0905: "Homeownership"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Icalasari

0905: "Homeownership"

Postby Icalasari » Mon May 30, 2011 4:15 am UTC

Alt Text: "New research shows over 60% of the financial collapse's toxic assets were created by power drills."

EDIT: Out of all that and I screw up by forgetting a digit

joee

Re: 0905: "Homeownership"

Postby joee » Mon May 30, 2011 4:19 am UTC

I had this same feeling when I moved into my new rental place and the landlord was okay with me putting hooks and nails into the walls. I was like :D sweet
Hi glasnt.

from canada

Postby from canada » Mon May 30, 2011 4:21 am UTC

it's funny cause autism

madock345

Postby madock345 » Mon May 30, 2011 4:24 am UTC

GOOMHR! I drilled holes in my house until it collapsed!

Spoiler:
It was only one wall, and we did it on purpose for construction.
"As the size of an Explosion increses the number of social situations it is incapable of resolving approches zero"
-Vaarsuvius, The Order of the Stick
Spoiler:
ethereal_fire wrote:madock345, I like your sig : )

Qwerty.55 wrote:I like your new recursive sig even better than before.

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Mon May 30, 2011 4:29 am UTC

I can put holes in the wall as long as they're small. But I can't make too many of them, because that would require much more than spackle and a paint touchup to fix. And I couldn't get the building to collapse, since it's one room in a 24-story skyscraper. So, uh, comic still has a point.
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Mon May 30, 2011 4:38 am UTC

joee wrote:I had this same feeling when I moved into my new rental place and the landlord was okay with me putting hooks and nails into the walls. I was like :D sweet

As a renter of a house with cement walls, I envy you. *buys more 3M hooks*

HI JOEE

squidfood

Postby squidfood » Mon May 30, 2011 4:40 am UTC

I very much remember that exact 'aha', a month after buying, doing some minor repair / rewiring and suddenly staring and thinking "holy crap, I could take out that wall RIGHT NOW and no one would care." I remember feeling very proudly restrained when I waited a week and used dust control and made sure it was non-structural (still swung a sledgehammer tho).

from canada

Postby from canada » Mon May 30, 2011 5:03 am UTC

squidfood wrote:...I waited a week and used dust control and made sure it was non-structural...

pansy

Nnelg

Postby Nnelg » Mon May 30, 2011 5:06 am UTC

Too bad he didn't decide to put nails in the wall instead, it'd probably still stand unless he pulled them out.

mikekearn

Postby mikekearn » Mon May 30, 2011 5:07 am UTC

This is why I don't want to buy a house - I want to build a house. If it's something I built, then I really hate to tear it apart. It's why I have LEGO buildings that are years old - I just can't bring myself to break them up for parts.
"I will not succumb to temptation. Unless she's cute."

This is a haiku.
It has correct number of
Syllables. I think.

Visit the orphateria.

Vellup

Postby Vellup » Mon May 30, 2011 5:18 am UTC

I'd say the real problem with owning your own place is that you never clean it. That's probably what would happen to me. Think piles of unwashed dishes, mountains of garbage, a moldy fridge, clothes all over the floor and don't even get me started about the toilet. That's the real reason the house would fall down.
Honorable clean-upper of the (always in progress) Magi-Nation Wiki.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Mon May 30, 2011 5:33 am UTC

And here I thought he'd just try to excavate several new cellars with a pickaxe until the house collapsed.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

dontthrowpooh

Postby dontthrowpooh » Mon May 30, 2011 5:38 am UTC

Vellup wrote:I'd say the real problem with owning your own place is that you never clean it. That's probably what would happen to me. Think piles of unwashed dishes, mountains of garbage, a moldy fridge, clothes all over the floor and don't even get me started about the toilet. That's the real reason the house would fall down.

Seriously that is horrible, I've let my house go before but never that badly
Stop putting the Grammar Jews in ovens Grammer NAzis

Sir Lunch-a-lot

Postby Sir Lunch-a-lot » Mon May 30, 2011 5:51 am UTC

Vellup wrote:I'd say the real problem with owning your own place is that you never clean it. That's probably what would happen to me. Think piles of unwashed dishes, mountains of garbage, a moldy fridge, clothes all over the floor and don't even get me started about the toilet. That's the real reason the house would fall down.

I might argue that the reverse would be true. If you own, it's yours and you are likely to keep it cleaner. Renting... not so much. I've seen more messy rental suites than messy purchased houses.

Vellup

Postby Vellup » Mon May 30, 2011 6:08 am UTC

dontthrowpooh wrote:Seriously that is horrible, I've let my house go before but never that badly

Well, I said "probably," so it's more of a hypothetical exaggeration. :mrgreen: But since the comic itself also an exaggeration, I'd say an example like that is just fine.

