0871: "Charity"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

g9lechro

Re: 0871: "Charity"

Postby g9lechro » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:23 pm UTC

I thought the last scene in the comic was referencing Farcry 2... :)

Crosshair

Postby Crosshair » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:42 pm UTC

Ideas sleep furiously. wrote:When it comes to charity, there is no too much and nothing is too little.

-Donates a button-

Africa begs to differ. Decades of foreign charity and many African countries are worse off than before. Charity prevented a domestic economy from forming because it undercut local producers.

Charity is just as deadly as bombs and bullets if it is poorly applied

MrConor

Postby MrConor » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:10 am UTC

Crosshair wrote:Charity is just as deadly as bombs and bullets if it is poorly applied

Although your intended point is valid (that trying to solve problems such as poverty just by throwing money at them can do the opposite of what it is supposed to), you mistake 'charity' for 'foreign financial aid'. A charitable act is an act performed to benefit your fellow man. In that sense of the word, there is certainly never too much and nothing too little.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:51 am UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:
SirMustapha wrote: By the way, I just realised that Randall still doesn't understand what the "Protip" meme actually means: he misuses it twice in the site header.

As for the Protip meme: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/protip
That article says the meme (I wasn't aware it was a meme until now) is usually used in a mocking way to introduce tips that are extremely obvious, however it can be used to introduce genuinely helpful tips, though that is less common.
I think Randall was either implementing that less common usage, or he is not aware that it is a meme.

Put me in the "not aware it was a meme" crowd too. I just took "Protip" as a word dug up from some pop source that precedes, well, tips. I guess I don't frequent the areas of the net where it's used snarkily...or maybe I'm just not troll enough to think of that spin?

Steroid wrote:Alternate message:

But here's what really happened:

Now look what you've done. I must go dig up my DVD of Clue and watch it immediately.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:11 am UTC

AlexTG wrote:He's making an observation about the human condition, because he's you know, a comedian?

That's what you are saying. Just as there is the party who will always condescendingly remind everyone that xkcd is "just a comic", there's the party who will, at the first opportunity, start jumping up and down and screaming "BUT XKCD IS NOT ALWAYS MEANT TO BE FUNNY IT CAN BE SERIOUS TOO!!!". Of course, you'll never hear them actively disagreeing: if two fans use completely opposite arguments to defend Randall, then they're both right.

As for the "Protips", well, you can use it to give actually useful information, in the same sense that you can make a Lolcat picture without a single grammar mistake: nobody will stop you from doing it. But if you're not extracting humour out of a meme, or if you're not making an interesting comment about it, why would you bother? Actually, why would Randall bother? That's right: he's using a meme he knows his fanbase will "get", without spending enough effort to see if he's doing it right. Randall is not particularly known for double checking his facts and fixing typos and mistakes before publishing his comics.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:21 pm UTC

People stopped listening to mustapha a long time ago. The only thing worse than rabid fans who think Randall can do no wrong are Randall's rabid detractors who foam at the mouth to tell everyone he's terrible.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:32 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:As for the "Protips", well, you can use it to give actually useful information, in the same sense that you can make a Lolcat picture without a single grammar mistake: nobody will stop you from doing it. But if you're not extracting humour out of a meme, or if you're not making an interesting comment about it, why would you bother? Actually, why would Randall bother? That's right: he's using a meme he knows his fanbase will "get", without spending enough effort to see if he's doing it right. Randall is not particularly known for double checking his facts and fixing typos and mistakes before publishing his comics.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

MrConor

Postby MrConor » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:52 pm UTC

meatyochre wrote:People stopped listening to mustapha a long time ago. The only thing worse than rabid fans who think Randall can do no wrong are Randall's rabid detractors who foam at the mouth to tell everyone he's terrible.

Not true. I listen to SirMustapha: his posts are often far more amusing than his contemporaries.

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:02 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:he's using a meme he knows his fanbase will "get", without spending enough effort to see if he's doing it right. Randall is not particularly known for double checking his facts and fixing typos and mistakes before publishing his comics.

I still think it's possible that he's not aware of the protip meme and thinks it's just an expression. And, while I hate to turn against you in a thread where I was previously agreeing with you, I think you go too far to declare what you think Randall's thoughts and intentions are in such an absolute and arbitrary way. Feel free to critique, don't be afraid to dislike or disagree (these being statements for people in general, as you seem to already follow them), but do not act as if you know with absolute certainty the thoughts or intentions of others.

meatyochre wrote:People stopped listening to mustapha a long time ago. The only thing worse than rabid fans who think Randall can do no wrong are Randall's rabid detractors who foam at the mouth to tell everyone he's terrible.

There's a difference between those who are likely to dislike something and those who dislike something for the sake of it.
Our suit-wearing pink rabbit acquaintance here, I think, genuinely likes or dislikes each strip.
Blogs such as xkcdsucks, xkcdexplained, and xkcdexplainedexplained (which really should be called xkcdexplainedelaborated), I think, are attention whores who bash xkcd strips as hard as they can in ways that often don't even make sense just for the sake of it. Hell, it's even possible that the authors of those blogs actually like the strip but are trying to exploit it anyway.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

zAlbee

Postby zAlbee » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:49 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote: he's using a meme he knows his fanbase will "get", without spending enough effort to see if he's doing it right.

Yes, because all memes are defined in the Oxford English Dictionary and don't evolve through collective usage in a community. :roll:

GauchosFTW

Postby GauchosFTW » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:50 am UTC

zAlbee wrote:
SirMustapha wrote: he's using a meme he knows his fanbase will "get", without spending enough effort to see if he's doing it right.

Yes, because all memes are defined in the Oxford English Dictionary and don't evolve through collective usage in a community. :roll:

SpudTater

Postby SpudTater » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:21 pm UTC

Turing Machine wrote:It seems positively rude, even if not quite asshole behavior, to rob Peter to pay Paul, but all right, moral-high-horseman.

Who's robbing who? The government takes my money in the form of taxes and spends it on those who can't, or won't, support themselves.
If I accept that some of my money goes to benefit cheats, petty criminals and the merely lazy (as the tabloids continually inform me), why on Earth would I reserve particular annoyance for a university professor who gives his earnings to charity?

From where I sit my moral horse appears to be of a fairly average size. You appear to be on a Shetland pony. But what hey.

dmm

Postby dmm » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:59 pm UTC

How do I post a .jpg file? I can't figure it out. I have a funny alternate ending for this comic, but can't post it. The file is located on my computer's hard drive at c:\Charity.jpg but the BBCode seems not to work. I hate to describe it rather than show it. Described comics are incredibly unfunny.

BrianB

Postby BrianB » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:40 pm UTC

dmm wrote:How do I post a .jpg file? I can't figure it out. I have a funny alternate ending for this comic, but can't post it. The file is located on my computer's hard drive at c:\Charity.jpg but the BBCode seems not to work. I hate to describe it rather than show it. Described comics are incredibly unfunny.

You are either A) a troll, or B) not smart enough to read xkcd.

MrConor

Postby MrConor » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:50 pm UTC

dmm wrote:How do I post a .jpg file? I can't figure it out. I have a funny alternate ending for this comic, but can't post it. The file is located on my computer's hard drive at c:\Charity.jpg but the BBCode seems not to work. I hate to describe it rather than show it. Described comics are incredibly unfunny.

1. Upload to ImageShack or another online picture-hosting service.
2. Use the [img] tag to link directly to image in your post.
3. ????
4. Profit!

dmm

Postby dmm » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:01 pm UTC

BrianB wrote:

You are either A) a troll, or B) not smart enough to read xkcd.

Wow, harsh. Get some counseling. LOL! Just out of curiosity, why A)?

BrianB

Postby BrianB » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:45 pm UTC

dmm wrote:Wow, harsh. Get some counseling. LOL! Just out of curiosity, why A)?

Because half of the postings to Art of Trolling are of trolls posting leading or obviously fake questions to get people to answer them.

And I would think someone who can understand the genius behind xkcd humor would know that you have to have the picture on the 'net somewhere for it to show up in the forum.

Granted, maybe they thought that bbcode would "upload" the picture for them, I'm just not buying it.

:D

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:07 pm UTC

BioTube wrote:Image

SirMustapha wrote:But if you're not extracting humour out of a meme (...)

Sorry, but I got that one covered.

SpringLoaded12 wrote:I still think it's possible that he's not aware of the protip meme and thinks it's just an expression.

Which would be weird, as Randall used to make meme-related jokes VERY often, and was very knowledgeable about that. I say "was" because, lately, the meme-related comics have decreased quite a lot, but he made loads of Rickroll jokes and was already misusing "Protip" way back in the "Star Wars Christmas Special" comic. One look in Urban Dictionary is all he needs, but as I say, that seems to be too much for him.

And, while I hate to turn against you in a thread where I was previously agreeing with you, I think you go too far to declare what you think Randall's thoughts and intentions are in such an absolute and arbitrary way.

Whose fault is it that Randall feels the need to expose himself so much in his comic? Ball pits, raptors, kites, Python... basically every thing that suddenly interests him ends up in his comic, and he shares his feelings way more often than a humourist would bother to do. He should have known the consequences of doing that: if you put your face up to the public, you're bound to get slapped, and it's no use whining around about that.

Feel free to critique, don't be afraid to dislike or disagree (these being statements for people in general, as you seem to already follow them), but do not act as if you know with absolute certainty the thoughts or intentions of others.

SpringLoaded12 wrote:Blogs such as xkcdsucks, xkcdexplained, and xkcdexplainedexplained (which really should be called xkcdexplainedelaborated), I think, are attention whores who bash xkcd strips as hard as they can in ways that often don't even make sense just for the sake of it. Hell, it's even possible that the authors of those blogs actually like the strip but are trying to exploit it anyway.

I can say that Zach Wheeler, who created xkcd sucks (which was retitled to xkcd: Overrated for some time) was very genuine in his attempt, but the current owner, Rob, uses it for pure satire now... well, actually, he did, but the "Advertising" comic pushed his buttons and he criticised it very earnestly. xkcd explained was also a piece of satire; attention whores, if you will, but I personally think most of their posts were very witty.

zAlbee wrote:Yes, because all memes are defined in the Oxford English Dictionary and don't evolve through collective usage in a community. :roll:

Well, there is the Internet Meme Database...

But you said it right: the usage in a community. As far as I know, Randall is not a community, so he won't singlehandedly make the meme "evolve" somehow. If I start derogatorily saying the fans here are all "l33t", it won't be an evolution at all, but a demonstration of being a complete tool.

dmm

Postby dmm » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:32 pm UTC

OK, so here's my redo of the strip, with my alternate ending. (This process was MUCH harder than it needed to be. Isn't it 2011? Thanks, MrConor.)
You might need to do some web searching to get the joke if you're not as smart as BrianB. :roll:

Kalos

Postby Kalos » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:36 pm UTC

I'm not sure what the hell Randall is trying to say here. At first glance, it seems as if he's saying that trying to be holier-than-thou to increase donations to charity is actually going to stop donations in their entirety, but then the alt-text seems to indicate that Randall sympathizes with the girl instead, and female characters in xkcd are generally portrayed as being correct, or at the very least, gaining the high-ground in a disagreement.

And really? "People care about their own happiness" is what turned this guy into a bitter cynic? Someone keep him away from cable news or he's likely to hang himself.

MrConor

Postby MrConor » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:35 pm UTC

Kalos wrote:I'm not sure what the hell Randall is trying to say here. At first glance, it seems as if he's saying that trying to be holier-than-thou to increase donations to charity is actually going to stop donations in their entirety, but then the alt-text seems to indicate that Randall sympathizes with the girl instead, and female characters in xkcd are generally portrayed as being correct, or at the very least, gaining the high-ground in a disagreement.

And really? "People care about their own happiness" is what turned this guy into a bitter cynic? Someone keep him away from cable news or he's likely to hang himself.

I don't know about that: recently, women matching a certain description have been portrayed as being characteristically obnoxious. A little bitter, maybe?

Kalos

Postby Kalos » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:20 am UTC

MrConor wrote:I don't know about that: recently, women matching a certain description have been portrayed as being characteristically obnoxious. A little bitter, maybe?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/generally

rebellionkid

Postby rebellionkid » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:28 pm UTC

Though of course if you really cared you'd check out [url]Givewell.org[/url] first. The Against Malaria foundation is more cost effective than nothing but nets. (Though it's close).

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”