0897: "Elevator Inspection"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Freiddie

0897: "Elevator Inspection"

Postby Freiddie » Wed May 11, 2011 4:07 am UTC

Alt: Even governmental elevator inspectors get bored halfway through asking where the building office is.

This actually applies to a lot of things, not just elevators.

P.S. Can't use URL tag.

MatteoTom

Re: 0897: "Elevator Inspection"

Postby MatteoTom » Wed May 11, 2011 4:14 am UTC

Oh no! I see this here before on xkcd.com! Damn timezones...

edit: nevermind, there it is... :oops:

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Wed May 11, 2011 4:24 am UTC

This is also true of speedometers in the vast majority of private and business vehicles.

As a rule, they are installed into the vehicle during production without ever being calibrated.
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

moorebf235

Postby moorebf235 » Wed May 11, 2011 4:36 am UTC

The elevator in my dorm proudly displayed an expired inspection certificate. Until parents weekend in october when they got a temporary 90 day inspection certificate which is now expired. Also if you stand on one side it hits the walls when its going up.

from canada

Postby from canada » Wed May 11, 2011 4:37 am UTC

hooray for contrived scenarios cause randall can't think of an actual joke

Flewellyn

Postby Flewellyn » Wed May 11, 2011 4:44 am UTC

from canada wrote:hooray for contrived scenarios cause randall can't think of an actual joke

Says the person with the Dilbert icon.

from canada

Postby from canada » Wed May 11, 2011 4:50 am UTC

Flewellyn wrote:
from canada wrote:hooray for contrived scenarios cause randall can't think of an actual joke

the difference being randal is trying to show us how clever he is by showing us that those crafty building owners are not smart enough to trick him

he knows their secrets and is generous enough to share this wisdom with the un-knowing masses

Flewellyn

Postby Flewellyn » Wed May 11, 2011 4:53 am UTC

from canada wrote:
Flewellyn wrote:

the difference being randal is trying to show us how clever he is by showing us that those crafty building owners are not smart enough to trick him

he knows their secrets and is generous enough to share this wisdom with the un-knowing masses

Or...he thought it would be funny.

Do you really think that just because you didn't laugh, means the joke wasn't funny? Much less that you know Randall's mind?

Oy. Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

from canada

Postby from canada » Wed May 11, 2011 5:02 am UTC

Flewellyn wrote:
Or...he thought it would be funny.

Do you really think that just because you didn't laugh, means the joke wasn't funny? Much less that you know Randall's mind?

Oy. Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

No i'm pretty sure it's not funny because there actually isn't a joke. just some stilted dialogue and a preachy "guys you won't believe what i just realized! signs don't have to tell the truth, especially the ones I make up to provide strawman for my comic"!

jpgordon

Postby jpgordon » Wed May 11, 2011 5:03 am UTC

I wish I remembered where I'm stealing this from:

Next time you're on an elevator, just remember: every man has his price, and that of an elevator inspector is cheaper than most.

JBridge

Postby JBridge » Wed May 11, 2011 5:05 am UTC

Successful troll is successful.

rmac

Postby rmac » Wed May 11, 2011 5:07 am UTC

Please see: http://www.ibab.org/signs/signsx.php?n=11

Tyrannosaur

Postby Tyrannosaur » Wed May 11, 2011 5:13 am UTC

JBridge wrote:Successful troll is successful.

Regretfully, yes. :cry:
djessop wrote:The t-shirt should read "There are 11 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who insist the number above is pronounced as eleven no matter what base you're in".

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Wed May 11, 2011 5:23 am UTC

Even better: Put the building office on the twentieth floor.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

jsharpminor

Postby jsharpminor » Wed May 11, 2011 5:29 am UTC

Actually, this comic has already inspired me to sign up for the forums.

It very well may be that the next time I see such a sign, I'll feel inspired to check out the cert in the office, as well!

Flewellyn

Postby Flewellyn » Wed May 11, 2011 5:35 am UTC

Tyrannosaur wrote:

Regretfully, yes. :cry:

The juxtaposition of "contrived scenarios because the writer can't think of a real joke" with a DILBERT avatar was just too much to pass up, sorry.

