0920: "Youtube Parties"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

RahulKolasseri

0920: "Youtube Parties"

Postby RahulKolasseri » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:15 am UTC

Alt: "This reminds me of that video where ... no? How have you not seen that? Oh man, let me find it. No, it's ok, we can go back to your video later."

This. Happens everytime I show someone a youtube video.

EDIT: Messed up the title
Xeio wrote:Small amounts of cancer are definately worth the awesome.

sherlip

Re: 0920: "Youtube Parties"

Postby sherlip » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:17 am UTC

Always.. it's like it never ends.. only stopping to eat and piss. It is, the Youtube Centipede!

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:19 am UTC

I see the forum link is still missing.
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

Turing Machine

Postby Turing Machine » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:20 am UTC

I thought the problem was that you are watching YouTube.

tehol

Postby tehol » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:21 am UTC

Never had a party specifically for watching youtube videos, but a couple of gatherings did show signs of devolving into this.
ACF Forum home--Lether lol, CN FTW Goodbye, O fiendish mind-thief Seems I can't escape
- tehol OR tehol this link kills spam?

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:25 am UTC

Turing Machine wrote:I thought the problem was that you are watching YouTube.

Youtube is like a wiki, you just cant help archive diving, except it tends to eat way more of your bandwidth.
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:30 am UTC

"I know what video to watch when this is over"...

.. and they all involve cats.

Helldrake

Postby Helldrake » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:43 am UTC

This reminds me of a very similar comic. Am i the only one? and im pretty sure it was xkcd too.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:02 am UTC

I don't know what a 'Youtube Party' is but I can definitely relate, as this has happened to my family a couple of times.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:03 am UTC

Youtube party eh? Hm... might try that sometime.
Far away boys, far away boys, away from you now.
I'm lying with my sweetheart, in her arms I'll be found.

zwolf4444

Postby zwolf4444 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:42 am UTC

There's a Doghouse Diaries (#1242) that is almost exactly the same as this comic. Apparently, I'm not allowed to post the link to it because I'm a new member. So instead I suggest googling "doghouse diaries youtube."

jpk

Postby jpk » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:01 am UTC

He's right, you know.

Everyone wants to be the DJ, nobody wants to listen to the radio.

A_of_s_t

Postby A_of_s_t » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:24 am UTC

glasnt wrote:"I know what video to watch when this is over"...

.. and they all involve cats.

I'm pretty sure that should have been the alt-text.
Check out my web interzones powered by Web 3.0 technology running on Mozzarella Foxfire:
Spoiler:

oddtail

Postby oddtail » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:30 am UTC

Helldrake wrote:This reminds me of a very similar comic. Am i the only one? and im pretty sure it was xkcd too.

Yes it was, and I honestly fail to see how today's comic brings anything new to the table.

This is not merely derivative, it's the exact same joke as before. Done slightly worse, too, arguably.

Can't find that comic right now, though.

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:43 am UTC

I just recently finished high school and I recall a few times over those four years, a teacher would show us a class-relevant video on YouTube, and usually at least one kid in the class would ask if they could show everyone a video. Sometimes the teacher would agree, if it was relevant to the class. I once showed the class a video of musical Tesla coils playing the Tetris theme in Physics class.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

rpgamer

Postby rpgamer » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:50 am UTC

It's a problem that isn't specific to youtube videos. Many conversations go this way, too. One party talks, while the other just waits for their turn to talk.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:44 am UTC

tehol wrote:Never had a party specifically for watching youtube videos, but a couple of gatherings did show signs of devolving into this.

I often think it's a "quick, plan B!" for when the sound system breaks or something. Here we get a lot of TV recorded or rebroadcast on Youtube too. So no worry about quality as everyone can choose something they do want to watch. Thankfully, never had to use "plan B" yet though. :D
[edit]
SpringLoaded12 I share that video with friends too. *hums the Mario tune in a Tesla coil accent*
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:25 am UTC

yeah, this has happened to me, it's nearly always something from http://www.jonandal.com/ that i want to put on.

vish

Postby vish » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:29 am UTC

i think i can link it
you are right , it is
http://www.thedoghousediaries.com/?p=1242

reminds me of a story about (iirc) Bethe who when ~90 heard a lecture about some new stuff, went away, forgot about it,
then derived it by himself and was on his way to publish it when someone pointed out that two other people already did it (whom he had heard), only it received little attention because they weren't bethe

also
inception

feyayeruka

Postby feyayeruka » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:34 am UTC

my 8 year old kid was reading this comic over my shoulder. she didn't get the joke, but commented "oh, I saw this great clip on youtube today, let me show you!" and tried to grab the laptop from me.

Gerald Fnord

Postby Gerald Fnord » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:29 pm UTC

YouTube Party tonight!
YouTube Party tonight!

We're gonna have a YouTube Party tonight
(Alright!!) [2x]

We've got, nothing better to do
Than to tube around, and drink some Mountain Dew
Don't talk about anything else
Button up your lips!
We're gonna show you
All of our favourite clips!

(sweetafton23!!!)
(Heather Cambell's vlog!)
(George Formby!)
(Creationist nutjobs!!)
(Timecube!!!!!)

[Additional verses, or just not being beaten _too_ severely for the above, appreciated.]

stib

Postby stib » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:13 pm UTC

What's with the photo-realistic 3D shading? Is Randall getting all Vermeer on us?

willpellmn

Postby willpellmn » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:50 pm UTC

Plasma Mongoose wrote:

Youtube is like a wiki, you just cant help archive diving, except it tends to eat way more of your bandwidth.

See, I haven't had that problem. Wikipedia sometimes drags me in and TVTropes always does, but on YouTube I'm usually there just to hear-and-possibly-see my favorite music videos again and again; I seldom go looking for new stuff and when I do I'm unlikely to travel far. I think this is because, with the exception of sponsored videos for the latest popstar or whatever, YouTube is pretty good about staying topical - if I watch a video by Slayer, I'll then be offered other Slayer videos, but in short order I'll have gotten my Slayer fix and will leave unless I have another very specific video or category to look into. This isn't like TVT where I'll be reading an article and seeing links with seductively inexplicable titles that I have to investigate, or long lists of examples that tempt me into a spiraling infinite staircase of research on shows I might want to watch someday.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:48 pm UTC

The best and worst part of YouTube parties: the hysterically regrettable comments and video responses.

duckshirt

Postby duckshirt » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:16 pm UTC

Awesome. I absolutely HATE when these "YouTube Parties" happen (and I'm quite certain he's not talking about literal parties intended for YouTube watching, but the common occurrence everyone here is referring to... I've always referred to this phenomenon as a YouTube party as well). The thing I don't like is that they're always just so long and really not nearly as interesting as the "DJ" things, but there's no good, polite way to walk away from them, or to stop the never-ending process of the next person wanting to show another video immediately after the last one ends.
lol everything matters
-Ed

Turing Machine

Postby Turing Machine » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:09 pm UTC

Plasma Mongoose wrote:

I also do not browse wikis at parties.

So I guess I am out of touch.

jonadab

Postby jonadab » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:47 pm UTC

For the sake of my remaining sanity (such as it is), I choose to believe that the comic artist was just being deliberately silly when he drew this strip, and that there are not, in fact, such things as YouTube parties.

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:57 pm UTC

I always call it "Youtube-sniped"... inspired by "Nerd-Sniped" from an earlier comic.
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:51 pm UTC

I never thought of a YouTube Party. Sure beats the hell out of my "Chat Roulette" party idea.

Particularly since, as the comic clearly shows, the male to female ratio at most internet based parties is very low.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:32 pm UTC

tehol wrote:Never had a party specifically for watching youtube videos, but a couple of gatherings did show signs of devolving into this.

Nobody has a party specifically for watching YouTube videos. This is just what happens a night when people aren't very entertaining on their own.
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:18 am UTC

Yesterday I watched a video of a bug in Team Fortress 2, which quickly became close to 30 videos.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

addams

Postby addams » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:37 am UTC

jonadab wrote:For the sake of my remaining sanity (such as it is), I choose to believe that the comic artist was just being deliberately silly when he drew this strip, and that there are not, in fact, such things as YouTube parties.

Oh Dear. You may have a problem. There are You Tube Parties. Most are spontaneous. Some less so. You Tube Parties are one of the nicer things that humans do.
I fully expect you to reconcile this fact of modern life with your preconception of what it is to be human. U-Tube can be fun!
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

aethon

Postby aethon » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:19 am UTC

Been reading Reddit, I see.

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:31 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Yesterday I watched a video of a bug in Team Fortress 2, which quickly became close to 30 videos.

Because of YouTube, I knew almost everything there was to know about TF2 before I started playing it.

On a related note, the new players that are there now because of it becoming free-to-play are HILARIOUS. And sometimes annoying.

addams wrote:
jonadab wrote:For the sake of my remaining sanity (such as it is), I choose to believe that the comic artist was just being deliberately silly when he drew this strip, and that there are not, in fact, such things as YouTube parties.

Oh Dear. You may have a problem. There are You Tube Parties. Most are spontaneous. Some less so. You Tube Parties are one of the nicer things that humans do.
I fully expect you to reconcile this fact of modern life with your preconception of what it is to be human. U-Tube can be fun!

YouTube and human nature are only slightly related... if a list were made of human instincts, I doubt anything on the list would mention YouTube. Of course, all behavior of every human everywhere contributes to the study of human nature, so I suppose analysis of the most-watched and least-watched videos could contribute to a study of the psychology of entertainment or some such thing?
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:16 pm UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:YouTube and human nature are only slightly related... if a list were made of human instincts, I doubt anything on the list would mention YouTube. Of course, all behavior of every human everywhere contributes to the study of human nature, so I suppose analysis of the most-watched and least-watched videos could contribute to a study of the psychology of entertainment or some such thing?

sharing is a part of human nature though, youtube "parties" are just an extention of that

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:52 pm UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:YouTube and human nature are only slightly related... if a list were made of human instincts, I doubt anything on the list would mention YouTube. Of course, all behavior of every human everywhere contributes to the study of human nature, so I suppose analysis of the most-watched and least-watched videos could contribute to a study of the psychology of entertainment or some such thing?

sharing is a part of human nature though, youtube "parties" are just an extention of that

Ah, good point. I was thinking that he had meant that using YouTube was a part of human nature. Thanks for clarifying :mrgreen:

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:03 am UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:I just recently finished high school and I recall a few times over those four years, a teacher would show us a class-relevant video on YouTube, and usually at least one kid in the class would ask if they could show everyone a video. Sometimes the teacher would agree, if it was relevant to the class. I once showed the class a video of musical Tesla coils playing the Tetris theme in Physics class.

Wait, musical Tesla coils?
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:14 am UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:Because of YouTube, I knew almost everything there was to know about TF2 before I started playing it.

On a related note, the new players that are there now because of it becoming free-to-play are HILARIOUS. And sometimes annoying.
Yeah I've watched quite a lot of those too. Probably more than I've played recently, since most of my playtime is taken up my Minecraft these days.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Wait, musical Tesla coils?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjtzib0G9Rs

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:13 pm UTC

Hey, Randall commented on the "blag" about the Doghouse Diaries comic, acknowledging the similarity.

I wonder why he did this only now, after dozens and dozens of "similarities" were reported as well.

Lunar Savage

Postby Lunar Savage » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:11 pm UTC

Yup. Happens all the time. So I've basically resorted to just trying to avoid sharing youtube vids with people when I'm hanging with them in person. They will 99.99% of the time without a doubt show you a video they saw in return that they think is better. And because they're busy thinking about it, you either won't see much reaction out of them while they're watching your video OR...they wind up not liking the vid you showed off because they think their vid is that much better.

Much better to just share these kinds of things over the Internet. xD
*Tips top hat, adjusts monocle, and walks away with cane* and yes, that IS Mr. Peanut laying unconscious on the curb.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”