0821: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 3"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

meat.paste

Re: 0821: "Five-Minute Comics: Part 3"

Postby meat.paste » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:59 pm UTC

Why 119 pigs? I thought only 118 elements had been confirmed at this point (through ununoctium).
Huh? What?

VDOgamez

Postby VDOgamez » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:15 pm UTC

Tormuse wrote:The Pearl Harbor one made me chuckle.

Also, the first pig's house erupted in a spectacular fireball. Oh, the humanity!

Wouldn't that be "Oh, the porcinity?"

The Narnia one was rather awesome. The monitor might cause bugs, but if you moved everything inside the wardrobe, so that the only thing sticking out was a network cable, I think it would work. The time shift might just function the same way as a high latency connection, or something, and be permissible. Very VERY high latency, if I am guessing correctly about the extent to which time is accelerated. (I never read the book) The power source would be a problem, though. You couldn't run a cord to the outside world or it would not provide enough power, because the time is increased. A battery would also not work, because it would only have enough energy to power the computer for the same amount of work as it would have in the real world. If those became a problem, just download all of the problems before you move it inside, and run them offline, with a solar generator powering the computer until you were done.

fibonacci

Postby fibonacci » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:19 pm UTC

Mr. Joel's defense lawyer offered the excuse that it was always burning since the world was turning.

StNowhere

Postby StNowhere » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:24 pm UTC

fibonacci wrote:Mr. Joel's defense lawyer offered the excuse that it was always burning since the world was turning.

Furthermore, at the time of his arrest, he was seen vociferously denying beginning the blaze, but rather attempting to extinguish it.

ritvax

Postby ritvax » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:44 pm UTC

The joke about the 38th house being made of Strontium woke up some forgotten part of my brain... I used to be very interested in chemistry, used to know every element in the chart, used to know many of their properties. That was before I thought everything was a scone and every store was a pastry shop. The part that got me was the "119" houses... When I was in middle school, most of the text books were still printing a table of 103 elements, but the last time I seriously studied a periodic table was in high school, and they all went to 110. But 119? A trip to Wikipedia shows that we're up to 118 and most of the "theoretical" elements beyond 103 now have proper names... But still don't know where Randall got 119... Unless... It's pastries (though delicious, highly unstable and radioactive)? YES, IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW.

--ritvax
I wish I was running VMS v.6.5

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:46 pm UTC

BlueNight wrote:It follows that Charn had a sacrificed Son of God, and Jadis was the Anti-Him of that world.

Wouldn't it follow that God(/Jesus/Aslan/[Charn-equivalent]) lost the battle in that world, since Jadis successfully ruined it? Doesn't seem like the kind of message C.S. Lewis would want to convey.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

rockstar14

Postby rockstar14 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:00 pm UTC

I have had my first "Randall get out of my head" moment :D My music theory teacher had just talked about The Honeymooners(we get off topic sometimes....) in class. Hope your family gets better soon Randall!

tojo940

Postby tojo940 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:04 pm UTC

The Little Rock joke is so like one I thought of about MLK giving his peace prize to Leibniz for all of his work on integration.

Softfoot

Postby Softfoot » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:03 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
BlueNight wrote:It follows that Charn had a sacrificed Son of God, and Jadis was the Anti-Him of that world.

Wouldn't it follow that God(/Jesus/Aslan/[Charn-equivalent]) lost the battle in that world, since Jadis successfully ruined it? Doesn't seem like the kind of message C.S. Lewis would want to convey.

C.S Lewis also wrote a science fiction trilogy "The Cosmic Trilogy" around the premise that each world follows a different path to salvation or destruction. Part of the idea is that the inhabitants of each world are not merely passive in this - they actually make choices to make their worlds what they are.
I'll try not to spoil it - but I would say that the history/perception of Earth as in the Cosmic Trilogy set it closer to what happened on Charn than in Narnia.

Gd8908

Postby Gd8908 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:17 pm UTC

Only the Smartphone and the Little Pigs were funny, but they make up for it for being extremely funny! :lol:

Vehemence

Postby Vehemence » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:25 pm UTC

jpk wrote:You know, when they make a movie of this, Tom Lehrer is still around to do the soundtrack.

