0913: "Core"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BrianB

Re: 0913: "Core"

Postby BrianB » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:33 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:So, the Earth's core freaks Randall out. And the joke is...?

You. You're the joke.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:36 pm UTC

I am an xkcd joke? Now I am insulted.

boblehest

Postby boblehest » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:44 pm UTC

... he read it on Wikipedia. Yes, yes, I know, but I'm not sinking that low.

I think the joke is using imperial units in the 21st century.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:45 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:I am an xkcd joke? Now I am insulted.
We're sorry you feel that way. We can talk it over and work it out if you'd like. If you feel our differences are irreconcilable, the door is over there. We will not fault you. It's been a good run in our relationship, but all good things do pass eventually. Perhaps it's now time that we part ways. Perhaps not. We're willing to work with you to save this relationship because it does mean that much to us, but we will not stand in your way if you want out.

We know this is a stressful time, and this is an odd point of our lives, but we do want things to be better. We're willing... are you?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

hewhocaves

Postby hewhocaves » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:53 pm UTC

I'm a karst geologist. That only works if I have carbonate rock beneath me. :)

Re: the "dirt people". My initial response to Dr. Cooper was that "Science must be easy when you can directly observe your experiments (and don't have a mile or rock in the way)." BAZINGA!

John

Aelfyre

Postby Aelfyre » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:47 pm UTC

Faranya wrote:
astronelson wrote:
Millumi wrote:Same thing for astrologists, except they point up.

Surely you mean astronomers, astrophysicists, and cosmologists?

Yeah, astrologists really have nowhere to point...

Sure they do.. they can point at their own heads provided they make little circular motions with their finger. :)
Xanthir wrote:To be fair, even perfectly friendly antimatter wildebeests are pretty deadly.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

astronelson wrote:
Millumi wrote:Same thing for astrologists, except they point up.

Surely you mean astronomers, astrophysicists, and cosmologists?

I almost did my thesis on cosmology just to be able to say "I'm master of the universe". Now instead I will be a master on .. ehm... simulated interactions between invisible idealized particles (computational physics). Doesn't sound nearly as impressive.

Ah well, still a theoretical physicists. Whenever people ask me to do the dishes, or other chores, I can still say "I can't do that, I'm a theorist. But do you want me to explain the optimal approach?".
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

A_of_s_t

Postby A_of_s_t » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:53 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:I almost did my thesis on cosmology just to be able to say "I'm master of the universe". Now instead I will be a master on .. ehm... simulated interactions between invisible idealized particles (computational physics). Doesn't sound nearly as impressive.

When you say it that way, it won't sound impressive. You need to say it with such vigor that men will shudder and women will immediately desire to have your children. This is how you should have said it:

"I study computational physics. Oh, you know, simulated interactions between invisible idealized particles. Pretty easy stuff, most days I just sleep though class. How about you?"
Check out my web interzones powered by Web 3.0 technology running on Mozzarella Foxfire:
Spoiler:

septic_tank

Postby septic_tank » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:55 pm UTC

Nonsensism. It's a self-satire of his absurdly irrational fear that the super-hot core of the Earth is somehow immediately dangerous to his person (when it's not). Especially so when considering the composition of the planet's core is a vital part in sustaining life (hint of irony). The humor is supposed to be in the sheer absurdity, but I think it fell short by not taking advantage of the third panel. Nonsensism in drawn / cartoon / webcomic form is generally accompanied by an equally absurd visual component, and I think that raising his feet from the ground is really understating the punchline. Maybe if he was clutching to a ceiling fan or chandelier, quivering, that would have been a little more effective. The third panel doesn't look like he's "freaking out" at all.

A_of_s_t

Postby A_of_s_t » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:00 pm UTC

septic_tank wrote: Maybe if he was clutching to a ceiling fan or chandelier, quivering, that would have been a little more effective.

Do you know how hard it is to draw a ceiling fan or a chandelier?
Check out my web interzones powered by Web 3.0 technology running on Mozzarella Foxfire:
Spoiler:

Idhan

Postby Idhan » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:19 pm UTC

Personally, I'm more scared of the vacuum of space right above me.

I'm reminded of an Arthur C. Clarke story I read a while back. It was about a scientist who basically uses sonar to uncover the structure of the Earth, and finds that there is evidence of intelligent life deep underground at massive pressures. Then the underground people likewise discover that there's life in the wispy, almost vacuum-like void above them (i.e., us). They come up to explore. In the process, they (accidentally, and to their mild regret) destroy the entire biosphere at our density-level. Argh... I'm looking for that story. I can't remember it. Maybe it wasn't Clarke?

kamrom

Postby kamrom » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:29 pm UTC

I have a panic disorder. Its no big deal really, a few uneasy days now and then. Whats interesting is the irrational things it latches on to.

For about five hours i was literally terrified of the sun. Do you know how HOT that thing is? And how far away? And how hot it is DESPITE being so far away?! Its a freaking monster, a constant fusion machine that will laugh as it continues to rise while we all die. The Sun is evil and possibly a jerk. And then itll even eat our planet? Thats not very nice of it. Did I mention it can burn despite being 150 million kilometers away? I wouldnt go outside!

Still, it was better than when i realised nothing makes sense and became terrified that further examination of the idea would cause me to annihilate my own awareness. Whether or not this happend I am still unsure (How would I know?) But never the less, I am much happier fighting windmills than ghosts.

Also crazy.

hujackus

Postby hujackus » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:24 pm UTC

This comic brings to mind a new question of mine (an old question for others):

At what depth and latitude is the gravitational force the strongest?

Facts to consider: It's not the surface, it's NOT the center, the density of the earth changes (uniformly in stages), and the earth spins (include adjustments for centripetal forces).

*This gets us close, but it assumes perfect sphere, and not spinning. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_of_Earth#Depth

WildBidoof

Postby WildBidoof » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:11 pm UTC

I often freak out looking up. especially if i stare at the sky for too long while laying on the grass

fuzzycuzzy

Postby fuzzycuzzy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:57 pm UTC

Hello, I'm a music major, and I study that (pointing to your soul)

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:16 pm UTC

Time for a game of Lava.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Black Daemon

Postby Black Daemon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:53 pm UTC

BrianB wrote:

You. You're the joke.

Hahahaha that's pretty funny

legopelle

Postby legopelle » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:03 pm UTC

JeffKochosky wrote:This comic reminded me of a bar back in college (Penn State University - State College, PA).
The bar was named "Zeno's", and their tagline was:

"Zeno's - located directly over the center of the earth!"

Good place. You could drink your way around the world in 80 beers there... they even gave you a passport for it.

I'm so stealing this. If you protest, speak now or be forever silent. What's that? No objections? Ahoy, Edit Profile!
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?

americablanco

Postby americablanco » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:24 pm UTC

So what is the minimum number of degrees one must look below the horizon to be "looking at" the core?

Assume inner core
Assume Earth and core are perfect, non-fluctuating spheres
Disregarding elevation
Ignore own height
Ignore refraction of any solids

---Now do the same calculations for every point on Earth's surface without those assumptions!

Fixblor

Postby Fixblor » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:44 pm UTC

2ndTalon wrote:We're sorry you feel that way. We can talk it over and work it out if you'd like. If you feel our differences are irreconcilable, the door is over there. We will not fault you. It's been a good run in our relationship, but all good things do pass eventually. Perhaps it's now time that we part ways. Perhaps not. We're willing to work with you to save this relationship because it does mean that much to us, but we will not stand in your way if you want out.

We know this is a stressful time, and this is an odd point of our lives, but we do want things to be better. We're willing... are you?

Are you always a douche or do you just play one online? You realize you're now a proponent of this viscous cycle, of course you do, let us continue unabated then. *ahem* If a person is willing (or says they're willing) to repeatedly visit a site they compare to the vulgar state of affairs that is modern fan fiction, and comment on how they really feel about it in the form of a lot of "yuck" and "awful", then don't you think that they actually enjoy "yuck" and "awful" on some level? Or at least they enjoy the snipe.

Well, OK, at this point it's more accurately compared to buffalo hunting by train. Next stop, Truckee Lake. It's been a pleasure doing business with you, 2nd Magistrate Sir.

Idhan wrote:Personally, I'm more scared of the vacuum of space right above me.

I concur.
Last edited by Count Modulus on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:5l am UTC, edited 13 times in total.
06:23, 18 April 2011 SmackBot (talk | contribs) m (90,899 bytes) (Dated {{Dubious}} x 153. (Build p609)) (undo)

Fixblor

Postby Fixblor » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:10 pm UTC

"The Sordid Legend of how Second Magistrate Talon came to be Known as Sexy"
XKCD Forums fan fic by fixblor.

Part 1 - "The Arrival at Truckee Lake"

Poor bastard, never stood a chance. It was Wednesday and the coals were hot. Too hot, some may say. The fires burned voluminously with a glow that could warm a sinners heart, even given the way things were.
They weren't going well. A blizzard had just moved in from the other side of the mountains, and the valley was filling in fast. The leaders had decided that there was absolutely no chance of making it through the pass now, so they decided to settle in for the rest of the winter. It was cold, and it was going to get colder.
Just then there was a knock at the door. Looks darted about the room. Elder Pa gestured at one of the Youngens to answer. When the door opened there stood an overdressed official in purple furs and gold flecks adorning his full personage. With a pointless stare he eyed around the room as if to say "I'm the boss", but that didn't change the attitude in the cabin one bit. The residents just gazed blankly at the robust figure shaking before them now.
He was cold, you see. And looked now to the fire for warmth, since the room gave him none. No one spoke. Which was eerie. And yet the stranger at the door felt compelled to enter, for the door was open and the fire was warm.
(next time, "Things git shady")
Last edited by Fixblor on Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Count Modulus on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:5l am UTC, edited 13 times in total.
06:23, 18 April 2011 SmackBot (talk | contribs) m (90,899 bytes) (Dated {{Dubious}} x 153. (Build p609)) (undo)

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:11 pm UTC

Idhan wrote:Personally, I'm more scared of the vacuum of space right above me.

When I really think about it, which is thankfully not that often, what freaks me out is that we are all living on a thin crust of congealed rock floating on a roiling hot sea of liquid magma powered by megatons of slowly ongoing nuclear fission reactions (and that said sea is gradually churning our thin crust of rock back into itself); and that said crust is blanketed only by a thin wisp of mostly-inert gas shielding us from the freezing vacuum of space that would otherwise envelope this crusty ball of magma (or this cold dead rock were it not for the aforementioned nuclear fission); and that said crust of rock and blanket of gas, and the giant ball of nuclear-powered magma they rest upon, are really just a tiny, tiny, microscopic spec of dust compared to other things out there; and that that spec of dust is only anything near a comfortable temperature because it happens to be very fortunately balanced at exactly the right distance between a gigantic thermonuclear fire and the vast, endless, empty, inky black depths that constitute most of the universe.

My only solace is to remember that there is very, very little out there in the inky black depths with much chance at all of mucking with our tiny speck of dust in its precariously balanced position, and that those things that do have a good chance of doing so, like the huge thermonuclear fire next door that will eventually burn us to a crisp, will do so very very slowly over very long periods of time, so I won't have to be around to deal with it when it happens.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

bigjeff5

Postby bigjeff5 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:57 pm UTC

Fixblor wrote:*ahem* If a person is willing (or says they're willing) to repeatedly visit a site they compare to the vulgar state of affairs that is modern fan fiction, and comment on how they really feel about it in the form of a lot of "yuck" and "awful", then don't you think that they actually enjoy "yuck" and "awful" on some level? Or at least they enjoy the snipe.

I agree with you - it's perplexing but there is obviously a derived pleasure there. Another possibility is that he actually still likes the comic, but has been convinced that it is stupid and that he shouldn't. I could see this leading to the bizarre behavior of following the comic so religiously, yet looking for every opportunity to denigrate it. Nothing to base this on other than intuition and what he said in another thread about the fact that he used to love the comic until some people told him it sucked.

And to be fair to 2ndTalon, I don't think a proper douche-bag would think to use condescension to hurl thinly veiled insults as he did. It's more like what you get when a passive-aggressive individual is fed up with a douche-bag. It's not the funniest insult in the world, but it's still kinda funny. Worth a chuckle, anyway.

Fixblor

Postby Fixblor » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:06 am UTC

bigjeff5 wrote:And to be fair to 2ndTalon, I don't think a proper douche-bag would think to use condescension to hurl thinly veiled insults as he did. It's more like what you get when a passive-aggressive individual is fed up with a douche-bag. It's not the funniest insult in the world, but it's still kinda funny. Worth a chuckle, anyway.

It's weak, hackneyed, and it's straight out of Sarcastic Douchebag's® Handbook for Forum Moderators. It's worth a laugh for noobs who still call everyone a noob. Noob.

... nope, it's still trite tripe. Never mind that SM was being ironic his post that spawned 2nd Magistrate Talon's sardonic blathering. Can hackneyed sarcasm founded on an ignorant misinterpretation still be funny? Though I really think it was just opportunistic misrepresentation through honestly indignant pomposity.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:30 am UTC

Fixblor wrote:
bigjeff5 wrote:And to be fair to 2ndTalon, I don't think a proper douche-bag would think to use condescension to hurl thinly veiled insults as he did. It's more like what you get when a passive-aggressive individual is fed up with a douche-bag. It's not the funniest insult in the world, but it's still kinda funny. Worth a chuckle, anyway.

It's weak, hackneyed, and it's straight out of Sarcastic Douchebag's® Handbook for Forum Moderators. It's worth a laugh for noobs who still call everyone a noob. Noob.

... nope, it's still trite tripe. Never mind that SM was being ironic his post that spawned 2nd Magistrate Talon's sardonic blathering. Can hackneyed sarcasm founded on an ignorant misinterpretation still be funny? Though I really think it was just opportunistic misrepresentation through honestly indignant pomposity.

... and people cared.

Fixblor

Postby Fixblor » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:28 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:... and people cared.

oh wait, you mean me? gotcha.

Schadenfreude
Location: "I'm loyal to nothing, general...except the dream."

Postby Schadenfreude » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:37 am UTC

A_of_s_t wrote:
septic_tank wrote: Maybe if he was clutching to a ceiling fan or chandelier, quivering, that would have been a little more effective.

Do you know how hard it is to draw a ceiling fan or a chandelier?

boo hoo.

Scott McCloud wrote:No Matter what style of image you choose, your pictures' first and most important job is to communicate quickly, clearly, and compellingly with the reader.

Poor art is stylistic and is therefore forgivable.

Poor layout and choice of image just sucks.
"Shake my hand. Come on, boys, won't you shake a poor sinner's hand?"

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:51 am UTC

scarletmanuka wrote:
iChef wrote:After reading the title I was hoping the comic would be about that documentary they made a few years back where scientists traveled to the core of the Earth.

Something like this one, you mean?

"The sun's fusion is failing!" "Does that make sense?" "Whatever."
Has got to be one of my favorite quotes ever.

Fixblor wrote:Can hackneyed sarcasm founded on an ignorant misinterpretation still be funny? Though I really think it was just opportunistic misrepresentation through honestly indignant pomposity.

I like big words too.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:14 am UTC

http://www.starwrecked.com/Star-Trek-ac ... decker.htm

someday i'll get netflix and spend a weekend having a wil wheaton's bad old movies marathon.
if you already have netflix, i recommend this.

alexriehl

Postby alexriehl » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:16 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
Fixblor wrote:

... and people cared.

Yup, they did. Troll accomplished.
AMA about suitcases
Spoiler:

feyayeruka

Postby feyayeruka » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:31 am UTC

this doesn't work for me, coz when I look down and point, it would appear that I'm studying YOUR MOM!

somebody already took it

Postby somebody already took it » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:25 am UTC

This comic was the beginning of a fantastic voyage for me. I started thinking about this giant molten ball of metal and wondered if any one had dug any of it up. Well no, the deepest hole ever dug, my initial google query, turned out to be the kola superdeep borehole which is a mere 12 kilometers deep. Thats not even a tenth of a percent of the radius of the earth! And I found out there are other deep boreholes, like the deepwater horizon dug one before it sunk following the infamous blowout (that ignited a fireball visable from 35 miles away). And there are cool things you can do with the boreholes, like fill them with nuclear waste cased in cement, There is also another category on Wikipedia for the deepest hole a person can fit inside which turns out to be a goldmine a bunch of people died in that is being dug by an evil Anglo American company in South Africa. This is a hole that takes an hour to reach the bottom of riding on a lift that goes 58 km/h. That's a long commute, I wonder if the miners sleep down there.
So how do you dig a superdeep borehole? Diamonds make good drillbits because they are not as hard as aggregated diamond nanorods which are pretty much the hardest thing out there. Hardness can measured by the Mohs scale of hardness which as far as I understand it is a comparative test based on seeing which object comes out unscathed if you bash them together. Do black holes or neutron stars count? If so I think they would be the hardest objects then.
I don't know what kind of drillbit they used for the kola superdeep borehole, but the Wikipedia article says they had to stop drilling because things were hotter than they expected and their drillbit would break if the heat reached 300 celcius. Before that happened they broke their drill string because they took a year off to party when they reached 10 km and so they had to go back to 7km. But their intentions were pure because they were just drilling to see how deep they could go and not for oil or gold. They made interesting discoveries along the way, like unexpected hydrogen deposits made mud-bubbles above where they drilled. There are actually longer boreholes but they aren't as far below sea level.
In the future we may reach new depths with electric plasma drills.

Fixblor

Postby Fixblor » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:57 am UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:
Fixblor wrote:Can hackneyed sarcasm founded on an ignorant misinterpretation still be funny? Though I really think it was just opportunistic misrepresentation through honestly indignant pomposity.

I like big words too.

Here's another version then:
"Can derivative ironic cynicism based upon the lack of key unobserved subtleties evoke a spontaneous expression of amusement? Aside from that, my true understanding is that the response in question sparked from a momentary catalyst of advantageous chance involving the egregious skewing of an already purposefully inexact statement by means of blatantly irritated conceit."
Likewise, the Plain Writing Act of 2010 contributes adversely to my overtly morose disposition. :(
:(

Bounsy

Postby Bounsy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:50 pm UTC

The Moomin wrote:The important part which hasn't been specified, is whether he is reading about the earth's core on wikipedia or not.

Agreed. He appears to have his laptop open and ready. However, he is not using it! He is reading a book or magazine! I'm guessing Popular Science, National Geographic, or something like that. I wonder which issue.

Bounsy

Postby Bounsy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:52 pm UTC

septic_tank wrote:Especially so when considering the composition of the planet's core is a vital part in sustaining life (hint of irony).

And the award for best unintentional pun goes to...

philip1201

Postby philip1201 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:59 pm UTC

My hobby:
When talking about other continents and countries, pointing to their actual location and saying "over there". (i.e. once on vacation I went there *pointing due east, 70 degrees below horizon*)
PS: Pfhorrest, I've got a busy week coming up so I don't know if I can write a comment before next week.

Dorp

Postby Dorp » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:54 pm UTC

Sometimes I get freaked out when we get ore samples in at the mine lab just by thinking about how long it took to make this stuff, and all the reactions that had to happen to create all these lead and zinc and silver deposits which probably have never even seen the light of the sun until today... and I'm just going to crush them up and light them on fire. Also I have nowhere to point when describing my job so I just tell people my job is to find out how much money rocks are worth. That or "I light rocks on fire" because no matter what metal you're assaying for it's going to involve incineration at some point. Metallurgy, it's fun stuff!

Hughes

Postby Hughes » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:08 pm UTC

fuzzycuzzy wrote:Hello, I'm a music major, and I study that (pointing to your soul)

Yes. Yay. Music majors unite!

Farabor

Postby Farabor » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:38 pm UTC

Hughes wrote:
fuzzycuzzy wrote:Hello, I'm a music major, and I study that (pointing to your soul)

Yes. Yay. Music majors unite!

You xkcd-reading music majors had BETTER have read Godel, Escher, Bach!

(Although, in reality, every XKCD reader should read GEB)

((Strike that, everyone should read GEB)).

Ravyng

Postby Ravyng » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:17 pm UTC

I find it freakish enough to consider that the Earth's crust, which is all that separates us from the molten lava underneath, is less than 1/10th the thickness of an eggshell, comparatively.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”