0927: "Standards"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Fixblor

Re: 0927: "Standards"

Postby Fixblor » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:18 am UTC

Timefly wrote:I invoke induction.

Roll 2d12 to see how many hours it'll take to recharge.
Last edited by Count Modulus on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:5l am UTC, edited 13 times in total.
06:23, 18 April 2011 SmackBot (talk | contribs) m (90,899 bytes) (Dated {{Dubious}} x 153. (Build p609)) (undo)

jpk

Postby jpk » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:55 am UTC

Jeff S wrote:A: Everyone faces lots of decisions in their lives, many of which are far more important than what socks you own
B: You claim it's the Best Decision Of Your Life
C: If you had made good decisions for some of those many decisions you've faced in your life, you would have had at least one decision in your life which was BETTER than what socks to own.

Therefor:

You must have made lots of bad decisions at decisions points where you had the possibility to make better decisions, which would have been better than the decision to buy matching socks. Thus, what socks to buy would not have been the best decision of your life.

Q.E.D.

Your argument falls apart at step C: simply because other decisions may have been more important, that doesn't make them (necessarily) better. They might have been just reasonable decisions - picking a reasonable school, choosing to major in computer science, about which, let's say, he had no real strong feelings but brought him a reasonable income and allowed him to buy an okay house at a time when the market was neither wildly up or ridiculously underpriced, at some point perhaps marrying someone he liked but, to be fair, has some flaws (like not sorting his socks) and so forth - all decisions more important than the matching socks in that they all impact his life in major ways, none of them made especially badly, but at the same time, none of them especially earth-shaking. The socks, on the other hand. That's his shining moment. That's the one. That's a decision which stands out because it's a daring step, a bold step (in its way), and one in which he struck out on his own and changed his life for better. In a small way.
Yeah, granted, that's still pathetic, but still...

solacelost

Postby solacelost » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:45 am UTC

Sizik wrote:
Do you mean Uniform Driver Interface? Because
Wikipedia wrote:The Uniform Driver Interface (UDI) is a defunct project developed by several companies to define a portable interface for device drivers.

I wish, SO BAD, that you edited that article, then quoted it, to make a point. I mean, I know you didn't, but that was the first thing that popped into my head when you sounded like a three year old. That would have been epic.

Comic:

It's not even funny it's so true :(
Do you have the Time?

Brian-M

Postby Brian-M » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:32 am UTC

AvatarIII wrote:thank the gods for the HDMI cable! it's really the only time a standard has truely been set, since it made all other ways of connecting stuff you yor TV obselete simultaneously,

I'm still using RCA cables. Everything I've ever connected to a TV in the last decade has used RCA cables. I've never even owned a HDMA cable. Does that make me a luddite in your eyes?

And what's all this about "all the other ways"? How many other ways are there? There's the old RF (antenna) cable (popular for connecting VCRs and essential for connecting an ATARI 2600 or Commodore 64), but that's about it. (Unless you count the rarely used VGA socket that some TVs come with.)

And since almost everything you could connect to a TV still comes with RCA sockets, and all TVs come with RCA sockets, HDMI can hardly be said to have rendered them obsolete. When you buy a new DVD player, is it more likely to come with an RCA cable or a HDMA cable?

Brian-M

Postby Brian-M » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:49 am UTC

Jeff S wrote:That is to say, what you say would be correct if the new connector supported a newer version of USB (e.g. USB 4), but if it's just another type of USB 3 cable.

Nah, I think speeds are getting to the point where a new kind of cable/connector is needed. Let's say with a pair of fiber-optic strands for data and a pair of copper wires for power.

Of course, every manufacturer will come out with a different design and protocol for their new UOC (Universal Opitcal Connector). ;)

jpk

Postby jpk » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:05 am UTC

Brian-M wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:thank the gods for the HDMI cable! it's really the only time a standard has truely been set, since it made all other ways of connecting stuff you yor TV obselete simultaneously,

And what's all this about "all the other ways"? How many other ways are there? There's the old RF (antenna) cable (popular for connecting VCRs and essential for connecting an ATARI 2600 or Commodore 64), but that's about it. (Unless you count the rarely used VGA socket that some TVs come with.)

