0918: "Google+"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Re: 0918: "Google+"

Postby Felstaff » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:38 am UTC

I like Google+ ...so far.

So much so I parody'd it a little bit.
Spoiler:

It was done, at work, in MSPaint, with an RSI-inducing gunked-up ball-mouse, so reserve your photoshoppery judgements. Now excuse me, I have much work to catch up on :-(
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

feyayeruka

Postby feyayeruka » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:36 am UTC

I want an invite! :D

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:36 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:I like Google+ ...so far.

Spoiler:

It was done, at work, in MSPaint, with an RSI-inducing gunked-up ball-mouse, so reserve your photoshoppery judgements. Now excuse me, I have much work to catch up on :-(

I'm pretty sure I've already sent in the application to subscribe to your newsletter, but I would now also like an invitation to use your new service. Pretty please. With sugar on top.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

icenine

Postby icenine » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:27 pm UTC

Got an invite from thewhiteraven and paying it forward now :) PM me your email if you still want google+.

Sorry I might take some time to check back here (I'm going to sleep soon + school and life tomorrow) and the invite might take longer (maybe a day) to arrive.

Aelfyre

Postby Aelfyre » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:16 pm UTC

Weak sauce! I actually scored an invite and it *still* wont let me in! Says they are over capacity.
Xanthir wrote:To be fair, even perfectly friendly antimatter wildebeests are pretty deadly.

Tyrannosaur

Postby Tyrannosaur » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:21 pm UTC

i got sent an invite and made it in without problem. And I hate google. mandatory location-based searching- Google is not living up to their motto :(
djessop wrote:The t-shirt should read "There are 11 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who insist the number above is pronounced as eleven no matter what base you're in".

Aelfyre

Postby Aelfyre » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:47 pm UTC

Tyrannosaur wrote:i got sent an invite and made it in without problem. And I hate google. mandatory location-based searching- Google is not living up to their motto :(

Money does that to humans.
Xanthir wrote:To be fair, even perfectly friendly antimatter wildebeests are pretty deadly.

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:58 pm UTC

Yea, anyone who wants an invite shoot me a pm.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:33 pm UTC

Tyrannosaur wrote:i got sent an invite and made it in without problem. And I hate google. mandatory location-based searching- Google is not living up to their motto :(

wow, you must have a really strict definition of evil...

Aelfyre

Postby Aelfyre » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:43 pm UTC

Aelfyre wrote:Weak sauce! I actually scored an invite and it *still* wont let me in! Says they are over capacity.

Ok, got in this morning... Now I just need to fill out my circlez a tad :)

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:50 pm UTC

We need to monetize. We could make millions!

No way. A million dollars isn't cool. You know what's cool?

A BILLI---

CIRCLES.
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

windowsforvista

Postby windowsforvista » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:12 pm UTC

Surprised nobody posted this: https://plus.google.com/111588569124648292310/posts

obb

Postby obb » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:52 pm UTC

http://www.thedoghousediaries.com/?p=2888

This comic reminded me of the alt text of this comic :D Which is funny considering the whole "youtube parties" xkcd being similar to that old doghouse diaries.

bam

Postby bam » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:25 pm UTC

I'm enjoying the site and think it has a lot of potential but really right now I just need to get more people to join or befriend more people I don't know (yet). None of my irl friends are truly tech savvy (save one or two) and keep up to date on stuff like this.
Hey, I'm new here, but I'm very interested in getting to know the community and learning new things (coding, etc.). I'm always up for a good conversation ;).

Stig Hemmer

Postby Stig Hemmer » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:00 pm UTC

So, all you people who want to use Google's social networking site, Google+, why aren't you using Google's social networking site, Orkut?
This is not true.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:46 am UTC

Stig Hemmer wrote:So, all you people who want to use Google's social networking site, Google+, why aren't you using Google's social networking site, Orkut?

