0908: "The Cloud"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

0908: "The Cloud"

Postby Arancaytar » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:03 am UTC

http://www.xkcd.com/908/

Title text: "There's planned downtime every night when we turn on the Roomba and it runs over the cord."

Reminds me of the "This is the internet" scene in IT Crowd. Huh, did Randall ever leave out the title text before?
Last edited by Arancaytar on Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.
Arancaytar

Re: 0908: The Cloud

Postby bsphil » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:04 am UTC

Was just about to make a thread asking what happened to the title text.
bsphil

Re: 0908: "The Cloud"

Postby Taymon » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:04 am UTC

Arancaytar wrote:Huh, did Randall ever leave out the title text before?

Yes. It always shows up eventually.
Taymon

Postby Boingloing » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:04 am UTC

I was like D: over the missing title-text.

this one was okay.
Boingloing

Postby NoOutlet » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:05 am UTC

I think "accidentally" leaving out the title text might be the joke of the title text.
NoOutlet

Postby vodka.cobra » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:05 am UTC

No, THIS is the Cloud: http://rpgfansclub.files.wordpress.com/ ... /cloud.jpg
NoOutlet wrote:I think "accidentally" leaving out the title text might be the joke of the title text.

That's where you're wrong, as the title text is now there.

"There's planned downtime every night when we turn on the Roomba and it runs over the cord." You're welcome.
Last edited by vodka.cobra on Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:07 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
vodka.cobra

Postby Arancaytar » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:05 am UTC

I accidentally the whole alt!
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.
Arancaytar

Postby KShrike » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:06 am UTC

Someone always trips on the cord when you are trying to download the alt text.
On 10/10/10, My Little Pony started to appeal to adult males. Ya rly!
Forget the /b/ memes, and go watch the show and see what I mean. After all, the /b/ memes exist because the show itself is so cleverly written. Check it out!
KShrike

Postby hujackus » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:07 am UTC

I looked in the source to double check the title text. I would have thought an empty string would still trigger a blank title text box to appear. I guess not.
Last edited by hujackus on Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
hujackus

Postby KShrike » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:07 am UTC

alt: "There's planned downtime every night when we turn on the Roomba and it runs over the cord."
Forget the /b/ memes, and go watch the show and see what I mean. After all, the /b/ memes exist because the show itself is so cleverly written. Check it out!
KShrike

Postby glasnt » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:07 am UTC

I've worked it out.

Black Hat Guy is Henry van Statten
glasnt

Postby KShrike » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:10 am UTC

vodka.cobra wrote:No, THIS is the Cloud: http://rpgfansclub.files.wordpress.com/ ... /cloud.jpg
NoOutlet wrote:I think "accidentally" leaving out the title text might be the joke of the title text.

"There's planned downtime every night when we turn on the Roomba and it runs over the cord." You're welcome.

Acutally, that's the fail.

THIS is the cloud (or at least, will pwn your cloud to pieces).
Last edited by KShrike on Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
KShrike

Postby hujackus » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:10 am UTC

Yay!

There's planned downtime every night when we turn on the Roomba and it runs over the cord.
hujackus

Postby blkballoon925 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:10 am UTC

This reminds me more of the South Park episode where we learn that at the core of the Internet is a giant Linksys router.
Last edited by blkballoon925 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
blkballoon925

Postby KShrike » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:14 am UTC

So, I'm guessing (as I've been guessing) that the cloud is in fact a "Huge, amorphous network of servers somewhere".
KShrike

Postby vodka.cobra » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:17 am UTC

KShrike wrote:
vodka.cobra wrote:No, THIS is the Cloud: http://rpgfansclub.files.wordpress.com/ ... /cloud.jpg

No, that is the Kefka. You are a moron.
vodka.cobra

Postby Beardhammer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:25 am UTC

His character design looks a lot better with that weird half-jacket thing. Still not a fan of the boyish looks though.
Beardhammer

Postby vodka.cobra » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:28 am UTC

Beardhammer wrote:

His character design looks a lot better with that weird half-jacket thing. Still not a fan of the boyish looks though.

Then again, look at what it's being compared to:

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/ ... Strife.gif

Not exactly the pinnacle of aesthetics. In fact, I think the Lego version of his design is an upgrade.
vodka.cobra

Postby meatyochre » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:57 am UTC

The present state of cloud computing: http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/ ... 2011-04-29

Never put all your eggs in one basket.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

meatyochre

Postby ysth » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:04 am UTC

"There's a lot of caching."

Burn, cheese, burn.
A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |
ysth

Postby Pikrass » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:12 am UTC

KShrike wrote:

You're both wrong. THIS is the cloud. Sorry, someone had to do it.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)
Pikrass

Postby vodka.cobra » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:16 am UTC

Pikrass wrote:
KShrike wrote:

http://mspaintadventures.wikia.com/wiki/Skaia 'Nuff said.

(It was either that, or the 4chan thread where they discuss what type of clouds are in the background of a picture that was posted.)
vodka.cobra

Postby Brooks Hatlen » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:17 am UTC

vodka.cobra wrote:
Pikrass wrote:
KShrike wrote:

http://mspaintadventures.wikia.com/wiki/Skaia 'Nuff said.

(It was either that, or the 4chan thread where they discuss what type of clouds are in the background of a picture that was posted.)

Pleeeeease! These are all the cloud! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_(disambiguation)
Brooks Hatlen

Postby Whyareall » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:27 am UTC

"What is Jen doing with the internet?"
'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:The problem with imagination is it does a lousy job of interacting with the physical world. And you look crazy when you talk to it.
Whyareall

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:38 am UTC

So BHG is simultaneously making fun of The Cloud and of the naive guy who will believe whatever he's told about computer stuff. 'K.
ImagePlay the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

GAZEBO OINTMENT HARPSICHORD CREDENZA BUNGALOW
Eternal Density

Postby rcox1 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:06 am UTC

I would go with IT Crowd reference over South Park. South Park is often a child eyes view of the world with an adult overtone. I think some adults do believe tech support is a tape recorder telling them to reboot the machine, and the cloud is a server in someone's basement. That is why they are so confused when asked to pay reasonable costs for service.

I like this because for all the redundancies and complex designs, all too often processes fail due to an unnoticed single point of venerability. A simple design like this could be superior to badly implemented fancy alternatives.
rcox1

Postby Brooks Hatlen » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:26 am UTC

rcox1 wrote:all too often processes fail due to an unnoticed single point of venerability.

rcox1 wrote:single point of venerability.

rcox1 wrote:venerability

The machinations of today's world are destroyed not by malicious intent, but by age, dignity, and character worthy of respect. --Sun Tzu
Brooks Hatlen

Postby hintss » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:32 am UTC

so my intepretation is that BHG is saying people's applications are running on his server, but due to the slow internet speeds, there is a lot of client side caching. also, he will become BOFH in the near future, and have "accidental" shutdowns.

Am I right?
"s/god/flying spaghetti monster/"
hintss

Postby slaxor » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:50 am UTC

Anyone else get the feeling they've heard something like this before?
slaxor

Postby WhiteAvenger » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:35 am UTC

I see. So the recent Amazon outage was indeed someone tripping over the cord.
WhiteAvenger

Postby freyyr890 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:46 am UTC

I absolutely love this, because it helps expose all the overhyped marketing bullshit that "the cloud" is.

The cloud is the perfect marketing term: soft, indistinct, fluffy, and inviting. It's rapidly on its way to becoming the new High Definition or Web 2.0, as it's being improperly applied to just about every product imaginable. If a product somehow stores data on some server somewhere, it's now Cloud.

With the exception of actual elastic systems like Amazon E2, there's no new technology here (and elastic systems are really just VPSes that load balance nicely). They're also quite overpriced: Amazon charges $54/yr for their basic "micro" instance with two processor cores and 600 megs of RAM. For about the same price, you can get a budget OpenVZ VPS with one of the many cheap hosting companies out there with the same amount of RAM, access to 4-8 cores, and much better uptime - the most important thing of all in hosting. Plus, bandwidth is built into the cost of a VPS - Amazon charges fifteen cents per gigabyte, which will get expensive quite quickly.

tl;dr: Cloud is just more marketing kool-aid.
freyyr890

Postby Nergye » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:05 am UTC

vodka.cobra wrote:http://mspaintadventures.wikia.com/wiki/Skaia 'Nuff said.