I seem to recall hooking up a VCR to a TV using a coaxial cable, but that was a while back. Last time I lived in a house with a TV, I was still in high school.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:33 am UTC

You know what needs a standard? Any standard at all? Rechargeable batteries. Right now, aside from stuff that takes AAs or something, every single make and model of EVERYTHING uses its own specific battery, and it drives me nuts. It's not like the manufacturers are making any money on sales of replacement batteries, because they aren't the ones selling them. I realize that the power requirements of different types devices vary, as do the size limitations, but is it too much to ask for just a few standard shapes and voltages that can be used in different brands of the same thing? If AA is good enough for most pocket digital cameras, why can't all cell phones and MP3 players run on the same flat slab of lithium?

Brian-M wrote:

I'm still using RCA cables. Everything I've ever connected to a TV in the last decade has used RCA cables. I've never even owned a HDMA cable. Does that make me a luddite in your eyes?

And unless it's a really weird coincidence, even the Commodore 64 supported RCA via the cable used to connect to RGB monitors (why monitors picked up a connector standard invented by a TV company before TVs did, I don't know). I never got around to trying it before we had to throw ours out, but if it's true, it's an even more convenient way to connect than RF — which requires two extra adapters (the thingy with the switch and the raw-antenna-wire-to-coax kind) and a screwdriver. Forward compatibility at its finest!
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

jramskov

Postby jramskov » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:54 am UTC

Question: What connector does new phones sold in the USA use for charging?

Since the manufacturers have agreed to use micro usb in Europe, it would make sense for them to use that everwhere...

funda

Postby funda » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:57 am UTC

I'll just leave these images here.

Tagging them would be a chore.

Mini/nano/micro/pico/mega/giga/kilo USB ? eh what ??

One Cord to rule them All.

Once more- for clarity
Poorly updated Blog http://johndasfundas.blogspot.com
Yes, I will clean it up.... later
And badly maintained website :http://www.fundazone.com

not baby Newt

Postby not baby Newt » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:57 am UTC

mojacardave wrote:Surprised nobody has yet mentioned the HTC Hero connection, which is a proprietary USB type. It's now so rare that I can only find one website which claims to stock replacements, and BOTH times I have ordered the part, they've sent a standard Mini-B charger instead.

It got so ridiculous that I gave up on trying to order a 'single-piece' charger, and switched to buying USB data cables for it, and plugs with USB sockets. I'm determined that whatever other features are available by the time my contract expires, the biggest selling point for my next phone will be a standard Micro-B USB connector.

The HTC hero is compatible with mini usb, though it's not particularly well advertised.

MisterH

Postby MisterH » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:04 am UTC

The comic refers to A/C chargers but USB is D/C.

konaya

Postby konaya » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:31 am UTC

Brian-M wrote:

Somewhat. :) Kidding.

Brian-M wrote:And what's all this about "all the other ways"? How many other ways are there? There's the old RF (antenna) cable (popular for connecting VCRs and essential for connecting an ATARI 2600 or Commodore 64), but that's about it. (Unless you count the rarely used VGA socket that some TVs come with.)

Well, there is RCA, VGA, Component video, S-video, SCART (apparently called EIA Multiport over in Yankee territory), that-japanese-thing-that-looks-like-SCART-but-isn't, and RF. I'm probably forgetting some. Also, nowadays we have DVI, HDMI, all manners of horrible cross-breeds between the two (there are for example HDMI ports out there that do not conform to any HDMI standard, but simply is a DVI-to-HDMI adapter internally)

Brian-M wrote:And since almost everything you could connect to a TV still comes with RCA sockets, and all TVs come with RCA sockets, HDMI can hardly be said to have rendered them obsolete. When you buy a new DVD player, is it more likely to come with an RCA cable or a HDMA cable?

Nothing I've bought for the last two or three years have had RCA output. The oldest plugs I've found on a new device was Component.

Also, who would buy a new DVD player in this day and age? I completely understand the decision not to buy a Bluray player, both player and discs being expensive and not worth it, but... I actually had to do a quick search on local large stores, and to answer your question they do come with HDMI, not RCA.

I dunno. Buying a DVD player. Maybe it's because I dumpster dive a lot and come across a half-dozen discarded and perfectly functional DVD players every time, or the fact that all computers today have both a DVD burner (and, therefore, reader) and a no-fuss way of connecting to the TV (DVI, HDMI), but the thought of actually going to a store and say "Hi, I would like to buy a DVD player" seems so... wrong.

MisterH wrote:The comic refers to A/C chargers but USB is D/C.

All chargers charge with a D/C voltage. Find me a battery where the spec says that it wants A/C voltage, and I'll find you a typo. I think the "A/C" in "A/C charger" refers to the input current.

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:41 am UTC

Brian-M wrote:

And since almost everything you could connect to a TV still comes with RCA sockets, and all TVs come with RCA sockets, HDMI can hardly be said to have rendered them obsolete. When you buy a new DVD player, is it more likely to come with an RCA cable or a HDMA cable?

i don't consider you a luddite. I'm guessing you aren't particulalrly interested in high def stuff, but there's nothing wrong with that,

and i can think of at least 5 other ways (Scart, Component, RCA, S-Video, RF, VGA) there's probably more, I won't count VGA (my TV does have VGA input actually, and i do use it occasionally) because that is more for using your TV as a computer monitor. HDMI is just better, since it is a single plug rather than 3, and it does high def video and sound and other information, not just left speaker, right speaker, video. it does everything any previous cable does, better, and then some.

on a side not, my DVD player actually has HDMI out, but that's because it's an upscaler, and i only use it as a surround sound system anyway.

the fact of the matter is that the only reason RCA is still so common is because it's international (unlike scart), simple(unlike compenent), commonplace (unlike s-video), works pretty perfectly (unlike RF) and dead cheap to make the cables, (unlike HDMI) but i'd say the cost of an HDMI cable is definately worth the benefits, if you are interested in that sort of thing.

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:59 am UTC

Brian-M wrote:

The only connector I use on this old TV I have is S-Video from an old desktop to watch films on it. It seems to have better quality than composite, which is the other option I have. Also, most set-top boxes that I've seen here seem to have only SCART and RF as options, IIRC.

BrianB

Postby BrianB » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:36 pm UTC

MisterH wrote:The comic refers to A/C chargers but USB is D/C.

An "A/C" charger (the type for your phone, not the guy who comes and puts freon in your central air) converts AC line voltage to DC inside the (usually) black plastic box. It then sends that DC voltage (~5 Volts in the case of USB) down the cable to the connector and into your cell phone. Inside your cell phone, there is a charge control circuit that translate the DC voltage and current to suitable levels for charging the battery in your device.

Does that clear things up? Or were you trying to make some other point?

palisaide

Postby palisaide » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:10 pm UTC

In case anyone is interested, we are currently in the process of developing an IEEE standard for a Universal Power Adapter for Mobile Devices (UPAMD). The working group is IEEE-SA P1823. The standard includes developing specifications for a universal connector, power supply, and communications protocol for use with devices requiring 240 watts or less. You can get further information at the working group site, http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/msc/upamd/, although many of the documents there are outdated. IEEE Standards Association members are invited to join the working group.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:22 pm UTC

palisaide wrote:In case anyone is interested, we are currently in the process of developing an IEEE standard for a Universal Power Adapter for Mobile Devices ....

Translation : In case anyone is interested, we're doing the joke RIGHT NOW. IN REAL LIFE. COME WATCH!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Czhorat

Postby Czhorat » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:48 pm UTC

Brian-M wrote:

The RF is essentially composite video plus audio. For analog video, in increasing levels of quality, are:

Composite (all video on one cable). RCA or BNC in a professional unit. Some newer displays I've seen don't even use an RCA for composite. They use a 3.5mm T-R-R-S for composite video, two channels of audio, and a common ground like you'd find in a camcorder.
Y/C (S-Video. Chroma on one, luminence on the other). a four-pin Din or 2 BNCs
RGsB (Red Green Blue, sync on green). 3 RCAs, BNCs, or even 3 pairs of connectors on an HD15.
YPbPr (component video). Connectors as above.
RGBHV (analog VGA). 5 BNCs, or an HD15. Or, my favorite named connector, DVI-A.

Then in the digital realm you have HDMI or DVI-D which are essentially the same signal (although DVI doesn't embed audio) and displayport (the main benefit of which is that it's royalty-free).

Then in the broadcast realm you have SDI and HDSDI. And there are various other digital things I'm sure I'm not thinking of, including various proprietary video over structured cable.

So, unless you have pretty old equipment, it's not all RCAs anymore.

xX17GHDUDE17Xx

Postby xX17GHDUDE17Xx » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

funda wrote:I'll just leave these images here.

Mini/nano/micro/pico/mega/giga/kilo USB ? eh what ??

I cut out the other pictures 'cuz I'm nice, but I just wanted to mention that I have had three cell phones in my life. The first one used a charger like the one third from left, the second used the leftmost USB, and the third used the USB between the other two.
"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" -Ghandi

Wrong. All that does is eliminate humanity's depth perception.

kkn

Postby kkn » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:52 pm UTC

Interestingly, the only standard that I have come across that is reasonably standard is the list of country codes. Yes, I know, there is ISO, ITU, FIFA,... but they have a large majority of similar codes.
That said, the EU micro USB step looks encouraging but unimplemented. Also painful is of course the rechargeable batteries thing someone pointed out. Thankfully, both my camera(AA) and phone(microUSB) are standard enough for me to not need lugging those chunky chargers around on day trips.
And how could I forget! Computer hardware is reasonably standardised!
Storage devices(SD won long back for cameras, and microSD for phones. Exceptions are fast disappearing as Sony gave up Memory Stick).
x86 architecture rules the roost for 32 bit architecture, atleast in desktops. x86_64 has the same lead, with ARM, the largest competitor, visible mostly in the mobile sector.
Having taken that into account the only standards that seems to work in technology, seems to be the ones no arbitrary "standards organisations" ratified, with de-facto standards dictating industry direction to a large extent. The largest "official" standard that did work is apparently IEEE 802.11 (roughly translates into Wi-fi for the uninterested layman.)

userxp

Postby userxp » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:26 pm UTC

I propose we make a list of stuff that needs to be standardized:

Fixblor

Postby Fixblor » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:20 pm UTC

userxp wrote:I propose we make a list of stuff that needs to be standardized:
  • A/C chargers
  • Batteries
  • Remote controls
  • Socks
  • Power plugs and sockets (and voltages)

You should totally start an organization that regulates, approves, and otherwise promulgates the many standards out there.
Of course, you could specialize on a particular type of standard, such as electronics; or you could focus on strictly regional standards, like American; or there could be a particular political agenda you want promote, perhaps open standards.
But then you'd have to consider who your competition is ... List of technical standard organizations
So perhaps the real niche to fill is a standards organization for standards organizations.
Call it the Superfluous Organization of Standards, or SOS for short.

...---... I can hear the jingle now.
Last edited by Count Modulus on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:5l am UTC, edited 13 times in total.
06:23, 18 April 2011 SmackBot (talk | contribs) m (90,899 bytes) (Dated {{Dubious}} x 153. (Build p609)) (undo)

userxp

Postby userxp » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:58 pm UTC

Fixblor wrote:
  • A/C chargers
  • Batteries
  • Remote controls
  • Socks

You should totally start an organization that regulates, approves, and otherwise promulgates the many standards out there.
Of course, you could specialize on a particular type of standard, such as electronics; or you could focus on strictly regional standards, like American; or there could be a particular political agenda you want promote, perhaps open standards.
But then you'd have to consider who your competition is ... List of technical standard organizations
So perhaps the real niche to fill is a standards organization for standards organizations.

I think we should all stick to the standard standard, which is ISO...
That's what I would say if they didn't want to charge me CHF 124,00 (that's $152 or 106€) to download standards. You should almost pay people to use your standards, not demand that they pay you ridiculous amounts of money just to know how the header of an MP4 file looks like. :evil:

Vash

Postby Vash » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:57 pm UTC

That's fucking right. Gauge when you can't outcompete something, and just goddamn stop right there. One standard of miniature USB and one standard of full-size USB are good enough. Take a cue from Blu-Ray, or DVD.
Last edited by Vash on Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:47 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

hujackus

Postby hujackus » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:20 pm UTC

I would really like to see an open standard for all drivers that Microsoft would accept. I currently have Win7 in test mode to use XBCD 2.7 to play some PlayStation games. Requiring signed drivers is kind of a pain for developers that don't make any money. I still love using my homemade X-BOX to USB dongle that I made several years ago.

Fixblor

Postby Fixblor » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:04 am UTC

@userxp:
me thinks you've missed me point.
I was gettin all meta up in her on a muthers muther.

Standardize standards, is what I meant.
The idea/joke/riff was to not so much consolidate jurisdiction of many individual standards, and in the process, localize where all the checks get sent, but rather to create a ruling body that governs what it is that defines a standard (and here's the key point) in the broadest sense of the term.
Just a thought. Also, ISO is not the only standard standard, it just happens to have the biggest dick right now.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:58 am UTC

On the topic of male and female plugs, at least humans all conform to the same standard of... actually no, I'm not going to go there.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

StClair

Postby StClair » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:51 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Maybe Randall should start doing stand-up comedy, since a VISUAL MEDIUM is not quite his thing.

Maybe you should start doing... almost anything else, since forum trolling is not quite your thing.

Vash

Postby Vash » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:05 am UTC

EvanED wrote:Hmm, it's entirely possible that my sample is biased, but in my experience this isn't true of relatively recent phones. Of the people I know with smart phones, admittedly a small sample, they all use USB micro except for the iPhone. My previous phone (a Razr) also charged via USB.

Verizon is almost all micro B USB now. I don't think this is maintained across different carriers or types of products, though. I have brand new devices with USB mini B, standard-A, and standard-B.

StClair wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:Maybe Randall should start doing stand-up comedy, since a VISUAL MEDIUM is not quite his thing.

Maybe you should start doing... almost anything else, since forum trolling is not quite your thing.

Well, there is little going on visually at all in this image. It's mostly text. It's not necessarily wrong, but it's not visually exciting. It's more of an entertaining diagram formatted by comic panels also with some organized doodling inside. It's not a comic. Should Randall Munroe aspire to something else? I don't know.

Fixblor wrote:
  • A/C chargers
  • Batteries
  • Remote controls
  • Socks

What are the importance of these different standards organizations, however? I suppose the SOS or something like it (perhaps one article every five years or whatever) would fix that, lol.

xX17GHDUDE17Xx

Postby xX17GHDUDE17Xx » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:13 am UTC

I wish they would all just be one size. How hard could it be!?
"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" -Ghandi

Wrong. All that does is eliminate humanity's depth perception.

jnareb

Postby jnareb » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:14 am UTC

CodexDraco wrote:
Bratmon wrote:I'm surprised nobody mentioned Linux audio yet. While some of the examples in the comic occurred for monopolization reasons or something else greedy, I'm almost positive that the exact conversation in the comic occurred between audio developers at some point.

That image is exaggerated, but yeah sound on Linux used to suck hard. It used the OSS standard and it had all kind of stupid limitations (e.g. you couldn't have playing sound at the same time). Many sound systems were introduced to alleviate it's problems.

Then, ALSA was introduced to replace OSS and sound on Linux was good.

For some reason, ALSA wasn't enough for some and they invented PulseAudio, and sound on Linux sucked again.

Actually PulseAudio fills different place than ALSA. ALSA is about hardware access, PulseAudio is sound server (replacing aRts, ESD, ...). PulseAudio is e.g. responsible for maintaining per application volume control, and was developed with desktop in mind. ALSA has only bare bones mixer, is mainly hardware abstraction: you would use ALSA (+ JACK) for digital audio studio.

Tomo2k

Postby Tomo2k » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:27 am UTC

kkn wrote:Storage devices(SD won long back for cameras, and microSD for phones. Exceptions are fast disappearing as Sony gave up Memory Stick).

Actually, there are four different SD standards - MMC, SD, SDHC and SDXC.
- To be fair, SDHC and SDXC are the same card standard, but are formatted differently 'out-of-the-box' (FAT32 and exFAT).

Then there's SDIO that's closely related though for a slightly different use case (I/O rather than storage)

To make life more fun, MMC readers are not compatible with SD, which are not compatible with SDHC and SDXC, and it's incredibly difficult to tell the difference between an SD card and an SDHC as they look identical - in fact the best way seems to be that anything smaller than 1GB is SD, and anything 4GB or bigger is SDHC. 2GB could be either...

