0858: "Milk"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
theGoldenCalf;
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:16 am UTC
Location: Elbow deep inside the borderline

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:59 am UTC

eviloatmeal wrote:"Don't hesitate to let me know when you are in fact lactating!"


You'll know for sure when a baby bursts head first through her vagina. Wait for a few days and voila. True story.

Other than that, Mr. Munroe is officially on a roll. Go go Randall :D
それは彼女が言ったことだ!

ElectricTurtle
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:56 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby ElectricTurtle » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:40 am UTC

theGoldenCalf; wrote:
eviloatmeal wrote:"Don't hesitate to let me know when you are in fact lactating!"


You'll know for sure when a baby bursts head first through her vagina. Wait for a few days and voila. True story.

Other than that, Mr. Munroe is officially on a roll. Go go Randall :D


You have that backward. Lactation begins a few days (weeks even) before delivery. Newborns are frequently first fed within the first hour after delivery.

lorb
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:34 am UTC
Location: Austria

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby lorb » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:41 am UTC

NotAllThere wrote:So long as a woman has had one baby, lactation can be induced.


Wikipedia says: "Women who have never been pregnant are sometimes able to induce enough lactation to breastfeed." see here
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
http://decodedarfur.org/

spekkeh
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:13 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby spekkeh » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:08 am UTC

Really? I'm the first one?

GET OUT OF MY HEAD RANDALL

User avatar
SirMustapha
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:37 am UTC

Really? I'm the first one?

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU, RANDALL?

Really? Lactation? Since when is that funny? Why on Earth would an exchange like that be anywhere as funny? I suppose the "joke" here is that women could freak men out if their thoughts turned out to be predictable, or something. Well, here is a hint: if a joke seems extraordinarily weak and unfunny, it is NOT by making it freaky and disturbing that you will make it humorous. Nobody cares about your fetishes, Randall.

User avatar
thyristor
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:51 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby thyristor » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:45 am UTC

Great, now I'll be thinking of this during the whole subway ride.
Thanks.

Steroid
Posts: 549
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:50 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Steroid » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:00 pm UTC

Response 1: "There are those medical conditions where *I* could lactate. . . "

Response 2: "The fact that you didn't immediately storm out for me thinking that is promising. . . Do you want to have a baby?"

RabbitWho
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 10:16 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby RabbitWho » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:01 pm UTC

squareroot wrote:THIS IS THE RIGHT THREAD PPLZ

Was the only one to first think of the gay-rights movie? It could be because I had heard it mentioned in another context no more than 30 minutes ago, but ah..

I want this on a t-shirt. (And then I want to be a woman so that I can wear it)



I thought of that too, but I saw the movie last summer and it made me a bit obsessed.

I'm going to try this on ....>>>>MY BOYFRIEND<<<<<...... the next time we're in a similar situation.

User avatar
tipo test
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 12:15 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby tipo test » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:19 pm UTC

spekkeh wrote:GET OUT OF MY HEAD MEGAN


Fixed.

User avatar
cjmcjmcjmcjm
Posts: 1158
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:15 am UTC
Location: Anywhere the internet is strong

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:58 pm UTC

I had this problem with my ex-girlfriend. Needless to say, we're not together anymore
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

User avatar
Tass
Posts: 1909
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:21 pm UTC
Location: Niels Bohr Institute, Copenhagen.

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Tass » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:26 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Really? I'm the first one?

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU, RANDALL?

Really? Lactation? Since when is that funny? Why on Earth would an exchange like that be anywhere as funny? I suppose the "joke" here is that women could freak men out if their thoughts turned out to be predictable, or something. Well, here is a hint: if a joke seems extraordinarily weak and unfunny, it is NOT by making it freaky and disturbing that you will make it humorous. Nobody cares about your fetishes, Randall.


Yeah, I don't get it either.

marsman57
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:40 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby marsman57 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:32 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Really? I'm the first one?

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU, RANDALL?


You might have been the first, but I second the motion. Seriously:
1. It is creepy.
2. Where's the funny?
3. The alt is even creepier.

I would venture to say this is the worst xkcd ever, even counting that awful TGI Fridays comic.

User avatar
Sprocket
Seymour
Posts: 5951
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:04 pm UTC
Location: impaled on Beck's boney hips.
Contact:

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Sprocket » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:50 pm UTC

:-) I don't often assume that Randall is talking about real life, but I've met Rosemary. While it's likely this exchange did not precisely take place, I chose to think this comic is about the hive mind that becomes between two people in lurve, and having a girlfriend who is as weird as you are.

