0846: "Dental Nerve"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Carlington

Re: 0846: "Dental Nerve"

Postby Carlington » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:58 am UTC

Vehemence wrote:
ARandomDude wrote:Bad format, Peter.

Fixed.

You, sir, are an incredible person and I have no earthly idea how everybody else missed that.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

michael24easilybored

Postby michael24easilybored » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:07 pm UTC

always thought from that song that kesha sounds like a poor mans uffie, which considering how rubbish uffie is doesn't say much about her

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:09 pm UTC

Carlington (The Aussie) wrote:
Vehemence wrote:

Fixed.

You, sir, are an incredible person and I have no earthly idea how everybody else missed that.

I googled "Bad format, Peter" ... it's not a meme ... so what is the joke?
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

YTPrenewed

Postby YTPrenewed » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:12 pm UTC

xkcd wrote:"WAKE up in the MORning and my BREATH ain't PREtty / and noBODY'S gonna KISS me if my MOUTH smells SHItty / so I ALways brush my TEETH before I START on the JACK / sure, my DRINKing's out of HAND, but I'm conTROLLing my PLAQUE."

Epic. Win.

But why brush with toothpaste BEFORE brushing with Jack Daniel's? Shouldn't it be brushing it with toothpaste AFTER brushing with Jack Daniel's?

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:05 pm UTC

jonadab wrote:If she wasn't born until 1987, she took the test several years after they "recentered the scale for today's students" (i.e., dumbed it down to make it easier to get a high score). Her 1500 would still be better than my relatively unremarkable 1320, but only by about fifty points, not the 180 you'd get with naive unconverted subtraction.

Do you have some proof that the average ("unrecentered") SAT scores dropped by 130 points? (If I understand your phrasing correctly.)

Also, there are practice exams for the math and reading part. Go ahead and take them and let's see if you get 1450.

Also, the SAT doesn't test whether you're a good student. (If that's all they want to know, they can just look at your high school transcript.

Except they can't, because the difficulty of the subjects/tests given and the way they are graded varies by state, city, school and teacher. Because the US has no national "end of schooling" exams like GCSE or A-levels and even state-wide tests are fairly recent, private national tests developed.

What the SAT tests, mostly, is whether you're any good at figuring things out. You can't do the analogies section if you function by rote memorization. You have to be able to actually think.

I have doubts about this. Analogies are also used on IQ tests, where they are for testing a certain type of logical thinking or language skill and not so much language knowledge. But the analogies of the SAT did not seem to me to be anything like this and also the SAT-related materials I have read make no such claim. If you know the meaning of all 10 words (1 is to 2 like (a) 3 to 4 (b) 5 to 6 (c) 7 to 8 or (d) 9 to 10), you should be able to answer the SAT question without too much difficulty. It's a vocabulary test, not much else. Also the SAT training materials for the analogies section focused on vocabulary.

The math section is also geared this way. Where the ACT math section carefully goes through all the different math units you've been taught in school since third grade and gives you one or two of each kind of problem to see if you remember how to do them (Can he do a classic mixture problem? Does he remember the Pythagorean theorem?), the SAT skips most of that and just focuses on testing whether you can figure stuff out.

Hard to say, as math tests are essentially always about figuring stuff out. One could also say it's a test of arithmetic, Algebra 1 and basic geometry, maybe. It's a reasonably good test of basic math skills and knowledge, anyway, as good as a multiple choice test for math can be.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:22 pm UTC

Monika wrote:
Carlington (The Aussie) wrote:
Vehemence wrote:

Fixed.

I googled "Bad format, Peter" ... it's not a meme ... so what is the joke?

Captain Hook, in all versions of the story, is rather obsessed with "good form", and especially in the 1991 Disney sequel "Hook" is renowned for declaring Peter Pan's trickery as "bad form". I can still hear Dustin Hoffman's voice in my head crying out "Bad form, Peter!"
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:33 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Captain Hook, in all versions of the story, is rather obsessed with "good form", and especially in the 1991 Disney sequel "Hook" is renowned for declaring Peter Pan's trickery as "bad form". I can still hear Dustin Hoffman's voice in my head crying out "Bad form, Peter!"

