0914: "Ice"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ysth

Re: 0914: "Ice"

Postby ysth » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:36 am UTC

bigjeff5 wrote:"Charlie the Unicorn" is the same thing except with a missing spleen, and that's a youtube sensation (if you've never heard of it, I'm shocked, and you must go watch it now).

Kidney, you mean...

Oh, wait, there seems to be an altered version out? Why?
A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |

T5m17h

Postby T5m17h » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:08 am UTC

Could AAA refer to the band Against All Authority
who have an album
24 Hour Roadside Resistance
?

squareroot

Postby squareroot » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:20 am UTC

teelo wrote:Yahhh! Where is todays comic!!

F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

My thoughts exactly. (Except more CTRL-R instead of F5)
<signature content="" style="tag:html;" overused meta />
Good fucking job Will Yu, you found me - __ -

Randomizer

Postby Randomizer » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:22 am UTC

I'd heard the kidney legend before but not the AIDS club one. At first I thought that the girl simply found it convenient that he had his own ice she could use when taking his kidney out. Then, waking up and wondering where his ice was, he discovered he had woken up in a tubful of his own bloody ice with his kidney missing.

I thought, "Shit, Randall's gone to doing dark, disturbing stuff now."

Coming here and reading that those were actually kidneys, and confirming via taking a second look that, yes those were kidneys (and therefore his hadn't been taken)... Somehow the comic wasn't disturbing anymore. :|
Belial wrote:I'm all outraged out. Call me when the violent rebellion starts.

philip1201

Postby philip1201 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:32 am UTC

Blaisorblade wrote:
DragonHawk wrote:
Lorenz wrote:
Economica wrote:How does one procure a bathtub full of kidneys? And who does that?

As to the How I have no answer, but the who certainly sounds like black hat guy.

Maybe the girl in this one is BHG's girlfriend?

That's when the fans have better ideas than the author :D.

Why wouldn't it have been Randall's intention? I thought it was.

Ocker3

Postby Ocker3 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:38 am UTC

squareroot wrote:
teelo wrote:Yahhh! Where is todays comic!!

F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

My thoughts exactly. (Except more CTRL-R instead of F5)

Ctrl-F5 for force refresh, which I assume is still valid. Historically, F5 only checked the local host for updates, Ctrl-F5 goes back to the original host.
"why change something that's broken in a way that you know it's broken" - Brett McGrath

Cres

Postby Cres » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:36 pm UTC

Reminds me of this Human Giant sketch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGB9tzZWxcg

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:12 pm UTC

siecraticmethod wrote:instead of stealing his kidneys and leaving him in a bathtub full of ice, she stole his ice and left him in a bathtub full of kidneys.

Ah, thank you! My first thought was: "Why the hell did that guy wake up in a bathtub full of sausages? And why was he so eager to get some ice? And why the Hell would he end up in that girl's apartment??!"

I thought it was some of those nonsense jokes, but it turns out that I'm not much familiar with American folklore. My bad, I should've learned after all those bombs. :)

P.S. The bombs part - just kidding. Well, not really, they did kind of fall down kind of around here. I was just trying to be funny about it this time, though. :)

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:11 pm UTC

Too bad he wasn't able to make it back to the party -- without ice, but with exotically intriguing snack refills.

hotaru

Postby hotaru » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:41 am UTC

10nitro wrote:Not so much that I didn't, but that teelo did. It doesn't matter who makes the first post, but teelo seems to think it does. I'm upset that he made a bullshit post just to start the thread, and didn't actually have anything to say. He shouldn't have posted.

I also just kind of wanted to post an angry rant.

it's also a blatant violation of the rules of this forum:
Felstaff wrote:
  • Don't start a blank thread just to be first. Not only is it a tiny bit pathetic, it's also annoying. Complete your thread before submitting it.

i don't really care who starts the first thread, but i do think that the two threads for this comic should be merged. the only reason i started a thread was because there wasn't yet a thread to post my comment in.

Code: Select all

factorial product enumFromTo 1
isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:25 pm UTC

Problem Solved.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:33 pm UTC

Ocker3 wrote:Ctrl-F5 for force refresh, which I assume is still valid. Historically, F5 only checked the local host for updates, Ctrl-F5 goes back to the original host.

Er, no.

A regular refresh (F5 or Ctrl+R) causes the browser to make an HTTP request with the "If-Modified-Since" header. The date is set to the date the cached object was retrieved. If the resource hasn't been modified since then, the server responds with an HTTP 304 "Not Modified" status, and an empty body. If the resource *has* changed, the server responds with a regular HTTP 200 "OK" status, and sends the content in the body. In other words, the browser asks the server, "Send me again if it's changed since the last time I looked". The server either says "It hasn't changed" or "Here's the new content".

A forced reload (with Ctrl+Shift+R or Ctrl+F5) causes the browser to make an unconditional HTTP request, and *always* transfers a new copy of the resource. Any caching is discarded. It's mainly useful for cases where you believe the server is not tracking/reporting modification dates correctly.

Don't overuse forced reload; it significantly increases load on the server for no good reason.
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

udqbpn

Postby udqbpn » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:51 am UTC

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”