0830: "Genetic Analysis"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

NixEOne

Re: 0830: "Genetic Analysis"

Postby NixEOne » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:15 am UTC

distractedSofty wrote:
Mirkwood wrote:
distractedSofty wrote:Everyone likes sex

*Ahem* No, not everyone. I suggest you take a look at http://www.asexuality.org to avoid making that mistake again.

*Ahem* Yes, everyone. I suggest you take a look at http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/everyone to avoid making that mistake again.

Spoiler:
For the lazy:

Usage notes
This can be used loosely to mean "the majority of people".

I was not trying to be exclusionary of any group, but you know well what I meant.

I nearly enjoyed this whole debate more then the comic....

On the watch issue, I'm the annoying person at work who is always asking you the time because they forgot to wear their watch...ahem.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:18 am UTC

bmonk wrote:If your parents are childless, there is a very good chance you will have no children also.

If your parents are childless then it can be logically proven that you will have no children.

Also it can be logically proven that you WILL have children.

And that two + pie = bananas.

All of the above, and many other things, can also be proven from your spouse being unmarried.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:15 am UTC

I'm wearing a watch but I'm not telling which wrist it's on.

And now I want to start a sentence with "My widow..."
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Afrael

Postby Afrael » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:28 am UTC

I know I am quite late to ask, but what exactly did they find in his mom's yearbooks? That she was already pregnant in highschool?

Also, my parents are messily divorced, so the probability of them having had sex within the last year is pretty much zero.

soraos21

Postby soraos21 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:49 pm UTC

rpgamer wrote:Fun birthday party game: Try to determine what holiday, if any, the individual was conceived on.

... If I did my math right, I was conceived on/near March 23rd... which puts it around St. Patrick's Day... right?
All things, even those you know not of, are point of view. Public acceptance is subjugation and so is individuality. Neutrality is the only path...neither publicly accepted nor individual. Enjoy your hidden slavery.

Sharkie

Postby Sharkie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:56 pm UTC

existentialpanda wrote:On the whole watch thing....

I wear a watch, and in fact I feel weird if I'm not wearing one. It's so much more convenient than digging out my phone from whatever pocket or bag I happen to have it in.

I wear it on the right, simply because that feels like the natural place to put it. (Am right-handed, by the way.) I specifically remember one instance when I was, oh, maybe eight, and I had just gotten a watch and put it on my right wrist, my dad told me that 'most people wear watches on the left.' His reason for this was, I believe, that if one were holding a drink or something in one's hand and turned one's arm to look at said watch, then one would spill whatever it was one was holding, so it was safer to wear it on the left. (The assumption being that people tend to hold things with their dominant hand, which I guess is fair.) He may have had other reasons, but this was the one he told me.

I thought this was silly, and have worn it on the right ever since.

My uncle spilled hot coffee on himself while checking the time once. =X

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:35 pm UTC

soraos21 wrote:
rpgamer wrote:Fun birthday party game: Try to determine what holiday, if any, the individual was conceived on.

... If I did my math right, I was conceived on/near March 23rd... which puts it around St. Patrick's Day... right?

St Patrick's is the 17th, so that's about a week off. It's closer to the Spring Equinox ... were your parents druids?
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

distractedSofty

Postby distractedSofty » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:51 am UTC

ConMan wrote:St Patrick's is the 17th, so that's about a week off. It's closer to the Spring Equinox ... were your parents druids?

You do realise that St Patrick's is well within the margin of error of the 23rd, right?

enderverse

Postby enderverse » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:16 am UTC

Just realized I was probably conceived a bit before christmas.

the classy corsair

Postby the classy corsair » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:31 am UTC

I knew it all along.

I feel so betrayed. I KNEW I WASN'T ADOPTED!

webgiant

Re: 830: "Genetic Analysis"

Postby webgiant » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:27 am UTC

distractedSofty wrote:
webgiant wrote:Yeah, um, here's the clue phone ringing for you: while yes, technically, our parents had sex to allow us to be born, none of us want to dwell on the idea of our parents having sex. NONE OF US! We'd rather hear we have inoperable cancer, three days to live, and the knowledge that the cancer will kill us in an agonizingly slow way, than think about our parents having sex.

