0909: "Worst-Case Shopping"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

0909: "Worst-Case Shopping"

Postby cjdrum » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:50 am UTC

Alt-Text: Wait a minute. If I'm escaping from a submarine at 50 meters, then I'll *definitely* need a flashlight to find air pockets for gradual decompression on the way up. Time to start shopping professional dive lights.

And this is why we're in a recession :lol:

Alt-text not fixed. Of course not. It's been right the whole time.
Last edited by cjdrum on Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
:shock:
cjdrum

Re: 0909: "Worst-Case Shopping"

Postby Eutychus » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:04 am UTC

Stay out of shops.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim
Eutychus

Postby Drooling Iguana » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:07 am UTC

The thing is, the resistance levels on watches only indicate the static pressure that the watch can withstand before water starts to get in. A 10m water resistant watch can sit in ten metres of still water without a problem, but as soon as you start to move around you risk leaks. Pushing the buttons is right out.

Basically, you should always get a watch that's resistant to well below the depths that you foresee yourself swimming to in order for it to be waterproof under actual usage scenarios. Something that's only water resistant to 10 metres is probably only good for wearing in the shower.

EDIT: Dammit, it looks like I completely misread the comic. Anyway, what I said probably applies to flashlights, too.
Drooling Iguana

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:09 am UTC

At first I thought this was an Alan Wake reference, and I was all "Penny Arcade already did thiiiiiiiis...."
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean
The Scyphozoa

Postby Azkyroth » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:17 am UTC

Of course, the marketers figured this one out years ago...
Azkyroth

Postby glasnt » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:21 am UTC

I actually did think of this when buying watches.

Because I live near the Great Barrier Reef, I totally could go scuba diving any time I bloody well wanted. (>^_^)>
glasnt

Postby MatteoTom » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:54 am UTC

I do this, but with even more useless features, like a dialup modem on my laptop (don't actually have it, but I thought about it)(you never know when you might need to dial in to the interwebs)
MatteoTom

Postby Hofstadter'sLaw » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:57 am UTC

Drooling Iguana wrote:The thing is, the resistance levels on watches only indicate the static pressure that the watch can withstand before water starts to get in. A 10m water resistant watch can sit in ten metres of still water without a problem, but as soon as you start to move around you risk leaks. Pushing the buttons is right out.

Basically, you should always get a watch that's resistant to well below the depths that you foresee yourself swimming to in order for it to be waterproof under actual usage scenarios. Something that's only water resistant to 10 metres is probably only good for wearing in the shower.

EDIT: Dammit, it looks like I completely misread the comic. Anyway, what I said probably applies to flashlights, too.

Ah. I always wondered why the directions for my watch, which is supposed to be water resistant to 100m, said it was only wearable around household sinks, while playing sports, and while swimming or poolside diving, but not scuba diving.
Hofstadter'sLaw

Postby nowhereman » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:16 am UTC

I think this is fine for normal products and resistances. However, I do this with basically every useless feature and item. Sadly this has lead to low capital and a plethora of crap that, quite frankly, is of no use to anyone and least of all me. I probably need help.
"God does not play dice with... Yahtzee!" - Little known quote from Einstein
nowhereman

Postby The Geoff » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:26 am UTC

Excellent, I get to be a right little smarty-pants with my first thread ;)

With regards to the alt-text, it's very precisely wrong. Submarines are pressurised to normal atmospheric pressure, so you don't need to decompress, you just go fir the surface as quickly as possible.

Now, if you find air pockets on the way up then these will be pressurised, that's why they're air pockets. Breath that stuff for a few minutes and then shoot for the surface and you might well have a problem.

Sorry all. Oh, and hello - long time fan :)
The Geoff

Postby elchino » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:29 am UTC

I don't know how it is for depths up to 50m, but I recall from my open water SCUBA training that you wouldn't actually need to find air pockets to inhale on the way up. In fact, you'd be constantly exhaling while gradually ascending, and the air in your lungs would keep expanding so you wouldn't run out.
elchino

Postby StClair » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:38 am UTC

Hofstader'sLaw wrote:Ah. I always wondered why the directions for my watch, which is supposed to be water resistant to 100m, said it was only wearable around household sinks, while playing sports, and while swimming or poolside diving, but not scuba diving.

But you're all set for those 100m deep swimming pools.
StClair

Postby Hirg » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:40 am UTC

Once I didn't buy the flashlight that was water resistant to 50 meters. Then I dropped my sister's favorite ring in someone else's pool late at night, right before all the lights on the block went out because of a power surge. Taking a flashlight that isn't water resistant into a pool is a Bad Move.

So is playing keep-away with your older sister's ring, come to think of it, but hey...what else are a couple of ten and twelve-year-old boys supposed to do when stuck at a boring old person's house because their parents couldn't find any other place for them during a date night?

Ever since then, I've gone for the one with the most of whatever useless feature is advertised. For things with features that look really important (like water resistance and an attached LED flashlight and those cool reflector thingies and state-of-the-art glow-in-the-dark technology) I buy two: one for the car and one for the apartment. Never know when you'll need it.