SirMustapha wrote:Really? I'm the first one?

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU, RANDALL?

Really? Lactation? Since when is that funny? Why on Earth would an exchange like that be anywhere as funny? I suppose the "joke" here is that women could freak men out if their thoughts turned out to be predictable, or something. Well, here is a hint: if a joke seems extraordinarily weak and unfunny, it is NOT by making it freaky and disturbing that you will make it humorous. Nobody cares about your fetishes, Randall.
I think you're crazy. Get that checked.

Magic Molly wrote:Only glasnt could make a thread 10 minutes later than two others and have it still become the main thread. (Why we don't just use a script to autogenerate the threads is beyond me)
Yeah, no one should have to start Indv. comic threads, they should be part in parcel to the comic going up.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

User avatar
Hamsvlekiss
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:58 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Hamsvlekiss » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:01 pm UTC

Incidentally, lactation can be induced with enough stimulation . . . even in males.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... ate&sc=rss

User avatar
Sprocket
Seymour
Posts: 5951
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:04 pm UTC
Location: impaled on Beck's boney hips.
Contact:

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Sprocket » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:05 pm UTC

Hamsvlekiss wrote:Incidentally, lactation can be induced with enough stimulation . . . even in males.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... ate&sc=rss

That is lovely.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

User avatar
tastelikecoke
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:58 am UTC
Location: Antipode of Brazil
Contact:

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby tastelikecoke » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:22 pm UTC

marsman57 wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU, RANDALL?

I would venture to say this is the worst xkcd ever, even counting that awful TGI Fridays comic.

What you say is true. Just when did random humour become funny?

jgh
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:04 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby jgh » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:26 pm UTC

Him: (thinks) Oh no, she's psychic!
Her: (thinks) No, I'm not!

dchen05
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:51 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby dchen05 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:01 pm UTC

Technically, all you need to lactate is prolactin, which will:
1) begin creation of the milk
2) induce oxytocin, which will allow the milk to be "let-down" once it's made

Prolactin is also one of the positive feedback mechanisms in the body and is triggered by manual stimulation. This is typically infant suckling, but enough stimulation I think will eventually induce lactation in most women (not so sure about men!).

Curiously enough, prolactin is inhibited by estrogen and progesterone, so this won't work for women on some forms of contraception.

marsman57
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:40 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby marsman57 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:03 pm UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:
marsman57 wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU, RANDALL?

I would venture to say this is the worst xkcd ever, even counting that awful TGI Fridays comic.

What you say is true. Just when did random humour become funny?


I can even appreciate some random humor, but this well... it just falls flat.

jgh wrote:Him: (thinks) Oh no, she's psychic!
Her: (thinks) No, I'm not!


This joke is basic, but still leagues better than Randy's!

Sprocket wrote::-) I don't often assume that Randall is talking about real life, but I've met Rosemary. While it's likely this exchange did not precisely take place, I chose to think this comic is about the hive mind that becomes between two people in lurve, and having a girlfriend who is as weird as you are.


Does this mean he'll finally get over Megan?


Edit: On an unrelated note, I forgot to add this in my first post, but I absolutely can't believe some people are trying to give him an 'out' about the leg thing in panel 3.

User avatar
ImTestingSleeping
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:46 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby ImTestingSleeping » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:38 pm UTC

Am... I the only one who has actually never had this thought?

User avatar
neoliminal
Posts: 626
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:39 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby neoliminal » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:52 pm UTC

Never thought about it, which might explain why I mis-read the last panel as:

"Oh my god, she's psychotic."
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

MagentaHawk
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:52 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby MagentaHawk » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:56 pm UTC

I don't know about you guys, but I found this pretty hilarious. The alt-text was so-so, but its just showing the differences in the female and male brain and she understands that. Maybe I think it's funnier since I have been in this situation (ish). Also he might not be being creepy, just economical. Why buy a gallon of cow milk when there is a woman over there with free milk?

User avatar
Inglonias
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:54 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Inglonias » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:00 pm UTC

Yeah. Most of the new xkcds aren't very funny. I think it'll get better soon, though.

User avatar
SpringLoaded12
Posts: 350
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:58 am UTC
Location: Guarding the Super Missile
Contact:

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:04 pm UTC

gooley wrote:
mdistancerunner wrote:
gooley wrote:WTF @ her lack of legs in the 3rd panel.


In an interesting phenomenon, females typically feel comfortable in a cross-legged position.


