by sonic energy: he's got an orchestra running after him playing Ride of the Valkyries (or maybe the Siegfried Idyll if he wants to go slowly). If they ever fall silent he'll run out of steam.

hatten

Postby hatten » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:29 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
ellenmaclean wrote:I appreciate that Mr. Munroe is continue to amuse us all while going through personal struggles. OBVIOUSLY strips done in five minutes will not have the same level of thought and detail, so I hope people will be classy enough to lay off the criticism.

Why? Randall chose to publish them, he wasn't forced to do so; it's subject to criticism as much as anything else he posts.

I also think that, for "5 minute comics", they're bizarrely up to par. So, how much time does he spend on his actual comics? 10 minutes each? Worse: how much time does he spend actually coming up with the jokes and developing them? The ONLY difference between the comics posted today and the previous ones are that the lines are more squiggly, that's it.

The difference is in what the joke is about, if you want comics that are easy to "get", you shouldn't read xkcd, it's goal is more or less to create as obscure jokes as possible, which are hilarious for those that get it. I can find plenty of webcomics serving comics easy to digest, which will always be good, but xkcd wins _sometimes_, I certainly don't get them every time, but when I do get them at the first glance, they are hilarious, and way better than any other webcomic.

Do you guys think it took him 20 minutes for the map of internet communities? The giant Circuit Diagram?

I think that if he always gave us 5 at a time, everybody would laugh, as it's always at least one that they'll get.

black_beret_guy

Postby black_beret_guy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:34 pm UTC

This seriously needed BLACK HAT GUY.

StNowhere

Postby StNowhere » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:00 pm UTC

hatten wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:
ellenmaclean wrote:I appreciate that Mr. Munroe is continue to amuse us all while going through personal struggles. OBVIOUSLY strips done in five minutes will not have the same level of thought and detail, so I hope people will be classy enough to lay off the criticism.

Why? Randall chose to publish them, he wasn't forced to do so; it's subject to criticism as much as anything else he posts.

I also think that, for "5 minute comics", they're bizarrely up to par. So, how much time does he spend on his actual comics? 10 minutes each? Worse: how much time does he spend actually coming up with the jokes and developing them? The ONLY difference between the comics posted today and the previous ones are that the lines are more squiggly, that's it.

The difference is in what the joke is about, if you want comics that are easy to "get", you shouldn't read xkcd, it's goal is more or less to create as obscure jokes as possible, which are hilarious for those that get it. I can find plenty of webcomics serving comics easy to digest, which will always be good, but xkcd wins _sometimes_, I certainly don't get them every time, but when I do get them at the first glance, they are hilarious, and way better than any other webcomic.

Do you guys think it took him 20 minutes for the map of internet communities? The giant Circuit Diagram?

I think that if he always gave us 5 at a time, everybody would laugh, as it's always at least one that they'll get.

So, are you saying XKCD is only really good if it's complicated, elitist and alienates a large portion of its audience? Yeah, I think this is what may be making SirMustapha angry lately. A joke doesn't have to be esoteric to an extreme to be clever; in fact, the most clever ones (IMO) are those that are immediately accessible on one level, then take on new meaning as you revisit them with a little more knowledge behind you. Your view broadens, and you begin to see nuance that wasn't there before. If you want to be an elitist, feel free to publish your oh-so-witty jokes as an addendum to your most recent evo-psych journal article.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:08 pm UTC

StNowhere wrote:So, are you saying XKCD is only really good if it's complicated, elitist and alienates a large portion of its audience? Yeah, I think this is what may be making SirMustapha angry lately.

Yes, that is by far one of the biggest offences, and I agree that the fanbase may play a big role in that. xkcd does feature obscure jokes, but it's something else to deliberately make your jokes more obscure just to please people who desperately need to show themselves as "smart". xkcd has successfully become a shiny badge for the "intelligent people of the Internet" to wear and show off, and Randall is actively collaborating to that.

But there is another problem. See, if you've got a vague idea for a joke in your mind, you may informally describe it to yourself or to an editor as "so, this girl manages to prove that logic is wrong", for example. You may try now to work on a webcomic and flesh out that idea into something that causes an impact, that drags the reader into that completely absurd idea and makes him ready to accept what comes next. Just imagine, if someone proved that the logic we use nowadays is wrong, what do you think would happen? How would people react to it? Would it cause a scandal? Would the academia try to keep that discovery away from people? Imagine, goddamit!Imagine? Randall doesn't need that: he just scribbles down some panels in which a nondescript woman tells another nondescript woman "Wow. You've shown the inconsistency and invalidity of logic itself."

Really? Is THAT how you drag a reader into your story?

Imagine if he were to direct a film?

SPARTACUS, by Randall Munroe

Scene 1:

SOLDIER: Wow. There are a bunch of slaves out there claiming they are Spartacus.

avocadohead

Postby avocadohead » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:13 pm UTC

brutesquad wrote:Mozart wrote the Magic Flute, not Bach. Just sayin'

Considering that Stick-Bach also wears Stick-Beethoven's hairstyle, we can put him nicking the Magic Flute down to artistic licence.

fimzo

Postby fimzo » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:34 pm UTC

These are some of his better recent comics, in my opinion. Ring cycle was great! I'm not sure I'd like them as the only thing here, but I'm far from complaining.
-Fimzo

MSTK

Postby MSTK » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:04 pm UTC

I wish Randall would one day draw music notes with properly oriented stems. Regardless, his comics are consistently amazing.

compro01

Postby compro01 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:45 am UTC

Platypodes wrote:I tried the search the other way around--Googled "Down's Syndrome," looked at several of the top results, clicked through (when applicable) to the pages with names like "About Down's Syndrome" and "What causes Down's Syndrome," and did a find-on-page for "TriG" and "Tri-G." Neither one came up. That doesn't prove that nobody ever refers to Down's as TriG, but it does show that it's quite possible to read about it without encountering that term.
(

what you're looking for is trisomy G, which refers to the cause (3 copies of the same chromosome, specifically 21) and the order in which it was identified (7th).

Ghavrel

Postby Ghavrel » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:52 am UTC

compro01 wrote:what you're looking for is trisomy G, which refers to the cause (3 copies of the same chromosome, specifically 21) and the order in which it was identified (7th).

Yes, this is not in dispute. But the discussion at hand is whether the phrase "trisomy G" is ever shortened to "tri G," and, if so, whether Ms. Palin consciously named Trig, her child who was pre-natally diagnosed with this defect, after said disorder.
"Si ad naturam vives, numquam eris pauper; si ad opiniones, numquam eris dives."
Live rightly and you shall never be poor; live for fame and you shall never have wealth.
~Epicurus, via Seneca

Stanistani

Postby Stanistani » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:56 am UTC

Ghavrel wrote:
compro01 wrote:what you're looking for is trisomy G, which refers to the cause (3 copies of the same chromosome, specifically 21) and the order in which it was identified (7th).

Yes, this is not in dispute. But the discussion at hand is whether the phrase "trisomy G" is ever shortened to "tri G," and, if so, whether Ms. Palin consciously named Trig, her child who was pre-natally diagnosed with this defect, after said disorder.

Hey, the yes or no will always be just an opinion. This is not provable either way.

I prefer to believe there is no motive for her to do this execrable thing, and that even if there were, it's an intellectual in-joke, which is not Palin's style.

Ghavrel

Postby Ghavrel » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:03 am UTC

Stanistani wrote:Hey, the yes or no will always be just an opinion. This is not provable either way.

I'm not exactly sure what that is supposed to imply... surely things which are not provable either way provide better discussion than things which are. Things that aren't provable either way include religion, politics, and philosophy, and all of those get significant screen time on the global stage (mixed... metaphor. I am tired).

Stanistani wrote:I prefer to believe there is no motive for her to do this execrable thing, and that even if there were, it's an intellectual in-joke, which is not Palin's style.

To clarify: If Ms. Palin purposefully did this, I do not think she would mean it to be a joke at the child's expense. Were I to guess a motive, it would be along the lines of "take THAT, pro-abortion fanatics! I love my child and won't kill him just because he has this defect!" I think she would intend the name Trig to be a name of defiance, not of mockery. Now, it's still disgusting, because it's totally objectifying the child, but I don't think it's mean-spirited per se.
"Si ad naturam vives, numquam eris pauper; si ad opiniones, numquam eris dives."
Live rightly and you shall never be poor; live for fame and you shall never have wealth.
~Epicurus, via Seneca

Stanistani

Postby Stanistani » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:11 am UTC

Ghavrel wrote:
Stanistani wrote:Hey, the yes or no will always be just an opinion. This is not provable either way.

I'm not exactly sure what that is supposed to imply... surely things which are not provable either way provide better discussion than things which are. Things that aren't provable either way include religion, politics, and philosophy, and all of those get significant screen time on the global stage (mixed... metaphor. I am tired).

These are also things I usually don't argue about, because there is no end.

Ghavrel wrote:
Stanistani wrote:I prefer to believe there is no motive for her to do this execrable thing, and that even if there were, it's an intellectual in-joke, which is not Palin's style.

To clarify: If Ms. Palin purposefully did this, I do not think she would mean it to be a joke at the child's expense. Were I to guess a motive, it would be along the lines of "take THAT, pro-abortion fanatics! I love my child and won't kill him just because he has this defect!" I think she would intend the name Trig to be a name of defiance, not of mockery. Now, it's still disgusting, because it's totally objectifying the child, but I don't think it's mean-spirited per se.

But she isn't deep enough into technical detail to name a kid after an obscure chromosomal tag - she would have simply named him 'Downey.'

TripleElation

Postby TripleElation » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:52 am UTC

The "Bach! Teleport us out of here!" scene is pretty much what came to my mind a few years earlier when I heard they were releasing an RPG called "Tales of Symphonia".

SuperfluousFluteMusic

Postby SuperfluousFluteMusic » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:47 pm UTC

These comics are far more enjoyable than the regular comics nowadays. They are hilarious and interesting. Just goes to show that when you don't bog yourself down, you can do great work.

Ghavrel

Postby Ghavrel » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:46 pm UTC

Stanistani wrote:These are also things I usually don't argue about, because there is no end.

And that's fine, but you need to realize that coming into conversations about these things and saying "Why are we discussing this? It can't be proven either way" is going to elicit responses that are similar to mine. Most people prefer not to limit their discussions to the empirically testable.

Stanistani wrote:But she isn't deep enough into technical detail to name a kid after an obscure chromosomal tag - she would have simply named him 'Downey.'

I don't consider it an impossibility that she did research on the condition her son had been diagnosed with. She's ignorant, but that doesn't mean she's incapable of pursuing a topic to some degree.
~Epicurus, via Seneca

webgiant

Postby webgiant » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:20 am UTC

DarthMarth wrote:Is it bad that I like these more than regular xkcd?

I'm still wondering why these didn't get printed because they're just as good as every other XKCD strip. Which is to say, "WOW!"

It's never bad to like an XKCD strip, even ones Randall thought he couldn't print.

waltwhitmanheadedbat

Postby waltwhitmanheadedbat » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:54 am UTC

SirMustapha, I really have to wonder why you continue to read xkcd. You seem to find something to appreciate in it so seldom.

malacus

Postby malacus » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:57 pm UTC

I am hopefully not going crazy, but wasn't 0819 about a girl in bio class?

Week 1: Guy sees girl in bio class. Mmmm.
Week 2: Guy has "breakfast" with girl from bio class (who is now wearing his shirt). Booyah!
Week 3: Guy finds girl from bio class wearing his mom's shirt (and thanking her for the good night). Wat!
Week 4: Guy finds girl from bio class wearing his mom's skin like a suit (and beckoning him to "give mommy a hug"). AAAAAAAA!

Could someone link me to the above comic or has it disappeared for good?

snowyowl

Postby snowyowl » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:13 pm UTC

Certainly: http://xkcd.com/819, right where you saw it last.
At the bottom of the comic. My guess is Randall just added the other comics in later when he realised he could do that sort of thing.
The preceding comment is an automated response.

hatten

Postby hatten » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:58 pm UTC

snowyowl wrote:Certainly: http://xkcd.com/819, right where you saw it last.
At the bottom of the comic. My guess is Randall just added the other comics in later when he realised he could do that sort of thing.

Nope, they were there from the beginning. Malacus must have remembered wrongly. (Unless it took randall like 5 minutes to change it)

Naicigamiz

Postby Naicigamiz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:07 pm UTC

"Give mommy a hug!"

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”