0281: "Online Package Tracking"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
musicinmybrain
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:50 am UTC
Location: Greensboro, NC

Postby musicinmybrain » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:40 pm UTC

Somnia wrote:Hate to bring this off-topic on the first page, but have you give heard of the Nuclear Whales? I love them. Gotta love a sax sextet with contrabass sax.


I don't have any of their music, but I've heard of them. I really enjoy the idea of a contrabass sax.

Saxmaniac and Somnia, do either of you listen to Rova Saxophone Quartet?
+ + + + + + + + [ > + + + + [ > + + > + + + > + + + > + < < < < - ] > + > - > + > > + [ < ] < - ] > > . > > - - - . + + + + + + + . . + + + . > . < < - . > . + + + . - - - - - - . - - - - - - - - . > + . > + + .

Dew_N_O
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 6:48 am UTC

Postby Dew_N_O » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:45 pm UTC

Somnia wrote:
Dew_N_O wrote:
saxything43 wrote:@ saxmaniac

Not necessarily. I ordered a $15 CD and checked on it, oh, twenty times a minute. But it was a REALLY good CD.


Which CD was it? Was it a sax CD?


Hate to bring this off-topic on the first page, but have you give heard of the Nuclear Whales? I love them. Gotta love a sax sextet with contrabass sax.


No, but I'll check them out. Been composing for a few years, and my knowledge of instrumentation (*cough* default midi instruments on sound card) is not vastly better than your average high school band member (It's the "next step"). So unique little combos like this are really interesting to me.
TODO: Make a signature I don't especially hate.

etho
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 7:12 pm UTC

Postby etho » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:19 pm UTC

etho wrote:Yet another example of spooky XKCD synchronicity. For the past couple days, I've had a tab open which, every half hour, I refresh with the desperate hope that my package will have left San Antonio.

For the record, it has left San Antonio, but it hasn't arrived at it's next destination. So I don't yet know whether it will move toward Oregon, as it is supposed to, or say, take a brief holiday in Miami.

I love online tracking.

No, wait, I hate online tracking.

Wait, I love it.


Nope, I hate it again. Stupid package arrived in Louisville early this morning and left this afternoon. That is the wrong direction.

3 Day Select my ass. It's been 4 days and it's farther away than it started.

foo
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:29 pm UTC

Postby foo » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:33 pm UTC

Once when I had this problem I wrote a little C socket program to check the status and notify me with a messagebox when the status was updated. :-)
But then you will only go crazy waiting for the program to notify you instead.

User avatar
Amnesiasoft
Posts: 2573
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 4:28 am UTC
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:45 am UTC

I remember doing this when I ordered my 8800 earlier this month...

And it very well coud be UPS instead of FedEx, my card started in Memphis >_>

Frenchy
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:48 pm UTC

Postby Frenchy » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:47 am UTC

eBay is just as evil

"Has someone out bid me?" etc.

mwace
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:28 pm UTC
Contact:

Postby mwace » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:32 am UTC

Haha, nice, I *just* spent my weekend doing exactly this.

I bought parts for a new supersexy $800 computer from Newegg last Friday (the 15th), and needless to say I've been watching it like a hawk. Not only that, but parts shipped from Memphis, too! Did you know the newegg tracker actually gives a destination city wereas UPS trackign only gives current / most recent city? It even got to a point for me were I plotted the travel time from Memphis TN to Shrewsbury MA in Google Maps to figure out how long it would take.

My case hasn't arrived yet, either - join me in the madness!
http://wwwapps.ups.com/WebTracking/proc ... 0374463105

(Right now I'm posting from the parts running on anti-static bags, click for parts listing if your into that kind of thing.)

oria
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 2:12 pm UTC

Postby oria » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:11 am UTC

too bad international orders can't be tracked...

speaking of snail mail, it takes three weeks for a letter to get from the UK to China, and three months to get from China to the UK. Insane.

Jumbochuckles
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:35 am UTC

Postby Jumbochuckles » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:37 am UTC

i check XKCD the same way.. always hoping for a new comic :D

User avatar
wing
the /b/slayer
Posts: 1876
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 5:56 am UTC

Postby wing » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:53 am UTC

Jumbochuckles wrote:i check XKCD the same way.. always hoping for a new comic :D
But.... M,W,F at 12:01AM EST....... It's like clockwork.

etho
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 7:12 pm UTC

Postby etho » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:04 am UTC

etho wrote:
etho wrote:Yet another example of spooky XKCD synchronicity. For the past couple days, I've had a tab open which, every half hour, I refresh with the desperate hope that my package will have left San Antonio.

For the record, it has left San Antonio, but it hasn't arrived at it's next destination. So I don't yet know whether it will move toward Oregon, as it is supposed to, or say, take a brief holiday in Miami.

I love online tracking.

No, wait, I hate online tracking.

Wait, I love it.


Nope, I hate it again. Stupid package arrived in Louisville early this morning and left this afternoon. That is the wrong direction.

3 Day Select my ass. It's been 4 days and it's farther away than it started.


I love it again! Not only has it now arrived in Portland, but it has in fact left Portland already, which means it should be arriving tomorrow! Yay!

User avatar
Amnesiasoft
Posts: 2573
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 4:28 am UTC
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:45 am UTC

mwace wrote:(Right now I'm posting from the parts running on anti-static bags, click for parts listing if your into that kind of thing.)


I'd advise against ever upgrading to SLI...it's the biggest waste of money known to man, monkey, or frog-kind.

User avatar
liza
It's teatime somewhere
Posts: 1903
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 8:01 am UTC
Location: New Amsterdam

Postby liza » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:23 am UTC

musicinmybrain wrote:
Somnia wrote:Hate to bring this off-topic on the first page, but have you give heard of the Nuclear Whales? I love them. Gotta love a sax sextet with contrabass sax.


I don't have any of their music, but I've heard of them. I really enjoy the idea of a contrabass sax.

Saxmaniac and Somnia, do either of you listen to Rova Saxophone Quartet?


Never heard of them *goes to google*

Dew_N_O wrote:
Somnia wrote:
Dew_N_O wrote:
saxything43 wrote:@ saxmaniac

Not necessarily. I ordered a $15 CD and checked on it, oh, twenty times a minute. But it was a REALLY good CD.


Which CD was it? Was it a sax CD?


Hate to bring this off-topic on the first page, but have you give heard of the Nuclear Whales? I love them. Gotta love a sax sextet with contrabass sax.


No, but I'll check them out. Been composing for a few years, and my knowledge of instrumentation (*cough* default midi instruments on sound card) is not vastly better than your average high school band member (It's the "next step"). So unique little combos like this are really interesting to me.


As they should be! The way the music is arranged to accommodate the different saxes is fascinating.

der_bAUer
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:55 am UTC

Postby der_bAUer » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:56 am UTC

So after reading this comic, I think I must be glad not to have a tracking number for that huge 40 Meg hard drive I bought on eBay? I hope it will finally arrive today...
EDIT: to clarify, by huge I do not mean that it occupies a lot of room (it's a standard 2.5" form factor), but that it holds twice as much data as the old 20 MB hdd which does not work anymore.

Fiddling with old notebooks is fun!
Last edited by der_bAUer on Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

DannyboyO1
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:50 pm UTC

Postby DannyboyO1 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:01 pm UTC

Ahh, ebay bidding. I've enjoyed it... five times. Shadowrun books. Mostly from one auctioneer getting rid of his hobby when I started.

Never had a problem with getting outbid unexpectedly.

No, I've fully expected it. But I know human nature. And I know the way ebay bidding works... so I ninja'd. Getting outbid makes the human mind re-evaluate what they're willing to pay, so they may put in a higher bid if time allows.

So... one last-minute bid may or may not "win" but it does help keep your obsessive-compulsive nature in check.

It's automated bidding that favors the bidder anyway. It'll hit the minimum bid up to your limit. So, I'm leveraging against people who put a low limit, inaccurately reflecting their desire for the product.

So, other than human nature to try and game the system, there's no reason not to stick with your original limit. And with human nature, there's no incentive to bid early. :D



But I still got that wild gleam of perverse joy out of seeing a bidding log showing another guy posted 2 bids after mine, both lower than what I was willing to pay. "Hah, denied!"

Juuuuust before realizing the guy had cost me about $2. :(
There is no signature that still seems witty 50 posts later

User avatar
Sprocket
Seymour
Posts: 5951
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:04 pm UTC
Location: impaled on Beck's boney hips.
Contact:

Postby Sprocket » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:08 pm UTC

Track and Confirm
Search Results
Label/Receipt Number: 9101 1480 0860 0297 2372 20
Status: Shipment Accepted

Your shipment was accepted/picked up at 5:38 PM on June 25, 2007 in OLEAN, NY 14760 .

Yey! ...Hey, I know someone in Olean. (O-Lee-Anne)
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

roxormancer
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:19 am UTC

Postby roxormancer » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:07 am UTC

as i read this comic monday morning i was sitting on the kingdom of loathing main page waiting for the new updates to rollout. *refresh* damn still rolling over *refresh*. kinda made me chuckle

SaintNicster
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:00 am UTC

Postby SaintNicster » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:20 am UTC

I read this comic the day it came out. Later that day, I got a "Shipping Notification" on my 'Online Communities Poster'.

I nearly laughed out loud when I realized the two happened on the same day :D

boulter
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:41 pm UTC
Location: United States
Contact:

Postby boulter » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:42 am UTC

Hitting refresh is for suckers. :-)

Use Package Alert and get status changes in your email box.

zenten
Posts: 3799
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:42 am UTC
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Postby zenten » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:55 am UTC

I ordered a new computer today. It hasn't been sent off to the post office yet though, so not quote appropriate.

User avatar
Pero
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:42 am UTC
Location: Davis, California
Contact:

Postby Pero » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:51 pm UTC

Woo! "With delivery courier"!

*goes back to hitting refresh* ... (I guess at this point I could just be checking my doorstep instead.)

User avatar
arbivark
Posts: 531
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 5:29 am UTC

Postby arbivark » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:45 am UTC

http://www.websnark.com/archives/2007/0 ... ng_in.html

the websnark, one of the world's foremost webcomic critics, covered this strip recently.

taildrag
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:10 pm UTC

Re: "Online Package Tracking" Discussion

Postby taildrag » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:23 pm UTC

At least my package left Memphis, I just didn't know FedEx perfected delayed teleportation. 13 minutes from Memphis, TN to Berkeley, MO.

Image

rasher
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:44 pm UTC

Re: "Online Package Tracking" Discussion

Postby rasher » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:25 pm UTC

I suggest solving this problem using science. Or at the very least, Python and copious amounts of internets.

Partly inspired by this comic, my proposed solution (hilariously named libparceltrack) can be found here. It's currently able to track packages from FedEx and the Danish postal service. Expanding this should be easy-ish. I've written two small test programs that will show all updates and exit, and monitor a package, and send you an email each time the status is updated, respectively.

User avatar
GrawSith
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:46 pm UTC
Location: Down-frickin'-under.
Contact:

Re: "Online Package Tracking" Discussion

Postby GrawSith » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:12 pm UTC

I bought a multi-tool from ThinkGeek, and on the advice of my boss, had it sent to the company's warehouse, downstairs.

The company's big, multi-million dollar warehouse that holds the most industrial supplies this side of Australia.

I'm screwed. It's still in Los Angeles, but in the meantime I'm refreshing the company's database every 30 seconds to check if it's been thrown in amongst the spraypaint and chainsaw blades.

eep

taildrag
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:10 pm UTC

Re: "Online Package Tracking" Discussion

Postby taildrag » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:19 pm UTC

taildrag wrote:At least my package left Memphis, I just didn't know FedEx perfected delayed teleportation. 13 minutes from Memphis, TN to Berkeley, MO.

Image


Not to be outdone, UPS has improved on FedEx's delayed teleportation: 5 minutes from Louisville, KY to St. Louis, MO.

Image

User avatar
dennisw
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:09 am UTC
Location: Appearing pro se AND pro bono!
Contact:

Re:

Postby dennisw » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:45 am UTC

der_bAUer wrote:So after reading this comic, I think I must be glad not to have a tracking number for that huge 40 Meg hard drive I bought on eBay? I hope it will finally arrive today...
EDIT: to clarify, by huge I do not mean that it occupies a lot of room (it's a standard 2.5" form factor), but that it holds twice as much data as the old 20 MB hdd which does not work anymore.

Fiddling with old notebooks is fun!


Mmmmm... time travel... smells delicious!

Tracking grades: UPS: A- (usually better), Fedex: B- max., USPS: D- on a good day (more often I)
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

User avatar
Giannist
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:23 pm UTC
Location: College

Re: "Online Package Tracking" Discussion

Postby Giannist » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:08 pm UTC

This is a "Randall get out of my head moment." Most events in my life remind me of an xkcd comic. (All my conversations start with "Hey, you remember that xkcd comic where...") Right now, this is the comic that represents my life.

My new (used from eBay) cell phone has been picked up in Wilmington, MA. And I am going crazy!
"All Hail the God of Entropy!"

mattman00000
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:00 pm UTC

Re: 0281: "Online Package Tracking"

Postby mattman00000 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:54 pm UTC

I just noticed this on Fedex.com's package tracking service:

"Winter weather conditions at Memphis hub may cause some service delays and disruptions within the U.S. today."

xkcd prophesy came true?

zyxuvius
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:58 am UTC

Re: 0281: "Online Package Tracking"

Postby zyxuvius » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:07 pm UTC

*gasp!* I have a package going through Memphis right now! Does Randall order stuff from Newegg.com too?

Newegg.com is in California, yet UPS said my package originated in Memphis....hmm....


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests