0837: "Coupon Code"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Joran

Re: 0837: Coupon Code

Postby Joran » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:33 pm UTC

ThinkGeek now has a coupon code "SUMMEROF1987".

It only works on orders over $50 and gives a $10 discount with the message "We know what you did. Now aren't you ashamed?" That's pretty awesome.

shashwat986

Postby shashwat986 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:52 pm UTC

Chris Dude70 wrote:
shashwat986 wrote:Strip corrected:

coupon_code (1) by shashwat_986, on Flickr

Cant be, because, if you read the alt-text, there is a comment about bobcats, implying that the seller is black hat guy in the first place...

No, that would imply someone could 1-up Black-Hat guy, and we know only Hat-stealing-gal can do that..

EDIT: The alt-text is just saying that with a coupon code like that, assuming it's true, no-one would think of sending a false parcel.... unless they're trying to kill someone... :?
Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin -- Tim Vine

mehughes124

Postby mehughes124 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:12 pm UTC

It may just be a coincidence, but this comic seems to be based off of a short story I read a little while ago called "Auggie Wren's Christmas Story". It's got a plot similar to this, and it's actually quite good.

It was later adapted into a film that starred Harvey Keitel. It is called "Smoke", and I didn't terribly care for it.

Anyway, here's a link to the story: http://www.christmasmagazine.com/en/spirit/story10.asp

I recommend you read it, seeing as it is a Christmas tale (in some ways).

10nitro

Postby 10nitro » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:15 pm UTC

jc wrote:
jozwa wrote:
edes wrote:
Steve the Pocket wrote:I'll go ahead and say it before someone else does, even though I don't really care: text bars don't have resize handles on them like multiline text boxes do. At least, not in any browser I've ever seen.

Google Chrome has them.

No it doesn't.

Yes it does.

At least the one textarea widget in the one chrome window on the one screen of this Macbook Pro has one resize handle. As does the Safari window on the other side of the screen. I tested the resize handle in the chrome window, and it worked.

You're confused. Chrome resizes <textarea>s (multiline boxes), not <input type="text">s (single line boxes). Most browsers do this behavior, and is what Steve is commenting on.

Although, in Firefox there's a setting buried somewhere deep in about:config to get it to do this (in 4.0, 3.x doesn't do any resizing).

[edit]phpBB doesn't like linking to about:config in url tags[/edit]
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
IT technician, GNU/Linux admin, comp. security guy
Eagle Scout
http://lukeshu.ath.cx

krucifi

Postby krucifi » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:17 pm UTC

shashwat986 wrote:
Chris Dude70 wrote:

Cant be, because, if you read the alt-text, there is a comment about bobcats, implying that the seller is black hat guy in the first place...

No, that would imply someone could 1-up Black-Hat guy, and we know only Hat-stealing-gal can do that..

EDIT: The alt-text is just saying that with a coupon code like that, assuming it's true, no-one would think of sending a false parcel.... unless they're trying to kill someone... :?

Im afraid you are wrong. even hat stealing girl couldnt one up Black hat guy, she merely thought she could. HOWEVER there was the extremely horrifying moment of Double black Hat guy.... although this guys isnt wearing a hat....
maybe this is the same guy from the strip where it asks for a secret question and answer
the question being where are the bodies hidden....
Yes, my name is the negative frequency of radioactive decay, of the initial speed of light's radius.
And on the eighth day God created Irony.
But on the ninth day Satan was all like, "Nuh uh!"
And ironically made Alanis Morrisette his minion.

RMo

Postby RMo » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:42 pm UTC

Werewolf wrote:If I start an online site...

Dude, take my advice: don't start an offline website. Even with that coupon code, nobody bought anything.

edbdqt

Postby edbdqt » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:24 pm UTC

Uh, where's the sales tax?

Unless he's buying fresh food online.

solobutterfly

Postby solobutterfly » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:47 pm UTC

sangnoir wrote:I am wondering if it is safe to redeem such a coupon code when you have to give your (home) address for shipping. I'd skip the shipping & collect, just so that I can feel safe @ home.