Ah, thanks :D

ericgrau

Postby ericgrau » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:55 am UTC

Actually Jack Daniels and mouthwash are roughly the same. Alcohol is a decent enough solvent and disinfectant too. What you're really missing is the flouride and abrasives for whitening. Still people's teeth survived before flouride and Jack Daniels is unlikely to cause serious problems as long as you still make your regular checkups.

Platypodes
Location: On a knot on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea

Postby Platypodes » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:23 am UTC

ericgrau wrote:Actually Jack Daniels and mouthwash are roughly the same. Alcohol is a decent enough solvent and disinfectant too. What you're really missing is the flouride and abrasives for whitening. Still people's teeth survived before flouride and Jack Daniels is unlikely to cause serious problems as long as you still make your regular checkups.

My thoughts were much the same.

By far the most important part of brushing your teeth is the toothbrush, not the paste, and strong alcohol swished around in your mouth is excellent for your teeth. If you look at it strictly from an oral hygiene perspective, brushing your teeth with a bottle of Jack really isn't such a bad way to go. Turn you into a frickin' alcoholic? Sure, but you'd probably be an alcoholic with okay teeth.

I'm kind of surprised that Randall did this one; it's not grounded in science like most of his work...
videogamesizzle wrote:so, uh, seen any good arbitrary, high numbers lately?

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:55 pm UTC

junes wrote:to hear that song and think about dental hygiene is more original than you'll ever be.

Uh, not to be That Guy, but, uh...I'm pretty sure there have been about seventy Facebook groups with this punchline as a title since, like, a year and a half ago. And didn't he do the same thing with All The Single Ladies?

Also:

rabe wrote:
ARandomDude wrote:Also lol this song is annoying. I like Randall's version better.

Guns 'n' Roses is awesome. :twisted:

...What the crap?
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

hijabihoodlum

Postby hijabihoodlum » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:31 pm UTC

Alienjoey wrote:Ke$ha could be to the pop music genre what Stephen Colbert is to cable news anchors/commentators.

Thank you.

TuxDotKing

Postby TuxDotKing » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:12 am UTC

sninctown wrote:I think it's because this song makes you face your flaws. On the deepest level you want to be beautiful and party with sexually attractive and available people all the time. But, you don't, and wonder why not. Surely it can't be because you're not awesome enough. It can't be because your pseudo-intellectual snobbery is a craven affectation you chose to let you imagine your phobias and flaws as strengths. You choose to hide behind your "rationality" to avoid facing the truth. Recall that Feynman was a musical, sexual and somewhat sketchy person, and stop pretending you don't share the desires that define the human experience.

I'm actually shocked and somewhat depressed you put the very essence of my being into words. :(

vestlen

Postby vestlen » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:30 am UTC

I was listening to Slacker radio and an ad came on about Ke$ha.

It was her defense of this exact practice. Apparently she thinks that jack is a good mouthwash if that's all you have, and she also talked about waking up naked in a bathtub somewhere. Who'da thought?? :o

I really hope that this comic had something to do with it. :D

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:49 am UTC

One of my criteria from blacklisting people in real life is that they relate to the lyrical content of the Kesha song in question.
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:02 am UTC

Now that I know that Ke-cash-ha was being "ironic", I no longer dislike her for her bad song lyrics. I dislike her for her bad "ironic" song lyrics that most of her fans (and most of her detractors, too) will fail to recognise as such, thus making her either too smart or not smart enough for her own good. At least most of Stephen Colbert's fans know about the persona.

And, like Rebecca, I will continue to dislike Tik Tok for the fact that it's used abso-bloody-lutely everywhere. Like All Star by Smashmouth about 10 years ago, it seems like there's some clause that says that any film or TV show in a certain category made in 2009-10 had to include a clip of the song either in it or in ads for it, as decreed by "creative" people who, like the other people I mention above, don't get the "irony" and just assume that it's a straight-up party song.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

TheSavageNorwegian

Postby TheSavageNorwegian » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:00 pm UTC

tetsujin wrote:
existentialpanda wrote:I thoroughly approve of this one. Tiktok needs to die in a fire.

But... How is Dorothy supposed to rescue her friends from the Nome King without his help?

I couldn't stop laughing. I guess Dorothy will have to travel through Oz alone, something she doesn't seem to be very good at.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”