Because we (for the post part) aren't in Brazil and/or India.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

mojacardave

Re: 918: "Google+"

Postby mojacardave » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:45 am UTC

Harold wrote:
joee wrote: Should be interesting to see how it works when more people are on it

Why would anyone want to move, if their content is already on Facebook? Google+ offers no benefit to the end user, at least compared with the effort involved moving platforms.

I've seen that argument so many times, but I don't really understand it. What's the hassle in moving social networking sites? The amount of set up is minimal. Most of the content is live updates. Okay your profile is going to look pretty blank for a while, but apart from a few text boxes to describe yourself, everything is populated 'as you go'. The only obvious frustration is rebuilding your friend list, but (for me at least) the opportunity to trim all the inevitable 'notreallyfriends' from Facebook and start again from scratch is almost a bigger incentive than any other to join. I'm sure in a few months if I'm still using G+ I'll have picked up just as many ex-school-bullies and one-night-stands, but at the moment, my friend list (of 1!) is looking very sleek and appealing.

Not to mention, with an Android phone and a Gmail account, most of my contacts were auto-suggested for addition when I joined. Now it's just a case of convincing them to make the switch...

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:21 pm UTC

At this library, Facebook is not blocked but Myspace and Google+ are.

wat

E: Correction: Nearly ever social networking site that is not Facebook is blocked.

TaylorP

Postby TaylorP » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:28 pm UTC

I would have no problems with switching. I already like the G+ interface a lot better than Facebook's, and its not just the "new toy" effect either. Google+ just feels more intuitive to me, not to mention features like Circles that seem so essential to social networking. I will admit that it's pretty quiet at the moment, especially since the only Stream activity I get is from following Randall and my photographer friend, but I think if we give it time Google+ has the potential to really take off. I certainly hope it does.

mojacardave wrote:I'm sure in a few months if I'm still using G+ I'll have picked up just as many ex-school-bullies and one-night-stands, but at the moment, my friend list (of 1!) is looking very sleek and appealing

I have FIVE friends on G+ so far. Take that! :)

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:07 am UTC

The two things that I'd like G+ to have are groups and events. There's nothing quite as nice as its lack or app API to keep us free from spam. Wall posting could prove useful as well.

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

spekkeh

Postby spekkeh » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:22 am UTC

Google already owns my e-mail conversations (gmail), my phone communication (android), my interests and preferences (google search), the websites I visit (google ads) and the places I go to (Maps). Until now I at least had the illusion that all of this was all decontextualized data, but I'm sure as hell not giving them my social graph so that they can add faces and semantic information to link all this data together. Google has become a sort of superstate that knows more about you than the Stasi did of DDR citizens. Maybe they're not interested in using it for evil (but who knows right), but the fact that they're even trying to get all this information without exercising selfconstraint means they're unethical. I think you people are all a bit mental to eagerly join up for Google Plus. Facebook may be Facebook, at least it's not part of the Google empire.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:11 am UTC

spekkeh wrote:Google already owns my e-mail conversations (gmail), my phone communication (android), my interests and preferences (google search), the websites I visit (google ads) and the places I go to (Maps). Until now I at least had the illusion that all of this was all decontextualized data, but I'm sure as hell not giving them my social graph so that they can add faces and semantic information to link all this data together. Google has become a sort of superstate that knows more about you than the Stasi did of DDR citizens. Maybe they're not interested in using it for evil (but who knows right), but the fact that they're even trying to get all this information without exercising selfconstraint means they're unethical. I think you people are all a bit mental to eagerly join up for Google Plus. Facebook may be Facebook, at least it's not part of the Google empire.

It's all a matter of where your paranoia limit lies. The more a site knows about you, the more capable it is of being useful and fun. That's the unavoidable issue with social networking.

Surely if you have an Android phone, all of your contacts and your calendar are already stored by Google anyway (unless you've purposefully disabled the online storage option, and are storing to SIM). There isn't a lot of extra information shared with Google+. If anything, Google+ actually makes it more visible how much Google knows about you, so it's easier to track...

Personally I really like it, but as other posters have said - I'd like some form of event organisation tool, which is the only thing I really find Facebook invaluable for.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:28 am UTC

Facebook has an option for disabling the profile (and supposedly even really deleting, if one can find it). Then you appear to be gone from Facebook and your messages etc. appear as anonymous. Is there such an option for Google+? Or is the only way to do something equivalent to disable/delete the entire Google account, together with Gmail, calendar, Youtube account, ...?
Just asking, because the people whose Google+ profiles were disabled by Google because of not using their real name (including William Shatner, who *was* using his real name) also could not use Gmail, calendar etc. anymore initially, until they gave Google their cell phone number and were sent some code that they had to enter. (People whose last name includes Google legitimately, e.g. the Dutch "van der Google"s cannot register with their real name BTW.)
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

fr00t

Postby fr00t » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:11 pm UTC

I really like it. Alot. I never really used facebook, but recognize the utility. Having it tied in with my gmail account makes it very accessible for me. Plus, like everything google does, it's aesthetically superior in every way.

Also, I haven't heard many people talk about it, but the "hangout" feature is really cool. What would really make it perfect is if they added some more collaborative features, like streaming/sharing media files, and a whiteboard. Even better, if they included the functionality of google wave it would be totally awesome.

So... I hope it takes. But even if it ends up being obviously better than facebook, the sheer inertia factor might be too much, I fear.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:11 pm UTC

Monika wrote:Just asking, because the people whose Google+ profiles were disabled by Google because of not using their real name (including William Shatner, who *was* using his real name) also could not use Gmail, calendar etc. anymore initially, until they gave Google their cell phone number and were sent some code that they had to enter. (People whose last name includes Google legitimately, e.g. the Dutch "van der Google"s cannot register with their real name BTW.)

Why can't you join Google+ under a pseudonym? Who cares?

This seems pretty ridiculous.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:37 pm UTC

Well, looks like Google cares.

Facebook also tries to prevent fake names and doesn't let you register if what you give as last name is not a last name in the opinion of its automatic tool.

Cosmologicon

Postby Cosmologicon » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:11 pm UTC

The idea behind disallowing pseudonyms seems to be cut down on harassing behavior. There's a sizable body of research now that suggests that people are far more likely to engage in harassing, trollish, and negative behavior if they're anonymous. I know some people don't care about that, but some people take online harassment really seriously, and a new social network probably has to be cautious about it.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:39 am UTC

Cosmologicon wrote:The idea behind disallowing pseudonyms seems to be cut down on harassing behavior. There's a sizable body of research now that suggests that people are far more likely to engage in harassing, trollish, and negative behavior if they're anonymous. I know some people don't care about that, but some people take online harassment really seriously, and a new social network probably has to be cautious about it.

In my experience, dedicated troll accounts tend to have generic names and large friends lists (at least 3,000 friends). So it's hard to believe any automatic algorithm could weed them out.

On the other hand, fake accounts under names such as Gaius Valerius Catullus or Jesus Christ tend to be much less likely to succeed at trolling, and thus much less likely to attempt it.

Also, it's kind of impossible to harass people on FB or G+ without them accepting a friend request first.

McClow

Postby McClow » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:56 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:I like Google+ ...so far.

Spoiler:

I love it.

McClow

Postby McClow » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:57 pm UTC

We need xkcd to have more Google+ comics just so everyone will use it more. I can't wait until it kills Facebook. I hate Facebook so much.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:03 am UTC

I don't hate Facebook yet, but the API, whilst a nice idea, has made Farmville clones so prevalent that I have to block a new application request, and remove new application alerts from my feed every day. The most frustrating thing is how many of the people on my friends list use them... And the fact that they think I might join in...

Exclusive Blend

Postby Exclusive Blend » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:32 pm UTC

McClow wrote:We need xkcd to have more Google+ comics just so everyone will use it more. I can't wait until it kills Facebook. I hate Facebook so much.

I think it's going to take a long time before G+ kills Facebook, but I do think it is inevitable. I've had Google+ for almost a month and it seems like the only people who have it are techy nerds, predominantly male. It will take a while before the majority of young facebookers jump on. Most of my Facebook friends don't have it, so I unfortunately can't delete my FB profile for a while yet. (Not that Facebook will let me delete my data.)

The Android app for G+ is waaay better than the Facebook Android App.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:40 pm UTC

Exclusive Blend wrote:The Android app for G+ is waaay better than the Facebook Android App.

Well I would certainly hope so . . .

blahdeblah123

Postby blahdeblah123 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:05 pm UTC

You should get Ubuntu!
What is it?
Not Windows!
What's it like?
Windows!

You should get a Gateway PC!
What is it?
Not a Compaq PC!
What's it like?
A Compaq PC!

You should use Java!
What is it?
Not C!
What's it like?
C!

You should get an XBOX360!
What is it?
Not a PS3!
What's it like?
A PS3!

You should play VtM!
What is it?
Not D&D!
What's it like?
D&D!

You should play The Witcher!
What is it?
Not FFXIII!
What's it like?
FFXIII!

You should play baseball!
What is it?
Not football!
What's it like?
Football!

:roll: Getting mighty tired of the "it's just facebook but not!" bandwagon... as if there being more than one of X (e.g., RPGs, programming languages, sports) was a BAD thing.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:30 am UTC

blahdeblah123 wrote:YYou should get an XBOX360!
What is it?
Not a PS3!
What's it like?
A PS3!

The difference is that one doesn't have any games and the other catches on fire (when you don't want it to).

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:16 am UTC

There are situations when you want to catch your play device to catch on fire?

lolkthanxbye

Postby lolkthanxbye » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:53 pm UTC

blahdeblah123 wrote:You should get Ubuntu!
What is it?
Not Windows!
What's it like?
Windows!

You should get a Gateway PC!
What is it?
Not a Compaq PC!
What's it like?
A Compaq PC!

You should use Java!
What is it?
Not C!
What's it like?
C!

You should get an XBOX360!
What is it?
Not a PS3!
What's it like?
A PS3!

You should play VtM!
What is it?
Not D&D!
What's it like?
D&D!

You should play The Witcher!
What is it?
Not FFXIII!
What's it like?
FFXIII!

You should play baseball!
What is it?
Not football!
What's it like?
Football!

:roll: Getting mighty tired of the "it's just facebook but not!" bandwagon... as if there being more than one of X (e.g., RPGs, programming languages, sports) was a BAD thing.

Best. tactic. ever.

musashi1600

Postby musashi1600 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:05 pm UTC

Resurrecting this up since I'm debating whether or not to join Google+ right now.

I'm someone who has zero trust in Facebook and has stayed far away from that site, although I do use several of Google's services (email, calendar, contacts, maps, Android, and a couple others.) In particular, I've heard stories of friends on Facebook having their privacy settings set to keep their profile information private, only to have those settings default to public whenever Facebook makes a change to those settings. I recognize that I have a boat-load of data with Google, and they seem to have done a good job of keeping it locked down, but I'm wondering if I can trust them enough to go ahead with Google+.
It's Bicycle Repair Man!

TimXCampbell

Postby TimXCampbell » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:54 pm UTC

musashi1600 wrote:Resurrecting this up since I'm debating whether or not to join Google+ right now.

Here is the entirety of my logic for the services I use:

I use Google rather than Bing because Microsoft is already big enough.
I use Facebook rather than Google+ because Google is already big enough.

That's it.

Google+ probably has some neat features. I expect Facebook will add some of them later on. Or not. I can survive with what we've got.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”