0849: "Complex Conjugate"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

soren121

0849: "Complex Conjugate"

Postby soren121 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:01 am UTC

Alt-text: Fun fact: if you say this every time a professor does something to a complex-number equation that drops the imaginary part, they'll eventually move the class to another room and tell everyone else except you.

No idea what a complex conjugate is, but I'm assuming it's something dreaded.

EDIT: Oh, I get it now: the teacher dropped the imaginary part. Thanks to Randall for making me research my most hated subject at midnight.
Last edited by soren121 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:08 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
PHP/XHTML/CSS Programmer
http://www.sorenstudios.com/
Fueled by all of this and V8

meat.paste

Re: 0849: "Complex Conjugate"

Postby meat.paste » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:06 am UTC

I thought, "that's cute." Then I read the title text and did a simultaneous facepalm and LOL. Very nice.
Huh? What?

ST47

Postby ST47 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:07 am UTC

Google it.

Alternately, if you have a complex number a+bi, the complex conjugate is a-bi. So, multiplying these together gives (a^2+abi-abi-b^2*i*2)=(a^2+b^2). Which, as you'll note, happens to be real.
Therefore, shit just got real.

j16sdiz

Postby j16sdiz » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:08 am UTC

soren121 wrote:No idea what a complex conjugate is, but I'm assuming it's something dreaded.

EDIT: I'm assuming in this problem that multiplying the waveform by its complex conjugate would yield a real number. Thanks to Randall for making me research my most hated subject at midnight.

No, complex conjugate make YOU become real.

shashwat986

Postby shashwat986 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:08 am UTC

AWESOME!!!

A complex number is of the form a + ib where a and b are real number, and i=sqrt(-1)
It's conjugate will be a - ib. If we multiply them together, we get: (a + ib)(a - ib) = a^2 + b^2 which is always real.

Just thought I'd clear the air a bit.

EDIT: Whoops... Seems I'm the second guy to explain that
Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin -- Tim Vine

Belteshazzar

Postby Belteshazzar » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:11 am UTC

I have a math professor who is in the habit of saying things like "... defines a real Banach space. (pause) A real Banach space, Daddy? Yes, son, a real Banach space."

Mazuku

Postby Mazuku » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:13 am UTC

The maths involved here is way beyond me abd if the strip is anything to go by, is way beyond even many maths geeks, am I right?
Allmächtige Exzentrikerin3

Retsam

Postby Retsam » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:17 am UTC

It's actually really not that high level of math; just moderately obscure. They're one of the most basic principles of imaginary numbers, so I think we talked about them in High School Algebra when we briefly discussed imaginary numbers.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:20 am UTC

I'd never heard the phrase "complex conjugate" before (it sounds like a grammar term), and I only knew the term "wavefunction" from descriptions of the Schrodinger's cat thing (still don't know what it means... something to do with quantum mechanics I suppose), but I was still able to figure out that the punchline had to do with imaginary numbers.

And now that I know that quantum physics involves imaginary numbers, it makes a little more sense why people tend to find it so alien. Literally, if you happen to work for Valve.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Snkz

Postby Snkz » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:20 am UTC

I'm sure many of you have seen a conjugate before. It does not have to involve complex numbers at all. Many times with fractions, multiplying the numerator and denominator by the denominators conjugate allows for some simplification tricks. Its done a lot with trig fractions.

Draco18s

Postby Draco18s » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:21 am UTC

Reminds me of a friend of mine who had 3 cans of Nos (energy drink) and walked into calculus and played a drinking game.

Every time the professor said, "z" he would take a shot of Nos. It was not a good day to pick "z," as every function that day was a z= function.

Hour later he was 9 shots behind and the professor had slowed down to let him catch up.

Three hours later I saw him and he was speaking so fast I couldn't understand him.

s0merand0mdude

Postby s0merand0mdude » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:22 am UTC

A math/science joke I actually get! I just learned this stuff last week! Whoo for the education system!!
unus vox wrote:Then again, you're looking for characterization, compelling dialogue, and cohesion in a 3-panel web comic with stick figures.

Tyrannosaur

Postby Tyrannosaur » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:31 am UTC

j16sdiz wrote:No, complex conjugate make YOU become real.

Only in soviet russia.
Last edited by Tyrannosaur on Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
djessop wrote:The t-shirt should read "There are 11 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who insist the number above is pronounced as eleven no matter what base you're in".