The readers are designed for backwards compatibility, but the cards are not. Which is a shame, as you're more likely to have an older device and need a new card for it than vice-versa.

WyomingPBS

Postby WyomingPBS » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:48 pm UTC

This comic reminds me of an old koan from Geoffrey James' "The Zen of Programming", which goes something like this:

The Master Programmer was cursing at his workstation. The novice entered and asked what was the matter.
"I must use four different editors to do my job because not one of them does everything I need!" replied the Master Programmer.
"Then I shall write a new editor!" cried the novice. "One that combines the features of the other editors! It will solve all your problems!"
Upon hearing this, the Master Programmer struck the novice upon the head.
"Why did you do that?" asked the novice.
"I do not wish to learn yet another editor!" replied the Master Programmer.
And the novice was enlightened.

feyayeruka

Postby feyayeruka » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:15 pm UTC

I can't believe no one pointed it out yet, and I was just discussing this with my partner the other day: The amazement of the standard 3.5mm headphone jack! Seriously, that thing has been around for decades and is still the most widely-acceptable audio-out port. I can use the same headphones in my circa 1983 Walkman as in my iPad, and in my laptop, and my desktop, and my cheapo MP3 player, and my stereo. and pretty freakin well everything. I love that cell phones are now conforming to the all mighty 3.5mm.

see! it can be done!!! can I get a halleluja!

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:09 pm UTC

StClair wrote:

Are you sure? A lot of people have got SERIOUSLY butthurt with me here; I swear that if I was actually trying to troll, I wouldn't have been so successful. It's just that some people get really, really upset by the fact that their opinion is not universal.

Fixblor

Postby Fixblor » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:25 pm UTC

feyayeruka wrote:can I get a halleluja!

No.

As an audiophile and casual noisician, I personally have to deal with 3.5mm(aka 1/8"), as well as: 1/4",and RCA, and XLR, and banana jacks, and BNC, and deal with mods often enough that just keeping alligator clips in my kit at all times is a must.
Keeping in mind whether any one of those is: balanced or unbalanced; mono or stereo; or if it uses phantom power (as using unconventional wiring or lack of shielding can effect bleeding of the signal).
I've also done some messing around with coaxial cables (for running the signal through an antenna gain amplifier), and have seen set-ups that use RJ45 to route through various telephone devices.
The end result is a greater variety of sounds that wouldn't be feasible if only one standard existed.

Variety = Better

Feel free to point out how much this is the exception to your gut-instinct, pretentiously pedantic end-user ideal.
Promote monopolies and group-think if you must, I'll avoid your ass-hattery just the same.

distractedSofty

Postby distractedSofty » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:04 pm UTC

Fixblor wrote:As an audiophile and casual noisician, I personally have to deal with 3.5mm(aka 1/8"), as well as: 1/4",and RCA, and XLR, and banana jacks, and BNC, and deal with mods often enough that just keeping alligator clips in my kit at all times is a must.

While you may lump all those together as "carrying audio", they're not really comparable at all: as feyayeruka said, 3.5mm has an almost complete monopoly on consumer amplified audio output. RCA dominates consumer line level outputs. XLR is pretty universal for speakers, microphones and mixers. The 6.5mm plug dominates instrument connections. Bannana jacks are the home speaker standard. There are a lot of standards for "carrying audio", but they are all standard. Otherwise, you're saying that the wall socket should be standardised with the phone charger, because they both just "carry current".

If you need an adapter for any audio connection, you're probably doing something wrong.

Fixblor

Postby Fixblor » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:28 am UTC

distractedSofty wrote:Otherwise, you're saying that the wall socket should be standardised with the phone charger, because they both just "carry current".

I sure wish I could draw erroneous conclusions like you can.

willpellmn

Postby willpellmn » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:30 am UTC

Am I the only one who thinks this had a different alt-text when it was first posted?

distractedSofty

Postby distractedSofty » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:35 am UTC

Fixblor wrote:
distractedSofty wrote:Otherwise, you're saying that the wall socket should be standardised with the phone charger, because they both just "carry current".

I sure wish I could draw erroneous conclusions like you can.

If it's so erroneous, how about telling me how?

You equivocated say, RCA and XLR. If you know of a good reason that a device with one would ever need to be adapted to the other, I'd love to hear it.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”