Which is kind of crazy, when you think about it. Everyone likes sex, and most people would be happy for their friend (or jealous) if they knew they were "getting some". So why do people have this "thing" about their parents (some of the people that you like most in the world) doing something that makes them happy?

Part of the problem is that our parents are old people, and no one likes to think about old people having sex, except for old people and a very small minority who are turned on by old people having sex (and even they are repulsed by the idea of their old parents having sex).

buddy431 wrote:
Afakaz wrote:Well, if the bump on his wrist IS a watch, it's on his right wrist, which would imply that he's probably left handed.

He might also be a sex addict, which, coupled with the left-handedness, might explain the overgrown biceps on the left arm. </my $0.02>

SlyReaper wrote:I'm left handed and I wear my watch on the left wrist.

That's when I'm not carrying my steampunk-tastic clockwork skeleton pocket watch anyway.

I'm right handed, and I wear my watch on my right hand. People think it's inconceivable that a right handed person would wear a watch on his right hand (if they notice at all, which is rare). Is it sad that I registered just to post this?

I'm left-handed and I wear my watch on my left wrist. I think it's because Im always using my left hand more so I'm more likely to look at my left hand.

Mirkwood

Postby Mirkwood » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:16 pm UTC

distractedSofty wrote:
Mirkwood wrote:

*Ahem* No, not everyone. I suggest you take a look at http://www.asexuality.org to avoid making that mistake again.

*Ahem* Yes, everyone. I suggest you take a look at http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/everyone to avoid making that mistake again.

Spoiler:
For the lazy:

Usage notes

I was not trying to be exclusionary of any group, but you know well what I meant.

My "Collins English Dictionary" defines it as "every person; everybody". Besides, your supposed loose usage is important, because it does result in being exclusionary of a group (though most likely out of ignorance rather than malicious intent). Clearly, I didn't know what you meant at all.

Mirkwood

Postby Mirkwood » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:16 pm UTC

distractedSofty wrote:
Mirkwood wrote:

Spoiler:
For the lazy:

Usage notes

My "Collins English Dictionary" defines it as "every person; everybody". Besides, your supposed loose usage is important, because it does result in being exclusionary of a group (though most likely out of ignorance rather than malicious intent). Clearly, I didn't know what you meant at all, because you used improper terms to communicate that meaning.

distractedSofty

Postby distractedSofty » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:46 pm UTC

Mirkwood wrote:My "Collins English Dictionary" defines it as "every person; everybody". Besides, your supposed loose usage is important, because it does result in being exclusionary of a group (though most likely out of ignorance rather than malicious intent). Clearly, I didn't know what you meant at all, because you used improper terms to communicate that meaning.

(BTW: This board has edit functionality, which you should have used to change your post instead of double posting)

I would say it's you being deliberately obtuse, rather than my improper meaning, but to each his(edit: or non gender specific pronoun) own.

I am well aware that there a people who have no interest in sex, and, this may come as a shock to you, there are also those who actively dislike sex. (of course, I was trying to exclude those people. Those people suck.) The point is that I am not writing a government report in which I claim that everyone likes sex, in which case you would be quite right to correct me. This is an informal discussion about a webcomic, in which I feel quite justified in using informal language to point out the apparent contradiction, in many people, between "liking sex" and "being squicked out by parent sex".

Spoiler:
Because it seems that this thread requires it, I will point out that I do not actually think that people who dislike sex suck. I believe the point is that they don't.

TortoiseWrath

Postby TortoiseWrath » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:07 pm UTC

To resurrect a 30-month-old argument... left wrist.

Also, I think I was conceived in late July or early August... no holiday for me :(

Edit: [http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2011/08/16/139677354/in-which-we-lament-the-lack-of-holidays-in-august-which-is-grossly-unfair Editors' Day]... so ''that's'' why I have such a passion for <s>murdering</s> glaring at people who comma-splice.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:34 pm UTC

Speaking of which...

I just read that some studies are now showing that excessive diarrhea is hereditary. Evidently it runs in your genes.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:19 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Speaking of which...

I just read that some studies are now showing that excessive diarrhea is hereditary. Evidently it runs in your genes.

Hmmmmmm.
It could even be true. Studies are showing that our bacterial microbiota cultures do tend to be strongly inherited--and would likely correlate to excessive diarrhea...
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”