P.O. Boxes my friend. Forwarded mail and couriers as well. Plenty of ways to avoid discovery.

KShrike

Postby KShrike » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:57 pm UTC

pheonix7117 wrote:Oh how I wish the XKCD store had a place for a coupon code to try this....

That would be great! It would be funny!

But, like the embedded SQL drop table statement, he'd probably have a rebuttal like "Nice try".

[edit] And considering that he makes his livelihood off of XKCD merchandise, it would not be that wise to have coupon codes at all. [/edit]
On 10/10/10, My Little Pony started to appeal to adult males. Ya rly!
Forget the /b/ memes, and go watch the show and see what I mean. After all, the /b/ memes exist because the show itself is so cleverly written. Check it out!

LtBrenton

Postby LtBrenton » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:40 pm UTC

You know, I think Lilah over on CAD might be about to receive the bobcat, given coupon code guy is immune to it now... (not sure if linking is appropriate, mods edit it in if you think it adds relevance)

Retsam

Postby Retsam » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:45 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:It's so ironic, it's like rain on your wedding day.

Ed Byrne wrote:Only if you marry a weatherman and he sets the date!

QFT?

Dr Ug

Postby Dr Ug » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:08 pm UTC

KShrike wrote:
pheonix7117 wrote:Oh how I wish the XKCD store had a place for a coupon code to try this....

But, like the embedded SQL drop table statement, he'd probably have a rebuttal like "Nice try".

[edit] And considering that he makes his livelihood off of XKCD merchandise, it would not be that wise to have coupon codes at all. [/edit]
I almost thought one might have been added for just this reason.

It wasn't - I checked :(.
Where did my old signature go? :(

flippant

Postby flippant » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:17 pm UTC

ManaUser wrote:
kbinferno wrote:Does anyone else see the coupon code box as an opportunity, and then google the website + "coupon codes" ?

I used to, but it almost never worked so I kind of gave up on it.

start again. Either I got screwed on original pricing (possible) or coupon code + company saved me $75 this year in my online shopping. Mostly by giving me free shipping.

KShrike

Postby KShrike » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:34 pm UTC

Dr Ug wrote:
KShrike wrote:

I almost thought one might have been added for just this reason.

It wasn't - I checked :(.

Darn, what a shame. Maybe later on.

Also, I am hoping that, for the next comic, Randall does something involving the Net Neutrality... But that belongs in another thread.

krucifi wrote:
shashwat986 wrote:
Chris Dude70 wrote:

Im afraid you are wrong. even hat stealing girl couldnt one up Black hat guy, she merely thought she could. HOWEVER there was the extremely horrifying moment of Double black Hat guy.... although this guys isnt wearing a hat....
maybe this is the same guy from the strip where it asks for a secret question and answer
the question being where are the bodies hidden....

It's not the black hat guy. It couldn't be. The person who mails bobcats IS the black hat guy. The only one who could be the black hat guy would be the seller.
On 10/10/10, My Little Pony started to appeal to adult males. Ya rly!
Forget the /b/ memes, and go watch the show and see what I mean. After all, the /b/ memes exist because the show itself is so cleverly written. Check it out!

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:30 am UTC

StNowhere wrote:For the mere act of referencing that song, I must now hunt you down and decapitate you. Nothing personal.

Quoting that song is the textual equivalent of hunting one down and decapitating him, don't forget that. :)

gormster

Postby gormster » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:14 am UTC

edes wrote:
Steve the Pocket wrote:I'll go ahead and say it before someone else does, even though I don't really care: text bars don't have resize handles on them like multiline text boxes do. At least, not in any browser I've ever seen.

Google Chrome has them.

[url]data:text/html,<input type="text" />[/url]

Untrue. (Also, BBcode fail.)
Eddie Izzard wrote:And poetry! Poetry is a lot like music, only less notes and more words.

DVC

Postby DVC » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:53 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
sliverstorm wrote:@from canada: if all you have about his recent comics is complaints, why do you continue reading & posting about them?

Hey, Felstaff! Do you feel the same about posts like that? About the "get out of my head!"s too?

It's so ironic, it's like rain on your wedding day.

Or is it more like a free ride when you've already paid?

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:25 am UTC

edbdqt wrote:Uh, where's the sales tax?

/me facepalms. if it's not in the same state (I assume this is in the US), no sales tax.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

shashwat986

Postby shashwat986 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:25 am UTC

KShrike wrote:
It's not the black hat guy. It couldn't be. The person who mails bobcats IS the black hat guy. The only one who could be the black hat guy would be the seller.

The seller can't be black hat guy, coz he'd NEVER give a discount
Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin -- Tim Vine

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:02 am UTC

DVC wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:
sliverstorm wrote:@from canada: if all you have about his recent comics is complaints, why do you continue reading & posting about them?

Hey, Felstaff! Do you feel the same about posts like that? About the "get out of my head!"s too?

It could be that good advice that you just didn't take...
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

therocket

Postby therocket » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:24 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
DVC wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:

It figgers.

DavidRoss

Postby DavidRoss » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:57 am UTC

sangnoir wrote:I am wondering if it is safe to redeem such a coupon code when you have to give your (home) address for shipping. I'd skip the shipping & collect, just so that I can feel safe @ home.

You're not being paranoid. Some woman ordered sunglasses online, giving her home/shipping address and credit card. When she called to complain about being overcharged and the sunglasses being counterfeit, the seller threatened her by pointing out that he knew where she lived, even sending her the Google Maps picture of her apartment. Apparently, this guy discovered that the more of a jerk he was to customers, the more they'd complain online and that chatter would move his site up in Google searches. I won't say the name of the site, so as to not help, but it was in the NY Times a few weeks ago. I would not give out my home address, even though I live in a fairly tame county, unless I really know the company. [Of course, I would never buy something from an unknown site based on who bubbled up in a Google search for a product...

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:42 pm UTC

^ That explains why google changed their search results to not uprank based on negative reviews...

flippant

Postby flippant » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:22 pm UTC

DavidRoss wrote:

You're not being paranoid. Some woman ordered sunglasses online, giving her home/shipping address and credit card. When she called to complain about being overcharged and the sunglasses being counterfeit, the seller threatened her by pointing out that he knew where she lived, even sending her the Google Maps picture of her apartment. Apparently, this guy discovered that the more of a jerk he was to customers, the more they'd complain online and that chatter would move his site up in Google searches. I won't say the name of the site, so as to not help, but it was in the NY Times a few weeks ago. I would not give out my home address, even though I live in a fairly tame county, unless I really know the company. [Of course, I would never buy something from an unknown site based on who bubbled up in a Google search for a product...

Do you really think your online shopping habits make you a prime target for mobile home invading thieves that find their prey on the internet?
Of course I don't know your shopping habits, you might be spending $5000 at luvmyrolex.com or buying genuine Gucci bags for $$$.
I do think it's a bit paranoid to think they are going to target your house based on your purchase of a snuggie though.
Now I wouldn't be surprised if they took your credit card and stole your identity, but go to your house without knowing whether you have anything worth stealing? nah.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:56 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
DVC wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:

LOL!

However, the leak of Julian Assange's report, and his reaction, is ironic.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Persona

Postby Persona » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:56 pm UTC

The... the chair in panel two... is it not missing a back?

cdurr83

Postby cdurr83 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:32 pm UTC

Is it just me, or is this basically the same punchline as this SMBC comic

http://www.smbc-comics.com/?db=comics&id=665#comic

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:50 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
DVC wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:

You know it's really only the chrorus of that song that's not ironic. The verses contain actual examples of situational irony.

Imagine, for example, a film or a book or pick your favorite storytelling medium, featuring a character afraid of flying, with an impending flight in his future of which he is terrified. Everybody assures him how safe it is, shows him the statistics about how unlikely it is to die in a plane crash versus a car crash and so on and so on, guarantees him that his fears are unwarranted. And then he's finally convinced that they're right, he surmounts his fears, takes the flight... and that flight is one of the rare ones that crash. That's situational irony ("cosmic irony" specifically): we are lead along with the expectation that the man's fears are irrational and that the resolution of the story will be him taking a safe flight and proving that to himself. But then, unexpectedly, the situation is reversed, and it turns out that in this particular case, his fears happened to be right.

Alanis Morissette wrote:Mr. Play It Safe was afraid to fly
He packed his suitcase and kissed his kids goodbye
He waited his whole damn life to take that flight
And as the plane crashed down he thought
"Well isn't this nice..."

A much shorter version of the story, true, but then most stories told by songs are told in quick broad strokes, and the elaborated version I gave above was what these lines suggested to me on first hearing the song.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

ashfrost

Postby ashfrost » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:38 am UTC

ihaveasillyname wrote:
Inkstain wrote:Lame: I immediately wondered if the person on the other end of the coupon code was Lord Voldemort.

Lamer: Positing that as true, someone else is going to know off the top of their heads whether the 1987 date would make sense or not.

I guess this makes me lamer.

I'm reasonably sure that in the book-canon, Harry's birth and Voldemort's defeat at the end of the First Voldemort War were both in 1980. Then Voldemort disappears from the scene until shortly before Harry's first year at Hogwarts, which I believe is 1991. So Voldemort wouldn't be stealing from too many people in '87.
The film-canon, however, is generally regarded to be set about ten years later, due to the release of the films being well after that of the first books. So if we are going by the film dates, Voldemort would certainly have been able to steal from a dying woman in '87, but I doubt he'd just leave her 'dying'. It's not really in his character to keep people alive when he could just as easily kill them. And I have a hard time imagining Voldemort selling things on the internet.
So I think now we've sufficiently proved that BHG is not He Who Must Not Be Named, and can only hope that the possibility never occurs to us again.

Also I enjoyed this comic a lot. Got to remember to try this next time I buy something expensive.

You are a beautiful person.

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:58 am UTC

10nitro wrote:You're confused. Chrome resizes <textarea>s (multiline boxes), not <input type="text">s (single line boxes). Most browsers do this behavior, and is what Steve is commenting on.

Although, in Firefox there's a setting buried somewhere deep in about:config to get it to do this (in 4.0, 3.x doesn't do any resizing).

Actually, I wasn't as confused as you might think. I'd noticed that the OP used the phrase "text box". This isn't a valid HTML term. As you point out, the correct terms are <input type=text ...> and <textarea>...</textarea>. The OP could have meant either of these. However, the phrase "text box" is more likely to mean a "boxy" widget, i.e., a textarea, than a one-line input widget, so I took the liberty of pointing out that the latter does in fact have resize gadgets in several browsers.

It's interesting to read that at least one browser (FF) has (or had) some sort of support for resizing input text widgets. I didn't know about that, and I suspect that very few people know about it. Maybe that's why you never see it, and it could be why it's broken now. If nobody knows about it, it'd be easy to break it during a release, and nobody would notice.

I've never seen an input text widget with more than one line, and most people probably haven't, either. So it's easy to assume that they are hard-coded to be just a single line. But textarea widgets usually have multiple lines, and when someone talks about a "text box", that's almost certainly what they mean. Unless, of course, they've stumbled onto the idea that an input text widget may have multiple lines.

But back to counting the angels dancing on my pin ...

DavidRoss

Postby DavidRoss » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:46 am UTC

flippant wrote:Do you really think your online shopping habits make you a prime target for mobile home invading thieves that find their prey on the internet?
Of course I don't know your shopping habits, you might be spending $5000 at luvmyrolex.com or buying genuine Gucci bags for $$$.
I do think it's a bit paranoid to think they are going to target your house based on your purchase of a snuggie though.
Now I wouldn't be surprised if they took your credit card and stole your identity, but go to your house without knowing whether you have anything worth stealing? nah.

