0859: "("

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

paramecium
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:58 pm UTC

Re: 0859: "("

Postby paramecium » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:46 am UTC

Well, xkcdviewer on my android didn't explode...

Code: Select all

//

JeffGrigg
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:55 am UTC

Re: 0859: "("

Postby JeffGrigg » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:55 am UTC

: (


...is what I saw.
(in the page title: "xkcd: (")

User avatar
SirMustapha
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Re: 0859: "("

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:56 am UTC

No, Randall, it doesn't: it only creates tension if you have goddamn obsessive-compulsive disorder or something like that, or if you're a brainless Randall fanboy who will agree with anything you say. Try making an actual comic next time around.

Cu Annan
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:10 am UTC

Re: 0859: "("

Postby Cu Annan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:17 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:No, Randall, it doesn't: it only creates tension if you have goddamn obsessive-compulsive disorder or something like that, or if you're a brainless Randall fanboy who will agree with anything you say. Try making an actual comic next time around.

Are we playing the false dichotomy game? I like that game.
My bid for this is "You either thought this comic had, like many of the XKCD comics, some humour or you're a brainless Randall nay-sayer who will disagree with anything Randall says that doesn't meet your standards".
Who's next?

Aic
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:57 am UTC

Re: 0859: "("

Postby Aic » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:20 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:No, Randall, it doesn't: it only creates tension if you have goddamn obsessive-compulsive disorder or something like that, or if you're a brainless Randall fanboy who will agree with anything

I thought it was more of a joke than a real assumption. Like all those "you're now reading this in my voice"-images. You don't really care or don't really want it but they mostly work x) I don't have a better example right now, also I simply might be wrong.
I also think the OCD-ish touch could be seen as funny.

I personally don't care about missing parentheses, I usually don't even notice them, especially not at the end of a sentence.

Fixblor wrote:[...]
Does anyone else see an optical illusion in a long stream of parentheses?
[...
They seem to me to be taller in some areas and shorter in others depending on where you look.

Only when using that Clear Type..font display thing. Which I usually don't, just switched to test it. Interesting.
I do gud englisch. Also, yes, I'm a girl. Sorry.

Splattercake
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:59 am UTC

Re: 0859: "("

Postby Splattercake » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:33 am UTC

Cu Annan wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:No, Randall, it doesn't: it only creates tension if you have goddamn obsessive-compulsive disorder or something like that, or if you're a brainless Randall fanboy who will agree with anything you say. Try making an actual comic next time around.

Are we playing the false dichotomy game? I like that game.
My bid for this is "You either thought this comic had, like many of the XKCD comics, some humour or you're a brainless Randall nay-sayer who will disagree with anything Randall says that doesn't meet your standards".
Who's next?


Me. You either think Randall put some small amount of effort into this comic or you think he's capable of producing something that's at least passable if he bothered to try.

User avatar
KShrike
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:47 am UTC

Re: 0859: "("

Postby KShrike » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:05 pm UTC

AHHHHH!!!!! NOES!!!!!!

Oh Randall.... why would he do that? Surely he feels the tension too.

The pain.... it's unbearable! I demand you to fix it!!!!!

This is painful with people with CDO, and he should know that.
On 10/10/10, My Little Pony started to appeal to adult males. Ya rly!
Forget the /b/ memes, and go watch the show and see what I mean. After all, the /b/ memes exist because the show itself is so cleverly written. Check it out!

Berny Stapleton
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:15 pm UTC

Re: 0859: "("

Postby Berny Stapleton » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:16 pm UTC

That's just cruel

User avatar
Carlington
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:46 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: 0859: "("

Postby Carlington » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:29 pm UTC

meh wrote:Five years from now Randall will close this pair of parentheses, and everything inside it will have been a dream.

BRRRAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHM

I am so sorry, I couldn't help myself...
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

User avatar
Squid Tamer
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:59 am UTC
Location: Over there
Contact:

Re: 0859: "("

Postby Squid Tamer » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:39 pm UTC

Using an unmatched _right_ parentheses retroactively incorporates tension into the reader's past, forcing the reader to dedicate their life to time travel, figure it out, and travel back to before the reader encountered the right parentheses, and place a corresponding left parenthesis there to even out the balance.

This happens every time.)

charlietime
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:46 pm UTC

Re: 0859: "("

Postby charlietime » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:48 pm UTC

:(

User avatar
dorkomatic
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:38 am UTC
Location: Cardiff, UK

Re: 0859: "("

Postby dorkomatic » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:50 pm UTC

Well it makes up for all those happy emoticons.
Ascii karma restored.

(And Squid Tamer is right, I have experimented with time-travel)

User avatar
SirMustapha
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Re: 0859: "("

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:51 pm UTC

Cu Annan wrote:Are we playing the false dichotomy game? I like that game.
My bid for this is "You either thought this comic had, like many of the XKCD comics, some humour or you're a brainless Randall nay-sayer who will disagree with anything Randall says that doesn't meet your standards".
Who's next?


I have another one: the only ways in which this comic could possibly work is the guy actually feels uncomfortable because of the missing close parentheses and validates the comic, or he laughs because "it's funny 'cause it's NOT TRUE" -- both possibilities which either seem very unlikely or very pathetic.

... wait a minute... that's not a false dichotomy, that is TRUE! Damn it.

I seriously, honestly think this is the laziest, most unfunny and most irritatingly boring comic Randall has pulled off in ages. I honestly don't know how he does it.

User avatar
snowyowl
Posts: 464
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:36 pm UTC

Re: 0859: "("

Postby snowyowl » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:52 pm UTC

As a wise man once told me, "Parentheses are the least of your worries.
The preceding comment is an automated response.

capn_slimes
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:07 am UTC

Re: 0859: "("

Postby capn_slimes » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:56 pm UTC

That was a twitter post. How much did he earn doing that? I don't think I've ever seen a lazier comic in my life.

User avatar
spillingvelvet
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:59 am UTC
Location: Baltimore

Re: 0859: "("

Postby spillingvelvet » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:56 pm UTC

Argh! It's like a sneeze that will never happen!

User avatar
ModestMouse
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:26 pm UTC

Re: 0859: "("

Postby ModestMouse » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:57 pm UTC

)

There, I feel better now.

User avatar
Felstaff
Occam's Taser
Posts: 5178
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:10 pm UTC
Location: ¢ ₪ ¿ ¶ § ∴ ® © ™ ؟ ¡ ‽ æ Þ ° ₰ ₤ ಡಢ

Re: 0859: "("

Postby Felstaff » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:06 pm UTC

It's a grammar nitpick that drives me up the wall. The feeling is akin to stopping in a motor-vehicle: you know how when you come to a complete stop (on a train or bus, say) and there's a tiny little shunt at the end? Well, every now and then, that shunt doesn't happen and it leaves me distinctly unsettled.
SirMustapha wrote:No, Randall, it doesn't: it only creates tension if you have goddamn obsessive-compulsive disorder or something like that, or if you're a brainless Randall fanboy who will agree with anything you say.
I found it creates tension. I am neither of the two groups you have [incorrectly] judged. It sounds like you are needlessly insulting people who like something you don't. Or do you have an actual point to make? Bear in mind you've used up your quota of being annoyed with people posting "Randall get out of my head" comments this week--ironically that complaint now outnumbers "Randall get out of my head" comments by about 2:1.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

uma
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:39 pm UTC

Re: 0859: "("

Postby uma » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:25 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:I have another one: the only ways in which this comic could possibly work is the guy actually feels uncomfortable because of the missing close parentheses and validates the comic, or he laughs because "it's funny 'cause it's NOT TRUE" -- both possibilities which either seem very unlikely or very pathetic.


It's pathetic not to share your taste in humour?

SolkaTruesilver
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:30 am UTC

Re: 0859: "("

Postby SolkaTruesilver » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:26 pm UTC

This is not funny at all. People need CLOSURE, Randall, you hear me? My grandmother was crushed because she never had proper closure, and you come and make a comic about it? I cried.

Not cool. Not funny. Not a good comic.

User avatar
The Boz
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:52 pm UTC

Re: 0859: "("

Postby The Boz » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:29 pm UTC

The alt text made this one for me.
MAKE LOVE, NOT SPAM!

aido179
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:03 pm UTC

Re: 0859: "("

Postby aido179 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:35 pm UTC

I wrote a php parser to grab xkcd among others and throw them up on my own homepage to save me checking each comic for updates individually....Read this comic from a link as I had opened my browser from something else and missed my homepage....almost didnt wanna check it to see how bad my script was.

Thank god it still worked! haha
(overabuse.com is the site if your interested but its probably not able to handle much traffic!)

User avatar
Phrozt
Posts: 465
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:27 pm UTC

Re: 0859: "("

Postby Phrozt » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:01 pm UTC

I wonder if it's different because I read it out of an RSS feed...

asdfzxc
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:04 pm UTC

Re: 0859: "("

Postby asdfzxc » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:14 pm UTC


User avatar
darkspork
Posts: 532
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:43 am UTC
Location: Land of Trains and Suburbs

Re: 0859: "("

Postby darkspork » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:18 pm UTC

darkspork wrote:This brings back painful memories on the TI84. I had a habit of writing incredibly long programs - long enough that I'd have to edit them on the computer and sort of "compress" them for them to fit in the calculator's RAM with enough space left over to actually run the thing. The easiest form of "compression" involved stripping closing characters - quotemarks and parenthesis.

This "compressed" code irritated me just as much as the goto statements peppered throughout for roughly the same reason.


Goto is bad form, even in TI BASIC...

Anyway, I switched to z80 assembly on these calculators after a year, so the parentheses went out of my life.[/quote]

I know. I know. The thing was slow as fuck, though. Try implementing a 25kb loop that needs to act as a series of "case" statements, some of which need to break out of the loop at random, arbitrary points while others need to fall through to other branches in a language where the machine could take up to three seconds to parse through the whole thing, and some semblance of speed is required. Remember that you don't have break or case, if:then...end statements need to be fully parsed (slowly) even if not executed, and memory is precious enough that it's necessary to save a character here or there. Goto is a relic from an older age of programming, and it pained me to use it as much as it did to omit closing punctuation and multiplication signs - each time I wrote something to the effect of drawLine(0,0,Acos(FN)sin(N),Acos(FN)sin(N
Shameless Website Promotion: Gamma Energy
My new esoteric programming language: GLOBOL
An experiment to mess with Google Search results: HARDCORE PORNOGRAPHY HARDCORE PORNOGRAPHY

Whys
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:11 pm UTC

Re: 0859: "("

Postby Whys » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:20 pm UTC

Another day, another happy colon. (:

mooncow
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:12 pm UTC

Re: 0859: "("

Postby mooncow » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:35 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:I have another one: the only ways in which this comic could possibly work is the guy actually feels uncomfortable because of the missing close parentheses and validates the comic, or he laughs because "it's funny 'cause it's NOT TRUE" -- both possibilities which either seem very unlikely or very pathetic.


For many years, an anecdote (apocryphal, of course, like all the best, and probably truest, anecdotes) has been told of Mozart’s father that, frustrated by the boy's laziness, he would get him out of bed by playing a dominant seventh chord on the piano. Mozart’s delicate ear would be so incensed by the lack of resolution to the tonic that he would be forced to leap out of bed, rush down to the piano, and play the tonic chord himself to resolve the cadence.

The discomfort caused by lack of resolution of a conventionally-resolved pattern is nothing new; all that changes is the context. And the fact that some people will regard that as the laziest, most unfunny and most irritatingly boring anecdote anyone has pulled off in ages. Eppur si muove.

mooncow
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:12 pm UTC

Re: 0859: "("

Postby mooncow » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:43 pm UTC

tehol wrote:Edit#2: looks like I didn't even get the alt text right when I fixed it... :/


The hover help text is <![CDATA[Brains aside, I wonder how many poorly-written xkcd.com-parsing scripts will break on this title (or \\;;"\''{\<<[' this mouseover text."]]>

mooncow
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:12 pm UTC

Re: 0859: "("

Postby mooncow » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:48 pm UTC

spillingvelvet wrote:Argh! It's like a sneeze that will never happen!


The rest of the comic is drawn in Thailand, on

marsman57
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:40 pm UTC

Re: 0859: "("

Postby marsman57 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:56 pm UTC

This thread is approximately 20 times funnier than the comic itself. Too bad that still isn't much :-/

Oh yeah, and Randall is just being an elitist with his "haha I break your bad code" attitude.

Edit: To boot, the source might have actually broken something if not for the change of " to &quot; As is, it is mostly just silly in all the bad ways.

User avatar
from canada
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:05 am UTC

Re: 0859: "("

Postby from canada » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:01 pm UTC

so did anything actually break? anecdotes from the forum seem to suggest otherwise

so this comic fails in pretty much every aspect imaginable

Speicus
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:01 am UTC

Re: 0859: "("

Postby Speicus » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:02 pm UTC

Argh, tension!
It reminds me of a company that has a big red *) on their building, next to its name. When I see it, I can't help looking for a footnote!

Jameror
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:10 pm UTC

Re: 0859: "("

Postby Jameror » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:12 pm UTC

Yeah, my Firefox daily_dilbert add-on got broken when displaying XKCD latest comic :D

clashmo
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:53 pm UTC

Re: 0859: "("

Postby clashmo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:16 pm UTC

Jesus man i hate that shit its like when people say "and A: this is a reason (usually followed by this and secondly this is another reason" A and 2 do NOT FOLLOW EACH OTHER!!!!!!!

Maximus_Light
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:56 pm UTC

Re: 0859: "("

Postby Maximus_Light » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:26 pm UTC

I'm not sure what's funnier, the fact the comic or the comments and the fact that it works.

Kaijyuu
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:58 am UTC

Re: 0859: "("

Postby Kaijyuu » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:54 pm UTC

Yeah, not too shabby a comic (and I hate when people do that too. How's everyone's day?
The cake is a lie, but truth is in Pi.

User avatar
Mahou
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:48 pm UTC
Location: Cleveland ROCKS!

Re: 0859: "("

Postby Mahou » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:10 pm UTC

I find this to be rather annoying in long posts. If someone is writing a long wall of text and forgets to close one of the parenthesis, I'll often waste time trying to find the close so I can figure out what bits are in the parentheses and which bits come after. It's an important grammatical bit and it's quite annoying when people forget about it in the middle of a huge post.

No one explodes from a sentance like this. People get pissed when it's in a real post and thus, actually makes things more confusing. If you don't get annoyed with that, then you clearly don't read posts carefully enough.

User avatar
SpringLoaded12
Posts: 350
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:58 am UTC
Location: Guarding the Super Missile
Contact:

Re: 0859: "("

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:11 pm UTC

FUCK that bothers me. Parentheses make the Grammar Nazi senses tingle, curly braces give bad nostalgia of Java coding nightmares.

Mahou wrote:I find this to be rather annoying in long posts. If someone is writing a long wall of text and forgets to close one of the parenthesis, I'll often waste time trying to find the close so I can figure out what bits are in the parentheses and which bits come after. It's an important grammatical bit and it's quite annoying when people forget about it in the middle of a huge post.

No one explodes from a sentance like this. People get pissed when it's in a real post and thus, actually makes things more confusing. If you don't get annoyed with that, then you clearly don't read posts carefully enough.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Kudos and cookies for you.

gooley wrote:Did anybody notice the missing )? Great job, Randall. You've been rather lazy in proofing your comics lately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqx2Bt5bnKE
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26528
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: 0859: "(

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:48 pm UTC

WolfieMario wrote:Honestly, guys, I seriously don't see what's such a big deal about this (after all, it's not like we're "evolutionarily programmed to expect flawless closing syntax There's [i]nothing wrong with this at

I notice that in your interests you list filmmaking and editing.

So how often do you just ignore an unresolved plot thread or an unfired Chekov's Gun?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

soveraign
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:59 am UTC

Re: 0859: "("

Postby soveraign » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:52 pm UTC

Ever read Snow Crash? Yeah - I'm feeling a little like that guy right n.;,'][;


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: acunning40 and 100 guests