I'm pretty sure this comment wins the thread.

suso

Postby suso » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:52 pm UTC

StNowhere wrote:
fibonacci wrote:Mr. Joel's defense lawyer offered the excuse that it was always burning since the world was turning.

Furthermore, at the time of his arrest, he was seen vociferously denying beginning the blaze, but rather attempting to extinguish it.

Following up, firefighters attempted to extinguish the blaze, but they said it will still burn on and on.... :twisted:
Imagine theres no signatures....

StNowhere

Postby StNowhere » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:16 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:

I suppose I'm not exactly sure what you mean here (but I am curious). I think I remember reading elsewhere that Lewis was a faithful believer in the choice of salvation. Jadis was always capable of being redeemed; she simply seems to have rejected every chance. Seems like exactly the message Lewis would want to convey.

"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:28 pm UTC

Arariel wrote:79 was a pimp. 82's house was made in China.

After Little Rock High School, the nation was integrated by parts.
... I'm sorry, that was awful.

Awful

But too true.

Steve the Pocket wrote:
lemmings wrote:Better:

Time passes differently in Narnia so I was able to run through the Folding@Home and Seti@Home databases in about an hour. Then I had the computer simulate a Universe that consisted of an infinite desert filled with rocks and a man.... you'd never guess what he did!

Wow. You just out-Randall'd Randall. Up to and including making me want you to get out of my head; I just read about the guy who plans to make a giant computer inside Minecraft that can run a stripped-down version of Minecraft.

You could always do like Merlin did in the second Amber series by Zelazny when he built Ghostwheel. I always wished he'd done more with Ghost.

LordBritish wrote:Is anybody else confused by the fact that it is 119 little pigs? Or do I need to buy a new periodic table?

I never thought they all used elements to build. Straw, Sticks, Brick: I never saw those elements on the Periodic Table...

Softfoot wrote:C.S Lewis also wrote a science fiction trilogy "The Cosmic Trilogy" around the premise that each world follows a different path to salvation or destruction. Part of the idea is that the inhabitants of each world are not merely passive in this - they actually make choices to make their worlds what they are.
I'll try not to spoil it - but I would say that the history/perception of Earth as in the Cosmic Trilogy set it closer to what happened on Charn than in Narnia.

Is that the "Perelandra Trilogy"?
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Alfador

Postby Alfador » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:46 pm UTC

VDOgamez wrote:The Narnia one was rather awesome. The monitor might cause bugs, but if you moved everything inside the wardrobe, so that the only thing sticking out was a network cable, I think it would work. The time shift might just function the same way as a high latency connection, or something, and be permissible. Very VERY high latency, if I am guessing correctly about the extent to which time is accelerated. (I never read the book) The power source would be a problem, though. You couldn't run a cord to the outside world or it would not provide enough power, because the time is increased. A battery would also not work, because it would only have enough energy to power the computer for the same amount of work as it would have in the real world. If those became a problem, just download all of the problems before you move it inside, and run them offline, with a solar generator powering the computer until you were done.

I should've known I wouldn't be the first one to notice these issues. I've even contemplated worlds with variable, CONTROLLABLE time synchronization with our universe, such that you could have specialized network drivers that compress data for transmission through portals (spherical, of course (technically hypercylindrical with spherical top and bottom), and large enough to pass a 2.4GHz signal without significant diffraction) so people using superfast computers much faster than we in our universe could, could still communicate with us.

If there are many such people trying to siphon bandwidth off open hotspots for this hypothetical other universe to use, there may need to be some form of eldritch data compression, such that a single packet can hold an unlimited amount of information by binding it to a curse of the Horrorterrors Beyond The Veil. A special driver (potentially forceably installed via a sentient virus that oozes black ichor) on the target machine would decompress the data by breaking the curse automatically. People of this world would enjoy significantly increased bandwidth... at least until the Coming of the Vast Glub.