I am just sayin', it's happened. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/28/busin ... orker.html. OK, maybe not actually breaking into her house, but sending an e-mail with a photograph of the front of her apartment building and emailing “Close the dispute with the credit card company if you know whats good for you” and “Do the right thing and everyone goes away. I AM WATCHING YOU!” is - I think - just as bad as actually having someone steal stuff.

Ironically, being someone who would be out a few hundred pounds buying back all my junk on eBay after it is stolen from my apt, I am a little paranoid about who I give my address to. I guess it doesn't make much sense, but I'd feel really, really stupid if I left my car keys in a store somewhere, someone picked them up, walked out and pressed the button until my car beeped, got in and told my Nav system to go home. They know they'd beat me there, and then all of my spoon collection would be gone. And my snuggie.

TheoGB

Postby TheoGB » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:16 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
DVC wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:

You know it's really only the chrorus of that song that's not ironic. The verses contain actual examples of situational irony.

Imagine, for example, a film or a book or pick your favorite storytelling medium, featuring a character afraid of flying, with an impending flight in his future of which he is terrified. Everybody assures him how safe it is, shows him the statistics about how unlikely it is to die in a plane crash versus a car crash and so on and so on, guarantees him that his fears are unwarranted. And then he's finally convinced that they're right, he surmounts his fears, takes the flight... and that flight is one of the rare ones that crash. That's situational irony ("cosmic irony" specifically): we are lead along with the expectation that the man's fears are irrational and that the resolution of the story will be him taking a safe flight and proving that to himself. But then, unexpectedly, the situation is reversed, and it turns out that in this particular case, his fears happened to be right.

Alanis Morissette wrote:Mr. Play It Safe was afraid to fly
He packed his suitcase and kissed his kids goodbye
He waited his whole damn life to take that flight
And as the plane crashed down he thought
"Well isn't this nice..."

A much shorter version of the story, true, but then most stories told by songs are told in quick broad strokes, and the elaborated version I gave above was what these lines suggested to me on first hearing the song.

The choruses are ironic in the true sense of the word because they don't give any examples of irony. Of course, the theatrical/situational form of irony is the most popular form in the US and thus has become the recognised form over here in the UK, but in the past it was general used to mean saying something but meaning the opposite: e.g. if you meet someone and it's pissing down with rain and you open with, "Nice day, isn't it?" while grinning broadly. Most of the humour in Blackadder, particularly the later series, is based on such irony.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:52 am UTC

Essentially, the song should have been called "Unfortunate".
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

mark88man

Postby mark88man » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:17 am UTC

The Ed Byrne parody/analysis of Alanis Morrisette's song in which he suggests it should the "unfortunate" tag is really funny (middle aged - UK based).

http://www.mrcrowley.org/?page_id=7

For example
"...
you look at some of the lyrics like "a traffic jam when you're already late".... that's not ironic it's just a pain in the hole that's what that is. When was the last time you were late for something, got stuck in a traffic jam and thought "Look on the irony on this hey, there's irony for ya. I'll tell ya I was in a fierce ironic traffic jam the other day i'll tell ya. The irony was ninety."

No, there's nothing ironic about being stuck in a traffic jam when your late for something. Unless your a town planner. If you were a town planner and you late to a seminar of town planners at which you were giving a talk on how you solved the problem of traffic congestion in your area, couldn't get to it because you were stuck in a traffic jam, that'd be well ironic wouldn't it..... "Lads, I'm sorry I missed it, you'll never guess ".... Maybe thats what she meant?

"It's like rain on your wedding day", only if you're getting married to a weatherman and he set the date. It's simple innit?

..."

edbdqt

Postby edbdqt » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:49 pm UTC

nbonaparte wrote:
edbdqt wrote:Uh, where's the sales tax?

/me facepalms. if it's not in the same state (I assume this is in the US), no sales tax.

*DOH* On second thought, you are MOSTLY right. If the company you are doing business with has a physical nexus (i.e. distribution center, office, store) in the state to which they are shipping, they are generally required to collect sales tax. A company I worked for had to collect tax if you were in Kansas, Wisconsin, New York, Colorado, Pennsylvania, or California. It was a pain in the ass to get the new hires to remember this and we got constant shit from customers about it.

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:58 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:Essentially, the song should have been called "Unfortunate".

But the fact that the song is called "Ironic" is what makes it ironic!
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

davidstarlingm

Postby davidstarlingm » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:10 pm UTC

TheoGB wrote:The choruses are ironic in the true sense of the word because they don't give any examples of irony. Of course, the theatrical/situational form of irony is the most popular form in the US and thus has become the recognised form over here in the UK, but in the past it was general used to mean saying something but meaning the opposite: e.g. if you meet someone and it's pissing down with rain and you open with, "Nice day, isn't it?" while grinning broadly. Most of the humour in Blackadder, particularly the later series, is based on such irony.

I don't know what it's like in the UK, but over here in the US that would be more along the lines of sarcasm than irony.

In the US, sarcasm is saying one thing but meaning the opposite, as in the example you gave. We usually call a situation ironic when someone was expecting something positive but received something negative, or vice versa. For example: someone always says that they expect the worst in order to be pleasantly surprised when something good happens, but then what they claimed to expect actually happens to them. Irony.

squareroot

Postby squareroot » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:36 am UTC

jc wrote:
10nitro wrote:You're confused. Chrome resizes <textarea>s (multiline boxes), not <input type="text">s (single line boxes). Most browsers do this behavior, and is what Steve is commenting on.

Actually, I wasn't as confused as you might think. I'd noticed that the OP used the phrase "text box". This isn't a valid HTML term. As you point out, the correct terms are <input type=text ...> and <textarea>...</textarea>. The OP could have meant either of these. However, the phrase "text box" is more likely to mean a "boxy" widget, i.e., a textarea, than a one-line input widget, so I took the liberty of pointing out that the latter does in fact have resize gadgets in several browsers.

It's interesting to read that at least one browser (FF) has (or had) some sort of support for resizing input text widgets. I didn't know about that, and I suspect that very few people know about it. Maybe that's why you never see it, and it could be why it's broken now. If nobody knows about it, it'd be easy to break it during a release, and nobody would notice.

I've never seen an input text widget with more than one line, and most people probably haven't, either. So it's easy to assume that they are hard-coded to be just a single line. But textarea widgets usually have multiple lines, and when someone talks about a "text box", that's almost certainly what they mean. Unless, of course, they've stumbled onto the idea that an input text widget may have multiple lines.

But back to counting the angels dancing on my pin ...

Well, normally I like pedantry, but that post left me miffed. :?

Now, you were incorrect on line 11 - you called an "input text widget". Honestly I have no idea where you got the word widget ("Element" or sometimes "Control" is more standard), but the W3C mentions only - and in fact regularly - a "text input".

And when I say "text box", I mean a single-line box.

:wink:
<signature content="" style="tag:html;" overused meta />
Good fucking job Will Yu, you found me - __ -

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:22 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:

Jolly good times.
I ain't even mad

ashfrost wrote:The film-canon, however, is generally regarded to be set about ten years later, due to the release of the films being well after that of the first books. So if we are going by the film dates, Voldemort would certainly have been able to steal from a dying woman in '87, but I doubt he'd just leave her 'dying'.

Ah, but you're assuming that those films (or films in general) must take place in the same year they are made, which is quite far from the truth, and I don't think I need to give evidence in this case; if anyone thinks I should, though, it wouldn't be hard.

Anyway, it's easily possible that a film made in (I assume) 2001 could take place in 1991. In fact, given the visual setting that the film of HP1 has, I wouldn't be surprised if it had taken place in 1991. I also wouldn't be surprised if HP7 Part 1 had taken place in 2015 OR 1994.

EDIT: Double-post, my bad. I deleted it, but for some reason it's still there. Shit.
Last edited by SpringLoaded12 on Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:40 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

soren121

Re: 0837: "Coupon Code"

Postby soren121 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:46 pm UTC

This must be one of the sites Black Hat Guy uses to harvest passwords...
PHP/XHTML/CSS Programmer
http://www.sorenstudios.com/
Fueled by all of this and V8

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”