That being said, if I were to get hammer and nail on my own house, the first thing I'd try to do is add a secret underground base.
Honorable clean-upper of the (always in progress) Magi-Nation Wiki.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon May 30, 2011 6:26 am UTC

I think I've done more damage to my own car than to any rental. DIY disaster trying to sand off the rust and repaint with primer, crappy tire jack went out when replacing tire (luckily the spare was under it, so no real damage there)...

dontthrowpooh

Postby dontthrowpooh » Mon May 30, 2011 6:48 am UTC

Vellup wrote:
dontthrowpooh wrote:Seriously that is horrible, I've let my house go before but never that badly

Well, I said "probably," so it's more of a hypothetical exaggeration. :mrgreen: But since the comic itself also an exaggeration, I'd say an example like that is just fine.

That being said, if I were to get hammer and nail on my own house, the first thing I'd try to do is add a secret underground base.

Right there with you, if only it didn't cost so much to dig out clay
Stop putting the Grammar Jews in ovens Grammer NAzis

Gye

Postby Gye » Mon May 30, 2011 6:51 am UTC

I read that as "This house is a mine?" and was disappointed by the lack of Minecraft references.

Mo6eB

Postby Mo6eB » Mon May 30, 2011 7:18 am UTC

Strange. I own an apartment and I've never felt the need to drill holes in the walls. Except to route the ethernet cables, of course.
GENERATION [imath]\aleph_{1}[/imath] : Whenever you wish, copy this into your sig on any forum and increase the generation to the next transfinite cardinal. Social experiment NOT over.

jozwa

Postby jozwa » Mon May 30, 2011 8:06 am UTC

I feel sorry for the poor mental guy.

melladh

Postby melladh » Mon May 30, 2011 8:14 am UTC

It's what I'm worrying about too.
Image Image

aku

Postby aku » Mon May 30, 2011 8:14 am UTC

glasnt wrote:
joee wrote:I had this same feeling when I moved into my new rental place and the landlord was okay with me putting hooks and nails into the walls. I was like :D sweet

As a renter of a house with cement walls, I envy you. *buys more 3M hooks*

HI JOEE

Let me introduce you to your newest friend. I'm sure the owner won't mind.

I don't own the house I currently live in, but our agreement with the owner was "just don't knock out a wall without calling me". Luckily he's a friend of my roommate's family. We were recently comfortable drilling holes in the walls and floors to run coax and ethernet cables across the house without asking him -- that's an awesome freedom, after renting apartments for my whole life. As I write this, my other roommate is finishing up wall mounting his TV.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon May 30, 2011 8:53 am UTC

Much as I am loathe to pull a GOOMHR, I bought my first house a few weeks ago and had a similar realisation. Except in my case, it's candles. In my rented places, candles were banned because of fire hazard rules. Now that I'm in my own place, I can light as many as I want. My house smells very much like vanilla as a result. Also yesterday I pretty much demolished a certain corner of the kitchen in order to make room for an oven. I'd never have gotten away with that previously.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

cgalant

Postby cgalant » Mon May 30, 2011 9:10 am UTC

For me, the timing on this comic is almost freaky: I close on my first house tomorrow.

SW15243

Postby SW15243 » Mon May 30, 2011 9:16 am UTC

There's a comic he did awhile ago about a guy trying to get a mortgage or something similar which had more or less the same punchline. I can't be assed to go find it, but I feel like it might be the same guy.

mdr86

Postby mdr86 » Mon May 30, 2011 9:59 am UTC

Perhaps comic 616?

willpellmn

Postby willpellmn » Mon May 30, 2011 11:23 am UTC

Unfortunately in our society, owning something doesn't give you the right to do anything you want with it. All manner of laws, ordinances and regulations restrict your ability to use your property, usually for BS reasons.

zeptimius

Postby zeptimius » Mon May 30, 2011 11:36 am UTC

I just moved house last Friday, from my last rented place into my first bought place, so appropriate...

Tuinkabouter

Postby Tuinkabouter » Mon May 30, 2011 12:03 pm UTC

If you own a house you still get a mortgage (except when you're excessively rich), so technically it belongs to the bank, you can call yourself owner, but are you really?

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon May 30, 2011 1:30 pm UTC

Tuinkabouter wrote:If you own a house you still get a mortgage (except when you're excessively rich), so technically it belongs to the bank, you can call yourself owner, but are you really?

No. Technically, you own the house 100%. You just also happen to owe a lot of money to the bank, to be repaid on a pre-agreed schedule. The bank has an interest in your house insofar as it is collateral in case you find yourself unable to make the payments.

So yeah, in effect, the bank owns whatever percentage of the house you've not paid yet. But technically, you own it.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Mon May 30, 2011 1:41 pm UTC

I like the joke here, I seriously do. But I can't help it, Randall still doesn't know how to write a joke. Did anyone else notice that EVERY SINGLE LINE OF DIALOGUE after "My house has a... problem" is ENTIRELY UNNECESSARY? It explicitly tells exactly what the reader has to figure out on his own in order to make the joke work.

There's no joke good enough that Randall can't ruin it, it seems.

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Mon May 30, 2011 2:02 pm UTC

Because whimsical irresponsibility == comedy, right?
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

feyayeruka

Postby feyayeruka » Mon May 30, 2011 2:19 pm UTC

oh thank you! I recently bought my first home... and a power drill. This comic has saved me from potential disaster. admittedly, I've already knocked out 2 walls and the kitchen floor... :oops: but it's not too late to save the rest of the house.
The tunnel I'm digging under the foundations should be okay though, right?

kg959

Postby kg959 » Mon May 30, 2011 3:14 pm UTC

My friend had an agreement with his landlord that holes in the wall were okay as long as they were smaller than a quarter. Before he left, he took a nickel and a hammer to his walls until his place looked like a block of Swiss cheese. Thousands of nickel sized holes, 0 quarter sized holes.

Steeler

Postby Steeler » Mon May 30, 2011 3:17 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:I like the joke here, I seriously do. But I can't help it, Randall still doesn't know how to write a joke. Did anyone else notice that EVERY SINGLE LINE OF DIALOGUE after "My house has a... problem" is ENTIRELY UNNECESSARY? It explicitly tells exactly what the reader has to figure out on his own in order to make the joke work.

There's no joke good enough that Randall can't ruin it, it seems.
There is some humor in the fact that the person on the other end of the phone successfully figured out what happened. But I can't help feeling I've seen that particular bit of humor on xkcd many times before.
"What would happen if did you first know that do I say tell me about your feelings about him that you came to me the real reason explain anything else that you came to me?"
-Emacs Psychiatrist upon repeated presses of the enter key

rcox1

Postby rcox1 » Mon May 30, 2011 4:10 pm UTC

The humor to me is that in my area there have have been several cycles of home building over the past 30 years or so in which the houses could probably be brought down by simply drilling a few holes. For a house built to spec, even removing a load bearing wall is not necessarily going to immediately make the house fall down.

When I think of a rented place, I think of leaving it as close to possible as when I came. Typically the places I have lived will be painted before the new tennet arrives, so I just spackle any small holes I have made Obviously eventually the gypsum board will have to be replaced, but i rental property that would have to happen anyway due to wear and tear, or not for low rent places. Likewise I mostly have stayed at places a few year, so i figure the carpet will have to be replaced as well.

I would have to agree with the several comments that say one nice thing about rental properties is the lack of need of thinking about long term maintenance. If one owns a place one thinks about keeping the carpet up and trying not to mess up the paint, While I don't think all renters eschew preventive maintenance, I have known people who say they move once a year so they do not have to clean up so much.
Last edited by rcox1 on Tue May 31, 2011 2:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

A_of_s_t

Postby A_of_s_t » Mon May 30, 2011 4:16 pm UTC

Yet another comic we can all relate to.
Check out my web interzones powered by Web 3.0 technology running on Mozzarella Foxfire:
Spoiler:

when

Postby when » Mon May 30, 2011 4:36 pm UTC

I always find it funny when anyone says that they "own" a house.

If you're paying a mortgage on it, you don't own it, the bank does.

If you're not paying a mortgage on it, you still have to pay property taxes so really the government owns it.

And just try putting up a deck without having to kowtow to some government functionary - if someone tells you what you can do to your own property, that's not ownership either.

When you sell a house, you're simply selling the put option on your state- and bank-owned house.

If you have to keep paying someone to keep using something, that's not ownership, that's called RENT. At least in other countries you can't buy property at all, you sign a 99 year lease from the government so at least they're honest about it.

Homeownership is such a scam. It ties people down, ties up their wealth in illiquid assets, and promotes bubbles. Renting (and happily investing the difference) FTW.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon May 30, 2011 4:48 pm UTC

I agree that when you still owe the bank most of the value of the house, you don't own it yet. However, paying taxes and occasionally needing permits to build new things on your property aren't the same thing as not owning that property. Just because ownership doesn't give you *absolute* rights over something doesn't mean you don't own it. Owning a gun doesn't mean I can shoot it wherever I want. Owning a car doesn't mean I can drive it wherever I want. Owning a pet doesn't mean I can treat it however I want.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon May 30, 2011 5:14 pm UTC

when wrote:Renting (and happily investing the difference) FTW.

Great until you realise that renting costs more than a mortgage.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”