Solandri

Postby Solandri » Wed May 11, 2011 5:36 am UTC

Ha ha. We just went through this with the elevator in our building. (The new building manager got the inspector's report, saw "Pass" under "Elevator" and figured everything was good and filed it away. The "Pass" meant "passenger", as in passenger elevator, not that it passed inspection. So we didn't get the annual maintenance tests that the inspector ordered done on time.) If the elevator permit expires, the state inspector will come by and red tag the elevator with red sticky tape across the doors which says it's out of compliance, do not use. Then they bug you with phone calls and letters until you get the permit renewed. There's probably an additional fine for tearing off the sticky tape.

The state gives you a month or so to get the elevator back in compliance after the permit expires. You're allowed to use the elevator during this time as long as you show them that you're in the process of getting the required tests done (work orders, etc). That's why sometimes you'll see an elevator with a permit that's a month or two expired. It's only after this time that they'll come by and red tag the elevator.

I'm not sure why some elevators say the permit is at the office. My guess would be because of theft and vandalism. Our elevator has the permit mounted behind a plate screwed on with non-standard torx screws to prevent just anyone from opening it and removing the paper. This is another reason why you might see a permit that's expired - the building owner hasn't bothered to find the torx wrench to open the damn thing and put in the new permit.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Wed May 11, 2011 5:41 am UTC

Solandri wrote:Ha ha. We just went through this with the elevator in our building. (The new building manager got the inspector's report, saw "Pass" under "Elevator" and figured everything was good and filed it away. The "Pass" meant "passenger", as in passenger elevator, not that it passed inspection. So we didn't get the annual maintenance tests that the inspector ordered done on time.) If the elevator permit expires, the state inspector will come by and red tag the elevator with red sticky tape across the doors which says it's out of compliance, do not use. Then they bug you with phone calls and letters until you get the permit renewed. There's probably an additional fine for tearing off the sticky tape.

The state gives you a month or so to get the elevator back in compliance after the permit expires. You're allowed to use the elevator during this time as long as you show them that you're in the process of getting the required tests done (work orders, etc). That's why sometimes you'll see an elevator with a permit that's a month or two expired. It's only after this time that they'll come by and red tag the elevator.

I'm not sure why some elevators say the permit is at the office. My guess would be because of theft and vandalism. Our elevator has the permit mounted behind a plate screwed on with non-standard torx screws to prevent just anyone from opening it and removing the paper. This is another reason why you might see a permit that's expired - the building owner hasn't bothered to find the torx wrench to open the damn thing and put in the new permit.

Exactly. Inspectors are not passive people sitting in their office waiting for the building managers to get to them... someday. They can and do check regularly and shut down any elevator they deem unsafe.

My Grandfather was the chief electrical inspector for our city until his retirement a few years back, and before that he inspected elevators. In fact the elevator inspectors were part of the city electrical inspection office.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Stanistani

Postby Stanistani » Wed May 11, 2011 5:50 am UTC

Not too long ago I audited an organization (not alone - we had a small army of auditors) and yes, we went and checked the permits on file.
They were there, and up to date.

But I did chuckle a bit.

jalohones

Postby jalohones » Wed May 11, 2011 6:59 am UTC

I know! Isn't it awesome? Along with the smug science lecture and the "Get out of my brain, Randall!" it means I've already filled in my XKCD comments bingo card for the week.

ysth

Postby ysth » Wed May 11, 2011 7:44 am UTC

Am I the only one who read "Whoa, cool! Let's go look at it!" and thought it was a swell idea?
A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |

Virodhi

Postby Virodhi » Wed May 11, 2011 8:41 am UTC

ysth wrote:Am I the only one who read "Whoa, cool! Let's go look at it!" and thought it was a swell idea?

See, what you should do, if you ever want to see a grown person cry, is to walk into a hospital and ask to see your full medical records (best attempted in a country with national healthcare for maximum archivist anguish). Especially if you're old enough that much of the stuff won't be digitalised. Those x-ray plates? An absolute nightmare to archive.

mlowry

That vs. which

Postby mlowry » Wed May 11, 2011 8:44 am UTC

“Those signs mark elevators that have never been inspected.”

http://www.google.com/search?q=that+vs+which

monkeygunner

Postby monkeygunner » Wed May 11, 2011 10:14 am UTC

When I read this comic, the first thing I thought about was a book titled The Intuitionist. This book actually made the subject of elevator inspecting interesting.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed May 11, 2011 12:41 pm UTC

if "lifts" have inspection certificates in the UK they are either hidden behind an access panel away from curious eyes, or non existant. which kind of takes the humour out of this joke for me, unfortunately

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed May 11, 2011 1:00 pm UTC

There sure as hell is no joke in the comic, but Randall still had to explain it! That second line in the caption is the most off-putting and condescending thing that could happen to this comic, and it would absolutely kill the joke even if it existed.

