0918: "Google+"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SpringLoaded12

Re: 0918: "Google+"

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:53 pm UTC

It seems Google wants to have software/services for everything.
So far, they've been on a roll with that. Hell, what computer-related service isn't doable via Google programs and stuff, besides file conversion and music players?
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

Cosmologicon

Postby Cosmologicon » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:16 pm UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:It seems Google wants to have software/services for everything. Hell, what computer-related service isn't doable via Google programs and stuff, besides file conversion and music players?

Online banking? Reading comics? Ordering books? Renting movies? Booking airline tickets? Playing video games? Chat rooms? Internet auctions? Online dating? Video editing? Filing taxes? Programming? Backup services? ISP? Background checks?

Actually I agree with you for the most part. Google does have a heck of a lot of products. They probably do offer some of these, or will at some point. I don't think they're in everything yet, though....

yankeefan984

Postby yankeefan984 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:40 pm UTC

Cosmologicon wrote:
SpringLoaded12 wrote:It seems Google wants to have software/services for everything. Hell, what computer-related service isn't doable via Google programs and stuff, besides file conversion and music players?

Online banking? Reading comics? Ordering books? Renting movies? Booking airline tickets? Playing video games? Chat rooms? Internet auctions? Online dating? Video editing? Filing taxes? Programming? Backup services? ISP? Background checks?

Actually I agree with you for the most part. Google does have a heck of a lot of products. They probably do offer some of these, or will at some point. I don't think they're in everything yet, though....

Google Reader, Google Books or Shopping, Youtube rentals, Google Chat, Youtube video editor, Google code, fiberfi
They actually do quite a few of those things.

Cosmologicon

Postby Cosmologicon » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:53 pm UTC

Sure, some of those are great examples. I admit I forgot about Google Bookstore and Google Reader. Some are to a much more limited extent. Google Code is not an IDE (which is what I had in mind by "programming"), Fiber-Fi is in like one city, Youtube rentals is a far cry from Netflix. You don't buy merchandise through Google Shopping any more than you read xkcd.com through Google Search.

I guess what counts as "doable" is YMMV sort of thing. I still say that Google has a loooong way to go before you can do everything without using any other companies. :)

bantler

Postby bantler » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:10 pm UTC

Cosmologicon wrote: I still say that Google has a loooong way to go before you can do everything without using any other companies. :)

And yet nearly every company couldn’t function without Google…

Cosmologicon

Postby Cosmologicon » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:13 pm UTC

Come on, you really think that's true? Do you think that in the Apple and Microsoft headquarters people are relying on Google products, lest their company cease to function?

bantler

Postby bantler » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:16 pm UTC

Cosmologicon wrote:Come on, you really think that's true? Do you think that in the Apple and Microsoft headquarters people are relying on Google products, lest their company cease to function?

Betcha Google is their most common homepage.
Apple is a can-maker. Google is the Juice.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:32 pm UTC

Cosmologicon wrote:Come on, you really think that's true? Do you think that in the Apple and Microsoft headquarters people are relying on Google products, lest their company cease to function?

I'd die a little inside having to work for Microsoft. Because they are forced to use bing (is it capitalised?).
I'd just die, if I had to work for Apple.
:wink:
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Tophe

Postby Tophe » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:50 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
Tophe wrote:Facebook is blocked at my job (like it is for most people), but if G+ takes off I could see our IT dept blocking the whole Google domain too and that would suck.

I take it you have an incredibly incompetent IT department?

Yes. Yes I do.

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:53 pm UTC

Tophe wrote:
Роберт wrote:
Tophe wrote:Facebook is blocked at my job (like it is for most people), but if G+ takes off I could see our IT dept blocking the whole Google domain too and that would suck.

Yes. Yes I do.

The thought of an incredibly incompetent IT department depresses me; mostly because the acronym breaks the alliteration.
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:53 pm UTC

bantler wrote:
Cosmologicon wrote: I still say that Google has a loooong way to go before you can do everything without using any other companies. :)
Unless there's a lot more companies than I'm aware of using Google Docs or something to that nature, I have no idea what you're talking about.

bantler

Postby bantler » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:15 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
bantler wrote:
Unless there's a lot more companies than I'm aware of using Google Docs or something to that nature, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Try a bit. Imagine a company that was completety invisible to Google.
Google is the ears in the forest.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:25 pm UTC

You... do realize there are other search engines out there right? If google didn't exist, people would just use the other ones.

karanj

Postby karanj » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:41 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:You... do realize there are other search engines out there right? If google didn't exist, people would just use the other ones.

The point was not that the company couldn't function in a world without Google, but rather that if the company did not engage with Google in the context of this world, it would be knee-capping itself.

That said, I would suspect that if a sufficiently large company pushed their business elsewhere, to Microsoft or Yahoo, Google would find a way to index their stuff anyway. They're not one to let a challenge go by unanswered.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:47 pm UTC

Still not sure what you mean. Google is in the interest of engaging other sites with their crawlers. If google just started dropping results at random people would quickly flock from it, its excellent results are arguably its largest advantage over other search engines.

Most of the interaction a site does directly with google they do to all search engines (see SEO).

mblumber2

Postby mblumber2 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:58 pm UTC

The domain name googleplus.com was registered by Google in 2002. This is a long time coming.

Wolby

Postby Wolby » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:23 am UTC

mblumber2 wrote:The domain name googleplus.com was registered by Google in 2002. This is a long time coming.

Or alternately they were doing the smart thing and registering every domain they could think of with the word "Google" in it. "Google Plus" is an obvious one---anybody who wants to pitch themselves as "better than google."

The only thought I have right now about the service is that I wish the full name equally shared to everyone wasn't so ubiquitous. I'd like to be able to manage nicknames among groups, especially since I'm in the messy, non-Euclidean process of changing my name right now. This process has also highlighted how many different places Google keeps your name---it's astonishingly difficult to change your gchat name (it turns out you have to ask other people to change it on their end), and though I've changed it everywhere I can reach, a lot of services still sport completely different variations.

Hockeypuck

Postby Hockeypuck » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:28 am UTC

This comic currently ranks #1 on Google in a search for "Google+"; It is just above Google's blogspot post about it, and below that is the actual Google+ page.

So, when's xkcd+ coming out?

StClair

Postby StClair » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:32 am UTC

Hockeypuck wrote:So, when's xkcd+ coming out?

+1 :)

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:30 am UTC

jonadab wrote:
I hate being forced into things just because of my geographic position. This is the internets, location is irrelevant here.

Indeed. YouTube does the same thing with its video adverts. I'll be sitting around watching Japanese content (wacky commercials, or old episodes of anpanman, or some such jazz), and suddenly I'll be watching an advertisement for John Kasich. It's quite jarring. If I were interested in content related to my immediate geographical vicinity, I'd be watching TV or reading a newspaper.

It almost makes me want to exchange tunneling services with some like-minded nerd on the other side of the globe, but that would be horrible for latency, not to mention what it would do to bandwidth (especially with consumer-grade connections these days not being symmetrical).

Are you a proud Buckeye?

O-H!

the person above me wrote:When is xkcd+ coming out?
Maybe it'll be an upgrade to the fora
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

SEE

Postby SEE » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:03 am UTC

edgyeel wrote:For instance, it can be argued that advertising, especially of the targeted variety, is in itself evil, as it constitutes manipulation.

Well, see, the problem with getting people to believe persuasion is evil is that, well, you have to persuade them of that idea. But if you do so openly, they come to the obvious conclusion that you're doing evil by trying to persuade them that persuasion is evil. So you have to create a whole deceptive superstructure to short-circuit their rational evaluation of your efforts to persuade. This will usually involve taking specific inessential features of each attempt at persuasion, blowing them up all out of proportion, and using them to classify the persuasion you're engaged in as good "education" and that of others as evil "manipulation" or "propaganda". The trouble is, other people are busy trying to convince people that their persuasion efforts are "education" and that yours are "manipulation". The result is that many of the people who would be vulnerable to your efforts at education have already been manipulated by others into believing you're a manipulator and their manipulators are educators.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:47 am UTC

Will it be a geek dating site?
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

RahulKolasseri

Postby RahulKolasseri » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:15 am UTC

Alt text: "On one hand, you'll never be able to convince your parents to switch. On the other hand, you'll never be able to convince your parents to switch!"

On the other hand, you have different fingers
Xeio wrote:Small amounts of cancer are definately worth the awesome.

nicievans

Postby nicievans » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:54 pm UTC

After reading today's comic, I went looking for more thought provoking humor by typing "geek comic" into Google.

xkcd was the first site in the list.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:15 pm UTC

vodka.cobra wrote:
Tophe wrote:
Роберт wrote:

Yes. Yes I do.

The thought of an incredibly incompetent IT department depresses me; mostly because the acronym breaks the alliteration.

Heh!

Does that mean that "Incompetent Information Technology" is the real origin of the acronym for that school in Illinois?
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:27 pm UTC

Monika wrote:

That's been done. Ever heard of SoulGeek?
Actually, there's probably several geek dating sites by now...
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

Neepmeep

Postby Neepmeep » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:11 pm UTC

Welp, this is the first time I've ever been interested in joining a social networking site. Now, I just have to wait for it to appear to me!

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:11 pm UTC

bmonk wrote:Does that mean that "Incompetent Information Technology" is the real origin of the acronym for that school in Illinois?
Hey... wait a second... I worked in IT in the campus library there. :evil:

qwertyaznman123

Postby qwertyaznman123 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:49 pm UTC

Bahaha. I thought the exact same thing when I first saw it.

EDIT: I'm commenting on what the girl says in the first panel, btw.

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:24 pm UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:
Monika wrote:

That's been done. Ever heard of SoulGeek?
Actually, there's probably several geek dating sites by now...

Do you know what needs to happen?

Someone needs to make a necrophiliac dating service... and route calls to it from the suicide hotline.

They would make... a killing.
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

puffs

Postby puffs » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:17 am UTC

pffffffffthahhaha I bet google+ will be as revolutionary as google wave was :roll:

keep trying, google

vineetvb

Postby vineetvb » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:32 am UTC

So now xkcd will be used to endorse and promote Google products that cannot succeed on their own?

alreadytaken4536

Postby alreadytaken4536 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:35 am UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:It seems Google wants to have software/services for everything.
So far, they've been on a roll with that. Hell, what computer-related service isn't doable via Google programs and stuff, besides file conversion and music players?

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:58 am UTC

I use Google's data, only fair that I let them use mine. ;)
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

thewhiteraven

Postby thewhiteraven » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:32 pm UTC

Does anybody want an invite? :)

jakerman999

Postby jakerman999 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:32 am UTC

thewhiteraven wrote:Does anybody want an invite? :)

Only one post, obvious troll is obvious.

But yes.
If all the worlds my stage let's go to intermission

thewhiteraven

Postby thewhiteraven » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:09 am UTC

And here I was, giving up my anonymous observer status for the first time to do a good deed.

email address

yash

Postby yash » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:19 pm UTC

jakerman999 wrote:
thewhiteraven wrote:Does anybody want an invite? :)

Only one post, obvious troll is obvious.

But yes.

@thewhiteraven, Thank you!

-not a troll. I now have an invite! Really! :)
Yash.
[t l]

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:31 pm UTC

And does it work?
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

squig

Postby squig » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:28 am UTC