<3

Never in paradox space has there been a better cloud than those above Skaia.
Nergye

Postby '); DROP TABLE users; » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:46 am UTC

freyyr890 wrote:I absolutely love this, because it helps expose all the overhyped marketing bullshit that "the cloud" is.

The cloud is the perfect marketing term: soft, indistinct, fluffy, and inviting. It's rapidly on its way to becoming the new High Definition or Web 2.0, as it's being improperly applied to just about every product imaginable. If a product somehow stores data on some server somewhere, it's now Cloud.

With the exception of actual elastic systems like Amazon E2, there's no new technology here (and elastic systems are really just VPSes that load balance nicely). They're also quite overpriced: Amazon charges $54/yr for their basic "micro" instance with two processor cores and 600 megs of RAM. For about the same price, you can get a budget OpenVZ VPS with one of the many cheap hosting companies out there with the same amount of RAM, access to 4-8 cores, and much better uptime - the most important thing of all in hosting. Plus, bandwidth is built into the cost of a VPS - Amazon charges fifteen cents per gigabyte, which will get expensive quite quickly.

tl;dr: Cloud is just more marketing kool-aid.

Well, yes and no. The term "cloud" is definitely being over- and mis-used, but I wouldn't agree that it's an entirely pointless term. It's just a new way of referring to data storage on a server somewhere, which is accessible from any location with an Internet connection. I'm not sure what's wrong with that - calling it "cloud" just gives it a nice friendly name that the average person can understand.

I think the rise in the use of the term reflects an increasing use of web storage, as apps become more and more focussed on making the same data accessible everywhere. You have to call it something.

Elastic VPSes such as Amazon or Rackspace offerings are actually very useful for certain sites and applications. Sure, if you can predict exactly how much traffic you're going to have, and want to have as close to 100% uptime as possible, you're probably better off with a traditional hosting solution. But if you're developing a site or application where the server traffic is going to fluctuate rapidly, then you can actually achieve greater uptime with a flexible solution because the server wont get overloaded during a traffic spike. And if you don't need the server running 24/7 (e.g. during development), it's a lot cheaper to only pay for the 8-10 hours a day that you actually use the server.

So yeah, the word cloud is getting massively overused and overhyped, just like AJAX and Web 2.0 before it. That's unavoidable with web technologies. There'll always be a million people out there who miss the point, and marketing departments wont care about the point if they can make more sales by misrepresenting the facts. But that doesn't render the term completely meaningless. There is some actual substance behind the cloud hype.
'); DROP TABLE users;

Postby Invisiblemoose » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:47 am UTC

freyyr890 wrote:They're also quite overpriced: Amazon charges $54/yr for their basic "micro" instance with two processor cores and 600 megs of RAM. For about the same price, you can get a budget OpenVZ VPS with one of the many cheap hosting companies out there with the same amount of RAM, access to 4-8 cores, and much better uptime - the most important thing of all in hosting. .

For ~$54/yr? Where do you recommend?
Invisiblemoose

Postby feyayeruka » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:53 pm UTC

but really, isn't that how all the world's finances are structured?
feyayeruka

Postby markthema3 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:15 pm UTC

I find this very funny, as I just bought a server on Friday and it is hooked up EXACTLY like Black Hat has his hooked up. (Also, I got a server with 2 Xeons for $40 :D )

Invisiblemoose wrote:
freyyr890 wrote:~snip~

For ~$54/yr? Where do you recommend?

At your buddy's house who has a super fast internet connection. Just buy your own server. I got mine at a Tech Club computer sale at my local high school. I would recommend either something like that, yard sales, or estate sales.
markthema3

Postby JustMe » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:45 pm UTC

As I googled something the other day, I realized my memory is in the cloud.
Which is great until my internet goes down.
I have traveled from 1963 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3
JustMe

Postby VaebnKehn » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:03 pm UTC

If the cloud stores information on people talking about and describing the cloud: does that make the cloud self-aware?
VaebnKehn

Postby McHell » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:09 pm UTC

Excellent comic... I've always had a creeping feeling like that. Amazon's cloud seems to be like that, going for a liedown in one block.

"Huge, amorphous network of servers" would be more menacing as a "huge, amphibious network of servers" or worrying as a "huge, amorous network of servers somewhere".
McHell

Next

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads