0284: "Tape Measure"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Silverbolt

Postby Silverbolt » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:38 am UTC

I TOTALLY do this all the time. My Tabletop comrade is an avid DnD and Warhammer 40k player and he has one of those for measuring distances when he plays 40k. And every time I go to his place I annoy him by having contests of this sort. With myself. 'tis fun. I like.
One day I will bring peace to the world with my invincible Army of Mice
Cheap Rip-Off Comics Inc.

Edna
Raptors: 4, Humans: 0

Postby Edna » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:49 am UTC

When I used to work at the chemical plant, the crap we made got cut into 10m lengths so we had super long, super tough tape measures.

On quiet night shifts these were put to this effect think about 10' was the record, as said earlier not quite vertical and very slowly is the way to go.

Alcari

Postby Alcari » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:33 am UTC

I've had these competitions during wh40k games as well, as a method of sorting how to interpret a rule.
I just tried it and my best is 8'9" at about 35 degrees
I'm made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

free manga and anime music

Mortomes

Postby Mortomes » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:34 am UTC

Extend 'er? I 'ardly know 'er!

DeadCatX2

Postby DeadCatX2 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:41 am UTC

I like measuring a long board and then letting go while it's hooked at the other end, and watching it slide off, and flip in the process.

Iluvatar

Postby Iluvatar » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:17 pm UTC

If you're going to do this competitively, I'd think the best way to do it would be to measure horizontal distance (as least, that's how I usually did it). That way, you have to find the perfect angle (hint: not 45 degrees). I mean, anyone can get a really long distance going nearly vertical, but it takes a great deal of skill to get just barely enough angle to keep from snapping.
"Don't you see?!"

"Get out of my bed, Randall, I'm trying to sleep!"

Your results may vary.

ehiunno

Postby ehiunno » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:21 pm UTC

man, if I had access to a scanner I would totally draw up a free body diagram of this system and post it.

me_lkjhgfdsa

Postby me_lkjhgfdsa » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:40 pm UTC

DeadCatX2 wrote:I like measuring a long board and then letting go while it's hooked at the other end, and watching it slide off, and flip in the process.

Or you could use it like the penguin in The Wrong Trousers and use it to scale large buildings. Who wants to bet the Spiderman is in fact just holding two white tape measures?
Brigadier Terence Hugh Clarke, CBE (17 February 1904 – 26 May 1992) was a British army officer and politician.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:00 pm UTC

I definitely think I've done this.

nweis wrote:I was kind of freaked out by this one. I was just talking to a kid about a week ago about submitting a world-record entry for the longest tape-measure extension. :shock:

EDIT: Is it just me, or are the competitors freaking huge?

It's just a very small stadium. The sport never really caught on, and the only spectators they can get a birds and squirelles.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Akula

Postby Akula » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:18 pm UTC

There's another theme in this too. How many people have at one time invented some sort of game or sport, just to kill time, and then imagined it eventually becoming a full fledged sport years down the line. The movie Baseketball illustrates the idea perfectly.

The one I most recently came up with involved a trampoline and a volleyball. Two players stand on opposite sides of the trampoline. You set up some boundaries on edge of the trampoline in front of each player (the creases in those protective tarps that cover the springs do quite nicely). Now, you take turns hurling the ball at eachother, and trying to catch it. You score 1 point if they drop the ball, and you get 2 points if you completely blow it by them. The catch is, you have to make the ball hit the surface of the trampoline, and you have to make it pass between those boundaries on the edges. The ball tends to skim off the surface, so you can't really bounce it high over a persons head, but you can put spin on the ball to make it change direction when it skips. Also, you can adjust the boundaries for difficulty - I've found that just a little more then the width of your armspan works well. You really do get some epic games.

I call it trampball, because that sounds funny. So, anyone want to form a league? :D

nightrock

Postby nightrock » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:35 pm UTC

I registered just to post this commercial I just saw. Professional extend equipment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26UqbIvueNk

dabigkid

Postby dabigkid » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:36 pm UTC

Every time I see a tape measure I do this, haha. It's just so tempting.
wut

Froodulous

Postby Froodulous » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:30 pm UTC

There must be some maths that can be done to work out the maximum length achievable on a tape measure. Introducing a constant to represent the ability of the tape to withstand forces without bending.

Invisible Queen

Postby Invisible Queen » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:48 pm UTC

shadebug wrote:Do you not find that that causes backlash which results in screaming like a little girl? I get that when I wrap the entire length of tape round itself and let go, though now that I think about it without my tape measure to hand, I can't imagine how it would work.

Yeah, you have to let go of the end at the right time, or the backlash can tear your fingers off. (We thought.)
"Everything a person can imagine is a concievable reality."

Tangent

Postby Tangent » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:57 pm UTC

Thank you for the most frankly homoerotic episode of xkcd yet! Joey Comeau would be proud of your subversion of the hetero-normative paradigm.

hdog

tape measure carbon dating

Postby hdog » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:27 pm UTC

For what it's worth, we did this when I worked construction back in the late 70s/early 80s. The guy who introduced me to it didn't invent it, I'm sure.

World record ought to be up around 12 or 15 feet with a steady hand.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:27 pm UTC

Tangent wrote:Thank you for the most frankly homoerotic episode of xkcd yet! Joey Comeau would be proud of your subversion of the hetero-normative paradigm.

::blink::

(POST 227!)
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

rjbell4

ITEF?

Postby rjbell4 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:37 pm UTC

"International Tape-Extending Federation"? You missed your chance to call it the IETF. :)

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:29 pm UTC

Two of the last three posters (not counting me) need to go post in the Introductions thread... OR PERISH. Can you guess which ones?
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

OCR

Postby OCR » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:35 pm UTC

When taking stimp readings for greens, I'd try to get the tape over the entire green. This usually resulted in the end of the tape measure making some sort of divot halfway across the green. Bonus points were awarded for making it past the green, into the sand trap.
"Well if you excuse me I'm going to go on an overnight drunk and in 10 days I'm going set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it."

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:07 pm UTC

Everyone else keeps a mini tape measure on their keychain, right?

Those of you who do know how often it comes in handy in an office/urban environment.

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

QuestionablyLegalManeuver

Postby QuestionablyLegalManeuver » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:21 pm UTC

Effing ay. I'm pretty sure everyone who reads this comic regularly (and most people who haven't) think something along these lines every time they find a tape measure. It's the nature of the beast. The device practically begs the user to see how far he can extend it without it cracking.

Awesome comic, Randall!
fn(int)2X,X,10,13

Quite possibly the world's first integral cliche.

rregall

Postby rregall » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:22 pm UTC

When I picture my mind, I see a monkey. The monkey is scratching his butt, and attempting to foresee the future in his own bellybutton lint.

When I think about what goes on inside Randall Munroes mind? I envision a cadre of super-intelligent monkeys putting on fucking Cirque du Soleil.

Thanks for the comics, Munroe. Thanks for the laughs and for giving us a peek into the three-ring circus you run up in that dome of yours.

Jadestone

Postby Jadestone » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:28 pm UTC

Psh, 8 feet. Anything bellow twelve should be considered under par, at least.
Kokopelli for President

"Life's a beach. Then you die." -Terry Prattchet

"We are all of us alone in this world."

SimonSwift

Postby SimonSwift » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:29 pm UTC

Well, there needs to be some rules set up for this, now doesn't there? You can't choose your angle. That's unfair, because (a) you might as well just go straight down and be touching the ground the whole way and (b) where can the hand be on the tape measure?

I say it's horizontal distance ONLY. You can have your hand on the measure for stability up to a certain point, and the rest of it is calculated not based on the tape measure (seeing as you could hold it anywhere), but rather on markings on the ground. Wherever the tape measure hits the ground, that is your total score.

I mean, come on. We have to get serious about this. :P

~Siswi

P.S. On a sidenote, while I have fun with the extending, I really prefer just tossing out all of the tape measure while having it hooked to something across the room, and then pressing the recoil button and letting go really quickly and watching both ends sail across the room and go "SHWWWOOOOOP!" Either that or you can play chicken with your friends where you hold onto the tape measure and then click the recoil and wait until the other end comes and slaps you in the hand.

Trust me. I have experience in this field.
P.S. I hate you.
P.P.S. Apologies for the verbosity.
--------------------
This delightful post brought to you by Simon Swift.
Simon Swift: The new not-Simon Swift.

sillybear25
civilized syllabub
Location: Look at me, I'm putting a meta-joke in the Location field.

Postby sillybear25 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:12 pm UTC

SimonSwift wrote:Well, there needs to be some rules set up for this, now doesn't there? You can't choose your angle. That's unfair, because (a) you might as well just go straight down and be touching the ground the whole way and (b) where can the hand be on the tape measure?

while we're coming up with rules, how about standardizing the tape measure, too? so many of the above posters have said things to the effect of "I didn't get that far because my tape measure is this tiny little thing..."

It's like putting a shrimpy high schooler against a sumo wrestler. You know which one will win...
This space intentionally left blank.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:23 pm UTC

I'm not alone!?! *sob*

stormgren

Postby stormgren » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:17 pm UTC

Tangent wrote:Thank you for the most frankly homoerotic episode of xkcd yet! Joey Comeau would be proud of your subversion of the hetero-normative paradigm.

No, I would say this is the most homoerotic xkcd.
http://xkcd.com/c65.html

Aoeniac

Postby Aoeniac » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:20 pm UTC

Mr. Munroe has a talent for making comics about things that we can all relate to on some level but are obscure or witty enough to make them entertaining.
Class: 12th level Epiphenomenalist Alignment: Rational

justbecause

Postby justbecause » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:28 pm UTC

Point of clarity (you know, before the Big Extension Competition in Spetember) :
When people are saying 'vertical,' do they mean the tape measure is measuring height? Or is it what I first assumed, that the tape is still close(-ish) to horiontal, but turned on it's side... so the competetior would see the tape as this --> ) instead of a U shape?

(Darn my crappy spatial skillz and lack of pictures!)

KicktheCAN
v "This used to be my penis!"

Postby KicktheCAN » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:32 pm UTC

I feel compelled to do this whenever I pick up a tape measure. I don't know why, it just calls to me. I have one in the office right now... and there I go again! *extend* *extend*

missingglassmarbles

Postby missingglassmarbles » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:50 pm UTC

Ah, Tape measures. Who doesn't try to extend them without cracking when they find one?

Awesome comic Randall.

I can't wait for Tape Measure Extending to be televised.

Syphon

Postby Syphon » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:25 am UTC

I just tried this at about 160 degress, 10'10"

warhorse

Postby warhorse » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:07 am UTC

Akula wrote:The one I most recently came up with involved a trampoline and a volleyball.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bossaball
It's OK to be social, just don't tell anyone about it.

Mxermadman

Postby Mxermadman » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:13 am UTC

justbecause wrote:When people are saying 'vertical,' do they mean the tape measure is measuring height?

I assume that this is what they mean. (It's what I meant.)

LordRetard

Postby LordRetard » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:20 am UTC

nweis wrote:Is it just me, or are the competitors freaking huge?

Tape-measure competitions have been controversial due to the high number of competitors using anabolic steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs. Not that controversial, though, 'cause it doesn't actually enhance performance, really.

I can't believe that I've actually tried doing this before... A lot.[/i]

lukkucairi

Postby lukkucairi » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:56 am UTC

is it cheating if you try to set the record in India so you can take advantage of the low gravity there?

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:39 am UTC

Invisible Queen wrote:
shadebug wrote:Do you not find that that causes backlash which results in screaming like a little girl? I get that when I wrap the entire length of tape round itself and let go, though now that I think about it without my tape measure to hand, I can't imagine how it would work.

Yeah, you have to let go of the end at the right time, or the backlash can tear your fingers off. (We thought.)

Pretty much, one of the guys I know was marking tables* for a 40k tournment and he let the tape snap back and it near sliced his finger off.

*each table is 12 feet long, divided into the three sections with masking tape.
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Phasic

Postby Phasic » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:50 am UTC

RealGrouchy wrote:Everyone else keeps a mini tape measure on their keychain, right?

Yup, I have one in my handbag. Along with a pentorch and a D30.

Just in case.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not reason themselves into.

Cctoide

Postby Cctoide » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:31 am UTC

How long before we get tape-measure enlargement spam?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”