0824: "Guest Week: Bill Amend (FoxTrot) "

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

DragonHawk

Re: 0824: "Guest Week: Bill Amend (FoxTrot) "

Postby DragonHawk » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:24 pm UTC

StNowhere wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:
Edit: this is built on my assumption, from your pattern of posts, that you feel that people shouldn't enjoy XKCD, and yet somehow manage to do so due to a failure on their part to recognize how "bad" it is.

Please Do Not Feed The Troll.
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

StNowhere

Postby StNowhere » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:31 pm UTC

DragonHawk wrote:
StNowhere wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:
Edit: this is built on my assumption, from your pattern of posts, that you feel that people shouldn't enjoy XKCD, and yet somehow manage to do so due to a failure on their part to recognize how "bad" it is.

Please Do Not Feed The Troll.

Please Stop Telling Me What I Should Do. Also, Please Do Not Capitalize Every Word In Your Sentences. It Makes You Look Like A Dick.

Covane

Postby Covane » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:32 pm UTC

hatten wrote:I love these comics, I didn't get the momentum one though, I guess i should go read it up on wikipedia, or if some nice soul would care to explain it.

It's a play on Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, which is that you can not know the exact position and momentum of an object. Wikipedia article.

StNowhere

Postby StNowhere » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:34 pm UTC

Covane wrote:
hatten wrote:I love these comics, I didn't get the momentum one though, I guess i should go read it up on wikipedia, or if some nice soul would care to explain it.

It's a play on Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, which is that you can not know the exact position and momentum of an object. Wikipedia article.

Yep. You can't know both position and momentum simultaneously. Further, the product of the uncertainties in position and momentum has a lower bound, so the more precisely you measure one, the less precisely you can even attempt to know the other. Creator of the old physics joke about the student who showed up to class without his homework, explaining that he measured its momentum so precisely, it could be anywhere in the universe.

koipen

Postby koipen » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:40 pm UTC

I got the final one just now! It's not just I, it's imaginary vote. Therefore, it doesn't count.

Stanistani

Postby Stanistani » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:50 pm UTC

chrth wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:... okay, he WAS making fun of xkcd, right? Not one, not two, but THREE godawful stereotypically "nerdy" jokes following a tired "sudo" "joke"? No way that was meant to be honest.

Either he's making fun of Randall or making fun of Randall's audience. Most probably both.

I'm surprised you don't read FoxTrot and also bitch on their forums in the vain hope someone may someday click one of your sig links. These are typical "Jason pretending to fill in for somebody" strips, just with a (more) nerdy bent.

I clicked on one of those links. His music is godawful. One piece had some nice things going for it, but he panicked midway through and threw in some random noises.

chrth

Postby chrth » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:51 pm UTC

DragonHawk wrote:Please Do Not Feed The Troll.

You misunderstand SirMustapha. He's not actually a troll. He doesn't post here because he wants an argument. He posts here because he prays every morning that someone -- anyone! -- will click one of the links in his sig. He posts negatively because he's hoping to catch someone likeminded unaware, and they will click his link, and he'll be a nickel closer to moving out of the basement.

Refusing to answer him won't make him go away; he's gotten his links posted so he's done and doesn't need to come back for that thread. The only way to discourage him from coming back is to point out why he's actually here, and hopefully (although doubtfully) it'll shame him to stop.

Ignoring him isn't half as effective as:

SirMustapha wrote:Please someone click on the links in my sig so I can someday move out of my mom's basement

Fixt

If you really want to get rid of him, do that to every single one of his posts.

Cool Username

Postby Cool Username » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:19 pm UTC

chrth wrote:
DragonHawk wrote:Please Do Not Feed The Troll.

You misunderstand SirMustapha. He's not actually a troll. He doesn't post here because he wants an argument. He posts here because he prays every morning that someone -- anyone! -- will click one of the links in his sig. He posts negatively because he's hoping to catch someone likeminded unaware, and they will click his link, and he'll be a nickel closer to moving out of the basement.

