0862: "Let Go"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

nealh

Re: 0862: "Let Go"

Postby nealh » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:30 pm UTC

Ambignostic wrote:
Lewton wrote:Me, I just use Stay focusd

If only it the extension been named "Stay On Target."

Comment win! Also phenomenal comic, perfect unexpected whammy ending.
In facebook's belly, you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly digested over a thousand years.

enehta

Postby enehta » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:38 pm UTC

Time for yet another post along the lines of "so, if someone with better programming skills than I were to make such an app, here's what I'd like to see in it" (since I too would really like such an application/script/sledgehammer to exist).

Not sure how well this would work psychologically, but rather than a 30 second delay of nothingness, make you interact with your to-do list during the delay?

Another app that I was hoping existed (yes, Randall, get out of my head...) a few days ago was one that did more directly manipulate my lack of productivity psychologically - something that popped up every half hour or so (or when I was on a borderline useful/wasteful webpage like wikipedia) that asked if I were being productive, and then if I clicked "yes" it would show me a nice picture (say, of a publication in Science with me as the first/only author, or of a friend/family member looking happy), and if I clicked "no" it would show a less nice picture (say, of someone who looks like me working at McDs, or a friend/family member looking upset). The punishment wouldn't be severe enough to make me go to lengths to avoid it (like disabling the app), but might do a bit of conditioning to help me associate something unpleasant with the otherwise pleasant distractions. I'd have to do a bit of research to figure out which pictures would be best (which, um, also counts as a distraction), but the app in my imaginary ideal universe would allow for picture switching, too.

Anyway, that's my few cents. I'm going to keep stalking this thread in hopes someone does come up with such an app. (if not, I may bribe my programm-y friends to put something together, in which case I'll reemerge from silence to hook y'all up with it).

chrth

Postby chrth » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:46 pm UTC

Ambignostic wrote:
dp2 wrote:People seem to have missed the actual point of the alt joke, i.e. the final few words.

The final few words are "and my 'productive' computer use was unaffected." So he applied the delay to time-wasting sites, but his actual work was not impacted by the delay. What point do you feel we are missing?

I think you can interpret it to mean that even though he did all this, there was no increase in productivity. cf. my earlier comment about opening up solitaire or freecell. I'm not 100% sure that's what Randall meant tho.

dp2

Postby dp2 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:51 pm UTC

Ambignostic wrote:
dp2 wrote:People seem to have missed the actual point of the alt joke, i.e. the final few words.

The final few words are "and my 'productive' computer use was unaffected." So he applied the delay to time-wasting sites, but his actual work was not impacted by the delay. What point do you feel we are missing?

I took it to mean that his producivity was never being affected in the first place, counter to the hypothesis that time-wasting sites were diminishing his productivity. In other words, there's no point in using the delay.

dp2

Postby dp2 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:54 pm UTC

chrth wrote:
Ambignostic wrote:

I think you can interpret it to mean that even though he did all this, there was no increase in productivity. cf. my earlier comment about opening up solitaire or freecell. I'm not 100% sure that's what Randall meant tho.

Yes, that's how I took it. But however you interpret it, the delay is pointless. It doesn't increase productivity, and now you're waiting 30 seconds for your sites to load.

blm

Postby blm » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:08 pm UTC

...30-second delay I had to wait through, in which I couldn't do anything else, before any new page or chat client would load...only allowed one to run at once)...

Are you sure this wasn't just IE6?

:wink:

Skeinchug

Postby Skeinchug » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:15 pm UTC

chrth wrote:
Skeinchug wrote:A web portal.

I found apps that allowed me to RSS feed my comics and two news sites, a yahoo mail app so I could see when I got a new e-mail, and an app that opened a web page for the one that I couldn't RSS. Now if I want to see if there's an update on all the sites I visit I just scroll down one page.

My productivity has increased by about 90%

yeah, I mentioned that in the post above yours. but when those rss feeds say "no new content for the past two months", how do you resist the urge to go check?

I haven't encountered that problem yet. If I did I would replace the feed with an app that opened the page directly. My goal was to place everything in one place so I don't go hunting for new updates.

solobutterfly

Postby solobutterfly » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:17 pm UTC

Congratulations modern society you have created a generation full of impatient, instant-gratification seeking, repetitive behavior patterned, un-productive individuals with no self restraint. A delay can't save you now. I know it happens on people's free time, but I am still constantly shocked to learn how many people waste their employer's time by checking up on celebrity gossip, facebook, or shopping on work computers.

Schema

Postby Schema » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:20 pm UTC

Alt-Text wrote:I set up a simple 30-second delay I had to wait through, in which I couldn't do anything else, before any new page or chat client would load (and only allowed one to run at once).

In other words, back to the Commodore 64 days!

Fobax

Postby Fobax » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:24 pm UTC

Assuming you use explicit bookmarks, try changing your bookmarks to something like this:

Code: Select all

javascript:setTimeout("location.href='http://www.xkcd.com/'",30000);document.write("<h1>waiting....%20do%20you%20have%20time%20for%20this...</h1>")

Where you change xkcd.com to your bookmark and 30000 to your desired timeout in milliseconds.

chrth

Postby chrth » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:34 pm UTC

solobutterfly wrote:Congratulations modern society you have created a generation full of impatient, instant-gratification seeking, repetitive behavior patterned, un-productive individuals with no self restraint. A delay can't save you now. I know it happens on people's free time, but I am still constantly shocked to learn how many people waste their employer's time by checking up on celebrity gossip, facebook, or shopping on work computers.

It's not quite like that, but I'm not sure how to explain without sounding like a pompous ass.

It's something like: people are able to complete their tasks faster; compensation is rarely increased as a result of increased productivity (you're actually more likely to be given additional tasks without increased compensation, regardless of your actual work/play ratio on the computer); if you're not producing competently, it doesn't matter than you work 8 hours a day versus someone who does produce competently working 6 hours a day.

In other words, office productivity usually is not impacted by how people use their computer for non-work related reasons. People that slack off entirely will of course lose their job (unless tenured). But quality will always be a more important judge of your ability than quantity.

Besides, you have to consider other means of work avoision (it's a word! look it up!). Smoking breaks. Bathroom breaks. That 15-minute allowed break that always stretches to 20 minutes. At least people who are slacking off on the computer are available if you need them.

And of course, meetings, despite their ability to sometimes accomplish something, more often than not result in way more lost productivity than Amazon.com or Facebook.

TL, DR: It's not that simple, and that's why most companies don't mind.

KShrike

Postby KShrike » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:45 pm UTC

nealh wrote:
Ambignostic wrote:

If only it the extension been named "Stay On Target."

Comment win!

I agree. Lewton, you win an internet.
On 10/10/10, My Little Pony started to appeal to adult males. Ya rly!
Forget the /b/ memes, and go watch the show and see what I mean. After all, the /b/ memes exist because the show itself is so cleverly written. Check it out!

RockoTDF

Postby RockoTDF » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:54 pm UTC

Surprised no one has pointed this out yet....but since this is strictly a behavioral thing, Randy can't call it 'neurological reward' - he doesn't know exactly what is being reinforced just based on a 30 second delay.

solobutterfly wrote:Congratulations modern society you have created a generation full of impatient, instant-gratification seeking, repetitive behavior patterned, un-productive individuals with no self restraint. A delay can't save you now. I know it happens on people's free time, but I am still constantly shocked to learn how many people waste their employer's time by checking up on celebrity gossip, facebook, or shopping on work computers.

They have been saying this about 'kids these days' for thousands of years. This generation is going to deal with a lot of problems that previous generations created with their own self indulgence and laziness.

Interestingly, in France they have shorter work days/weeks, lots more vacation, and are apparently more productive than Americans who have 40 hour weeks and little vacation. If you work 6 or 7 hours a day instead of 8 or 9, there might be less urge to mess around at work if you have the free time to do it.
Just because it is not physics doesn't mean it is not science.
http://www.iomalfunction.blogspot.com <---- A collection of humorous one liners and science jokes.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:00 pm UTC

I think if I installed this 30 second delay, I wouldn't read this comic anymore. :-(

Oh wait, is that a good thing? Crap... I'm conflicted.

Would be nice if the scripts were customizable to say which sites were delayed and which were not. For example TROPES needs a 120 second delay, while wikipedia should load immediately.

+1 more internets for "Stay On Target".
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

crystalmeph

Postby crystalmeph » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:01 pm UTC

Jedifreak wrote:

Is there something like that for Firefox?

Yes, LeechBlock (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/leechblock/). I just installed it now. I'm just setting it up to limit my total time each day between 9:00AM and 4:00PM at first, while I try it out. It basically allows you to either completely block or limit the amount of time you spend on soul-sucking sites within time periods you define (hence my giving myself a reprieve after 4PM, when nothing gets done anyway). The 30-second delay would be a nice addition for those of us who don't keep track of time very well. Now that it's been mentioned in XKCD, of course, I expect it will be added by the end of the day, unless the author uses his own product, in which case he may not find out about it until this evening.

Now, I've got to get out of here, since forums.xkcd.com is on my time-wasters list.

abaris

Postby abaris » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:04 pm UTC

thank you guys for suggesting leechblock. you just made my day... :)

kadamczy

Postby kadamczy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:14 pm UTC

The 30 seconds wouldn't bother me as much as having to do one of those distorted case sensitive CAPTCHAs that are impossible to read. And have it pretend you entered it in wrong the first couple times.

vookaloop

Postby vookaloop » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:20 pm UTC

goomhr-bait.

Manipulating one's own mind with tricks to break bad habits has been going on for a long time. Like putting cayenne on your fingernails to stop from biting them (though that might have the opposite effect for some people). Procrastination seems like a hard one to break though, because the natural consequences aren't that bad or are long-term and cumulative.

SerialTroll

Postby SerialTroll » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:24 pm UTC

If you think your manager is clueless, you should look in the mirror. If your habits are so poor, you are likely failing at many things in life not just work. Ultimately you get one crack at life on this earth... while some sites are interesting diversions, you have clearly stepped over that boundary by quite a bit. When you are an old man, do you think you will go "damn, I wish i spent more time reading web comics?"

So correct your habitsfor your sake not your employer's.

meatyochre wrote:My problem is browsing the web from work. They block high profile time-wasters like penny arcade, facebook, email clients, and WoW forums... but they fail to block xkcd forums or the Straight Dope msg boards. And in over 2 years of wasting time on websites, I've never ONCE received anything more than a stern glare from one manager. My own manager is so oblivious he doesn't notice my shitty productivity. Or so clueless that he doesn't care, I'm not sure which.

To be fair, I think I would benefit more from a tool that would turn off all the fun sites at bedtime. Because I should have gone to bed a while ago but here I am...

Altari

Postby Altari » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:33 pm UTC

After reading this, I wrote a quick VBScript code which stops programs from loading instantly (works in Win 7);

For anyone interested:

Dim i
Dim XKCDFileName

For i = 0 to WScript.Arguments.Count - 1
XKCDFileName = XKCDFileName & WScript.Arguments.Item(i) & " "
Next

msgbox "30 second wait will initiate after the closure of this dialog box! Opening " & XKCDFileName & " soon!"
WScript.Sleep(30000)

Set XKCDExecutor = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
xkcdaltariscript = Chr(34) & XKCDFileName & Chr(34)
XKCDExecutor.Run (xkcdaltariscript)

Basically just save as a .vbs, such as xkcd_delay.vbs, and execute applications via the location of the executable as an argument.

As an example edit your shortcut of

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"

to C:\xkcd_delay.vbs "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"

And it should work fine... if I've explained it properly :)

I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by recommending people save something as a .vbs too, but hopefully some regulars who know vbscript can vouch for this one. :)

vookaloop

Postby vookaloop » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:52 pm UTC

Altari wrote:As an example edit your shortcut of

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"

to C:\xkcd_delay.vbs "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"

Who is actually opening firefox.exe every time they use the internet? I think you'd want to implement a delay in your router or something, so xkcd.com gets delayed while google.com does not, or slow down dns resolution altogether, or something like that.

meltingemail

Postby meltingemail » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:07 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:
chrth wrote:
Ambignostic wrote:

Yes, that's how I took it. But however you interpret it, the delay is pointless. It doesn't increase productivity, and now you're waiting 30 seconds for your sites to load.

I understood "productive computer use unaffected" to mean that the 30-second delay didn't inhibit productive work - it only inhibited time-wasting (since time-wasting wants an immediate gratification, whereas productive work can take place with delayed gratification).

If you decrease time-wasting, does that necessitate an increase in productivity? I think so. If I turn on the Nuclear function on StayFocusd, I find that I go do things that are worthwhile. Obviously there are workarounds, but the stopgap is helpful. I won't let the ideal of some perfect procrastination-buster get in the way of something that works 75% of the time.

yodi

Postby yodi » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:49 pm UTC

alexxx wrote:It has been a problem for a lot of time for me too,
but what I was dreaming about was something a bit more radical.

My hope is that someone will develop an entire desktop environment single-tasking-like, inhibiting the possibility to switch out from a given application, for a given time.
The reason being that I'm perfectly able to become completely non-productive even without firefox: just give me a terminal and I'll launch nethack without thinking...

alessandro

Hm, maybe they'll do that after they finally figure out a way to keep my phone attached to the base so I don't keep losing it!

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:21 pm UTC

SerialTroll wrote:If you think your manager is clueless, you should look in the mirror. If your habits are so poor, you are likely failing at many things in life not just work. Ultimately you get one crack at life on this earth... while some sites are interesting diversions, you have clearly stepped over that boundary by quite a bit. When you are an old man, do you think you will go "damn, I wish i spent more time reading web comics?"

So correct your habitsfor your sake not your employer's.

The only thing I have to do is work, though. There's really nothing else for me to fail at. When I'm at home (where I live by myself), I usually play WoW instead of visiting websites because it's more interactive.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:58 pm UTC

thread tl;dr.

Google "leechblock" for an add-on that does the same thing for Firefox. Right now, if I want to browse any of my time-wasting sites, I'm cut off after fifteen minutes and I have to type/copy a 32-character mixed case alphanumeric string if I want to change these settings.

Late for a plane flight. Obviously, I still have some problems.

Lazer Falcon

Postby Lazer Falcon » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:28 pm UTC

Even better than making clever ways to use your computer to keep you productive - stop using worthless sites like Facebook that are really just data-mining operations. i.e., stop being so addicted to the internet that you can't accomplish the task at hand. Its called will power, folks...

jordan314

Postby jordan314 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:53 pm UTC

Fobax wrote:Assuming you use explicit bookmarks, try changing your bookmarks to something like this:

javascript:setTimeout("location.href='http://www.xkcd.com/'",30000);document.write("<h1>waiting....%20do%20you%20have%20time%20for%20this...</h1>")

Where you change xkcd.com to your bookmark and 30000 to your desired timeout in milliseconds.

Nice work Fobax, this works great!

Skeinchug was right though, with this or the PHP proxy solution, you can just open a new tab and surf other sites in the meantime. That's what I did when this was loading. Anyone have a workaround for preventing opening new tabs?

RabbitWho

Postby RabbitWho » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:33 pm UTC

30 second wait is nothing. Dial-up.

chrth

Postby chrth » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:33 pm UTC

Lazer Falcon wrote:Even better than making clever ways to use your computer to keep you productive - stop using worthless sites like Facebook that are really just data-mining operations. i.e., stop being so addicted to the internet that you can't accomplish the task at hand. Its called will power, folks...

You created an account just to post this? WOW.

Besides, it doesn't even have to be Facebook that wastes your time. http://xkcd.com/609/

phrontist

Postby phrontist » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:54 pm UTC

bencw wrote:Seems to work ok, could probably be cleaned up and more intelligent, espescially as it runs more with pages with frames.
All the "@include" lines tell greasemonkey where to run the script, so effectively are a filter (and there's also a "@exclude" for more blanket delay applications...). Oh, and don't ask me what the namespace does, it forced me to put one in so I told it my HD! Probably if it comes to publishing scripts.
The number in pauseJS(TIME) is in milliseconds, so punish yourself how you like.

Oh, also the first time I tried this (and got something wrong somewhere) I managed to hang my browser for a bit too long, so be careful and I did warn you... I'm no JS expert, I'm just borrowing code that's easy to understand.

Clever to use greasemonkey, I was going to start reading up on XUL to make a "real" plugin. The code you posted blocks the browsers thread though, and basically makes it hang for 30 seconds, and worse still activates the little "Warning: Kill this script?" alert box. So here is a non-thread-blocking version, which has the additonal advantage of loading the page fully, but preventing the contents from being displayed until N (below, 5) seconds have elapsed:

// ==UserScript==
// @name           Delay
// @namespace      C:\
// @description    Delay some time before page loads
// @include        *xkcd*
// ==/UserScript==
document.body.style.display='none';
setTimeout("document.body.style.display=''", 5000); // 5000 is 5 seconds, in milliseconds

datalurkur

Postby datalurkur » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:55 pm UTC

I wrote a Ruby script earlier that acts as a transparent proxy and delays when an HTTP request matches one of the strings it's been configured to delay. I made a reddit post with a pastebin link to the code here: http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/fo276/i_wrote_a_ruby_script_modeled_after_todays_xkcd/

lunchmeat

Postby lunchmeat » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:11 pm UTC

RabbitWho beat me to it, but it's true - why are people wasting time writing timeout scripts? Just go for dialup - this way, when a weak moment hits, you won't be able to back out of the delay.

Additionally, think of all those worthless videos you won't watch, because they'll take too long to load!

It is interesting, though, how having access to instantaneous information can become addicting - and it's interesting how most people eventually lock themselves into a pattern. Every night at work in the helpdesk, for eight hours, I used to be on Facebook checking for updates (that never came) - when I realized what I'd become, I deleted it. After the first week, it was actually really nice and I've never looked back.

It would be interesting to switch back to dialup for a month as an experiment and see how it affects your everyday life and habits. Makes you wonder. (Makes me wonder, anyway.)

duckshirt

Postby duckshirt » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:24 pm UTC

The 30-second idea is interesting... I've always thought I should make something that would just block me from sites except in breaks. Anyways, this was my interpretation of it:

// ==UserScript==
// @name           Webaholics Anonymous
// @namespace      http://esmilde.com
// @include        *echochamber.me*
// ==/UserScript==

// Create cover element, modify the style & id of it
var cover = document.createElement('div');
cover.style.position = 'fixed';
cover.style.top = cover.style.left = 0;
cover.style.height = cover.style.width = '100%';
cover.style.margin = '1em';
cover.style.backgroundColor = 'white';
cover.setAttribute('id', 'webaholics-anonymous-cover');
// The text in the middle:
cover.innerHTML = 'You will be able to access this page in 30 seconds...';
// Display it
document.getElementsByTagName('body')[0].appendChild(cover);
// Declare function to hide it in main window's scope
unsafeWindow.hideCover = function() {
   document.getElementById('webaholics-anonymous-cover').style.display = 'none';
};
// Start the timer
setTimeout("hideCover();", 30000);

Cover up the screen for 30 seconds... That way Javascript doesn't freeze and the page loads fine... one problem I might have is someone might start chatting with me on Facebook and it would keep running in the background. My other problem is it's way too easy to turn off Greasemonkey...

I think I might rather have it display this only when I get to a new domain or new tab, though, instead of every page load, because I usually have the willpower to close the tab; I just open it back up again a minute later...
lol everything matters
-Ed

hjordis

Postby hjordis » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:43 pm UTC

kadamczy wrote:The 30 seconds wouldn't bother me as much as having to do one of those distorted case sensitive CAPTCHAs that are impossible to read. And have it pretend you entered it in wrong the first couple times.

This is an excellent idea. And also a horrible idea. Think of all the pain.

Ticonderoga

Postby Ticonderoga » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:17 am UTC

The issue with compulsion and addiction control is the proportion of people who are actually willing to spend effort overcome it is relatively small, even if many more claim to be suffering from it. Academic research in demand for commitment devices usually yield relatively low numbers, around 10-18%.

Examples,
- Cigarette
"Put your money where your butt is: A commitment contract for smoking cessation" - 11%
http://karlan.yale.edu/p/CARES_dec08.pdf

- Homework Assignments
"Procrastination, deadlines, and performance: Selfcontrol by precommitment" - (hard to point to a number)
http://web.mit.edu/ariely/www/MIT/Papers/deadlines.pdf

- World of Warcraft
"Demand for a Commitment Device in Online Gaming" - 10.4-15% (disclaimer: my work)
http://ticoneva.com/econ/jobmarket/wow.pdf

- Savings:
"Using behavioral economics to increase employee saving" - 14-18%
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.153.5567&rep=rep1&type=pdf
"Tying odysseus to the mass: Evidence from a commitment savings product in the philippines" - 28%
http://karlan.yale.edu/p/SEED.pdf

brandtsound

Postby brandtsound » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:17 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:Hmm, and this *particular* comic was late, huh?

I think you might be on to something!

In other thoughts- we need this app now- ohh.. and does it work for mac?
~ brandtsound, inc. ~

DavidRoss

The irony is lost on the "firsters"

Postby DavidRoss » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:04 am UTC

I came here to see if someone could explain what the box is in the last frame (where "Luke" is, apparently.) A lunar lander?

Anyway, I noticed more than the usual number of people trying to be the first commenter. Instead of considering that to be your day's goal, step back and read today's comic! Let go. You get no kudos for typing at just the right time, with nothing useful to say. It only makes the rest of us have to scroll down a little further.

[Update: OK, I think I get it now. The woman in the back is NOT wearing earphones - that's her hair - and they are in a rebel control center.]

BoxyK

Postby BoxyK » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:01 am UTC

I still don't get the grey box. Is it a bed? A coffin?
And what about the headset?

Dorp

Postby Dorp » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:47 pm UTC

My employers recently blocked all web access in response to some dumbass leaving his match.com profile up overnight. I've been watching my own habits change since this happened and noticed that while I am more productive for longer periods of time, the second something comes along to distract me I'll latch onto it like a vice. Last night (I work graveyard) I spent no less than an hour and a half fucking around with the fonts on an excel spreadsheet before I realised I'd been slacking. Conclusion: yes, internet makes me procrastinate, but in short manageable bursts. The longer I'm productive, the longer and more uselessly I'll slack off when I get the chance.

A_of_s_t

Postby A_of_s_t » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:32 pm UTC

I come here and no one mentioned the Star Wars reference on the first page of this topic. How sad.
Check out my web interzones powered by Web 3.0 technology running on Mozzarella Foxfire:
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”