0914: "Ice"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

kasmeneo

Re: 0914: "Ice"

Postby kasmeneo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:45 am UTC

addams wrote:Strange, that. I think that taking his ice and leaving him with a tub of kidneys is funny. The AIDS thing. Not so much.

To me, it's just the other way round. With current medications, HIV/AIDS is quite controllable and no longer means a significantly decreased lifespan.
The lack of transplant organs and the whole black market around that is still a serious issue.

But maybe I'm biased, having a wife with a hereditary kidney disease.
It's cooler up here.

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:09 am UTC

kasmeneo wrote:The lack of transplant organs and the whole black market around that is still a serious issue.

It's okay. Stick figure kidneys aren't compatible with human kidneys.
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

gothick

Postby gothick » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:10 am UTC

mykro76 wrote:It's a mixture of two "morning after" urban legends - the kidney/bath/ice one and the one-night-stand/"welcome to aids club" one.

Ah. That would be why I had to come here to find out what was going on -- I've never heard either of those. Oh well.

M

Xlythe

Postby Xlythe » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:07 pm UTC

Solves the case the the mysterious benefactor I suppose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_5nLxZVoPo

And now I'm just realizing I can't post links xD

iain_benson

Postby iain_benson » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:18 pm UTC

My take on the AAA, from putting together all the above posts, is that in a similar vein to taking his ice and leaving kidneys rather than vice-versa, she also signed him up to the Automobile Association of America instead of giving him AIDS.

I didn't get any of it originally as I've not heard of either 'prank', and also couldn't tell what he was sitting on my iPhone screen.

alanzo

Postby alanzo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:57 pm UTC

Last edited by alanzo on Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Moose Hole

Postby Moose Hole » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:27 pm UTC

GOOMHR, I was drugged by a prostitute last weekend!

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:40 pm UTC

Moose Hole wrote:GOOMHR, I was drugged by a prostitute last weekend!

Continue...
Or if you don't want to talk about it, that's fine, but that does sound like an interesting story.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

WolfieMario

Postby WolfieMario » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:05 pm UTC

I actually literally lol'd at this :lol:

It seems like something the BHG or his girlfriend may do, honestly...
"Sometimes game development isn't about doing what is nice to everyone all the time." - Jens Bergensten

Loopbot75

Postby Loopbot75 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:57 pm UTC

For anyone who was as slow as I was the alt text is a reference to a Urban Legend separate from the kidney...thing where a guy wakes up from a one-night stand with the hooker gone and a message written on the mirror saying "welcome to the AIDS club". The joke is that he has a message saying welcome to the AAA (pronounced "As" as in multiple iterations of the letter A) club. Basically it's another pun.

Moose Hole

Postby Moose Hole » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:08 pm UTC

BurningLed wrote:
Moose Hole wrote:GOOMHR, I was drugged by a prostitute last weekend!

Continue...
Or if you don't want to talk about it, that's fine, but that does sound like an interesting story.
Well I was at the airport and this prostitute came up to me and asked if I wanted some drugs. I said, "Sure, why not?" We headed for the bathroom and she made me drop my pants. She put the drugs in my butt crack and said I should feel some euphoria. I kind of felt some euphoria at that point. Then I headed for customs and got felt up a little more. At the other airport, some guy said he had to look in my butt in the bathroom. I thought it was weird but went along with it. Long story short, I think I got laid twice in one weekend.

faunablues

Postby faunablues » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:38 pm UTC

Those kidneys look... interesting. The tube-things should be coming out of the hilus, not the top. The arrangement made me think that they were maybe hearts, but I figure kidneys work better for the joke, sooooo... yeah.

A_of_s_t

Postby A_of_s_t » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:45 pm UTC

siecraticmethod wrote:
Boingloing wrote:I thought it was bloody ice. did he get his organs harvested or something?
No, no, instead of stealing his kidneys and leaving him in a bathtub full of ice, she stole his ice and left him in a bathtub full of kidneys.

This comic soooo much more sense after reading this.
Check out my web interzones powered by Web 3.0 technology running on Mozzarella Foxfire:
Spoiler:

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:59 pm UTC

LOL WTF Randall!
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

BrianB

Postby BrianB » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:17 pm UTC

Apparently this comic is so awesome that even Sir Mustapha can't find anything bad to say about it.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:45 pm UTC

Thoughts, in order I thought them:

1. Is that supposed to be sausage? Like it was a sausage fest?
2. Wait, they took out his kidneys. Wait, he could only have ... wait... that's a lot of kidneys.
3. Ok, the ice is missing, but he ended up with kidneys.
4. How would you surgically remove a kidney from a stick figure?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:53 pm UTC

BrianB wrote:Apparently this comic is so awesome that even [...] can't find anything bad to say about it.

Shhhh! Nothing attracts a troll more than mentioning it by name. It's like saying "Candlejack", you're just asking for

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

10nitro

Postby 10nitro » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:16 pm UTC

tuxedobob wrote:
10nitro wrote:Also, teelo, NOT COOL. Posting "herp, derp, what's the template again" just to have the first post. (He didn't say "herp, derp" or use those words exactly, but it was a once-sentence placeholder that was to that affect) Seriously, when I click on the thread, I expect to see a discussion, or a comment that starts one. Not some stupid shit you came up with just so you could be F1RST. When you did come up with a comment for the post, it's some stupid shit that in no way will contribute to the value of this thread. If you don't have something worthwhile to post, then DON'T make the first post!

So you're basically upset someone besides you got the first post?

Remind me again why it matters who starts the thread?

Not so much that I didn't, but that teelo did. It doesn't matter who makes the first post, but teelo seems to think it does. I'm upset that he made a bullshit post just to start the thread, and didn't actually have anything to say. He shouldn't have posted.

I also just kind of wanted to post an angry rant.
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
IT technician, GNU/Linux admin, comp. security guy
Eagle Scout
http://lukeshu.ath.cx

Baslim the Beggar

Postby Baslim the Beggar » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:29 pm UTC

When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.
When life hands you kidneys, make kidney pie.

Zakator

Postby Zakator » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:48 pm UTC

I thought it was some kind of meat thingie. Then I read the alt-text. Then I WTFed.

Then I come here to have any idea at all what that was all about.

And now I know. Thanks forum threads, forever the enlightener of completely incomprehensible XKCD strips.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:02 pm UTC

BrianB wrote:Apparently this comic is so awesome that even Sir Mustapha can't find anything bad to say about it.

Actually, I'm just enjoying the confusion that Randall caused among his own fans with such poor art and incomprehensibly dumb and pointless joke -- EDIT: and the don't-make-any-fucking-sense alt-text. I don't even need to say anything.

Maxpm

Postby Maxpm » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:22 pm UTC

He looked so happy in the first panel... :(

That reminds me: I can make nachos!

Komodo

Postby Komodo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:37 pm UTC

Okay, it took me a moment to realize they were kidneys, but I laughed.

Also, some of you are way overthinking the title text. What was he screaming in the last panel? That's why she welcomed him to the AAA club.

Fire Tock

Postby Fire Tock » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:41 pm UTC

Ok, can we just agree this comic had potential and the concept is great, but it was just very poorly made due to all of the confusion?

bigjeff5

Postby bigjeff5 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:37 pm UTC

No, because it was a well executed bait-and-switch joke. The target audience was simply not people under about 35 or so, that's all.

I'm still kind of surprised at how few people caught the stolen kidney reference. I mean, "Charlie the Unicorn" is the same thing except with a missing spleen, and that's a youtube sensation (if you've never heard of it, I'm shocked, and you must go watch it now). The AAA joke was a little more obscure - it was another bait-and-switch of the "AIDS Marry" phenomenon, which popped up in the 80's.

teelo

Postby teelo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:29 am UTC

When was the last time Randall drew a "MY HOBBY" comic?

feyayeruka

Postby feyayeruka » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:00 am UTC

I so thought this was going in the direction of white beret guy coming back with crystal meth.

Economica

Postby Economica » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:26 am UTC

How does one procure a bathtub full of kidneys? And who does that?
Travel well, we'll see you on the other side.

Lorenz

Postby Lorenz » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:07 am UTC

Economica wrote:How does one procure a bathtub full of kidneys? And who does that?

As to the How I have no answer, but the who certainly sounds like black hat guy.

Schadenfreude
Location: "I'm loyal to nothing, general...except the dream."

Postby Schadenfreude » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:07 am UTC

Fire Tock wrote:Ok, can we just agree this comic had potential and the concept is great, but it was just very poorly made due to all of the confusion?

The joke itself was pretty good, at least in theory. In practice, it relies far too much on referential humor to (somewhat) obscure urban legends. The fact that the jokes were distortions of said legends definitely made it even harder to figure out what it was supposed to mean.

So I seriously doubt many people found it funny until the joke got explained, or did enough research to have effectively explained it to themselves. And everyone knows what happens when you explain jokes....
"Shake my hand. Come on, boys, won't you shake a poor sinner's hand?"

kg333

Postby kg333 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:35 am UTC

Loopbot75 wrote:For anyone who was as slow as I was the alt text is a reference to a Urban Legend separate from the kidney...thing where a guy wakes up from a one-night stand with the hooker gone and a message written on the mirror saying "welcome to the AIDS club". The joke is that he has a message saying welcome to the AAA (pronounced "As" as in multiple iterations of the letter A) club. Basically it's another pun.

I think you're on the right track with the AAA bit, which hasn't fit in to anything else so far. I've never heard it pronounced "As" though, it's always "triple-A"...I think this pun is fail.

KG

AMZ

Postby AMZ » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:23 am UTC

My thought is that the AAA reference is primarily that the AAA provides roadside "aid" (thus creating the modification of the second urban legend, of which I think I was unaware) with the (probably intended) added benefit of also being what he says upon discovering his missing ice.

Joepat

Postby Joepat » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:05 am UTC

At first, I thought "Ground beef? What?" After a quick visit to explainxkcd.com, I went "Oh. HAHAHA!"
Δgirls*Δscience≥h/4π

"P. S. Please if you get a chanse put some flown on Algernons grave in the bak yard."

Icalasari wrote:I don't care how ugly it may look. It instantly becomes cute if it tries giving you a hug

lly

Postby lly » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:45 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
BrianB wrote:Apparently this comic is so awesome that even Sir Mustapha can't find anything bad to say about it.

Actually, I'm just enjoying the confusion that Randall caused among his own fans with such poor art and incomprehensibly dumb and pointless joke -- EDIT: and the don't-make-any-fucking-sense alt-text. I don't even need to say anything.

At least it isn't a wikipedia reference?

rpgamer

Postby rpgamer » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:04 am UTC

bigjeff5 wrote:No, because it was a well executed bait-and-switch joke. The target audience was simply not people under about 35 or so, that's all.

I'm still kind of surprised at how few people caught the stolen kidney reference. I mean, "Charlie the Unicorn" is the same thing except with a missing spleen, and that's a youtube sensation (if you've never heard of it, I'm shocked, and you must go watch it now). The AAA joke was a little more obscure - it was another bait-and-switch of the "AIDS Marry" phenomenon, which popped up in the 80's.

Bah, 25, maybe. But also include region. Those outside of the US seem to be the most confused by it all. I thought it was all pretty clear, myself.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:30 am UTC

teelo wrote:When was the last time Randall drew a "MY HOBBY" comic?

#845 - Modern History.

What does rhetorical mean?
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:07 pm UTC

Lorenz wrote:
Economica wrote:How does one procure a bathtub full of kidneys? And who does that?

As to the How I have no answer, but the who certainly sounds like black hat guy.

Maybe the girl in this one is BHG's girlfriend?

ji13mini

Postby ji13mini » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:31 pm UTC

I love these forums, without these I'm not sure if I would have ever understood this comic.
Thank you more intelligent posters, I owe you a debt of gratitude.

Blaisorblade

Postby Blaisorblade » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:48 pm UTC

DragonHawk wrote:
Lorenz wrote:

Maybe the girl in this one is BHG's girlfriend?

That's when the fans have better ideas than the author :D.

teelo

Postby teelo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:07 am UTC

Yahhh! Where is todays comic!!

F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”