Refusing to answer him won't make him go away; he's gotten his links posted so he's done and doesn't need to come back for that thread. The only way to discourage him from coming back is to point out why he's actually here, and hopefully (although doubtfully) it'll shame him to stop.

Ignoring him isn't half as effective as:

SirMustapha wrote:Please someone click on the links in my sig so I can someday move out of my mom's basement

Fixt

If you really want to get rid of him, do that to every single one of his posts.

Offended that someone voices (albiet obnoxiously) a differing opinion on Lord Randall and his Magnificent Creation?

Hint: try not to make it so obvious that he's getting under your skin.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:38 pm UTC

But what if I KNOW the momentum is 0?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:50 pm UTC

StNowhere wrote:I think you once argued the point that some people find enjoyment in "bad" movies specifically because they are "bad"; that they find something praiseworthy in it that has nothing to do with objective classifications of "good" movies (or books, or music, etc.), and that it was incorrect to regard this as faulty reasoning. Why, then, is it incorrect reasoning for the (possible) explanation that a number of people who like XKCD enjoy it for its nerdiness, completely apart from your objective classification of "good" comics or "bad" comics? Perhaps they do like things that are nerdy because they are nerdy. Is that invalid reasoning?

No, not invalid, but... honestly, quite silly. In cases like that, I can't help but feel that people are desperately seeking to feed on anything "nerdy" just to validate their position, instead of trying to, I don't know, exercise their taste? Otherwise, there's no explanation for something that's meant to be bad being enjoyed as something actually good. If people want to like any piece of crap just because it's "nerdy", well, it's their right, but I'm commiting no crime in criticising it, am I?

StNowhere wrote:Edit: this is built on my assumption, from your pattern of posts, that you feel that people shouldn't enjoy XKCD, and yet somehow manage to do so due to a failure on their part to recognize how "bad" it is.

You know, that's a big part of what I think. Overall, there seems to be a big crowd who support xkcd simply because it makes their "nerdiness" look "cool"; I believe Randall is contaminated by that and is producing bad quality stuff. That is my opinion. And, well, what the hell, I'm interested in what's happening with xkcd. That's it. It's too close to my "area" for me to ignore completely -- and even if I tried to do that, eventually I bump into it in some blog or in some forum I visit. So, yeah, I can't get out of it.

black_hat_guy

Postby black_hat_guy » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:19 am UTC

This is the second time Jason has appeared in xkcd.
Billy was a chemist.
He isn't any more.
What he thought was H2O
was H2SO4.

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:47 am UTC

mr-mitch wrote:Sudo runs it with superuser privileges (usually, I'm sure you can change this if you wanted to).
Actually, a default configuration doesn't do anything. Using it as a catchall replacement for su is, at the very least, a gross perversion of the original intent(and redundant, since su -c '<command>' is more-or-less the same).
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

Cool Username

Postby Cool Username » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:16 am UTC

Alistair Wall wrote:
Cool Username wrote:xkcd has nothing to do with politics or current events

http://xkcd.com/617/ OK, it is history now, but it was current at the time.

With very few exceptions, xkcd does not mention current events at all.
In those few times it does, it almost always does not do anything more than search for a punchline (the context is used to propel the joke to a punchline as opposed to the strip towards a greater commentary or insight).
In those few times it seeks to make a point about current events, it tends to do a very poor job.

If nothing else, consider that xkcd bills itself as a webcomic of "romance, sarcasm, math, and language", rather than current events.

But whatever, it's a minor point. Not really worth nitpicking.

Ericalady

Postby Ericalady » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:39 am UTC

Title-Text: Guest comic by Bill Amend of FoxTrot, an inspiration to all us nerdy-physics-majors-turned-cartoonists, of which there are an oddly large number.

Me too! (though I do how-to illustrations, with the occasional foray into irony.)
I think it's cause you have to have some graphic capability, to get thru a physics course, but you don't have to actually be able to draw 'pretty' pictures. ;-) Line art may be the height of effective geek communication.

mollycule14

Postby mollycule14 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:17 am UTC

I'm also a physics major who loves to draw comics in class! Not enough to make a website, though :(

StNowhere

Postby StNowhere » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:58 am UTC

neoliminal wrote:But what if I KNOW the momentum is 0?

UNPOSSIBLE. NEXT!

aaronasterling

Postby aaronasterling » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:07 am UTC

Max2009 wrote:
Icalasari wrote:Can someone explain the Aye one to me? >.> I get most XKCDs, but some math ones fly over my head, and it would suck not to get one made by Bill Amend

This is the only one that made me smile, the others were groaners.
Anyway, the square root of minus one doesn't exist, but some drunk mathematician thought it might come in handy one day. So he decided to call it i instead.
"See? No impossible numbers!"

This is complete BS. i exists as much as any other number exists. You might as well say that -1 doesn't exist because you can't have -1 apples. We introduce negative numbers so that x = a-b always has a solution, we introduce rationals so that x = a/b always has a solution, we introduce the real numbers so that all cauchy sequences converge and we introduce the complex numbers so that all polynomials split down to linear factors.

Also, this comic is really good.
Smarter than a chimpanzee

StNowhere

Postby StNowhere » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:33 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:No, not invalid, but... honestly, quite silly. In cases like that, I can't help but feel that people are desperately seeking to feed on anything "nerdy" just to validate their position, instead of trying to, I don't know, exercise their taste? Otherwise, there's no explanation for something that's meant to be bad being enjoyed as something actually good. If people want to like any piece of crap just because it's "nerdy", well, it's their right, but I'm commiting no crime in criticising it, am I?

No, but I still can't help but feel you're playing the Catholic bishop preaching to the Baptist choir. (No offense intended if you'd rather not be labeled in Christian terms)

SirMustapha wrote:You know, that's a big part of what I think. Overall, there seems to be a big crowd who support xkcd simply because it makes their "nerdiness" look "cool"; I believe Randall is contaminated by that and is producing bad quality stuff.

I can't disagree with this point, although the number of people that you describe might not really be as large as you think. There are those of us who are just that damn nerdy. People who have no idea why a priest, a rabbi and a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader would ever walk into a bar together but know 15 jokes (by memory) about integration by parts and twice as many about Schrodinger's pets. Certainly there are some people who defend "nerdiness above all else" because they want the nerd cred (and I despise people like that - people who claim to love postmodern art because "they get it and you don't", or people who pretend to like jazz because it's somehow cool to like jazz, whether or not the particular jazz piece is shit or not), but I think there are more than you might imagine who come by that level of nerdity quite honestly, and they enjoy jokes or ideas that reinforce that.

Uninfinity

Postby Uninfinity » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:43 am UTC

deadbird17 wrote:Awesome, I love Foxtrot. My favorite one:
http://brentdanley.com/blog/wp-content/ ... _ccode.jpg
YES. I've always wanted to do something like that, but they never make you write lines anymore. They just keep you after school and as long as you aren't texting, they don't care what you do in detention.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:29 am UTC

Hey, everyone...

Lay off SirMustapha. He hates the comic. So what? Move on.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

StNowhere

Postby StNowhere » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:03 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Hey, everyone...

I'm actually interested in the reasoning, though. If mine is the only time I waste doing so (and doing so in as civil a manner as I can imagine), who's the worse for it?

Glenn Magus Harvey

Postby Glenn Magus Harvey » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:32 am UTC

The Heisenberg one is the best.

Why? Because it has a double meaning. The nerd humor, and also,...well, you don't want to know what their kid did to the car that night.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:13 am UTC

Rackum wrote:Why is the last guy in the third strip saying "j"? I don't get it ...[/size]

So the chairman of the STEM committee calls for votes. A mathematician shouts "aye", and an engineer "jay!" "'Kay", replies the chairman, himself an engineer, "so that's one vote in favor and one vote I only imagined I heard. All opposed?"

SecondTalon wrote:Hey, everyone...

I'd like to, and honestly I try, but... he's too close to my "area" for me to ignore completely. And even if I tried to do that, eventually I bump into him in some forum I visit. So, yeah, I can't get away from him. ;-)
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:18 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I'd like to, and honestly I try, but... he's too close to my "area" for me to ignore completely. And even if I tried to do that, eventually I bump into him in some forum I visit. So, yeah, I can't get away from him. ;-)

Now you know how I feel!

StNowhere wrote:No, but I still can't help but feel you're playing the Catholic bishop preaching to the Baptist choir. (No offense intended if you'd rather not be labeled in Christian terms)

No offense taken at all. Well, I'm not going to argue that I'm doing something big and important here, but I'm not provoking people to fight, I'm not insulting people, I'm not trying to disrupt the peace and bring flamewars to this place -- and to me, those seem to be the real marks of a "troll". It irritates me, most of all, when people act as if certain groups should have no voice. It reeks of imaturity.

Pfhorrest wrote:I can't disagree with this point, although the number of people that you describe might not really be as large as you think. There are those of us who are just that damn nerdy. People who have no idea why a priest, a rabbi and a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader would ever walk into a bar together but know 15 jokes (by memory) about integration by parts and twice as many about Schrodinger's pets.

I don't doubt. I mean, nerdy people exist, and they are primarily people who don't care if they're a member of a group or not, and are more concerned with their value as an individual. I'm sure a lot of those frequent this place, and a lot of those also visit the anti-xkcd sites. I have no trouble with that.

Pfhorrest wrote:Certainly there are some people who defend "nerdiness above all else" because they want the nerd cred (and I despise people like that - people who claim to love postmodern art because "they get it and you don't", or people who pretend to like jazz because it's somehow cool to like jazz, whether or not the particular jazz piece is shit or not), but I think there are more than you might imagine who come by that level of nerdity quite honestly, and they enjoy jokes or ideas that reinforce that.

Yes, you're probably right. But I guess that many people that honestly enjoy xkcd without trying to validate their nerd-cred don't post here, right? Because these threads sometimes seem to try to challenge the very concept of intelligence. That means I am being biased by a relatively small group of people. That may be the case. Yet I can't brush off the feeling I have to yell no, folks, Randall IS NOT IN YOUR HEAD, and he won't be your little Internet pal just because you said that... and I don't think I'm the only one!

ritvax

Postby ritvax » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:46 pm UTC

So I went to look up Bill Amend on Wikipedia... He is originally from Northampton, Mass... Which seems to be the epicenter of the many popular webcomics, so perhaps there is an additional link there.
I wish I was running VMS v.6.5

severach

Postby severach » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:46 pm UTC

I don't think any poster yet has gotten this comic. I didn't at first either until I came back and read it again.

SUDO is the comic and by far the best pun. Unlike all of RM's usages of SUDO that implied but didn't accomplish, here the Foxtrot kid invokes SUDO and is successful at getting several lame comics published.

The fact that noone got it until now says about BA: xkcd, I haz it!

Title-Text: Comics by BA wouldn't be lame. Oh wait...

Glenn Magus Harvey

Postby Glenn Magus Harvey » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:08 pm UTC

> SUDO is the comic and by far the best pun. Unlike all of RM's usages of SUDO that implied but didn't accomplish, here the Foxtrot kid invokes SUDO and is successful at getting several lame comics published.

> several lame comics

You call these comics lame?!

Red text is for mods only, please. As punishment, your entire message will now be coloured in a lovely shade of salmon-of-doubt pink ~~Felstaff

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:16 pm UTC

Glenn Magus Harvey wrote:> SUDO is the comic and by far the best pun. Unlike all of RM's usages of SUDO that implied but didn't accomplish, here the Foxtrot kid invokes SUDO and is successful at getting several lame comics published.

> several lame comics

You call these comics lame?!

Please tell me you're joking, otherwise...

YES! They are intended to be lame, that's the goddamn joke! I didn't know Foxtrot, but the users who do know it have confirmed (MORE THAN ONCE in this very thread) that the pattern of "Jason (the character on top of the comic) gets to fill in for someone and does crap" is very, very common, and that's exactly what's going on here. Notice: that is not me saying it, I'm only repeating what has been explained here.

So yeah, if you enjoyed those "jokes" as if they were intended as actually good, it just means you have very bad taste for humour.

Really, who on Earth would honestly laugh at that "gravitational pull" comic?

mattbob

Postby mattbob » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:13 pm UTC

Very good spoof of Randall's work. I'd find it pretty funny if people actually thought that they were meant to be serious comics, because they're so blunt and "nerdy" that they couldn't possibly be meant to be serious.

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:50 am UTC

StNowhere wrote:No, but I still can't help but feel you're playing the Catholic bishop preaching to the Baptist choir. (No offense intended if you'd rather not be labeled in Christian terms)
What are you talking about? Everybody knows Catholics ain't Christian!
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:00 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:I'd like to, and honestly I try, but... he's too close to my "area" for me to ignore completely. And even if I tried to do that, eventually I bump into him in some forum I visit. So, yeah, I can't get away from him. ;-)

Now you know how I feel!

I hope you caught that I was directly paraphrasing one of your posts on this same page, for the purpose of being snarky. (Forgive me, it's hard to distinguish sarcasm in text sometimes).

SirMustapha wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:I can't disagree with this point...

Pfhorrest wrote:Certainly there are some people who defend "nerdiness above all else"...

You got the wrong attribution on those two quotes.

SirMustapha wrote:Really, who on Earth would honestly laugh at that "gravitational pull" comic?

Actually, just prior to this comic I had come up with my own joke along similar lines: Like "Ol' Flat Top" from the classic Beatles hit "Come Together", yo momma so attractive that she's hard to see... because any light which reaches her is unable to escape.... because her attractiveness is gravitational..... 'cause she fat. Of course some of the humor of that is intended to be meta, how the presentation of the joke breaks down with the requisite explanations, and how it switches from academic proper English to ghetto ebonics and back again and then back again again. So in some sense it's an intentionally bad joke just like Jason's is an intentionally bad comic.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:37 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I hope you caught that I was directly paraphrasing one of your posts on this same page, for the purpose of being snarky. (Forgive me, it's hard to distinguish sarcasm in text sometimes).

Of course I caught that; I just pointed out that your "snarkiness" actually reinforces my point.

Pfhorrest wrote:Actually, just prior to this comic I had come up with my own joke along similar lines: Like "Ol' Flat Top" from the classic Beatles hit "Come Together", yo momma so attractive that she's hard to see... because any light which reaches her is unable to escape.... because her attractiveness is gravitational..... 'cause she fat. Of course some of the humor of that is intended to be meta, how the presentation of the joke breaks down with the requisite explanations, and how it switches from academic proper English to ghetto ebonics and back again and then back again again. So in some sense it's an intentionally bad joke just like Jason's is an intentionally bad comic.

Well, enjoying the joke for being bad is one thing, but honestly laughing at it, as if it were a "classic xkcd" joke, is what I'm complaining about here. If Randall did a strip exactly like that, I bet my head that a lot of people would be calling it "epic", even though it's a gimmic Randall pulled off many times before.

J L

Postby J L » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:13 pm UTC

Putting the "sudo" joke in front of it doesn't necessarily mean 1:1 "the following is intended to be a bad comic". You can also read it as an ironic apology of one author to another for intruding into his field. Or to the readers for taking the opportunity to fire off some more or less inventive puns that just wanted to get out for some time. And even then, directing something not terribly inventive at the proper time to the proper audience that to some degree might even expect you to do so is still not the same as saying 1:1 "the following is intended to be a bad comic."

"Lowering the expectations" is actually a common comedic device. E.g. a friend of mine used to be a great teller of jokes. Most of them were very long-winded. And most of them had a very silly punchline. But the way he framed them, always resisting to tell them at all, always insisting how "bad" they were, made them great.

Just saying, there is never a way to be 100% sure about a text's intention and the "proper" way to react to it. That's what makes humor so entertaining.

webgiant

Postby webgiant » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:29 pm UTC

Okay I was wondering why he was contributing until the last frame. Square root of -1 is worthy of an XKCD comic.

Ephemeron

Postby Ephemeron » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:34 pm UTC

chrth wrote:You misunderstand SirMustapha. He's not actually a troll. He doesn't post here because he wants an argument. He posts here because he prays every morning that someone -- anyone! -- will click one of the links in his sig. He posts negatively because he's hoping to catch someone likeminded unaware, and they will click his link, and he'll be a nickel closer to moving out of the basement.

This may sound strange to you but... I actually clicked on one of the links in his signature, and I downloaded his music. I also enjoy reading his posts. Does that make me a bad person?

mattbob

Postby mattbob » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:51 am UTC

I really don't get what the big debate here is. This is a textbook example of satire-Amend has taken some of the most used themes in XKCD and made comics about them, exaggerating them to a silly extent.

BlueNight

Postby BlueNight » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:48 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:YES! They are intended to be lame, that's the goddamn joke! I didn't know Foxtrot, but the users who do know it have confirmed (MORE THAN ONCE in this very thread) that the pattern of "Jason (the character on top of the comic) gets to fill in for someone and does crap" is very, very common, and that's exactly what's going on here.

Metafictional. Anyway, I thought Jason's xkcd ripoff from a 2008 Sunday strip was funnier than his jokes here. (I'm certain Bill Amend can do better than this, drawing as himself.)
---------
BlueNight

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:07 am UTC

Ephemeron wrote:This may sound strange to you but... I actually clicked on one of the links in his signature, and I downloaded his music. I also enjoy reading his posts. Does that make me a bad person?
No, it makes you a horrible person!

Glenn Magus Harvey

Postby Glenn Magus Harvey » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:08 am UTC

YES! They are intended to be lame, that's the goddamn joke! I didn't know Foxtrot, but the users who do know it have confirmed (MORE THAN ONCE in this very thread) that the pattern of "Jason (the character on top of the comic) gets to fill in for someone and does crap" is very, very common, and that's exactly what's going on here. Notice: that is not me saying it, I'm only repeating what has been explained here.

So yeah, if you enjoyed those "jokes" as if they were intended as actually good, it just means you have very bad taste for humour.

Really, who on Earth would honestly laugh at that "gravitational pull" comic?

Well, actually:

The first one produced a facepalm from me, mainly sympathetic to the guy character who just did this.
The second one, while seeming totally lame at first, actually has a very witty interpretation.
The third one...is pretty lame.

So, on par, and given that stuff I like has a higher remembrance weight than stuff I don't like...this comes out on top.

As for the sudo joke, I found it witty, as it hadn't been done for a while, and was quite fitting to the situation. I should also inform you that extremely insightful secondary interpretations are worth a lot. At least, to me they are.

Stanistani

Postby Stanistani » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:35 pm UTC

Ephemeron wrote:
chrth wrote:You misunderstand SirMustapha. He's not actually a troll. He doesn't post here because he wants an argument. He posts here because he prays every morning that someone -- anyone! -- will click one of the links in his sig. He posts negatively because he's hoping to catch someone likeminded unaware, and they will click his link, and he'll be a nickel closer to moving out of the basement.
This may sound strange to you but... I actually clicked on one of the links in his signature, and I downloaded his music. I also enjoy reading his posts. Does that make me a bad person?

Somebody has to enjoy SirMustapha. It's a large world, and personal taste is diverse. What's your opinion of Justin Bieber's music and witchetty grubs?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”