Klear

Postby Klear » Wed May 11, 2011 1:15 pm UTC

Trolls aside, this strip didn't work for me at all. Maybe if I lived somewhere where every lift had a sign like this.. but I haven't ever seen anything like it.

LinuxPenguin

Postby LinuxPenguin » Wed May 11, 2011 1:35 pm UTC

G'dammit! I was recently working in a building that had that "cert. in building office" sign in the lift. It was a really sketchy one, too. It kept lurching and creaking in a not-very-comforting way. :?
 Mac User (Running OS X, Linux, and Chrome OS)

Dauthi

Re: That vs. which

Postby Dauthi » Wed May 11, 2011 1:36 pm UTC

mlowry wrote:“Those signs mark elevators that have never been inspected.”

http://www.google.com/search?q=that+vs+which

I'll see your google query, and raise you by usage information.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/which#Statistics

While I relentlessly correct that v. which issues, I recognize that the justification for it is about as nonexistent as the proscription of split infinitives.
(Which is to say, it's all pretty arbitrary and not based on any logical reason.)

Klear wrote:Trolls aside, this strip didn't work for me at all. Maybe if I lived somewhere where every lift had a sign like this.. but I haven't ever seen anything like it.

It worked for me because I have seen signs like this, and I cynically concluded the same as the caption.

Good to hear people assert that, while mildly amusing, this isn't actually the case. I wish I were mentally capable of believing you. :mrgreen:

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Wed May 11, 2011 1:46 pm UTC

I was on an elevator once. I made a comment to a friend about the inspection sticker being out of date and the next day it was replaced with a notice that the certificate was in the human resources office. Probably along with your pink slip.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

thevicente

Postby thevicente » Wed May 11, 2011 1:49 pm UTC

I find it strange that I got very slighty aroused looking at a drawing of a stick figure just because she has a ponytail and arms spread above her head.

Misopogon

Postby Misopogon » Wed May 11, 2011 2:08 pm UTC

Dear Mr. Monroe:

Thanks for making this a very strange day indeed.

--Building managers everywhere

Johnny Pixels

Postby Johnny Pixels » Wed May 11, 2011 2:27 pm UTC

I was expecting the building office to be on the top floor, so you'd have to take the elevator first to check if the elevator was safe.

tokamak

Postby tokamak » Wed May 11, 2011 2:31 pm UTC

If I had a dollar for every expired elevator permit I ever saw...

squig

Postby squig » Wed May 11, 2011 2:49 pm UTC

A lift ("elevator") at a friends apartment building would stop if 3 or more people jumped in the air and landed at the same time while the thing was moving, allowing the occupants to force the doors open. We did this between floors and wrote our names on the between-floor concrete. I like to imagine in years to come some contractor seeing the names and scratching his head.

Zylon

Postby Zylon » Wed May 11, 2011 2:56 pm UTC

Anyone is welcome to view the elevator inspection certificates. They're on display in a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the Leopard".

exhnozoaa

Postby exhnozoaa » Wed May 11, 2011 3:29 pm UTC

I work at a place where the vending license is displayed on the wall behind the counter. You can't read it from the public side, but it says it expired ten years ago.

Sporky McForkinspoon

Postby Sporky McForkinspoon » Wed May 11, 2011 3:51 pm UTC

squig wrote:A lift ("elevator") at a friends apartment building would stop if 3 or more people jumped in the air and landed at the same time while the thing was moving, allowing the occupants to force the doors open. We did this between floors and wrote our names on the between-floor concrete. I like to imagine in years to come some contractor seeing the names and scratching his head.

Now I'm curious, what possessed you figure that out? It would never occur to me to get two friends to jump up and down in the elevator with me to see what would happen.
Last edited by Sporky McForkinspoon on Wed May 11, 2011 4:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Satorical

Postby Satorical » Wed May 11, 2011 4:27 pm UTC

In a building at the large public university I attended (we'll call it...Florida State), there was an elevator inspection certificate years out of date. Some genius had used large block letters on it, writing YOU GONNA DIE!!!

Qwerty.55

Postby Qwerty.55 » Wed May 11, 2011 5:23 pm UTC

And here I was thinking I was the only person on earth with strange desires to check elevator certifications in the building office.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”