One would assume it to be a difficult position to assume in an armchair.

However, some armchairs are wide enough to accommodate the position (Two definitions of "assume" in the same sentence... very clever).
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

Gamer_2k4
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:09 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:11 pm UTC

Inglonias wrote:Yeah. Most of the new xkcds aren't very funny. I think it'll get better soon, though.


Why?

Aic
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:57 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Aic » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:18 pm UTC

...Vhat. I think I don't get it.
A) I'm happy when my partner can basically read my thoughts so I don't have to explain every crap that's stuck in my brain.
B) ....vhat.
I guess I just don't get some really funny references here or something.
I do gud englisch. Also, yes, I'm a girl. Sorry.

spekkeh
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:13 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby spekkeh » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:21 pm UTC

He's thinking about boobs 50% of the time. The only reason you could think that's fucked up is because you miss testes. Or think it's too conservative but not yet ironically so.

If you want an intelligent meta-narrative out of this, you could see it as a pun on the fact that Beavis and Butthead are returning on MTV, or something like that.

Aic
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:57 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Aic » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:56 pm UTC

spekkeh wrote:He's thinking about boobs 50% of the time. The only reason you could think that's fucked up is because you miss testes.

No, thinking about/staring at boobs about 50% of the time is fine (even a compliment, maybe), but that's not yet funny. I do indeed lack testes, maybe that's the problem at that point.
What disturbed me was that my thoughts go like this:
Guy staring at girls boobs fantasizing about milking her (though that topic is random in the comic): sexual fetish.
Lactation: Babies, in first place (...which are bad enough).
Babies: don't go well with sexual fetishes in my head at the same time.
Thus, of course, today's comic caught me off guard! English is not my first language, though, maybe I miss some metaphorical stuff about milking girls, so I thought I should ask. x) Which I did without doubt in a very eloquent way!
(...Still, "vhat?")
I do gud englisch. Also, yes, I'm a girl. Sorry.

ezzieyguywuf
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:05 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby ezzieyguywuf » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:05 pm UTC

glasnt wrote:
gooley wrote:
mdistancerunner wrote:
gooley wrote:WTF @ her lack of legs in the 3rd panel.


In an interesting phenomenon, females typically feel comfortable in a cross-legged position.


One would assume it to be a difficult position to assume in an armchair.


Not really, in a good lazy boy, it's super comfy and easy to get into (assuming flexibility). Curling up into a comfy chair with a comfy book is awesome. Can't get the same effect with a laptop/smartphone, I'd found. It's sad :( Lucky I have real books to read. Got 1984 and Catch 22 I need to read still, paperback versions ;)


Re: Alt, the ability to make the milk comment is more likely than this http://xkcd.com/628/. That's saying something


I've seen my wife and other women very comfortably assume this position in an armchair. Personally, I find it sexy.

marsman57
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:40 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby marsman57 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:08 pm UTC

Gamer_2k4 wrote:
Inglonias wrote:Yeah. Most of the new xkcds aren't very funny. I think it'll get better soon, though.


Why?


I wish I shared his optimism.

User avatar
Steeler
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:00 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Steeler » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:11 pm UTC

theGoldenCalf; wrote:Other than that, Mr. Munroe is officially on a roll. Go go Randall :D
I find this phenomenon hilarious. Whenever xkcd is *really* terrible, I can always count on checking the thread here and finding someone who thinks it's one of the "best ones in a long time" or some such.

It's not really terrible that often, but still.
"What would happen if did you first know that do I say tell me about your feelings about him that you came to me the real reason explain anything else that you came to me?"
-Emacs Psychiatrist upon repeated presses of the enter key

tetromino
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 11:31 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby tetromino » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:26 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Really? I'm the first one?

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU, RANDALL?

Really? Lactation? Since when is that funny? Why on Earth would an exchange like that be anywhere as funny? I suppose the "joke" here is that women could freak men out if their thoughts turned out to be predictable, or something. Well, here is a hint: if a joke seems extraordinarily weak and unfunny, it is NOT by making it freaky and disturbing that you will make it humorous. Nobody cares about your fetishes, Randall.

For some people (most of whom are, I am guessing, men), the thought process is basically this: breasts = sexy, nipples = sexy, lactating breasts = breasts+nipples+awesome, therefore human lactation = 2(sexy)+awesome, QED.
For other people (most of whom are, I am guessing, women), the thought process is basically this: infants = −sexy+messy, lactating breasts = infants, therefore human lactation = −sexy+messy, QED.

Hence the vastly different reactions different people have to this comic.

User avatar
ImTestingSleeping
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:46 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby ImTestingSleeping » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:29 pm UTC

tetromino wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:Really? I'm the first one?

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU, RANDALL?

Really? Lactation? Since when is that funny? Why on Earth would an exchange like that be anywhere as funny? I suppose the "joke" here is that women could freak men out if their thoughts turned out to be predictable, or something. Well, here is a hint: if a joke seems extraordinarily weak and unfunny, it is NOT by making it freaky and disturbing that you will make it humorous. Nobody cares about your fetishes, Randall.

For some people (most of whom are, I am guessing, men), the thought process is basically this: breasts = sexy, nipples = sexy, lactating breasts = breasts+nipples+awesome, therefore human lactation = 2(sexy)+awesome, QED.
For other people (most of whom are, I am guessing, women), the thought process is basically this: infants = −sexy+messy, lactating breasts = infants, therefore human lactation = −sexy+messy, QED.

Hence the vastly different reactions different people have to this comic.


Allow me to make a generalization that I believe is true for the majority of men: Lactating is not sexy. Secreting milk is not a turn on.

tetromino
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 11:31 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby tetromino » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:41 pm UTC

ImTestingSleeping wrote:
tetromino wrote:For some people (most of whom are, I am guessing, men), the thought process is basically this: breasts = sexy, nipples = sexy, lactating breasts = breasts+nipples+awesome, therefore human lactation = 2(sexy)+awesome, QED.
For other people (most of whom are, I am guessing, women), the thought process is basically this: infants = −sexy+messy, lactating breasts = infants, therefore human lactation = −sexy+messy, QED.

Hence the vastly different reactions different people have to this comic.


Allow me to make a generalization that I believe is true for the majority of men: Lactating is not sexy. Secreting milk is not a turn on.

Sure. And I should have stated explicitly that "other people" ≠ "all other people", and that many individuals do not fall into either group I described above.

User avatar
thevicente
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:19 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby thevicente » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:09 pm UTC

this reminds me of a joke:

Q: what's in common between a woman's breasts and a electric (toy) train?
A: Both are made for the children, but it's the fathers that have more fun.

JoeZ
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:35 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby JoeZ » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:13 pm UTC

I didn't find this one very entertaining. There was a bit of a shock laugh when it turned out that's what the guy was actually thinking, but this really lacks the wit of... pretty much any other XKCD to date. Could have been redeemed with the mouseover text but even that was pretty lame. I hope Friday's comic is back up to par with Randall's typical level of awesome!
I can't go, this is too important. Someone is wrong on the internet!

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:16 pm UTC

That's definitely a "get out of my head" moment.

sockpoppet
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:21 pm UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby sockpoppet » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:39 pm UTC

While I have about two dozen fetishes that are really perverse (suffice to say that I often browse /d/ on 4chan), I have to agree that lactation is a turn off (though I'd always be open to new experiences if my (currently non-existent) girlfriend were interested).

So, basically, worst XKCD in a while. That's not even an appropiate joke for SMBC or Cyanide&happiness.

PS: Have you read today's ComicJK?

Aic
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:57 am UTC

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Aic » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:46 pm UTC

tetromino wrote:breasts = sexy, nipples = sexy, lactating breasts = breasts+nipples+awesome, therefore human lactation = 2(sexy)+awesome, QED.


But, uh, if I may be dumb again please, I have the general question, how is lactation useful to get more awesomesauce, thus being a known fetish and used as random humor in random comics? Does one need lactation to be reminded that there are those sexy boobs and nipples where the milk comes from? I guess that doesn't make sense since boobs and nipples always would be just right under the stains of milk or at least very close by.
Makes me think of, what do milk-leaking boobs look like in reality (or those other peoples fantasy)? *takes a look, takes a regret*

K maybe found quite some answers to my many questions! Yay! Or something. Seriously guys.
I do gud englisch. Also, yes, I'm a girl. Sorry.

Sunidesus
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:09 pm UTC
Location: Rhode Island
Contact:

Re: 0858: "Milk"

Postby Sunidesus » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:53 pm UTC

Personally I didn't think it was a lactation=sexy thing. It seemed more like the Calvin & Hobbes strip that someone linked upthread, a random musing.

Something along the lines of: the milk on my cereal is from a cow boob, hmmm.... people have boobs... so, could a person be milked?


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Leovan and 79 guests