Yes, I'm aware I'm mangling the mythology of Homestuck.

ritvax wrote:The joke about the 38th house being made of Strontium woke up some forgotten part of my brain... I used to be very interested in chemistry, used to know every element in the chart, used to know many of their properties. That was before I thought everything was a scone and every store was a pastry shop. The part that got me was the "119" houses... When I was in middle school, most of the text books were still printing a table of 103 elements, but the last time I seriously studied a periodic table was in high school, and they all went to 110. But 119? A trip to Wikipedia shows that we're up to 118 and most of the "theoretical" elements beyond 103 now have proper names... But still don't know where Randall got 119... Unless... It's pastries (though delicious, highly unstable and radioactive)? YES, IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW.

--ritvax

The 119th house is made of bricks. Obviously. That way it won't decay nearly as rapidly as the 118th.

Softfoot

Postby Softfoot » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:13 am UTC

bmonk wrote:
Is that the "Perelandra Trilogy"?

Yeah, that. Perelandra's the second book.

KestralTweet

Postby KestralTweet » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:12 am UTC

We didn't star the fire, it was always burning since the world as turning...

I gotta say, I'm enjoying these five minute comics more than I did the usual comics. I understand that I won't get those well researched comics like Movie Narrative Charts or Gravity Wells that I really love.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:47 am UTC

Narnia FTW.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

gairbheil

Postby gairbheil » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:19 am UTC

I do think the Little Rock integration could be simplified somewhat. 9x should be good enough, since +c vs. Ferguson was overturned.

Seriously, all the best, Randall!

PSquid

Postby PSquid » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:53 am UTC

remage wrote:One of them is wrong, FTFY:

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/8863 ... edonly.png

Actually, no. The regex used has no i postfixed, so it's case-sensitive. Thus, it won't match the all-uppercase text used throughout the rest of the comic.

...not to mention, it wouldn't match "I hear that", anyway.

webgiant

Postby webgiant » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:31 am UTC

udqbpn wrote:I don't get it, what are the "so many problems" with burning through the Folding and Seti @ Home databases in Narnia? It seems like this would work fine to me...

According to the book version of "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe", approximately 40 years go by in the space of four minutes, or roughly 6 seconds a year. This works out to 16 milliseconds our time for every day of Narnia time.

One of the problems is quite obvious: if the server goes down, or the software crashes, and you happen to be looking at the warning light, by the time you react the server has been sitting there doing nothing for several months. If you had it send you a text message on an error, a year or two could go by before you rebooted.

Then there's wear and tear on the machine itself. I doubt anyone here has a computer which has been running for forty years without a single bit of maintenance. Yes, you have more time for maintenance, but by the time you know there's a problem the system chips could have already been fried for months to years.

And thinking about the speed difference in the network connection, for example to send new SETI@Home packets, gives me a headache. Narnia server finishes and requests a new packet...and finally gets a new ACK after two days of waiting (typical home LAN response time is about 30 milliseconds: 30 milliseconds Earth time is approximately 2 Narnian days). You'd have to rewrite the Narnia server's networking code to wait 48-72 hours before deciding that the Earth system wasn't going to respond. And then you're sending 1500 byte chunks of a several-megabyte SETI packet, with each chunk taking 48-72 Narnian hours before the Narnian system reports it has received the chunk.

You won't even be able to get around that one by using a thumbdrive, since the Narnian Server will still be sitting idle for at least a year while you copy files onto the thumbdrive. At least you won't have to do any new coding.

webgiant

Postby webgiant » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:55 am UTC

BlueNight wrote:
Heavenslaughing wrote:I love contemplating the problems with putting your CPU in Narnia. What happens to the input traveling to your monitor and the point where the wire crosses worlds? Will the CPU get hit by an ice queen's sled? Will your database get transmuted into a Christian allegory?

SETI@Home would posit life on Mars and Venus, with whispy angels throughout the solar system, as well as extrapolating the Bible Codes. Folding@Home would result in the fruit of the Tree of Life, which cures all ailments and makes one immortal.

I hadn't even considered the implications of mystical properties of Narnia on items from our world.

After all, the Lamp Post wasn't part of Narnia. It grew out of the Witch's Crowbar (of The Magician's Nephew), which she picked up on Earth by ripping off part of a lamp-post. The Crowbar turned into a Lamp Post like a seed into a plant.

So any server left in Narnia may put down roots and start growing. While this may take care of the power needs (the Lamp Post in Narnia comes from a time of gas lamps, yet it still lights up despite having no gas line or automatic ignition), the server itself may change into something which is unable to process SETI@Home packets anymore.

One wonders if it will turn into a vacumn-tube system or, even worse, some sort of analog computer. Maybe even a finished Difference Engine!

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:07 am UTC

StNowhere wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:

I suppose I'm not exactly sure what you mean here (but I am curious). I think I remember reading elsewhere that Lewis was a faithful believer in the choice of salvation. Jadis was always capable of being redeemed; she simply seems to have rejected every chance. Seems like exactly the message Lewis would want to convey.

My point was not about Jadis' own salvation but about the salvation of her world. If, as BlueNight suggests, Jadis was the Antichrist of Charn, then the fact that she won the battle there and destroyed that world seems... un-Christian. Shouldn't the Jesaslan of Charn have defeated her?

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:37 am UTC

Best one yet! All of these burnt the cheese to some extent.
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

serrath

Postby serrath » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:42 am UTC

Can someone explain the instant persuasiveness multiplier to me? Please?

btoews

Postby btoews » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:47 am UTC

webgiant wrote:
BlueNight wrote:
Heavenslaughing wrote:I love contemplating the problems with putting your CPU in Narnia. What happens to the input traveling to your monitor and the point where the wire crosses worlds? Will the CPU get hit by an ice queen's sled? Will your database get transmuted into a Christian allegory?

SETI@Home would posit life on Mars and Venus, with whispy angels throughout the solar system, as well as extrapolating the Bible Codes. Folding@Home would result in the fruit of the Tree of Life, which cures all ailments and makes one immortal.

I hadn't even considered the implications of mystical properties of Narnia on items from our world.

After all, the Lamp Post wasn't part of Narnia. It grew out of the Witch's Crowbar (of The Magician's Nephew), which she picked up on Earth by ripping off part of a lamp-post. The Crowbar turned into a Lamp Post like a seed into a plant.

So any server left in Narnia may put down roots and start growing. While this may take care of the power needs (the Lamp Post in Narnia comes from a time of gas lamps, yet it still lights up despite having no gas line or automatic ignition), the server itself may change into something which is unable to process SETI@Home packets anymore.

One wonders if it will turn into a vacumn-tube system or, even worse, some sort of analog computer. Maybe even a finished Difference Engine!

AH, but you are forgetting that the only reason the crow bar grew into a lamp post was because the world of Narnia was still developing. That would no longer happen after the world had been completely developed. Also, the Witch whacked Aslan in the face with it, that may have had something to do with it growing into a lamp post.

Krenn

Postby Krenn » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:58 am UTC

meat.paste wrote:Why 119 pigs? I thought only 118 elements had been confirmed at this point (through ununoctium).

maybe the first little piggy built his house from pure neutronium, atomic element 0 ?

Alfador

Postby Alfador » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:53 am UTC

Krenn wrote:
meat.paste wrote:Why 119 pigs? I thought only 118 elements had been confirmed at this point (through ununoctium).

maybe the first little piggy built his house from pure neutronium, atomic element 0 ?

But then the Big Bad Wolf wouldn't even have had time to huff and/or puff before being torn apart by tidal forces!

Tormuse

Postby Tormuse » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:28 pm UTC

VDOgamez wrote:
Tormuse wrote:...Also, the first pig's house erupted in a spectacular fireball. Oh, the humanity!

Wouldn't that be "Oh, the porcinity?"

I stand corrected!
I'm not really that patriotic... really!

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:24 pm UTC

Best 5 minute series yet! It took me a few seconds to get the integration one, very rewarding.

I like it because I've always enjoyed puns and one-liners best of any humor. Which can be hard to do when people expect a "real comic" or that the author will be "serious." Fuck that. One-liners from now on!
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Rowadanr
Location: Living in my solar dome on a platform in... somerset.