Andromeda321

Postby Andromeda321 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:33 am UTC

I'm trying to figure out how sad it is that I had a friend in undergrad physics who would say this during our homework sessions for quantum. Or awesome, depending who you ask.

Mike_Bson

Postby Mike_Bson » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:34 am UTC

Since I love complex analysis, this is my new favorite comic.

torontoraptor

Postby torontoraptor » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:40 am UTC

I just giggled for 30 seconds straight. This right here, this is why the world is awesome.*

*well this along with a myriad of other things that it would be exhaustive and rather pointless to write out
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

sedoris

Postby sedoris » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:51 am UTC

Lol, I'm in quantum chemistry right now and we're just starting to talk about wavefunctions now. I lol'd. Thanks randall

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:53 am UTC

I read the comic and the alt text a couple times. Then I re-read the punch line and literally lol'ed. I surprised my self because usually im just :) or :?
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

dysprog

Postby dysprog » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:07 am UTC

Ok, the cheese is well toasted, but I did not get the alt-text. Was there another joke that that I was supposed to see?

wisnij

Postby wisnij » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:20 am UTC

Pose as a team, because... wait, wrong webcomic.
I burn the cheese. It does not burn me.

black_hat_guy

Postby black_hat_guy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:22 am UTC

This comic would be almost as funny if real numbers were not called real. The alt-text implies that Randall has done this before to a professor, and the whole thing is kind of absurd if you think about it.
Billy was a chemist.
He isn't any more.
What he thought was H2O
was H2SO4.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:22 am UTC

Yes, multiplying something by its complex conjugate results in a real number. In this comic, Randall turns this into a terrible pun and then points out that repeating such a terrible pun will annoy people to the point that they ditch you. Thanks, Einstein. :P
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

cyanyoshi

Postby cyanyoshi » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:29 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Yes, multiplying something by its complex conjugate results in a real number. In this comic, Randall turns this into a terrible pun and then points out that repeating such a terrible pun will annoy people to the point that they ditch you. Thanks, Einstein. :P

Almost makes me want to not let Randall get away with putting such bad puns on his webcomic...

Almost.

pyroman

Postby pyroman » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:32 am UTC

This one had me laughing for a good 30 sec. I got to take plenty of signals classes so I was doing this all the time much to the displeasure of everyone around me... oh who the hell am I kidding? My friends are all just as nerdy as I am. They found it hilarious as well (well at least the first few times... :? )
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Byerley

Postby Byerley » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:41 am UTC

It may be moderately obscure math, but it's really common in physics. In electronics and quantum especially, probably other branches too that aren't coming to mind, it's much easier to work with the functions in imaginary space, but you need to take the projection onto real space at some point to get an observable value out of it. I do it all the time, but it still took ~30s of blank staring to finally get the pun :( . Maybe I'm just bad at puns.

tntc

Postby tntc » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:06 am UTC

I have to confess, sometimes I laugh at XKCD despite having no idea what anything in the first three panels meant. That's right, shit just got fake.

fenrir_darkwolf

Postby fenrir_darkwolf » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:22 am UTC

soren121 wrote:Thanks to Randall for making me research my most hated subject at midnight.

What's your most hated subject? Quantum mechanics? Have you taken a quantum course? It's quite nice once you get over how much maths formalism there is (not that there is anything wrong with maths formalism :P )
"You're gonna have to learn everything anyway, so which is first is not essential."
-Richard Feynman

fenrir_darkwolf

Postby fenrir_darkwolf » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:27 am UTC

Mike_Bson wrote:Since I love complex analysis, this is my new favorite comic.

Nice avatar btw :P. Guess we both got action this comic.
"You're gonna have to learn everything anyway, so which is first is not essential."
-Richard Feynman

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:30 am UTC

I hate complex numbers. I mean, calculus was hard enough to begin with, why the hell did they have to go and invent imaginary numbers? Were they deprived of imaginary friends as children and now want to get back at the rest of the world?

On topic, that was one of the worst math puns I've ever heard. Well done Randall.

dysprog wrote:Ok, the cheese is well toasted, but I did not get the alt-text. Was there another joke that that I was supposed to see?

No, it's not a joke. It's true.
Try it.
Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org

Tetrinity

Postby Tetrinity » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:46 am UTC

I actually have an Algebra exam in about an hour and a quarter, and really wasn't looking forward to it. This comic made me burst out laughing, and I must say I'm feeling quite a bit better about it. Now I just need to make sure I don't laugh everytime I use the complex conjugate of a number in the exam...

"(4-3i)/(2+i), eh? Okay, no problem, let's just multiply top and bottom by the complex conjuga- BWHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA"

Mike_Bson

Postby Mike_Bson » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:00 am UTC

Max2009 wrote:I hate complex numbers. I mean, calculus was hard enough to begin with, why the hell did they have to go and invent imaginary numbers? Were they deprived of imaginary friends as children and now want to get back at the rest of the world?

Moments like this make me feel like the only person in the world who likes complex numbers as much as I do.

KShrike

Postby KShrike » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:01 am UTC

Nice! I would love to be back in High School right now. Not so I can say it, but so I can hear someone else say it. Unfortunately, people won't be saying that statement where I am going.
On 10/10/10, My Little Pony started to appeal to adult males. Ya rly!
Forget the /b/ memes, and go watch the show and see what I mean. After all, the /b/ memes exist because the show itself is so cleverly written. Check it out!

Mapar

Postby Mapar » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:06 am UTC

This comic had me laughing out loud, genuinely. :D I liked it.
Hi.

Lucia

Postby Lucia » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:29 am UTC

Once I got that the guy wasn't the professor, I chuckled.
Wildhound wrote:Nobody ever sigs me. I think it's because I never say anything clever.

NotAllThere

Postby NotAllThere » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:31 am UTC

Complex numbers are very cool and interesting objects. Some infinite series don't really make sense if you only consider the field or reals. Euler's identity makes sense when it's considered as a rotation in the complex plane. They're absolutely essential to much physics and engineering and very helpful for solving certain polynomials.

Complex conjugates are used in complex division, converting it to multiplication. w/z = w/z times z'/z' = (w.z') / (z.z') = (w.z')/x Where w and z are complex numbers, z' is the complex conjugate of z, and x is a real number.
yangosplat wrote:So many amazing quotes, so little room in 300 characters!

ramparts

Postby ramparts » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:39 am UTC

Wow, props to Randall for three physics/astro based comics in a row (and all pretty funny ones, too). I approve!

Mazuku wrote:The maths involved here is way beyond me abd if the strip is anything to go by, is way beyond even many maths geeks, am I right?

Absolutely not - a maths geek who's graduated high school should get this.

Belteshazzar wrote:I have a math professor who is in the habit of saying things like "... defines a real Banach space. (pause) A real Banach space, Daddy? Yes, son, a real Banach space."

Your math professor sounds awesome :mrgreen:

EDIT: And apparently after 4 months of studying in England, I've taken to alternating between "math" and "maths." :facepalm:
Last edited by ramparts on Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Ronfar

Postby Ronfar » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:46 am UTC

Max2009 wrote:I hate complex numbers. I mean, calculus was hard enough to begin with, why the hell did they have to go and invent imaginary numbers? Were they deprived of imaginary friends as children and now want to get back at the rest of the world?

Amazingly enough, calculus actually gets easier when you introduce complex numbers. Trying to do calculus on functions of two or more real variables quickly becomes a real pain in the neck, but if you can use a complex function instead, things become much simpler. You don't have to worry about such things as curl, divergence, the del operator, or any of that other stuff - if the function has "is analytic" and has a derivative at all, you can find it the same way you find derivatives of real functions. And analytic functions have all sorts of other properties that make them easier to work with, too.

Also, to answer your other question, imaginary numbers were invented in order to solve cubic equations - when you plug numbers into the cubic formula, you sometimes end up having to deal with imaginary terms in the process of getting your answer, even if all three roots are real.
- Doug

Nyerguds

Postby Nyerguds » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:03 am UTC

soren121 wrote:Alt-text: Fun fact: if you say this every time a professor does something to a complex-number equation that drops the imaginary part, they'll eventually move the class to another room and tell everyone else except you.

IT'S TITLE-TEXT DAMMIT! :evil:

(...this board needs a RAAAAGE smiley -_-)

I got it from the moment I read the title text. Never done this in physics, and complex-number math has been a while ago for me.

Auliya

Postby Auliya » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:32 am UTC

"Get out of my head, Randall!"

I'm studying Optoelectronics right now, and although the complex domain is nothing new for me, theese days even a simple complex conjugate can put me in a state of stupor, where I stare at the page for two minutes without actually seeing the formulae in front of me.

EDIT: @fenrir_darkwolf: I wish I hadn't noticed your avatar... there's no escape!

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:20 am UTC

Meh. Old joke. Really old. Stale. There are already T-shirts with it.

But I LOL'd at the alt text :D .
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”