0922: "Fight Club"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Cosmologicon

Re: 0922: "Fight Club"

Postby Cosmologicon » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:47 pm UTC

I LIKE FIGHT CLUB BECAUSE IT DID NOT MAKE ME THINK. THE MOVIE IS EASY TO FOLLOW BECAUSE THERE IS ONLY THREE CHARACTERS.... OR MAYBE TWO I LOST COUNT. ALSO THEY REPEATED THE FIRST RULE BECAUSE I MISSED IT. I LIKE MOVIES THAT SHOW ONLY ONE SIDE OF AN ARGUMENT. THANK YOU FIGHT CLUB FOR NOT CHALLENGING ME.

bugbread

Postby bugbread » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:53 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Holy shit, the two of you are fucking serious? I thought we killed off your kind years ago in The Purging. Huh.

Whaddya mean "the two of you"?

Cosmologicon

Postby Cosmologicon » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:16 pm UTC

BAReFOOt wrote:So, Randall, I’m really disappointed that a person with your intellect employs in ignorance. And on that level.I found that there are two kinds of people:
• The passive beta ones, who gave up on even having a opinion and individuality of their own, who work for…
• The active alpha ones, who rule the world, reproduce their ideas in the betas’ minds, are their opinion-makers...

Now guess in which of those ways I live my life? ;)

I can't tell at all if this post is ironic, but in the terrifying event that it's not, let's look at the data so far....

the_data_so_far_2.png
the_data_so_far_2.png (10.11 KiB) Viewed 5658 times

Maltheos

Postby Maltheos » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:19 pm UTC

I am in agreement with this comic. Fight Club is a really good movie, but somehow now that I am no longer such an angry young man it seems less transformational and inspiring, and more self mocking. Which is also good, but it no longer inspires that "Best Movie Evar!1!!1!, you have to watch this" fervor it once did.

A_of_s_t

Postby A_of_s_t » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:44 pm UTC

Sometimes I think Randall is perpetually stuck in the 90's.
Check out my web interzones powered by Web 3.0 technology running on Mozzarella Foxfire:
Spoiler:

veritascs

Postby veritascs » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:58 pm UTC

I like today's comic but I don't agree with it...

paulewog

Postby paulewog » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:20 pm UTC

I've never watched it. In college, some of my friends thought it was the Best Movie Ever (tm), thought it was hilarious, amazing, and quoted it all the time...

After reading the wikipedia plot (can anyone state whether or not it's a good summary?) and some quotes in there of Fincher talking about it, it seems to me that it really offers no answers whatsoever; it seems to basically be trying to show that the world is messed up and we're all little consumers and - in the movie - the two options are Blow it Up (the Manly option!) or have sex.

While those answers may be the only two a college student can see, I really don't think that's accurate. Removing consumerism and "going back" to the "golden age" where life was "simpler" and people "didn't" use "quotes" on "almost" every "word" ... is nothing new. We seem to automatically idealize the old times where people didn't have all this consumerism. Unfortunately, we forget that almost everyone was doing subsistence farming and most people were barely making it, and many weren't.

Fermat Sim

Postby Fermat Sim » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:26 pm UTC

I was kind of expecting a Space Shuttle comic today... :-/

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:28 pm UTC

I can't tell at all if this post is ironic, but in the terrifying event that it's not, let's look at the data so far....

Label your Y axis!

*twitch*
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Pesto

Postby Pesto » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:34 pm UTC

Vrishna wrote:Come on, let's compile a list of movies that have a plot twist near the end which makes you think: "I have to watch this movie again, checking if I could've anticipated that twist if I had paid more attention!"

• Fight Club ("Where is my mind?" ;-))
  • The Sixth Sense (although I was guessing correctly here around the middle of the movie)

Maverick (Mel Gibson, Jodie Foster, James Garner)

Great movie to rewatch, knowing the twist at the end.

Nattlinnen

Postby Nattlinnen » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:42 pm UTC

Agreed. Watched it exactly one time. Didn't like it. Cheesy unfitting use of "Where is my mind?", boring twist (oh, he is ---, cool twist...). Surely it had intention to do something great but it failed. Falls in the category bad good movies.

edit: maybe I shouldn't spoil.
Last edited by Nattlinnen on Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:43 pm UTC

"This conversation is over...but the fight starts tonight!"

SeT

Postby SeT » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:03 pm UTC

trolling comic?

dunno. The last time I watched Fight Club was a couple months ago. I still say it's a good movie. I don't think I ever looked at it the way most do, though. I always kinda thought the main character (tyler) was kind of a douche but it was still fun to watch him spout off his lines of bs and gather this massive following.

If you want to see a movie that hasn't aged well, check out SLC Punk. I watched that a couple months ago also and wow. I don't know why I liked that movie so much when I was younger. It just wanders and goes nowhere and then all of a sudden 'oh noes, I was just a poser.' pft.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:20 pm UTC

AFW wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Holy shit, the two of you are fucking serious? I thought we killed off your kind years ago in The Purging. Huh.

As if some betas could kill me in a "purging". Come at me, bros.
Oh my god you're adorable! I just want to stick a bow on your head and put you on a shelf.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

fr00t

Postby fr00t » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:30 pm UTC

I still think it's one of the best movies ever. I don't give a shit about the message (though I once heard Palahniuk say his primary goal was to get the reader to feel something, which I'd say he does successfully), it's just actually an entertaining movie in a sea of boring and trite shit.

Alternatively, you were all angsty teenagers who have been broken by society, corporate culture, and consumerism, and you resent those who can still see through all that. Just kidding.

Aelfyre

Postby Aelfyre » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:55 pm UTC

philsov wrote:

Label your Y axis!

*twitch*

At least it wasn't *just* me :)
Xanthir wrote:To be fair, even perfectly friendly antimatter wildebeests are pretty deadly.

Aelfyre

Postby Aelfyre » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:56 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
AFW wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Holy shit, the two of you are fucking serious? I thought we killed off your kind years ago in The Purging. Huh.

As if some betas could kill me in a "purging". Come at me, bros.
Oh my god you're adorable! I just want to stick a bow on your head and put you on a shelf.

Do us all a favor? Use a really long pin to attach the bow and aim for the frontal lobe :)
Xanthir wrote:To be fair, even perfectly friendly antimatter wildebeests are pretty deadly.

DustinKoski

Postby DustinKoski » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:06 pm UTC

What about that move has not aged well? I mean, the whole point of the thing (to me) seems to be illustrating the mindset that allows for the creation of a cult of personality/fascist movement for today's crowds who think that they're too smart for that sort of thing, and that doesn't seem anything particular to that era. Is this interpretation based on the idea we're supposed to take Durden's sound bytes at face value?

Well, whatevs. He has more important things to do than answer me.

rcox1

Postby rcox1 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:53 pm UTC

To me Fight club, as a coming of age story, is way too complex. Take another movie of the same year, "Go". It is silly, has not real point or plot, but is also a coming of age story for people who are leaving young adults. The lesson learned in Go is purposefully nothing. High School coming of age stories where nothing is learned is "The Breakfast Club" and "Heathers". Like, the purpose of growing up to have experiences and stuff, not to be all complicated and learn things. A body count is sometimes necessary, but never sufficient. And life itself provides twists that basically makes most people freak out. Usually the best we can hope for is make it through the day. Which is what the best coming of age stories focus on. Sex can help.

Lawrensaurus

Postby Lawrensaurus » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:23 pm UTC

I thought it was a great love story.

FrancovS

Postby FrancovS » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:36 pm UTC

I agreed with the comic, but not with the alt-text. Fight Club is awesome, but what you should like about it is not what it says about society or consumerism. What makes it so great (IMO, one of the best movies ever made) is how Brad Pitt's character rubs you in weird, wrong ways. It really is about that "beta/alfa male thing". He channels every positive dominant male stereotype even when doing stupid, brutish stuff. So you end up either thinking he's awesome, or rationalizing and labeling him as an unrealistic asshole who would never get away with it. Either way, you end up feeling like a wimp. And triggering the question of why you feel like that is what makes the movie great.

Cosmologicon

Postby Cosmologicon » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:17 pm UTC

Ooh, I really enjoy films with twist endings! Even if they're pretty bad movies otherwise! Here's the list of films with twist endings* we have so far, with my additions in italics:
Fight Club, Sixth Sense, The Usual Suspects, Lucky Number Slevin, De grønne slagtere, Donnie Darko, Memento, The Book of Eli, The Prestige, Shutter Island, The Others, Karate Kid Part III, Maverick, Duplicity, Hot Fuzz, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Vanilla Sky, The Village, Wild Things

A twist ending isn't just a surprising ending, it has to let you reinterpret scenes you saw earlier in the film. A good twist makes you want to rewatch the movie for clues.

* - The twist doesn't have to come at the end. In Hot Fuzz and Fight Club, the twist comes at the end of act 2. The Village has two twists, at the end of acts 2 and 3. Wild Things has about 10. But I don't think I would include The Matrix, since the twist was so early, at the end of act 1.

savage

Postby savage » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:05 pm UTC

Fight Club came out when I was in high school. I've never seen it or read the book, and I've known enough fans of it (and read TV Tropes, and more generally just been on the internet long enough) to know the plot and the twist, which to me should probably be considered beyond spoilers at this point, but ehh.

Spoiler:
It strikes me that Tyler Durden is kind of a man-child projection and himself a bigger idiot than the 'mindless sheep' he rails against, and a hypocrite to boot. Isn't that the whole point? He's the same person as the narrator, and the stuff he spews is the sort of thing that angry teenage boys like to think makes them so profound and far above the 'mindless consumerist sheep' but really he's just angry that the world doesn't conform to his personal notions of 'fair' (and that mostly because he himself falls under the 'treated unfair' side of things), and his reaction to that is a typical immature teenage boy reaction: violence. Start fights, start riots, blow things up. There's not -actually- any point to any of it, it's just mindless violence against something you dislike, mostly as catharsis... essentially the driving force of terrorism.

Actually, essentially it's a movie ABOUT terrorists. Like many other terrorists, he doesn't actually want to fight for -change-, he just wants to fight. He doesn't actually have a plan for change, and that shows at the end of the movie... there's not an aftermath. Most likely, nothing changed at all (there's not a single place on earth where all credit card company records are held, and a lot of other things the narrator experiences are obviously unreliable...) except there was a lot of destruction (well, maybe... it could all just be a grand delusion). Even if we accept the information we're given as fact, and that Tyler's plan actually would work and destroying the credit records could and did happen, it wouldn't 'eliminate' debt. It might throw the economy into disarray, but that wouldn't 'free' anyone- it'd just cause more suffering.

Essentially, Tyler Durden is a Batman villain, but the person who defeats him is himself. Not without letting his big plan go through though, of course.
The thing about revenge is, you have to do it right.

Death is quick, humiliation is forever.

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:07 pm UTC

Hmm, maybe I would have liked the comic better if I had seen the movie. On a related note, most of the previous Harry Potter movies don't stand up to the test of time.

error_frey wrote:"The book of Eli" (2010) comes to mind.

What twist? The fact that the book was the Bible? I certainly hope not, I guessed that from the trailer...

Cosmologicon wrote:But I don't think I would include The Matrix, since the twist was so early, at the end of act 1.

If you mean the discovery that the world they lived in was simulated, that wasn't so much a twist as a key detail of the premise; I'd say a twist is when the movie has had you convinced of a specific fact and then something new comes in to change that. In The Matrix, you know some shit is going down from the moment you first see the agents, and what shit that is is revealed by Morpheus; it doesn't really have the same feel as other twists.

SecondTalon wrote:Holy shit, the two of you are fucking serious? I thought we killed off your kind years ago in The Purging. Huh.

What are they even talking about? Is this a Fight Club thing?
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

dr pepper

Postby dr pepper » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:19 pm UTC

Hey you self proclaimed Alphas: remember "A Gram is Better than a Damn".

Bankinus

Postby Bankinus » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:03 pm UTC

SeT wrote:I always kinda thought the main character (tyler) was kind of a douche but it was still fun to watch him spout off his lines of bs and gather this massive following.

I always thought that was the entire point of the movie, that behind the charasmatic shell of Tyler, there lies an angry teenager who just wants to be a dick.

pigslookfunny

Postby pigslookfunny » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:40 am UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:
error_frey wrote:"The book of Eli" (2010) comes to mind.

What twist? The fact that the book was the Bible? I certainly hope not, I guessed that from the trailer...

I believe it's the part where
Spoiler:
Eli was blind.

Phasma Felis

Postby Phasma Felis » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:59 am UTC

I was reading this thread, scratching my head at the notion that Fight Club hasn't aged well, when I realized with dawning horror that the people saying that thought Tyler was supposed to be right.

You know what? If, ten years ago, you saw a movie about a dude who figured that starting a cult to blow up Starbuckses was an appropriate solution to middle-class ennui, and you went "hell yeah, stick it to the man!"--then you should feel a bit disgusted looking back on it now. But you should be disgusted with yourself, not with the movie.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:16 am UTC

VentureFree wrote:I've never really been in a fight because I'm just a little twerp who's afraid of getting my ass kicked. Fight Club is a dangerous movie for me, because it makes me want to get my ass kicked.
How much can you know about yourself, you've never been in a fight? I don't wanna die without any scars. So come on; hit me before I lose my nerve.
A decade later it still has the same effect on me. I'm not allowed to watch it within a day or two of going out with friends because I just try to pick fights all night.

You are so funny. I had a friend like you. I Loved him dearly. Your friends must Love you, too.
One time we had the following conversation.

L. says something that he KNOWS I will object to. (Example: Diatoms are not bioluminescent.)

I say, "Why are you starting an argument with me?"

L. responds, "I wanted to talk to you."

I ask, "Why don't you, just, start a conversation?"

L. says, "I did."

Keep hanging out with high class people that Love you. It is not fun to get beaten up.
Some people seem to think that it is. I don't think it is.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:54 am UTC

Phasma Felis wrote:I was reading this thread, scratching my head at the notion that Fight Club hasn't aged well, when I realized with dawning horror that the people saying that thought Tyler was supposed to be right.

You know what? If, ten years ago, you saw a movie about a dude who figured that starting a cult to blow up Starbuckses was an appropriate solution to middle-class ennui, and you went "hell yeah, stick it to the man!"--then you should feel a bit disgusted looking back on it now. But you should be disgusted with yourself, not with the movie.

This, precisely.

The movie itself doesn't even try to spin Tyler as right. Tyler is the obvious antagonist for the whole last act, and certainly of questionable stature through the preceding acts. If anything it's close to the original concept of Peter Pan, before the introduction of Captain Hook; where Peter was the closest thing to an antagonist in the book, the temptation that Wendy had to overcome. Tyler presents an exciting and liberating alternative to the boring (and, truly, very flawed) grown-up world the Narrator has to live in, but the Narrator's challenge, the source of conflict and drama, is not in giving up that life for the exciting new one offered to him, it's in realizing how horribly, horribly wrong that new life could go, and running away from it as fast as he can. It's actually rather similar to a typical sci-fi formula: "Look at this marvelous invention that will solve all our problems! Marvel at its wondrousness! Wait, now it's causing worse problems, oh no! Fix it, quick!"

It's like some people see the movie as 2/3rds righteous diatribe about the evils of modern society followed by 1/3rd trippy psychological twist, and overlook the complete rebuttal of the "message" from the first portions of the movie by the last portion. That'd be like watching a "robot rebellion"-type movie and coming away with the message "yeah, robots are cool"; and what, you missed the whole "cautionary tale" part there at the end?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

savage

Postby savage » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:18 am UTC

Phasma Felis wrote:I was reading this thread, scratching my head at the notion that Fight Club hasn't aged well, when I realized with dawning horror that the people saying that thought Tyler was supposed to be right.

I think this is part of the reason why I'm glad that I ran into Hype Aversion and never saw it, as a teenager. I can see myself back then halfway agreeing with the idea that 'lol people are sheep, let's blow shit up to free everyone'. I don't necessarily know if I would say people need to be -ashamed- of themselves for it (though I have the feeling that that may be what Randall is trying to say in the comic). I think everyone at some point was a dumb kid who thought that inciting 'anarchy' (whether or not they have an actual idea of what anarchy -means-) is the solution to all the angry feelings they have inside.
The thing about revenge is, you have to do it right.

Death is quick, humiliation is forever.

WCH

Postby WCH » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:11 am UTC

That people think the film supports Tyler's views on society, or is about them, is the worst part about the film. It's about Jack's psychic crisis and development towards being able to relate to women; Tyler is an extreme manifestation of one part of that process, a necessary projection.

For anyone interested, here's an essay I wrote on it for The Hypothesis of the Unconscious (a course in Paradigms & Archetypes at the University of Toronto).

http://michaelvipperman.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/death-club.pdf

Juventas

Postby Juventas » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:20 am UTC

For those that care, the DVD is unusually poor quality (the two original releases at least). The 2009 blu-ray release had a new master, and is closer to the theater release I remember enjoying. The special effects are still low-budget. :)

I enjoy different things about the movie than I did 12 years ago. I appreciate the romance more. "You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake," now makes me think of the bloggers and twits. "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero," got a laugh. The movie is full of one-liners, the least interesting of which is the one everyone knows.

ManaUser

Postby ManaUser » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:30 am UTC

ysth wrote:If you had to follow one of those links, which would you choose?

Insurance Archeology, because what they hell is that?

It turns out it's the process of determining what insurance policies your company (or a company acquired by your company) had in the past, which is important to know if something they did while insured comes back to bite them later.

Fixblor

Postby Fixblor » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:58 am UTC

Not talking about Fight Club the movie can be explained by numerous, non-conflicting factors:

One, the whole 'rules of Fight Club' thing. It is so meta to not talk about the movie. Meta is hip, so they say.

Two, terrorism. The movie came out in 1999 and had anarchistic terrorists as protagonists. Post-2001 the film doesn't settle the same way with many Americans.

Three, for some it's a principled disagreement with either: one of the films many flawed anarchist ideologies, or its presumption that our raw primal nature is inherently "better" than a biased perspective of our current society's consumer based economy, or some other fervently principled stand ... such beliefs invariably enter into the taboo realms of both politics and religion. Two things that are not to be spoken of in polite company.

Four, many people just don't like the movie. e.g. the sound track is too electronic, or there's just too much violence, or the schizophrenic thing is trite, or I once had a roommate who wouldn't shut up about it, so shut the fuck up about it already.
Last edited by Count Modulus on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:5l am UTC, edited 13 times in total.
06:23, 18 April 2011 SmackBot (talk | contribs) m (90,899 bytes) (Dated {{Dubious}} x 153. (Build p609)) (undo)

biodomino

Postby biodomino » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:31 am UTC

I third Memento.

*protip: The truly awesome people? They never need to tell you how awesome they are.

No, but sometimes they like to.

willpellmn

Postby willpellmn » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:27 am UTC

karanj wrote:You think Fight Club aged badly? Try rewatching The Matrix.

I don't think The Matrix has lost much since 1999. All the questions about what-is-reality it poses remain valid, and the fashions and such are so stylized that I don't think of them in terms of trying to represent reality of a certain time, but just as being an archetype of a much broader period of type. I have every confidence that the next time I watch The Matrix (which will be about #7 if my count is right), it will remain as excellent a movie as ever, though the amount of competition it faces has certainly increased.

MonkeyBoy

Postby MonkeyBoy » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:05 am UTC

paulewog wrote:it seems to basically be trying to show that the world is messed up and we're all little consumers and - in the movie - the two options are Blow it Up (the Manly option!) or have sex.

I didn't even see it as offering that many options. The only answer was blowing it up. Sex was just something to keep yourself entertained while preparing to blow it up.

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:42 pm UTC

biodomino wrote:
*protip: The truly awesome people? They never need to tell you how awesome they are.

No, this detracts from the awesome. The most awesome people ever, fictional or not, never talk about their own greatness.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

biodomino

Postby biodomino » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:06 pm UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:
biodomino wrote:

No, this detracts from the awesome. The most awesome people ever, fictional or not, never talk about their own greatness.

As I read the original statement, awesome people don't need or care about the approval of others. However, they can still like to boast even if they don't need the approval. So if I followed you correctly, your rebuttal makes no sense, because what you think is awesome is inconsequential to those who are awesome.

Unless you intend to say that awesome people don't boast, by definition, but that's a tautological definition (No True Scotsman, at least) that doesn't really satisfy. Some awesome people like to boast, and many people who aren't awesome don't boast.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”