Edit: Was just reading about waterproof hand-crank flashlights. I have got to get a few of those.
Last edited by Hirg on Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:47 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Hirg

Postby Hooch » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:44 am UTC

First comic in a while that made me laugh audibly. Story of my life, by the way (indirectly). As soon as I throw something tangible away, I find a practical use for it.
LOVE ME
djntd.bandcamp.com
youtube.com/user/DJNTDOfficial
Hooch

Postby furgle » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:53 am UTC

Pfft Flash-lights, really. - I do this when buying...

Kitchen appliances:
But what if I had a party and wanted to make more than 1.2 litres of milkshake, I better get the big one; Better get the rotary toaster. That way there is no hold up when feeding 30 people toast;

Vacuum cleaners:
only 2000 watts - hmm I only really want to go over each bit of carpet once, and if a sandstorm blows through my room id feel better knowing I had the extra power. better get the 3000watt machine. And I'll need the little obtuse rectangle attachment for when the fridge falls over and I want to suck up the cobwebs behind the grill without bending over.

Bicycles:
This one has only 24 gears, the other has 27 gears, I'll probably use only 3 of the gear settings under normal conditions. But I'd prefer the 27 gears in case I go on a ride up a very slowly increasing incline for 20 or so kilometres.
furgle

Postby Ideas sleep furiously. » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:54 am UTC

This makes me want to buy a glow in the dark torch... You never know.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. - Friedrich Nietzsche
Ideas sleep furiously.

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:03 am UTC

I have a G-Shock watch which is rated to 200m that works just fine when I do my aquarobics, but only the Frogman of the series is specially designed for people who deep-dive regularly.

The only torch I am familiar with that is supposed to be waterproof is the old Eveready Dolphin.
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"
Plasma Mongoose

Postby ijuin » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:05 am UTC

furgle wrote:Vacuum cleaners:
only 2000 watts - hmm I only really want to go over each bit of carpet once, and if a sandstorm blows through my room id feel better knowing I had the extra power. better get the 3000watt machine. And I'll need the little obtuse rectangle attachment for when the fridge falls over and I want to suck up the cobwebs behind the grill without bending over.

You'll probably need to upgrade your house wiring too--3kW will strain the common 30 Ampere household circuit breaker (assuming you are on 100-120 volt power).
ijuin

Postby x-whiplash » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:23 am UTC

Better get the halcyon explorer http://www.extreme-exposure.com/product/lights/explorer

I remember reading that Sheck Exley used $40 casio watches that were guaranteed to 100m on all his dives. (down to roughly 300m dives)
x-whiplash

Postby Pi is exactly three » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:32 am UTC

Typo in the title text that the first poster (subconsciously?) fixed in the thread start: "Time to start shopping professional dive lights."

I sometimes suffer buyer's paralysis over features I'll probably never use. Just put off buying the Samsung Galaxy S II when I found out the initial UK release doesn't include the NFC chip. I don't know of any sales outlet that actually uses NFC.
"We are the weirdos, Mister!"
--Fairuza Balk, The Craft

I have travelled from 1955 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3
Pi is exactly three

Postby FOARP » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:47 am UTC

Wait a minute. If I'm escaping from a submarine at 50 meters, then I'll *definitely* need a flashlight to find air pockets for gradual decompression on the way up. Time to start shopping for professional dive lights.

Arghh, minor science mistakes annoy me. If you were escaping from a submarine (i.e., a sub-surface vessel which maintains approximate RTP aboard) at 50 metres, you would not need to decompress - in fact the best thing you could do to avoid the bends is head straight to the surface. Sticking around in air pockets could only lead to the inhalation of pressurised air which would lead to the absorption of inert gases into the blood-stream, which would then form bubbles if the ascent was too fast.
FOARP

Postby blueget » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:50 am UTC

About the "escaping from a submarine" part: Inside of a submarine, you have pretty the same air pressure as on the surface (which is also the reason for that they implode if going deeper than a specific depth). I don't think you would be able to escape without any specific gear (a Steinke Hood, a SEIE or Scuba Gear), but anyway you won't need decompression because of the short time you have inhaled pressurized air.
blueget

Postby rebmcr » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:17 am UTC

Surely all you need is a torch inside a pumpkin?
rebmcr

Extra pun: unintentional?

Postby glow-in-the-dark » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:54 am UTC

Am I the only one to notice that this story is in the form of a FLASHback? :mrgreen:
glow-in-the-dark

Postby jonas » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:22 am UTC

This so reminds me to 208: Regular Expressions. (Only this one is for material possessions.)
jonas

Postby seabear70 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:39 am UTC

I realize that I am just reinforcing what everyone else has said, but, no, you would not need a flashlight ot find air pockets to escape from a submarine.

However, after leaving the escape trunk, your lungs would be filled with air at roughly 80 psi due to the equalization to open the doors. You would not need to decompress becaus your tissues would have no real time to absorb any gas.

You would just head forthe surface while exhaling slowly. By the time you reached the surface, you would likely be out of breath, but you would survive.
seabear70

Postby Plasma Man » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:55 pm UTC

Also, there is a very important difference between water resistant and waterproof. So my bet is that neither of those torches would work underwater.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.
Plasma Man

Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Icalasari » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:08 pm UTC

rebmcr wrote:Surely all you need is a torch inside a pumpkin?

And a few reeds to create air pockets
Icalasari

Postby confuzedmuze » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:13 pm UTC

I have a flashlight with a warrantee that covers everything except "shark bite, bear attack, and children under five". This has had the dual effect of preventing me from using the flashlight when diving or hiking, as well as instilling a fear of parenthood deep within my soul. I have no desire to find out why toddlers rank with grizzly bears in their small electronic-destroying capacity. :shock:
confuzedmuze

Postby javahead » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:14 pm UTC

I can't believe Randall missed an opportunity to mention IPv6 day!

http://www.worldipv6day.org/
javahead

Postby Ezbez » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:16 pm UTC

If you appreciate this comic, you will appreciate Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, particularly part 6 "The Planning Fallacy." I truly recommend it.
Ezbez

Postby GreyingJay » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:47 pm UTC

I do the same thing, except with power tools.

I need a tool for some project I'm working on. The cheapest version of the tool is Harbor Freight or similar (in Canada, it's Jobmate brand from Canadian Tire). Dirt cheap, but you know it's going to break after more than a few uses. But that's OK, because I only need the tool for this one job.

But wait! What if I find more uses for the tool in the future? What if this "one job" turns out not to be a one-off? What if I decide I really enjoy using this tool? Better not get the cheap one. Then I'll feel bad knowing that the cheapy tool isn't doing as good a job as a better one. Then I'll regret not spending a couple more bucks. Better get the middle-of-the-road version from a real hardware store.

But, you know, if I'm spending that much money on a tool, if I really do like using it, I want one that's going to give the best results. And since we're no longer talking about the cheapy brand, if the thing's no good and I have to replace it with a better one anyway, now we're talking real money. Why risk spending money to replace the same tool again and again?

Better get the top-of-the-line, contractor grade, pro version! Do it right the first time!

... this explains why I have a garage full of DeWalt and Makita cordless and bench tools, mostly sitting around doing nothing.
GreyingJay

Postby funwithaph72 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:11 pm UTC

shoulda gotten this one! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/527051507/hexbright-an-open-source-light

A true nerd's flashlight - open source and fully programmable (in C/C++ !).
funwithaph72

Postby GeorgeTheWild » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:03 pm UTC

He shouldn't have worried about escaping from a submarine that's 50m below the surface. Without the ability to slowly equalize to the pressure almost 6 atm of pressure, everything in his body would instantly be squeezed. This would result in intense pain... espeically if the ear drums burst. From what my dive masters have told me, bursting an ear drum is the easiest way to drown while scuba diving because the pain is so intense. Also, at 50m, he has a good chance of experiencing nitrogen narcosis, which is the equivalent of being drunk... except you're under water and it's really dark. In all reality, trying to make an emergency swimming ascent from a submarine 50m deep is essentially suicide.
GeorgeTheWild

Postby vodka.cobra » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:49 pm UTC

He could always just pull a MacGyver and create a light source out of random shit. But I guess buying a more reliable flashlight is just as good.

Also, every Minecraft player sprite ever is MacGyver.
vodka.cobra

Postby skierscott » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:37 pm UTC

Alt-Text: Wait a minute. If I'm escaping from a submarine at 50 meters, then I'll *definitely* need a flashlight to find air pockets for gradual decompression on the way up. Time to start shopping professional dive lights.

These old submariners from the Tangescaped just fine from 55 meters during WWII, without the professional dive lights.

http://www.amazon.com/Escape-Deep-Legendary-Submarine-Courageous/dp/0306815192
skierscott

Postby furgle » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:10 pm UTC

ijuin wrote:
furgle wrote:Vacuum cleaners:

You'll probably need to upgrade your house wiring too--3kW will strain the common 30 Ampere household circuit breaker (assuming you are on 100-120 volt power).

Australian power is 240 volts, - as for the wattage, I actually have no idea, I was just making up numbers :)
furgle

Postby NotThatDork » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:33 pm UTC

javahead wrote:I can't believe Randall missed an opportunity to mention IPv6 day!

http://www.worldipv6day.org/

I thought the same this morning, and was about to post this exact message as soon I had the time to do it.

As said on another free forum (F1 Rejects, which happens to have many fans here): That's unacceptable: I demand my $ 0.00 back!
NotThatDork

Postby hagfish » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:41 am UTC

I *could* just get the thin, light, cool, quiet one that I actually want - but it doesn't have the Thunderbolt port -- that's gonna come in handy some day!
hagfish

Postby InquisitiveCrow » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:24 am UTC

When I shave in the morning, I try to do it symmetrically, that is, shave a little bit of the left side first, then the right, gradually working my way to the centre. I do this just in case a world-wide emergency takes place in the middle of my daily morning habits and forces me to go out as I am and do my best to save the world.
What goes on my mind is that I don't want the future generations in the post-apocalyptic world to remember me as "The Half-Beard Man".

Of course there's always the risk that history will then confuse me with Hitler. (yes, I know... Godwin's law...)
InquisitiveCrow

Next

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads