0827: "My Business Idea"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

LucasBrown

0827: "My Business Idea"

Postby LucasBrown » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:00 am UTC

Alt text: "We didn't believe you at first, but we asked like three people who were at that party. They not only corroborated your story, but even said you totally mentioned wanting to start a company someday. Sorry! If this isn't enough money, let us know."

If only the government were willing to put in that kind of effort to corroborate stories and actually give out the money...

And that FedEx guy must be either very suspicious or very confused.
Last edited by LucasBrown on Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:25 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

anemic

Re: 0827: "Business Idea"

Postby anemic » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:02 am UTC

Sounds like Mr. Munroe saw The Social Network.

GauchosFTW

Postby GauchosFTW » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:02 am UTC

Never thought about sending money via freight

black_hat_guy

Postby black_hat_guy » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:03 am UTC

This comic is a great business idea. Now to go execute it and then lose 30% of my profits to Randall.
Billy was a chemist.
He isn't any more.
What he thought was H2O
was H2SO4.

Cal Engime

Postby Cal Engime » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:05 am UTC

anemic wrote:Sounds like Mr. Munroe saw The Social Network.
Well, Facebook has not yet made a profit.

jpk

Postby jpk » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:08 am UTC

I SO had this idea for a comic, like, fifteen minutes ago.

mbrigdan
False Alarm! There's more rum.

Postby mbrigdan » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:10 am UTC

Cal Engime wrote:
Well, Facebook has not yet made a profit.

Has not made a profit as a business. I'm pretty sure Zuckerburg has already made enough money to comfortably retire.
Spoiler:
TheNgaiGuy wrote:god is playing a huge trick on us and wants us to use our brains to come to the logical conclusion, even though wrong, that he doesn't exist and will send all atheists to heaven for exercising said gifts and send all theists to hell for having faith.

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:12 am UTC

Facebook has indeed turned a profit. Source.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:16 am UTC

I thought of using this idea in a comic 8 years ago! Give Me My Money Randall!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

huadpe

Postby huadpe » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:17 am UTC

I work in patent law for independent inventors. This is exactly how they think the world works.

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:20 am UTC

I had an idea 6 years ago for this exact comic. I want my cut.

HI JOEE

Spoiler:
JOKING

shashwat986

Postby shashwat986 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:27 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I thought of using this idea in a comic 8 years ago! Give Me My Money Randall!

I thought of using this quote a day before you used it! Gimme my ... uh... Money?

EDIT: Also, has anyone else noticed that stick-guy's using a mac?
Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin -- Tim Vine

EduardoLeon

Postby EduardoLeon » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:33 am UTC

shashwat986 wrote:EDIT: Also, has anyone else noticed that stick-guy's using a mac?

Hey! I was just gonna post that! (Really...)
Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein!

jolly

Postby jolly » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:36 am UTC

could that be...product placement in xkcd?

Turiski

Postby Turiski » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:45 am UTC

Likability... phah.
Approximately 100% of my forum contribution is in Nomic threads! In fact, if you're reading this signature, you probably knew that because you're reading a Nomic thread! But did you know that I've participated in both Nomic 16.0 AND Nomic 15.0? Woah!

shashwat986

Postby shashwat986 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:46 am UTC

Also, Yay! Randall's back!
Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin -- Tim Vine

iwanttobelieve

Postby iwanttobelieve » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:01 am UTC

I had the idea to make a joke about having the idea to write this comic WAY before all of you guys did.

I want my share.

Also, If only this were true. I have so often thought of ideas, only to have companies use the microchips they install in our brains to take my idea and implement it. Jerks.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:03 am UTC

Ah, but did he check who helped fund it?
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

DarthMarth

Postby DarthMarth » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:05 am UTC

Can we just have this instead of the US Patent Office?

Uninfinity

Postby Uninfinity » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:05 am UTC

I just had an idea for a website where people post stories about ideas that they had that were stolen. It would all be public, like those 'My Life' websites. Now I just sit back and wait for someone to make it so that I can be ironic and post on the site about this post.

Wow, that last sentence sucked.
Last edited by Uninfinity on Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

LSN

Postby LSN » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:06 am UTC

iwanttobelieve wrote:I had the idea to make a joke about having the idea to write this comic WAY before all of you guys did.

I had this idea at some point between reading the comic and reading your post (exclusive). But I'm too lazy to do anything about it, really.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:07 am UTC

As far as digs against the messed-up patent system go, this one is beautifully unsubtle. :lol:
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

lorb

Postby lorb » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:27 am UTC

EduardoLeon wrote:
shashwat986 wrote:EDIT: Also, has anyone else noticed that stick-guy's using a mac?

If the argument is that the OS has those window-icons top-left instead of top-right it could as well be Ubuntu.

existentialpanda

Postby existentialpanda » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:43 am UTC

shashwat986 wrote:Also, has anyone else noticed that stick-guy's using a mac?

First thing I noticed.

(30% of your profit from that remark, please. Checks are fine. :wink: )

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:52 am UTC

I have come to the conclusion years ago that Inventors rarely, if ever, make money on their inventions. It is always the second of third person who comes along, learns from the mistakes, and successfully markets it.

Case in point: (hard-disk based) MP3 players existed before the Apple iPod.

That also explains why Microsoft buys large corporations buy out competitors instead of innovating.
Did you get the number on that truck?

serrath

Postby serrath » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:53 am UTC

This is a little angry and satirical for Randall, hope he's doing okay...

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:13 am UTC

phillipsjk wrote:That also explains why Microsoft buys large corporations buy out competitors instead of innovating.
That's a little unfair to everyone involved, I think.

"Innovate" isn't something that can be done on demand, after all, so big companies buying up smaller companies with brilliant ideas is generally good for everybody. The small-time innovators get the funding and exposure they need, more customers get treated to ideas than could reasonably be expected from the smaller outfit working on its own, and the big company--which now includes the original inventors, mind--gets a wider variety of product and more profits. Which allows the process to continue.

It's a lot better than big companies just stealing ideas, and it keeps smart and innovative people from going hungry. See also: Valve. Or if you'd prefer a Microsoft example: Bungie. Note that the latter is a good example of how a smaller outfit can thoroughly benefit from being taken in by a larger one, as they probably wouldn't have had the opportunity to become the big-name, independent group that they are now.

Also: the comic was pretty dull. I hope Randall gets back to doing stuff in the 5-minute-comic vein again.

Also also: five bucks says that the xkcdsucks entry is going to spend at least one paragraph bitching about the offset final panel. It may or may not be the very first paragraph. Thirty percent of profits if blah, blah, you get the idea.
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

Postby 1055 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:43 am UTC

For all those requesting money, you should use the theory in comic #816 to prove that 30% of zero is a positive number.

XerxesQados

Postby XerxesQados » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:45 am UTC

jolly wrote:could that be...product placement in xkcd?

No, it's authenticity. A) Because many computers have interfaces that actually look like that, and B) Which OS do you THINK the kind of person who'd file that kind of claim would use?
Contractions make the apostrophe so much more philanthropic, as it uses its efforts to unite rather than to hoard.

Lucia

Postby Lucia » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:22 am UTC

1055 wrote:For all those requesting money, you should use the theory in comic #816 to prove that 30% of zero is a positive number.

:D You win a Magical Ketchup Pump of Death.
Wildhound wrote:Nobody ever sigs me. I think it's because I never say anything clever.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:29 am UTC

Oh nice one Randall, now all the internet creeps on the east coast are gonna go bugging your friends in Middlesex. (Maybe they can all get together and go visit Maize Magic).

Matthias wrote:Or if you'd prefer a Microsoft example: Bungie. Note that the latter is a good example of how a smaller outfit can thoroughly benefit from being taken in by a larger one, as they probably wouldn't have had the opportunity to become the big-name, independent group that they are now.

Getting bought by Microsoft was when Bungie lost their independence. They were entirely self-published, self-controlled, and (except that minority share that Take Two bought toward the end) self-owned before then. And their games were better before they turned into a big-name sequel factory.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

mikekearn

Postby mikekearn » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:46 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:And their games were better before they turned into a big-name sequel factory.

Please don't state things like that as though your opinion were fact. Bungie's Halo series has, all together, sold tens of millions of copies. Whether you like it or not is irrelevant; they are doing much better as a company now than they were before.
"I will not succumb to temptation. Unless she's cute."

This is a haiku.
It has correct number of
Syllables. I think.

Visit the orphateria.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:58 am UTC

mikekearn wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:And their games were better before they turned into a big-name sequel factory.

Please don't state things like that as though your opinion were fact. Bungie's Halo series has, all together, sold tens of millions of copies. Whether you like it or not is irrelevant; they are doing much better as a company now than they were before.

And they were doing better at the time of the Myth series than at the time of the Marathon series, and better then than at any time before. They were doing progressively better over time as should be expected of a bunch of talented people. If it hadn't been for the Myth 2 Uninstaller bug fiasco and Oni's development hell that forced them into the financial dire straights that lead to them having to sell themselves, they might have gone on to be super successful and popular while remaining independent.

Granted, probably not as financially big as they are now, with the 8,000lb gorilla that is Microsoft shouting their name from the rooftops like some kind of albino shouting monkey, but money isn't everything, and I know I at least, in their shoes, would prefer creative integrity and independence with moderate success over selling out for fame and fortune. (Now, having to sell out so that you can continue eating, that I can understand, which is closer to the position they were in at the time, and so I mourn for them rather than scold them).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Mazuku

Postby Mazuku » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:40 am UTC

I will not try and claim that I thought of a profitable idea first without real proof, otherwise 10% of all the profits that come from chicken pizzas would be mine since I thought of the idea back in the 60s.

Instead I will put an idea down in this forum, so when someone uses my idea, the evidence will be here for all to see.

A new way to play Chess.

Chess: Fortunes of War
Attacking and Defending
Each player has 1d4 each.

Chess pieces are ranked to three categories from highest to lowest:
*1st King and Queen
*2nd Knight, Rook and Bishop
*3rd Pawn

When a piece attacks a lower ranked piece, they automatically win like in normal chess.
In cases where both players roll the same number (e.g: they both roll 3s) if the roll in question calls for Attacker’s Advantage, the attacking piece will win, but if the situation mentions the Defender’s Advantage, when the rolled numbers are the same, then the defending piece wins.

When a piece attacks an equally ranked piece, both players must roll their 1d4s, the higher number wins and its Attacker’s Advantage.

When a piece attacks a higher ranked piece, both players must roll their 1d4s, the higher number wins and its Defender’s Advantage.

Ransoming
Only a pawn that is being attacked by a higher ranked piece has the option to offer a ransom instead of being removed from the board.

To have the option of ransoming, the player being attacked must have captured at least one of the following; a Rook, Knight, Bishop or Queen.

When offered a ransom, the attacking player can choose to accept or decline the offer.

If declined, the pawn in question is removed as normal.

If the ransom is accepted, the pawn can choose which piece (other than a captured pawn) they will ransom, and then both players will roll with the pawn gaining Defender’s Advantage.

If the attacker wins, not only win the pawn be captured, the ransomed piece is given back to the attacker and placed anywhere on the attacker’s back row.

If there are no empty spaces on the back row, then it must be placed on the 2nd row, if that is also full, then the 3rd row, if not, then the 4th row.

If the defender wins, then the pawn remains in place and the attacking piece is captured by the defending player.

Winning the Game
Unlike normal chess, you don’t simply checkmate the King to win, you also must have defeated him in the dice roll that results from attacking him, only then can you claim victory.

If this is ever used; I want my money!
Allmächtige Exzentrikerin3

BOngo

Postby BOngo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:42 am UTC

That idea could be applied to different aspects:

Friend of mine is playing the guitar, he got mad a few times listening to new music "THEY STOLE THAT RIFF. I HAD IT IN MIND. LOOK, I EVEN STARTED A SONG..." [takes guitar][people flee]

Alt text would then be:
"We asked some of your co-workers, and you really DID hum the melody for at least two weeks in 1995. We used your share of the proceeds as compensation for their personal suffering - That song is dreadful!

Covane

Postby Covane » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:08 am UTC

lorb wrote:
EduardoLeon wrote:

If the argument is that the OS has those window-icons top-left instead of top-right it could as well be Ubuntu.

From an aesthetic perspective, I feel the drawing has a nicer flow with the buttons in the top-left. Ending short or something.

JTL

Postby JTL » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:13 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Oh nice one Randall, now all the internet creeps on the east coast are gonna go bugging your friends in Middlesex. (Maybe they can all get together and go visit Maize Magic).

Ash Tree Lane's from House of Leaves...
Yes, I did indeed sign up to say that...
In addition there are only five houses in that cul-de-sac! So unless they have a 'pick your own' numbering system, or one is actually the house from the book and the owner's decided to rent out their extra space I doubt there's a number 137!

Damn that last one's a good idea... I want my cut of the rent!

snowyowl

Postby snowyowl » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:37 am UTC

For the record, all my ideas are open-source and licensed under a Creative Commons license (2.2.5) unless otherwise stated.
The preceding comment is an automated response.

oddtail

Postby oddtail » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:43 am UTC

Heh... people don't seem to realise it, but an idea is just an idea.

A couple weeks back, I was at a fantasy/sci-fi/RPG type of con, and I attended a meeting with a guy (who was the co-author of an RPG that's been quite successful in Poland, and achieved a semi-legendary status long before it was first published) talking about game design. One of the major points of the presentation was "Ideas Are Cheap". The guy went to great lengths to explain what should really be rather obvious - that an idea is something great, but from having a good idea to having something that you can sell is a long, long road. He talked about it in the context of "don't be afraid to throw your ideas away as you work, you'll have several dozen more before you're finished", but he also joked about people complaining that someone "stole" their idea for a boardgame or whatever. Or people telling him that they "have this great idea for an RPG, but they won't tell him because they're afraid someone will steal them".

Guess that applies to more than just game design. Good comic, although it irritates me when people have this sort of attitude in real life. You can't make a fortune on an idea alone - people have ideas all the time. Heck, "I have a great idea, I won't share it 'cause people are bound to steal it" stops ideas from flowing freely. Which, in the age of the Internet, is not only silly, but also kinda harmful.

karmaVS

Postby karmaVS » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:52 am UTC

lorb wrote:
EduardoLeon wrote:

The popup (rather than drop-down) menu for “share you deserve”, is, as far as I know, unique to the mac. (On the other hand, if I’m wrong and you can get that kind of <select> button with gnome, I’d love to know how…)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”