Postby Rowadanr » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:49 pm UTC

"And, with fur still singed, he went to see the second little pig who had built his house out of helium. And the wolf said "Okay, are you 'aving a laugh?"
- my dad the industrial chemist, a few seconds after I sent him today's comic
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.
- John Cage

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:11 pm UTC

We have a Physics joke, a Calculus joke, a Chemistry joke, two History jokes (if you count the Billy Joel song as relevant to history), a Computer Science joke... #3 is CHOCK FUCKING FULL. :mrgreen:

lemmings wrote:Better:

Time passes differently in Narnia so I was able to run through the Folding@Home and Seti@Home databases in about an hour. Then I had the computer simulate a Universe that consisted of an infinite desert filled with rocks and a man.... you'd never guess what he did!

The thread winners have been showing up earlier these days. Well done, sir. To claim your prize, you'll have to talk to these three labyrinth guards...
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

Born2killx

Postby Born2killx » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:53 pm UTC

serrath wrote:Can someone explain the instant persuasiveness multiplier to me? Please?

It's a vi/ed joke. The command "s/I think that/I saw a study once that said/g" substitutes every instance of "I think that" in a line of text with "I saw a study once that said".

Therefore, the sentence "I think that lesbians are hot." becomes "I saw a study once that said lesbians are hot."

fiveofoh

Postby fiveofoh » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:44 pm UTC

Wait, why has no one mentioned the waterslide comic? I loved the rest of them, but I just flat-out don't understand that one at all. Is there some reference I'm missing or something?

fiveofoh

Postby fiveofoh » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:45 pm UTC

Born2killx wrote:It's a regular expressions joke.

FTFY. Vi and Ed (as well as Perl and probably emacs) use Regular Expressions, which is what that is.

fiveofoh

Postby fiveofoh » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:49 pm UTC

gairbheil wrote:I do think the Little Rock integration could be simplified somewhat. 9x should be good enough, since +c vs. Ferguson was overturned.

Seriously, all the best, Randall!

I think this is the threadwinner right here. Brilliant.

melladh

Postby melladh » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:02 am UTC

I liked the pearl harbor one
Image Image

serrath

Postby serrath » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:26 am UTC

fiveofoh wrote:Wait, why has no one mentioned the waterslide comic? I loved the rest of them, but I just flat-out don't understand that one at all. Is there some reference I'm missing or something?

Honeymooners.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV1zul2aCM8

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:49 am UTC

serrath wrote:
fiveofoh wrote:Wait, why has no one mentioned the waterslide comic? I loved the rest of them, but I just flat-out don't understand that one at all. Is there some reference I'm missing or something?

Honeymooners.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV1zul2aCM8

I think it was more the iconic "bang! zoom! straight to the moon!" that Randall was referencing.

(For the record, Jackie Gleason was not an astronaut, he was just a TV comedian using space travel as a metaphor for beating his wife.)

webgiant

Postby webgiant » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:54 am UTC

btoews wrote:
webgiant wrote:
BlueNight wrote:

AH, but you are forgetting that the only reason the crow bar grew into a lamp post was because the world of Narnia was still developing. That would no longer happen after the world had been completely developed. Also, the Witch whacked Aslan in the face with it, that may have had something to do with it growing into a lamp post.

Good ideas, but the real reason everything was growing was due to Aslan's Song. Aslan sings several times in the book series: in addition to The Magician's Nephew, he sings in The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, Prince Caspian, and The Horse and His Boy. So the server would fail to grow provided it was working during a time when Aslan wasn't singing.

Now, the annoying bit is that the time difference turns out to be a lot more variable than I thought. Lucy's first trip took less than 12 hours Earth time, and about four seconds Earth time. When all four of them went, the trip took years but only, again, four seconds. So when the warning light comes, you have no idea if the server shut down nine Narnian hours ago or nine Narnian centuries ago.

So going back to the time differential, there's no guarantee Aslan hasn't sung several times during the time the server has been sitting in Narnia. You'll come back for maintenance day to the Hanging Gardens of Intel.

I think the biggest problem will be a warning light, followed by it going out suddenly. You go to check, and find a large lion sitting on the shredded wreckage of your server farm. He says, "So I understand you've been trying to take advantage of my Narnia. By the way, I've reversed the time differential, it's now the year 4,000 on Earth, and everyone you know is dead."

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”